WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 01:45 PM   #1  

Default pot roast?

I want to make a pot roast for Christmas day. I have never done one and I KNOW that Iam getting an oval crock pot (I asked Santa for it and I even showed him exactly the one that I want). I need a nice recipe and what kind of roast should I get? As soon as I open my present on that day I want to set it up and let it cook while we watch a movie in our new DVD player that Santa is bringing to my hubby (which he has no idea that is comming). Any ideas? Thank you so much I really appreciate it.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:13 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

I usually just put in any roast (I like rump roast) with some potatoes, carrots, onions and a bit of garlic. I usually put in about 1/2 cup of water too. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and let it cook all day. Not really much of a recipe but I like it.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:49 PM   #3  

Default Pot Roast

The ONLY time I use my crockpot is for pot roast. I usually buy a chuck roast-good quality, minimal fat-throw it in the pot early morning, let it cook all day long and then use the juices to make gravy for the mashed potatoes. My families favorite.
-debbie in Seattle
Old 12-11-2001, 11:34 AM   #4  

Default pot roast

Thank you so much for your answers. Now I know how to do it!
Old 12-11-2001, 02:56 PM   #5  
Proud Canadian

I've found that if I brown the roast before I set it to cook, it stays juicier. of course then you have the added fat of whatever you brown it in.
KT
Old 12-12-2001, 03:05 PM   #6  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Horsey Girl,
I have sprayed a pan with Pam to brown my pot roast and sear it over a pretty hot heat. It browns up fine, is a little tricky to handle because it will stick a bit, but I like that I don't need the extra fat. If you tried this and didn't like it, you could always add more fat at the moment.
234/209/199 soon
Old 12-12-2001, 04:10 PM   #7  

Taina:

I cook cabbage in with mine also--it cooks in all the juices and is YUMMY!!!!
Old 12-13-2001, 02:00 PM   #8  

I do it pretty much like Kelly S, but I also add parsnips. They're delicious. I'll also sometimes use a bit of red wine or beer instead of/in addition to water. Makes it soooo tasty. Have fun! Can't go wrong with pot roast.
Old 12-14-2001, 02:02 PM   #9  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

A chef once taught me that when you brown meat, it always sticks at first. But you need to let it cook a bit and it will release from the pan. So, be a little patient with your meat and you'll get a good result.

Lin
Old 12-15-2001, 04:25 AM   #10  

Hi, Taina -- congrats on your Christmas present to be, a crockpot! I use mine a lot.

When I do a roast I buy a chuck roast because it is flatter than a rump roast, and in my case, flatter roasts cook more to my satisfaction. I cut up some potatoes, carrots and onions (chunks of each) and put them on the bottom of the crockpot (be sure to spray the inside of the crock pot first with Pam for easier cleanup), then I lay the meat on top of them. I mix two cans of cream of mushroom soup with one package of Lipton dry onion soup and pour that mixture over the roast. Plug in the crock pot (caution! I have been known to forget to plug it in...) and turn it to low to cook all day long, or on high if you are only cooking it for a few hours. I hope you like this recipe; it a hand-me-down from my family.

Enjoy your new CD player, and have a merry Christmas.

Blessings!
Old 12-19-2001, 03:30 PM   #11  

Default pot roast

Hi Girls:

Thank you so much for all your ideas about the pot roast. I am planning to take each of one of your tips & ideas and use them on my pot meal. You guys have a Wonderfull Holidays enjoy every minute of it with your family and let them know how much you love them. And remember eat well and healthy and if you go crazy with food it's fine too you have the next day or weeks to go back on track. God bless you all.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:10 AM   #12  
CIN

Tania
I read with great interest how everyone told you they make theirs..mine is a family favorite and EVERYONE ask me how I make it!!! The secret is keeping the juices in it. I buy a boneless chuck roast.........with the least amount of marbeling)..use Adolphs meat tenderizer.then salt and pepper and wrap the entire roast in aluminum foil.cover with water and cook all night and part of morning.......remove carefully.drain of liquid............place on a plate and remove all visible fat.then place back in the juice in the crockpot and shred...(throw away foil).............it is so wonderful.it melts in your mouth!

I have an oval shaped crock pot and love it!

WW Cin
Old 12-25-2001, 11:00 AM   #13  

Hi Lots of great ideas here... I take a can of coke and a bottle of chile sauce( by the catsup section), pour over a round roast(less fat) and put in my crockpot over nite. My family's favorite. You can shred it for hot beef sandwiches which is really good. Add onion and a little garlic when cooking.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:00 PM   #14  

TAINA, how was your crock pot roast? Hope you were pleased with the results, and that your dh liked his new DVD player. Happy new year!
Closed Thread