Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #16  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Chris,
We're always glad to hear from you. We know you haven't abandoned your Turtle Buddies! School's almost out and you'll feel free.

Princess,
Looks like you and I are keeping the dentists busy. How are you feeling now?
Pain gone and back to normal, I hope!
I live about 30 miles from NYC on Long Island. Long Island is a really cool place to live. It's pretty flat and we have an ocean to the south of us and the sound to the north which connects us to Connecticut. I'm pretty much in the middle and have a swimming pool in my backyard. LOL! I grew up here and returned once I finished college to work, meet my dh, and have my dfamily. Love it here! We have a "coliseum" where sports events take place and ice skating shows, and concerts. Near the coliseum is a huge tree and that's the one I was talking about. Although I love NYC, I get there seldom because of the crowds, so I do most things right here on LI. We have great restaurants and a strong WW organization which was just sold to WW International. Okay=-nuff about me.
Yesterday food wise was great. I headed to the dentist to have her replace a filling I had cracked and since I neeeeeeeed novacaine, I couldn't eat for a bit. Had Core foods yesterday. DD and Dsil and Dgrandbaby stopped in for dinner which they picked up at Panera's. I had a garden soup (two servings)
which didn't need to be pointed out because the "potato and macaroni" were so miniscule I didn't count more than 5 tiny pieces. Yay! Enabled me to have some delicious sourdough bread dunked in the soup to soften it up. Pointed that out. Ate great yesterday. I am looking for a good weekend--no plans--will put a chicken dish in crockpot tomorrow in case dd and family come out and that will keep me Core. Am looking forward to a good WI. My ds let me know his plans for Christmas and now everyone can make plans. Instead of trying to rush everything and head out next weekend, he prefers to take a couple of days off and come for the New Year. I think this is definitely a plan we can all live with and I can't wait.

Ariana,
Okay, you travel, work long hours, get to the gym, and sew for recreation and you have finished your Christmas shopping?
Wow!!!!! You are amazing. Good for you. I've got a really good run on Christmas shopping as well since the thoughts of preparing for Christmas last year almost did me in! Last year December was the pits--if you remember, I got locked in a car wash, don't ask!, fell down the last two steps of my stairs and ended up at a podiatrist, and rushed around like a maniac buying all the presents for my family and friends. My dh and dd used to do the bulk of this while I was working, but since the grandbaby arrived, all routines are kaput!
He's well worth it, trust me, but I ended up doing an enormous amount of work. I also did Halloween party, Thanksgiving, and two Christmas weekends because DS and his family aren't here on Christmas day. To top it all off, my two dd's and baby stayed for 11 days. Egads! I don't know how I survived.
But I do know that I strayed from my goal of onederland and haven't gotten near there since. So what I just discovered in writing this is that I have to put more effort into my weight loss and don't just skim by with maintaining.
Good for me! I pushed myself this November to get most of my shopping done and wrapped and now I can look at December with reasonable expectations.

Okay--sorry I'm so long-winded today.
Bandit, how are you? Do you still do Curves?
Mousie, come back if you can.
Good luck to us all this weekend.
Judy
Old 12-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #17  

Talking My Favorite Stew -- One of My All Time Favorite Recipes!

Hello Ladies! I'm checking in very briefly on the weekend because I have been sorting through a pile of paperwork, and I found a sticky reminding me to post this recipe for everyone once I had the point counts.

The Points: I calculated the points here myself, using a combination of nutrition facts on the backs of containers and the point estimates in the WW food guide book. If you divide this into four servings (four hearty servings!), it's 7 points a serving. If you halve the olive oil, it goes down to 5.5 points a serving. I have a specific small container that I use to store my lunches, and I found myself dividing the soup into even smaller portions because that was all that would fit into my lunch containers; if you run into a similar problem, just divde 28 by the number of servings you end up with, if you make a single batch, or 56 by the number of servings you end up with, if you make a double batch, to get your point values. Because of my small lunch containers, I actually ended up with 3 point servings, so I added a slice of cheese to bring it up to 5 (3 points is too lean for a lunch, IMHO.) This recipe goes very well with grated cheddar cheese, but remember to add the points; it is also excellent by itself.

Introduction to My Favorite Stew This is one of my all-time favorite recipes, and it freezes excellently, and it tastes even before after it has had a day in the fridge for the flavors to meld, but it is also EXCELLENT fresh. I usually double this and make a huge batch, but if you double it, I would suggest only using 1.5x the normal amount of broth, not 2x the normal amount -- it's too watery that way.

