Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 12:48 AM   #16  

Hi y'all,

Just have to put my 2 cents in on this marriage deal. The friend's brother got married too soon. It wasn't even respectful. Glenda's friends, on the other hand, were fine. They had both spent devoted time taking care of sick mates. They knew each other. They had paid their dues and were entitled to whatever happiness this life could produce. The brother should have waited. My DH's father brought his girlfriend to our house on the 4th of July after Mama had died April 9th. Not even 3 months. He finally married her less than 7 months after Mama died. I never did forgive them. Mama and he had been married 47 years. I thought 47 years deserved some time. I don't know how soon after Mama died they started dating, but it wasn't long. Mama adored him and did everything she could for him. And he couldn't even let her get cold before he was out running the roads with another woman. It happened a long time ago, but I still remember it. I refer to his stepmother as my "fake" MIL and say my "real" MIL is dead.

Glad to see that you are mending Maria. Hope the bones knit well. How many bunions were fixed? Did you have a neuroma removed too? I have both conditions and am interested in how you do.

This had been a hectic week. Am looking forward to a return to normalcy next week. Have a great week.
Old 09-30-2001, 02:37 AM   #17  
Life Time 2001

Seems it all depends on the circumstances.
My mom died, my dad spent months of moping around. I felt for him deeply, he lost the one thing in life that really meant something to him. He loved her deeply. He died 6 months later. Never did find out why. We all just assumed it was a broken heart. They had been married for 45 years.

It would of killed me for my Dad to go on at that time. But now, I really wish he would have. He might even still be around today. This is what causes me to answer the way I did.

Its been 12 years and I still think about daily.
Specially this month, as it contains the day my mom died. It was 1 week before her birthday.

Real heavy question, and makes one think.

Lets think happy thoughts! K?

Last edited by LilyG; 09-30-2001 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2001, 04:17 AM   #18  

G'day all,

A very warm day here today.

Yesterday we went to friends of dd and fiancee to watch the grand final of the footy. We had a bar-b-que and it was a nice afternoon. I am amazed how much it took out of me, I was exhausted by the time we got back to our apartment again. Never the less, it was nice to be out again.

Sounds like we all think very similarly regarding the re-marrying after a spouse has died.

Geri I did not get an operation because of bunions, my problem was very bad arthiritis in the first joint of both my big toes, so much so that it was bone rubbing on bone hence a bit painful The bones in my big toes at the first joint had 2 screws put in and I am now hoping the bones will fuse, normally it takes three months before the fusing is strong again. I also had neuromas under both feet, 4 in one and 5 in the other. They have also been removed. It doesn't seem a very big deal the neuromas. I have been and I still am a little concerned as I still do get the pain as though the neuromas are still there, I mentioned it to the surgeon and he said that a lot of tissue ect. was disturbed when they removed the neuromas and that it should all settle down and that I was a little impatient , surprise, surprise. Next Tuesday will be 4 weeks since the operation, so another 2 months when I can report It was worth it (I hope) How bad are your neuromas?

I cannot wait to get the OK to be on the go again, my hair is in desperate need of a haircut, another 4 weeks I'll be tossing it over my shoulders

Must be off and have dinner,
See ya tomorrow
Cheers
Maria
Old 09-30-2001, 04:36 PM   #19  

oh my gosh, Maria, a total of 9 neuromas. How horrible.! I only have 1 and it is pretty bad. Been struggling with it for about 7 or 8 years. Have had the bunions for a long time. Didn't know what they were and weren't treated till about 9 or 10 years ago. Have them on both median and distal surfaces on both feet. The ones on the large toes are the worst ones. Cannot wear any kind of an elevated heel. Must always wear flats. This is a problem for 2 reasons----I am only 5'2" and my DH is 6'4". So we look like Mutt and Jeff.

