good tasting tortillas

• Does anyone have a favorite brand of tortilla? I've tried the Tortilla Factory ones and they seem to have a rubbery thick texture that I don't like. I like whole wheat but haven't really found a good fit.
  • I know you're going to think I'm crazy, but I make my own.

Now that I'm needing to avoid gluten (or at least wheat), it's about my only choice (the gluten free tortillas are insanely expensive).

Even when I was using regular white or whole wheat flour, I was shocked at how easy it is to make tortillas and other flatbreads like roti and naan (I think they're easier and nearly as fast as making pancakes from a mix).

Usually the recipes are very simple only flour, salt, water, and sometimes a bit of butter or oil. Generally you just want to mix just enough to form a smooth dough (really quickly, not much kneading, because long kneading can make a no-yeast bread tough).

Really, it sounds like it's a lot more work than it really is. For me, it's also a great way to portion control breads - because there's never ready-to-eat bread in the house (bread is a problem food for me). Bread is a temptation, but flour isn't. Even though I know I can make a tortilla or other flat bread in about 15 minutes start-to-finish, looking at the canister of flour in the pantry, just isn't as tempting as a package of tortillas or a loaf of bread.

Of course, that's assuming I make a small enough batch (I usually cut the recipe down so that it only makes 4 tortillas - one or two for me, and two or three for hubby.
  • Whole Foods has a pretty good corn tortilla, it has 3 ingredients, corn, water and lime. (maybe salt too).

I really like the Whole Wheat reduced carb tortillas from Trader Joe's. They are good and only 50 calories per tortilla.
  • I'm like Nelie, I generally go for a corn tortilla instead of a flour tortilla. Tastier too, at least to me.

I have long liked a good soft flour tortilla, but is more of an addictive enjoyment rather than an appreciative enjoyment. Flour is like that
  • kaplods: man, some homemade tortillas sound really good but I totally suck at cooking anything with flour (with the exception of gravy :P ). I made some rolls about 10 years ago that came out like hockey pucks and that pretty much scared me off of trying to do anything bready.

I do like corn tortillas and they are pretty low calorie, so maybe I will just stick with that. I will check out the Trader Joe's whole wheat tortillas, thanks for the suggestion. Any excuse to go to TJ's is good for me!
  • i just found a brand called "Ole" at kroger and they have a high fiber tortilla for 1pt and it tastes pretty good!
  • Quote: kaplods: man, some homemade tortillas sound really good but I totally suck at cooking anything with flour (with the exception of gravy :P ). I made some rolls about 10 years ago that came out like hockey pucks and that pretty much scared me off of trying to do anything bready.
    That's what I found so amazing - SO DO I!

I'm a pretty good cook otherwise, but I would never make yeast breads without a bread machine, and that doesn't really count since all you do is put the ingredients in the pan, and presh a button.

Once or twice I've made buscuits from Bisquick mix that didn't completely suck.

Oh, and I can make banana bread (but those kinds of breads aren't really breads, they're more like muffins, and the secret with muffins batter is to mix as little as possible).
  • kaplods: haha I can definitely make muffins and stuff like that, but I applaud you for being able to make bread (even with a bread machine, it still is an accomplishment!) and biscuits. It's my mission in life to learn how to make bread. My brother back in the 70s was part of a commune and he learned how to make the best bread. Too bad he lives on the other side of the country from me.
  • That's what's so great about the bread machine, you measure and dump, in the order specified (all the recipes say that's very important, I have no idea what happens if you get the order wrong, I'm not brave enough to test it).

I wouldn't have been brave enough to use a bread machine if I had to buy itmyself. I inherited the two I've ever owned (the from my mother, and then after that machine died, my MIL passed me hers, which she was replacing with some fancy machine that also made jam and yogurt).
  • I like the Ortega whole wheat tortillas.

I love my bread machine. I try to use it at least once a week. I want to use it more because I really don't want to eat bread or other things that has more than 15 ingredients in them.
  • You guys are making me want a bread machine! Actually, I've been wanting one for a while...ah, the smell of fresh baked bread. Not to mention all the healthy breads and pizza dough I can make. Jams and yogurt? That IS a fancy machine!
  • Does anybody else use the Flat Out bread wraps instead of tortillas? I've pretty much sworn off tortillas after discovering them. I buy them in a 3-pack at Costco, six wraps per package. They are YUMMY, and so low in points because they are so high in fiber.

I've made pizzas, ham wraps, chicken wraps, etc. All delicious!
  • I use the flat out bread sometimes..they aren't too bad but I find they are better for making pizzas. I really like the La Tortilla one's..but I think they go by a different name now.