And Now, Drum Roll...The Recipe!

Mexican vegetable stew

Yield: 4 Servings at 7 points each (5.5 points each if you halve the olive oil)

¼ cup Olive oil

4 garlic cloves, minced (I use minced garlic from a jar; find it in your produce section if you don't already have some at home)

2 large Onions, diced (I guesstimate the amount using frozen onions, much easier)

1 teaspoon ground Cumin

28 ounce plum tomatoes w/juice (any kind of roughly chopped tomatoes will do)

8 cups Vegetable stock (don't use chicken broth, it doesn't taste as good)

½ teaspoon Salt (I leave this out, because canned goods contain salt)

2 Carrots, thinly sliced (I guesstimate with baby carrots, chopped in half, or left whole)

3 medium Zucchini, sliced

15 ounces canned Kidney beans

2 cups fresh or frozen Corn kernals

(Grated Cheddar Cheese and Corn Chips are optional.)

In a 6 to 8-quart pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic, onions, and cumin 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the tomatoes (roughly chopped) with their juice, the vegetable stock, salt and pepper; bring the mixture to a boil. Add the carrots and cook 15 minutes, then add the zucchini and cook 5 to 10 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender, not mushy. Add the kidney beans and corn and cook 2 minutes. Remove 2 cups of the stew, puree it in the blender or food processor, then return it to the pot. This will nicely thicken the stew. Tast to adjust the seasoning.

For additional points: If desired, sprinkle on grated cheddar cheese and break a few corn chips over each serving.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #18  
Chick

Dear Ariana,
thanks for posting this fabulous stew. Just a thought, without the chips and cheese (I'd need to use ff cheese) the stew is completely Core. Thought you'd like to know. I am going to make this ASAP to have on hand for lunches and a quick supper.
Judy
Old 12-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Default Happy Monday All!

Well it is just too cold here! A whopping 12 degrees and my little space heater that I use at my desk is working overtime to keep up! I pray that it makes it thru another year since I run it all year round. I work with all men and in the summer they keep the air conditioner set very cold and in the winter it is also set to very cold! I wear at least 3-4 layers of clothing on any given day in the winter! I gave up whining about it years ago because again since I work with all men they don't pay attention to me anyway!

Ariana: Thanks for the recipe! I am always on the look out for new soup and stew recipes this time of year. I have a question though... I am trying to figure out what makes the points so high since the only thing that is not a free veggie is the corn and the beans and also the olive oil... or do you count points for everything, even the "free" veggies? I know a lot of people do at my WW meeting but I am too stingy to

Judy: You have been thru a lot!!! oh my goodness! I hope you are better from your trip to the dentist... mine went way better this time around!

Chris: Below zero?!?!?! Wow, and I think that my 12 degrees is very cold... you must be a very hardy person... Were you born there?

Have a happy day all!
Susan
Old 12-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #20  

Oh yeah, I maintained this week... did not go up or down... just stayed the same. I think it was the holiday catching up with me.

Susan
Old 12-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #21  

Ladies: I had an okay weekend, but I wish it had been longer. I'm exhausted today, but my sewing machine needs work, so there's no point in staying home, I'd just sit there and twiddle my thumbs. So here I am at work. Well, at least we improved the Christmas of a great many children this weekend; when we pooled together our funds, we had $220, and we were able to buy 8 or 9 toys and 8 or 9 pieces of clothing for children in need. ;D My sewing machine broke last night at about 6:30. How was your weekend, ladies?

Judy: Me? Amazing? Why thank you! <blush> I try. Re the Crazy Holiday Season: Try not to over-extend yourself; you don't have to be all things to all people; it's okay to say no sometime! I'm sorry last year was so lousy; hopefully this season is already better. Re Staying Away from Onederland: Sometimes, in expressing your frustrations with not meeting your goals, or even just writing about your goals, that you find renewed enthusiasm and dedication, and it becomes easier to recognize and tackle the things that have been getting in your way. Don't worry about being "long-winded"; I frequently have a lot to say too, and no one minds, right, turtles? Re the Soup: I'm glad it's core; I didn't realize. I frequently eat it without the chips and the cheese, it's quite tasty either way.

Princess: I'm sorry that your office is so cold! We actually have the opposite problem; it's quite frequently uncomfortably warm here. Re the recipe: I think I did this on the WW recipe calculator ages ago, but I'm having trouble coming up with more than 5 points, so I'm not sure...guess I'll have to recalculate.

14 -- 1/4 cup of olive oil is a whopping 14 points
4 -- Corn
2 -- Kidney Beans
0 -- Broth
0 -- Garlic Cloves
0 -- Onions
0 -- Cumin
0 -- tomatoes
0 -- Carrots
0 -- Zucchini

Hmm. That only adds up to 20 points, or 5 per serving. I did calculate this, but it was a long time ago...I might have used the WW online recipe calculator... <shrug> Sorry it looks like like my recipe is only 5 points per serving.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi Turtles:

Well, I'm back from Vegas & had a great time. Weather wasn't really hot but enjoyable for getting around. Won some - gave it back. Up & down. Seen some nice shows & really had a nice time.

Had a w/i on Sat & with missing almost 2 weeks was down .4# - so couldn't complain about that.

Anyway, hope you are all well & keep up the good work.

Bye for now!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #23  

Default Happy Tuesday all!

Judy: Long winded is never a bad thing here, never, Ariana is 100% right about that and she gives awesome advise also. You sound like a person that loves to please and make things special and easy for everyone. I understand that, I think that most of us do and that may be why we are in our present situtation. We tend to put everyone else first and ourselves last... You are special and deserve some good things for you, so don't stress and enjoy instead... have some Judy time, what ever that may be but enjoy all the same and you will do great thru the holidays.

Ariana: Wow, who knew Olive Oil was so "pointy"?!?!? I only use a dash every now and then but oh my goodness... Thanks for the breakdown, it makes everything clear and I am going to make the recipe this weekend but cut down on the OO and see what happens. Funny how things are extreme no matter where we are or what we do... you roast at work and I freeze... My doctor tells me all the time that I can not possibly be going thru menopause yet since I don't get hot flashes or night sweats... I just laugh at her and tell her that to me just not freezing to death on any given day is a hot flash But she holds to her belief and I hold to mine, I am certain that I am in the early stages and I can show at least 3/4 of the symtoms. Oh well! So sorry to hear about your sewing machine! That has to be very hard for you, will you be able to get it fixed soon?

Chris: How is everything going for you? Are you ready for finals yet? I remember what that is like, I just finished my degree in 2005 and I was soooo glad when I did not have tests or homework to worry about anymore. Working full time and taking care of a family and going to school full time for 4 years just about knocked me on my butt.

Bandit: I have never been to LV but I would like to go for a long weekend sometime. I am not a gambler but I am sure that I could find other things to do.

Have a happy day all!

Susan
Old 12-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #24  

Default Thought I would pass this one along

I found this recipe and made it this past weekend, we loved it so I thought I would share:

Potato soup recipe:

1 16 ounce sack frozen O'brien hash browns - I used the shreaded regular hash browns as my family does not like the green peppers in the "O'brien style"
3 cans chicken broth
1 package Williams Fat Free Country gravy mix - I used McCormick's since we did not have "Williams" brand here.

Simmer potatoes in 2 cans of broth until done.

Mix one can of broth with gravy mix & bring to a boil stirring constantly. Combine potatoes & gravy mix, heat until warmed thru.

1 Cup=1 point

*** I added one can of Campbell's chedder cheese soup also and I think I figured that it would take a serving to 1.5 or 2 points but it was worth it!
This soup was awesome and my whole family liked it.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #25  

Ladies: Good afternoon. It sounds like everyone is doing pretty well! Today is much better than yesterday, I don't feel so exhausted. Also, the bugs (database bugs, not real bugs) are being cleared up faster than expected, which is excellent; we never have enough time to do everything that needs to be done here! I did a weight lifting class last night, and was able to use 5 pounds on my bar, which is great for me. Tonight, I'm doing spinning for the first time in years (I've only tried it once before, before I started working out regularly.) So we'll see how that goes; it's a difficult workout, but it's time for a change. If that doesn't workout, I may go with step instead. We'll see. Anyway, I was thinking about all of the sales during the holiday, and drooling over all of the pretty (but very expensive) bras at Victoria's Secret, and I was also thinking about some intermediate goals that some of the turtles have set, and I've decided I need a new goal. Now, I've lost about 25 pounds since the spring, around April, which is about 3 pounds a month on average -- there have been whole months of maintenance -- but on average, I've lost 3 pounds a month. I only have 26 pounds left until goal, and I promised myself that I would replace my entire bra wardrobe when I get down to goal. Now, Victoria's Secret has two big sales a year; one in early January, and one in the summer. I really, REALLY like their bras (I used to work there; becoming addictedt to their stuff is a workplace hazard). But they're SO expensive. So, if I can get to goal by, say, December of 2007, then I can justify buying an entire new bra wardrobe when the bras go on sale in January. And since I would have to lose 2.3 pounds a month, starting in January to accomplish that goal, and I've lost an average of 3 pounds a month so far, I believe it's a goal I can achieve. So, that's my new and exciting plan; I will be at goal by December 1st of 2007. I made a new tracker to cement the decision. Wish me luck, ladies! ;D

Bandit -- welcome back! ;D Congrats on the WL, after two weeks of not weighing in AND going on a trip, that is fab! ;D

Princess: You think I give good advice? Why thank you! Because of my personality, I'm bound to put it out there, but it's good to hear that you think I'm on the right track. And you are right; personal time is very important. Yeah, oil is general is quite high in points -- 1 pt per *teaspoon* for most oils. But you don't need all that much. I'm glad that you questioned my total, because I never would have known it was really 5 points, not 7. That means that, when I get down to the next points bracket (Once I lose another 6 pounds I'll be down to 20 points a day + flex points), I can cut the OO in half and make it a 3.5 point dish, which would work better on my low point days. If you make it that way and you have more points, you can always add some cheese or baked tortilla chips, if you point them out. Re temperatures: Yeah, there doesn't seem to *be* a middle ground. Right now I'm too warm in my office. <sigh> Hmm. Sometimes people know more about their body than doctors do, and it's not necessarily wrong to argue with your doctor. Yeah, the broken machine part sucks, but hopefully he will be able to fix it by the weekend. If not, I do have a backup machine...technically...it's a Brother machine. But, the thing is, I tried to plug it in, and the plug wouldn't go. I took it to the repair guy with the other machine, my primary machine, a sturdy, 10+ year old Singer -- it genuinely needed to be repaired. But when the repair guy plugged in the brother machine, he had no trouble. I felt like an idiot. He explained 3 or 4 times that the outlet had to have a flared side and a non-flared side to match the plug, and I know that, I'm not stupid, and I tried several outlets and it didn't work. So I'll try an extension cord, maybe there's something wrong with the outlets I was trying; but I did check that they were the right type first!!!! Hmm, that recipe sounds tasty! Thank you! If you have any tried-and-true low or reasonably pointed recipes, pass them on!

Back to work now...take care, all!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #26  

Default Happy Wednesday all!

Morning everyone! Well it is a bit warmer here this morning... but a cold front is moving in today so they are saying that tomorrow is going to be very pleasurable if you are a snowman Snow would be fun since we are going to get our tree this weekend and decorate the house for the holidays. I don't really mind winter as much as it sounds like I do... I am just cold all the time so it gets frustrating. I am hoping a trip to my family doctor and me insisting on some blood work will help clear things up a bit.

I have a Christmas party to go to tonight for my monthly book club... it sounds like there is going to be all kinds of high point foods there so I may have a turkey sandwich or something small at home before I go. I have two items made but both of them are kind of high in points also. I just have not felt really well this week so I did not do my normal plan ahead kind of stuff. My over all plan is to go and leave early with the excuse that I just don't feel very well. I think that will be my best option.

Hope all is well with everyone. I will pop back later on and see how everyone is doing.

Susan
Old 12-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #27  
Chick

Dear Turtles,
I am on the run to my WW WI, but I'll try to get to chime in here.

Ariana,
congrats on being a Christmas ANgel. You and your friends have done a wonderful thing. I am sorry about your sewing machine and hope it is being fixed as we speak. I am so thrilled that you have set another goal for yourself with the Victoria Secret lingerie! Yay! You are doing wonderfully well with your weight loss. Weigh to go!

Bandit,
I am so happy for you that you went to Vegas, had fun, and actually lost weight. That means to me that you have made making good choices a habit that you practice! Weigh to go! :

Princess,
thanks for the reminder of treating myself well. Sometimes I feel overburdened and get cranky. I don't want to be that way, so I have to rethink what I am doing and pamper myself a bit and get back on the right track. Thanks for the potato soup recipe. It sounds yummy. By the way, I agree with Ariana. You know you're in menopause. Sounds like you may never have hot flashes working in a refrigerator the way you do! LOL. In any case, I believe we know what our bodies are doing and sometimes docs are a little obtuse if we don't fit the norm. Hey, I didn't know you were in a book club. What are the favorite titles you've read this year? My favorite was Glass Castle by Jeannette Wall. I also liked Angry Housewives Eating Bon bons. Have you read them?

