WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 09-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186.6/166.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Lowest Points, Best Tasting Peanut Butter

Could you share your favorites for lowest points/best tasting peanut butter. I love it for breakfast in a PB and banana sand and I'm trying to minimize the points. Thanks for your help

Theresa
proulxliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #2  

There is no such thing as low point peanut butter because peanuts are high in points. If you buy low fat, it has added sugar. You can get powdered peanut butter which has some of the fat removed and no sugar and tastes like wallpaper paste but is low in calories. You mix it with water right before you use it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The point value would be the same, so you only save by eating less, but I find that I do use less when I use a fancy nut butter like cashew or almond butter or natural peanut butter (mostly because it's so much more expensive than Skippy and Jif, I think of it as liquid gold).

... but I feel like I have really indulged in decadence (and feeling deprived tends to be an overeating trigger for me).

Another tip that helps me use less, is to microwave nut butters before using (it can dry out natural butters, so I don't microwave it in the jar - though you can and I have in the past). Instead, I'll measure out about a half cup into a small microwave safe bowl and keep it in the fridge.

Straight out of the jar, 2 tbs of peanut butter (especially natural peanut butter if kept in the fridge) doesn't seem like all that much, but when you microwave it until it's runny you can use a lot less, more easily. Also, because warming of any high-fat food increases the flavor, it really doesn't seem like less. The same flavor-punch is there.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Honestly, I just got used to using less peanut butter.

The serving size on my usual brand (Skippy Creamy) is two tablespoons. That comes out to 5 points.

However, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter when spread out is actually plenty flavorful. And that's only 3 points. A lot more reasonable.

Similar to what Kaplods mentioned, it's especially a lot when it's warm and a bit runnier. So I spread it on toast right out the toaster and it's more than enough.

There is a product called "Better'n Peanut Butter". It's not so much peanut butter as it is a peanut spread, though. It was alright. Not peanut butter, but it was peanutty and spreadable. However, it might be something you want to look into, as it has a lot less fat than traditional peanut butters.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I find that using natural ground peanut butter with no added salt/sugar gives more flavor bang for its buck.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #6  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

There is also a peanut butter from walden farms that has 0 calories...don't know what it is made out of but I have tried it..it is not too bad as long as you use it with something like bananna's, toast etc
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

I use natural peanut butter (contains only salt and peanuts) when I do eat it (I avoid it b/c it is a binge-trigger for me), and I use only 1T, which is enough for me. Especially as Lovely said, on warm toast.

That "Better than Peanut Butter" is kind of gross, IMHO. I did not think it even remotely resembled peanut butter. I got it at Trader Joe's, and it was the one time I took advantage of the return policy there. But I tend to be of the mindset that I'd rather take a smaller or less frequent serving of real stuff than 100 servings of some sort-of yucky facsimilie. YMMV.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Peanut butter is a "love" food for me. I don't eat it very often anymore, but when I do, I eat the kind I like, count it and move on!

For me there is no point in eating yukky peanut butter. Now and then on a cold winter night, I love a grilled peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich, dipped in hot chocolate. Like I said, I don't do it very often, but when I do, I'm going to enjoy it!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #9  

kroger natural peanut butter has only some added salt, not added sugar. i don't have a points calculator anymore but probably the ones with added sugar would have more points for calories in that? i like the kroger brand because it's cheaper than some others, and i'm sacrificing a little salt instead of buying the more expensive totally natural ones.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Warning: Walden Farms peanut butter is BAD!

I use PB2, the powdered peanut butter and add H2O, I am satisfied with it. You can also get it in chocolate, which is good heated slightly and put on top of low fat ice-cream or froyo!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Really, PB2 comes in chocolate? I just found a place local that sells the regular PB2. It has a really nice peanutty flavor and low points. But it doesn't have the creamy-ness because it has no fat.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote