WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #1  

Default Having a bit of a problem with WW

My daughter (freshman in college) and I started last week. I lost 3.8 lbs the first week ans she lost 0. She was so disappointed since she really sticks to it and counts every little point and makes sure she has all her extra things like water, dairy, protein. She's getting discouraged already!

We can't figure out what to eat. What I mean is she is always on the run. She packs a good lunch to eat on campus during her breaks then comes home to run off to work.

What kind of meals can she make that she can eat quick. She has always been a picky eater and won't eat frozen food, beef, fish or pork. So any ideas I would love?
angel-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I know when I'm on the go I'll make a wrap with light Flat Out bread (1pt), FF mayo, ww cheese, thin sliced chicken breast, turkey breast or smoked ham (both 6 slices for 1 pt), then load it up with tomatoes, baby spinach, etc & roll it up then run out the door!

When you are on it longer meal ideas do get a bit easier....oh yeah and the cookbooks are awesome! The new Momentum one has great ideas for quick lunches

Tell her hang in there! If she sticks to it, the weight loss will happen
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #3  

Thanks!!!

I guess being a returning WW memeber I am not aware of the new foods that are out. I didn't realize that Flatout bread was so low.

I think I will have to invest in a cookbook so we can eat some decent meals.

Thanks again!!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

Do you have the e-tools or do WW online? If so there is a section on the online points tracker that is called recipe builder...if you have some favorite recipes you can plug it in there to the get the points value and if it's too high there is an option to make it healthier. Plus lots of recipes on there (I think they there are 1500 of them)
Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 6

Sandwiches are always good. I use Arnolds brand wheat sandwich thins. You can find them in the bread isle. They are one point and taste great. Things I typically eat: fruits, veggies, hardboiled eggs, hummus, yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, 100 calorie pudding, sugar free jello, weight watchers crackers that I buy at the meetings, special K protein bars.
Hope that helps!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #6  

Location: Ft Campbell KY/Clarksville TN - studying in Vancouver BC

S/C/G: 220/113/100

Height: 5'5''

If she's that picky she may do better with just straight calorie, fat, and fibre counting instead of points.
Tristesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I loved to take some very low cal pita wraps, a little fresh sliced turkey, cottage cheese, and a bunch of green bell peppers and sliced cucumbers. As far as on the road, there are some nutrition bars like Lune that are ony about 3 points that are mighty tasty. I have a big iced coffee during the day to keep my hunger a bay for most of the afternoon. It also helps propel me to workout. After my workout, I have a big steaming pile of greens and tomatoes, maybe a little chicken.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #8  
Loving life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristesse View Post
If she's that picky she may do better with just straight calorie, fat, and fibre counting instead of points.
Ummm that is what counting points is
Old 02-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #9  

She just got home from work and I made her two pizzas. One light Thomas's English muffin, Pizza sauce, WW mozzarella cheese and 4 slices of pepperoni. I figure at the most it was 4 points.

I ran up to the store for a few things and while there I looked for the Flatout bread. They didn't have it but i know another grocery that does have it. I'll try that one.

As far as Yogurt, is there a Yogurt that is really low in points that does not have Aspartame? (we won't use it )

I will get the crackers at the next meeting.

We are meeting people but I was thinking of joining etools. To be budget conscious we were trying to maybe do every other week meetings. Her go one week and I go the next week.

I really appreciate your help here. This board is so helpful!!! opposed to the WW community board.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #10  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

That kind of a schedule is rough. I remember once when I was teaching AND had an afternoon/evening job, I had to leave home at 6 in the morning carrying three meals with me (or planning a take out lunch). I took hard boiled eggs, rolled ham, melba toast, sandwiches, fruit, carrot sticks. And I bought yogurt and diet sodas at take out places. Planning has always been key for me.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #11  
Loving life!!

For yogurt what I do is the fat free plain yogurt, mix in fresh fruit and add splenda to sweeten...run it through a blender and tada! Low point yogurt that tastes awesome (plus it's simply filling/core)! I do larger batches so I can have a few days worth ready for me to grab.

I totally forgot about the recipes on these WW boards too Those should help give you ideas.

I hear ya about the WW boards on their site...ugh They give off a bad vibe! Totally not how it should be.

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 02-07-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:40 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
Ummm that is what counting points is
Yes, I realise that thank you. HOWEVER:

WW builds in extra calories for veggies and other 0 point foods that this girl IS NOT EATING. She may be eating SO LITTLE that she's shutting down her metabolism (aka starvation mode) which is entirely possible. 19 points is just under 1100 calories, which we all know is not healthy. If she's not eating these 0 point foods and is meticulously sticking to her points allowance she may be under eating.

So it may be better for her to just try eating a diet that is 1200 calories and making sure it's high in fibre, low in fat as opposed to using points.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #13  
Loving life!!

Why not help her try and eat all of her points in a healthy manner instead of telling her to do something else? She's just started. Besides you do not know how many points she is eating in a day? It could be she is going into a "starvation mode" but then again we don't know the specifics of what she is or isn't eating, activity (other than going to school), etc

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 02-08-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
Why not help her try and eat all of her points in a healthy manner instead of telling her to do something else? She's just started. Besides you do not know how many points she is eating in a day? It could be she is going into a "starvation mode" but then again we don't know the specifics of what she is or isn't eating, activity (other than going to school), etc
She *IS* eating all of her points. And apparently doing well with that. But what it seems like is that she's not eating enough if she's so picky. WW is no good if you're a really picky eater honestly.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #15  

If you miss a week you still have to pay for it so there isn't any savings in you going one week and her the next. The best value is Monthly Pass, if it is available in your area. All your meetings and free etools for $39.95 a month which works out to about $9.95 a meeting.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote