3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   WW Food and Point Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-food-point-issues-23/)
-   -   WW snack cakes, will they derail me? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-food-point-issues/234617-ww-snack-cakes-will-they-derail-me.html)

OnceUponADrive 06-01-2011 07:00 PM

WW snack cakes, will they derail me?

I am new to Weight Watchers, just started last week through work and have my first weigh in tomorrow. I bought a few of their different snacks (the brownies, cookies, and little twinkies) as well as mini soy ice cream sandwiches which are 2 points. So far I seem to have quite a few points left by the end of the day and sometimes have 2 snack cakes instead of just one since I was told it's important to get to my target of 29 points a day. Is that a bad idea? Or does this points thing really work out regardless of whether I'm eating two sugary treats at the end of the day?

Bellbefore 06-01-2011 07:19 PM

I find that I do best when I stay away from daily sweets. I think we need to learn that sweets are occasional treats and not a daily thing. Maybe adding more veggies during meals will fill in your points and help establish a new way of eating. Best of luck!! I lost 115 pounds with WW and have kept it off since 2005.

ALEKS 06-01-2011 07:35 PM

I find that such a slippery slope..I am a sugar addict. (I however eat only clean now, I'll have 2 squares of 90% chocolate every couple days) You shouldn't use treats to fill up your goal, it's not really learning anything...

My suggestion to you, is to eat a handful of almonds or walnuts..I'm sure that will eat up quite a bit of points.

Robin 06-02-2011 07:29 AM

I agree with eating nuts instead! They're a lot of points for very little but it's healthy fat and it'll take up those end of the day points quickly.

yoyoma 06-02-2011 07:46 AM

I'm not on WW atm, but I agree that if you are coming up short on points at the end of the day you should probably incorporate more healthy fats into your diet rather than add another sweet. Nuts are a great idea. You could use some EVOO on your salad or drizzled on your veggies or work to incorporate some servings of servings of salmon or avocado/guacamole into your diet. Good luck!

josey 06-02-2011 10:33 AM

With WW you can use your points however you like. Well apart from the Health Guidelines. It works! You can have a lot of sweets and still lose. Your choice! I think if 2 cakes keep you on plan, go for it. I find that with chocolate some weeks I really need it and plan it into my points, some weeks I have to stay away from it otherwise I would never make it on plan.

OnceUponADrive 06-02-2011 05:08 PM

Thanks for the advice. I always have major sweets cravings after dinner, which is why I need to have those treats around. My first weigh in was today and I lost 5.8 pounds this week! So it couldn't have harmed me too much! I will definitely limit it to no more than 1 sweet treat per day and only when I have an intense craving.

Lovely 06-02-2011 05:17 PM

I know a certain person around 3FC who lost over 100lbs and had dessert every single night. Granted it wasn't a huge dessert, but they chose to indulge in a little something every day so that they didn't feel deprived.

As long as you're getting in mostly healthy foods and following the GHG, then a nightly treat (long as it doesn't get out of hand) is DEFINITELY doable and on plan.

Best of wishes to you on your journey!

yoyoma 06-02-2011 07:49 PM

Just to be clear, I would also suggest that you budget yourself a daily treat (I do it for myself). But if you are concerned about trying to reach a goal of 29 points, it would be better to make sure there are enough healthy fats in your diet first before adding an extra treat just to reach your point allotment. It seems likely that if you are having trouble reaching that number, you might be skimping on the healthy fats.

MrsD2008 06-08-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyoma (Post 3875481)
Just to be clear, I would also suggest that you budget yourself a daily treat (I do it for myself). But if you are concerned about trying to reach a goal of 29 points, it would be better to make sure there are enough healthy fats in your diet first before adding an extra treat just to reach your point allotment. It seems likely that if you are having trouble reaching that number, you might be skimping on the healthy fats.

This was really true for me. It took me a few weeks to start incorporating the Healthy Oils into my plan. Now I do it with what I deem the "easy way out" so I don't have to think too much about it. I was steaming my veggies for dinner, which was good. But now I either grill, bake or broil them with 2 tsp of EVOO or 2 tsp of Canola oil, which ever I have on hand. The 2 tsp adds 2 points+, but I'm getting my healthy oils in. If I'm not using the oven or grill for anything that night, I'm most likely having salad with my dinner, so I will use the oil on that. Or, if I'm "indulging" I have a pasta recipe I got from Spark People that has garlic infused EVOO in it.

OnceUponADrive 06-08-2011 07:08 PM

Yeah I'm definitely forgetting the healthy oils, I need to try to work those in.

Bellbefore 06-08-2011 07:13 PM

Wonderful weight loss!!! Keep it up!

demitasse 06-18-2011 11:21 PM

I don't think you are in trouble if you can stop at two. Unfortunately for me the desserts all desserts actually are trigger foods for me and I eat the box if they are around. Anyone else with this problem? How do youndeal with it?

Lovely 06-18-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demitasse (Post 3897359)
I don't think you are in trouble if you can stop at two. Unfortunately for me the desserts all desserts actually are trigger foods for me and I eat the box if they are around. Anyone else with this problem? How do youndeal with it?

I don't eat them. I don't keep foods in my house that are trigger foods or would tempt me to eat more of them.

My one old leader spoke about this often.

Her thing was cookies. She could eat an entire box of cookies if it was in her house. So cookies in the house were not an option.

If she really wanted a cookie, she was certainly allowed to go out and buy one or two gourmet cookies and eat them outside of her home. But they were NOT allowed in her house.

I think about that in terms of a lot of dessert type foods. If I want real ice cream, I can go and get some great ice cream locally. If I want one of something, I can always go out and get one of something. I don't have to keep it in my house.