35 Any time Points.... friend or Foe?

• Hey guys,

I've heard, and I'm sure you've all heard too, that NOT eating your extra 35 points a week can actually cause you to lose LESS weight. That you have to use ALL of your extra 35 in order to get the best results.

That makes a certain amount of sense because it shocks the metabolism, I guess. But, still, it also makes sense that I would lose more by eating fewer points in a week. .... Thoughts? What's your experience been?
  • I have found that for me personally using half of my allowance points I lose more. For instance last week I used 7 of them and lost 6lbs, this week I used all but 6 and only lost 1.2.

Play with it a bit and see what works best for YOU
  • I haven't used any yet and have lost 6.2 pounds in my first 2 weeks. I am a little scared to use them, a little too much freedom is not a good thing for me, I need black and white!
  • I just began WW again, because I did so well a few years ago with it. If I used any of my 'extra' points at all, it is rarely over 10 or so...My first week back I lost 2.6. happy with that! I don't feel like I would lose if I used all of them, but then, that's me. I think that if you are hungry and need to eat, I would use some of them, but I wouldn't just eat them because they are 'there'. Does that make sense?
  • So what I'm hearing is that no one thinks you HAVE to use your extra points to lose. That sounds right. I think I'll save them for particularly problematic restaurants and special occasions. Thanks, guys!
  • I think using them has helped me maintain long-term success on WW, but everyone is different. If it feels like a diet, it won't last and the points allow you some freedom to be human. Just my .02.
  • This is my second major time doing WW (gained weight back after I quit smoking) and I am finding the 35 extra points makes this so much easier. I use all of mine, and I am still losing 1 pound a week (all I ever lost on the older point system) but am much happier.
  • I have to be careful. I can use some but definately not the entire 35. But everyone is different.
  • could NOT live without them.....I really try to use the allotted daily points on filling foods, so I need the 35 to splurge on the wild side a bit! I don't find they hinder loss at all. In fact, I know ppl who choose to never use them and they don't seem to have any greater success than those who do...but that is just my opinion, no science behind it.
  • I've only been doing this for 7 weeks, and have lost consistently each week, but I rarely go over my daily points. The weeks I have used some of the weekly 35, I haven't lost as much.
  • I only use them when absolutely necessary. Like my job having an event and I HAVE to eat the food.

Four weeks in and I've lost 17 lbs without touching my 35 weekly.
  • I use most of them but tend to not use my activity points. In a typical week I will earn 10-15 activity points and then have the 35 points. I could then use all that. I usually will use 25 or so points of it but it varies.
  • I was just wondering about this issue myself. I guess I'll have to experiment and see what works the best for me.

I do love having a safety net there to allow more freedom when things come up.
  • I am so afraid to use them in the beginning of the week because who knows what will come up at the end of the week and I don't want to use them right before I weight in because I like to think that they wont allow me to lose the maximum amount of weight.

I enjoy the fact that they are there for when I want to use them though.