Chris, I'm sending you good wishes to get through your schoolwork and enjoy your holiday.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #28  
Focus on the Process

S/C/G: 247/247/165

Height: 5' 8"

I'm not celebrating much anymore. I am up to 214 and panicked, depressed, and crying. What is going on???? It just keeps getting worse and worse and I don't know why I can't pull myself up and do better. I feel like I'm letting myself down and my whole family. I wish I had someone to go through this with who lived in my town. I can't afford to do any WW meetings and I think I would be too embarrassed and shy to even try to meet other people. I've never been an extroverted person. I'd rather hole up and be alone most of the time. I need to get a menu that I can follow, word for word, food for food. Get an exercise plan that I can do and do every day. I just haven't got enough time to sit down and write it all out and get it ready. The pounds just keep creeping on faster and faster. I saw a pic of me the other day my hubby took and my face is so bloated and fat. It doesn't look like me staring back from the paper. My jeans are getting tighter, I have only 3 shirts that fit now, and my joints are aching more. I know its time. I don't know what to do. I just feel numb.

1. Does anyone have an eating plan that they have actually written down that I could follow?????
2. Exercise Plan?????
Old 12-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #29  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Well, my WI was a success of sorts since in the middle of the week I was eating Core foods-but in much too much volume. So Monday and Tuesday I ate "unit" foods and undid the damage. Yay! On the scale I lost .2# and I'll take that and run.

Chrily,
I understand not being able to afford WW's right now. And I think Core is easier to follow than Flex since you don't want to have to analyze what you're eating. In Core, you eat from a list of given foods. Anything off the list you have to count in from the 35 points that you are given weekly. The best advice I can think of right now is to join WW's with the intention that you won't be able to get back to mtgs because of the expense. At joining you will get the materials you need to follow their plan. Once you have those, we can act as your online mtg. friends.

As far as exercise, make it part of your routine. Nothing fancy--a 20-30 minute walk three times a week. You can do this, don't despair, the first thing to do is to stop the emotional eating so you don't gain anymore. Hope this is some help.
Love.,
Judy
Old 12-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #30  

Hey Chris: Been there and done that is all I can say... most of my life actually. I will tell you this... it is truly a mind set and a level of determination that is allowing me to get further on this weight loss journey then any other I have been on. I have tried to make it fun this time around and I have also not listened to anyone other then WW people... everyone else will try and give you advise or talk you out of things or into things... I only listen to my WW leader and those that are on the plan. Ok, that being said, here is what I normally eat in a day.

B) One package plain instant oatmeal with one cup of berries (frozen ones this time of year) and a dash or two of cinnamon and a couple splenda packets... I lower the amount of water that the oatmeal calls for because the berries turn to liquid once they are microwaved so instead of 2/3 cup I use about a half a cup of water... microwave and throw on another splenda packet if needed...
One 1 point english muffin or one point worth of toast... with a few sprays of margarine
Coffee with 1% milk
B) = approx 5 points

S) WW yogurt with about a 1/4 cup of fiber one cereal stirred in 1.5 points

L) A salad with 1 pt dressing
A turkey sandwich or a PB&J sandwich - usually 2 - 4 points depending on which I choose.
A piece of fruit - 1pt
A serving of FF Pringles - 1 pt
L) = approx 5-7 points but you could lower this way down if you wanted to make up a batch of the zero point veggie soup and use that instead of a sandwich.

S) WW yogurt and fiber one again - 1.5 points

D) Normally some kind of protein, worth no more then 6 points and that is pushing it depending on my lunch.
A baked potato, I find them to be very filling, I wash a potato, poke it a couple of times with a fork, rub some sea salt on it and bake it at 400 for an hour, awesome potato! Spray some margarine and use some low fat sour cream if you like.3-4 pts depending on what you add and how big the potato is.
A vegtable or two depending on how hungry I am - 0 pts
D) = approx 9-10 pts

S) normally I have a bowl of low point cereal, a snack size bag of popcorn or a small bowl of FF SF pudding. 1-2 pts

This is what works for me and I also drink enough water in a day to float a boat on... no kidding, I drink approx 2 gallons a day.

Last edited by Princess1122; 12-06-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Closed Thread