Diet Soda Cake

• I've made cakes in the past where you use diet soda and omit the eggs and the oil. I'm trapped in my house today due to snow and while rummaging around in my cabinet I found a cake mix. I was planning on making cupcakes, but I noticed that it's a butter recipe and it calls for a stick of butter. What I'm wondering is if it will turn out if I just make it with the soda.

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.
  • Skip the egg and oil , just use soda and cake mix, I've done it. it turns out great !
  • My supervisor makes cake/cupcakes like this all the time. They come out really dense and yummy.
  • Yes AND SUPER MOIST!!! I've made cupcakes and they were really good! Didn't even need icing!!!
  • what a great find...but
    but how much soda in place of eggs and oil...and do you reduce the heat,and bake time? thanks so much for posting this.~choices
  • What kind of diet soda is best for something like this? Does it work with any old box cake mix? Sorry to interject with even more questions...this just got me really curious!
  • My supervisor just mixes her favorite Funfetti cake mix with 1 can (12 oz) sugar free Sierra Mist. I think she bakes it the recommended amount on the box. I bet a chocolate cake mix would be good with Diet Coke/Pepsi.
  • I've only ever used Diet Coke with any chocolate cake mix...but I've heard you can use Diet Sprite/Sierra Mist for a white cake mix...and I think I've read something about using Diet Dr. Pepper with choclate cake mix...google diet cake and you might get some different ideas

Just use 1 can (I think 12oz) and follow baking time/temp on box
  • Do know the points?
    Thanks SO much for the imput..I think I'll try this since the weather is still cold,and the oven being on warms the house.Choices~
  • A recent Hungry girl newsletter suggests Funfetti cake mix with a can of diet A&W cream soda. Glad to see Diet Sierra Mist will work as I have been unable to find the Diet Cream Soda.
  • the diet cream soda sounds yummy! We have done it with diet orange & a white cake mix which turned out fairly well.
  • How do you count the points?

lukesmom