NOT eating enough points?

• Had a rough day at work today & was not able to eat all the things I brought with me, my total that I ate for the day was 11! so do I eat something bad? LOL well I cant stop myself now, I scooped myself a bowl of grapenut pudding, but probally only ate 1/2 cup of it I dont knwo how many points that is, but what happens in the future if I cant eat at work again?

debbie
  • I was on the old points system years ago, I'm joining WW again tomorrow morning for the new points plus (I've put on 20 pounds in the past 3.5 years) and I know on the old points system, that if you ate less points than 18 (that was the absolute minimum on the old system) that it had adverse effects - i.e. your body won't lose weight because your'e starving yourself. Long term starvation and your body will start going after your muscle mass for protein and energy after it depletes your stored carbs.
    That's to my knowledge, so I wouldn't take my absolute word for it. But do make an effort to take in your daily points total.
  • I think it depends on what you're bringing to work. Do you have things on hand that you can quick grab in case of busy days?

Nuts or dried fruit? They're more points, but they'll give you energy. If you're SUPER busy you can also try types of protein shakes or drinks.

After work on a day you can't eat a lot, I'd focus on grabbing a piece of fruit to eat while I made a good-sized (but not overwhelming) dinner. Maybe sneak a little healthy oil in the meal, too.
  • Like Lovely said:
    Healthy oils--add them to veggies, gives more points, but isn't "bad" for you.
    Same with nuts, add to salads or eat as is.

Dried fruit--has a point value VS fresh/canned/frozen fruit (with no added sugar or juices) but still not terribly bad for you. Trail mixes and granola are another option too. I miss these things and once a month or so I will use my activity or weekly allowance towards these.
    Milk! Since starting WW I drink wayyyyy less milk. The biggest reason is I don't like drinking my points and I get my dairy in elsewhere.
    Try full fat versions of things you normally eat (dairy, etc.).
    Fat Free ice cream! During the winter if I had extra points at the end of the day, I would scoop 1/2 cup of FF vanilla ice cream into a coffee or hot cocoa. With the coffee it was 2-3 pts+ depending on the brand of ice cream and with the sugar free cocoa it was 3-4 pts+ depending on the brand of ice cream. And soo yummy too!
  • You gotta just plan ahead. I don't think once in a blue moon hurts, but if you go that low regularly it is going to cause you some other problems.

I don't believe in starvation mode, the idea just has no scientific basis. But there is a myriad of other issues that can happen from not eating enough....hair loss, depression, loss of mental faculties, chronic digestive difficulties, and even failure of the heart and other organs.

Maybe stock your purse and desk with emergency convenience foods, like plastic baggies with whole grain cereal or crackers, fiber one bars, fruit, etc?

As far as making up points when you haven't eaten enough, why not have something naughty? I would. If you can fit it into your points, and you otherwise eat reasonably healthy, there is nothing that should be strictly off limits.
  • I have been having trouble eating at work.

I started to bring in food I can eat on the run. I keep it in a big insulated lunch bag. If I cannot eat at work then I eat it while I drive home. Usually I can grab something here and there.

If I am busy and know I won't really be able to eat something I will grab it when I can. It's not the best situation, but it keeps me on track If I have a few minutes I will eat a piece of fruit then maybe 1 1/2 or 2 hours later I grab part of a sandwich and I started to make wraps since I can pick that up easier to eat it.

It is really hard when you can't sit down and eat, when you can't even get in a 15 minute break to eat a quick lunch.
  • I just started WW for the first time and Monday I only ate 12 points, and I ate more than I wanted to Tuesday just to get to 25...because I'm supposed to eat 38! I get full so easily, so I don't know what to do. Bah!
  • Quote: I just started WW for the first time and Monday I only ate 12 points, and I ate more than I wanted to Tuesday just to get to 25...because I'm supposed to eat 38! I get full so easily, so I don't know what to do. Bah!
    You're going to have to make a list of everything you're eating on the days you can't get in enough points.

Every once in a while we're sure to be under our daily points...some days we aren't hungry. But it CANNOT be a regular thing, as that might be detrimental to our long-term weight loss plans and health.

Did you go immediately for Fat Free/low cal versions of foods? You may actually need to simply use the "regular" versions of foods to fill up on points while controlling portion.
  • Quote: My firsts WW meeting tonight went well. I signed up for the 8 week deal and was surprised that they said I had 29 points, I was sure it would have been much less. I did have to push up my weight on the numbers (I weigh 167 and not 165), but would love it if someone would let me know how to download a goal bar like a lot of you have?!

You're allowed a ticker after you have made 20 posts and have been a member of 3FC for 20 days. =)

Quote:
    Tomorrow is my first day at this, maybe will start at the Y tomorrow if I can get into gear to exercise in the morning. Any advice for the first few days?
    First few days... Hmm. Don't rush it. Make changes that you know you can sustain =) And ask questions when you have them. Don't allow frustration to set in while you're learning.
  • Congrats on joining WW and good luck with the program

Points-wise, 29 is the least amount of points that you are given on Points Plus. Also, in order to have one of the tickers on the bottom of your posts, you need to have 20 total posts. You're almost there!