Lily, I hope you didn't think I was mean for feeling the way I did. It sounds like your dad did die from a broken heart. Obviously as much as he loved your mom it would have been impossible for him to become involved with someone else. I know you miss them both. It must have been awfully hard to lose them so close together. You hadn't had sufficient time to heal from losing your mom till you had to stuggle with losing your dad. So sad, but you have the consolation of knowing they are together again.
Old 09-30-2001, 07:10 PM   #20  
Net browser

Default ....hi everybody

I got back from the lake early as I was at a baby shower today from 2:00 to 4:00 then came home. It was interesting reading all your comments on couples re-marrying. I was talking to a friend today about it, as we were driving to the shower and she also commented that somehow it is easier for a woman left on her own then a man (not exactly easier, but that she copes better)
Thanks everybody for your imput, it was interesting. I decided that my DH and I would just avoid the whole problem by NOT dying. LOL

We had another couple of wonderful days. We sat outside at the lake until almost 9:00 and it was great. The drive to and from the lake was lovely too, with the trees all turning such beautiful shades of gold and red. I think the pleasant fall weather is going to continue until Wednesday.

Maria it was nice you were able to get out to a BBQ makes things a little bit more interesting for you. Talk to you all later..........
Old 09-30-2001, 08:18 PM   #21  

G'day all

Another beautiful day after a bit of an electrical storm overnight.

Saw a report on 60 minutes (nothing else on!) last night from Vancouver, Canada. What a beautiful city! I don't know how close Slavika and Trudy live and if Vancouver is like other cities in Canada, but it was very impressive. The contents of the report wasn't quite so good, it was about the local police taking videos of drug addicts which they then used to scare youngsters never to go near drugs. It was quite scarey and if this is what it takes to discourage others to get into drugs, I think it is a good thing. The drug addicts themselves were quite keen to share their experience in the hope it will help others not to go down that path.

Geri I have never heard of 'Mutt and Jeff' but I can use my imagination
I am reasonably tall (5'7") so the heels are not that much of an issue, I have been told once recovered I should still be able to wear a bit of a heel but not stillettos Nowadays there are such nice shoes without heels, I cannot wait to try them all on. I love shoes and have many 'sitting' shoes, I now maybe able to add some shoes that I can actually walk in with comfort

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 09-30-2001, 08:26 PM   #22  
Life Time 2001

Heavens no Geri! I didnt take it that way

Maria: Vancouver is a beautiful city. Well worth a visit there. I loved it there!

Night!
Old 10-01-2001, 08:43 PM   #23  
Member Florida Chick

Angry Autumn is here!

Hi all: October 1st. Fall is really here. That is the only thing I miss about being in Florida. No brignt fall colors. There are changes, and we know it is fall when the rain trees start to bloom. They are really pretty. Bright yellow.

Slavika: It is interesting that we all had pretty much the same ideas, even tho' there were a few 'what ifs' of explanations. But generally, there is an appropriate time of waiting.

Maria: How are you doing today? Is the warm salt water helping? How much longer do you have before the wedding? Is your dh still traveling? We had cooler weather here today. It was 60deg. when we got up. Actually had to wear long pants and a sweat shirt to go for my morning walk.
By now, I bet your new dress for the wedding will have to be taken in. And now posh shoes

Lily: Is work going well after having to catch up from vacation? Made some WW vegetable soup, with a few more added veggies, but I got carried away with the pepper, so it has a real bite. What kind of weather are you having? I havae always wanted to visit Vancouver. It sounds like such a nice place.

I'd like to know if anyone else feels like I do about the news media. I am tired of their constant speculation, their trying to find out more than they need to know. Poking and prodding, as if they would discover something the government is not doing right, or they could do better. I hardly ever watch any more.

Hi everyone, Hope you are having a good week
I'm working hard at keeping my numbers going down. I sometimes get tired of the struggle. 'See you later.' Ann
Old 10-02-2001, 12:11 AM   #24  
Super Surfer

Default ..lots of color here...

Ann if it is fall colors you like, you would love it here. The colors of the leaves are just beautiful. Today was such a warm day...the leaves were swirling around...just lovely. It is hard to believe that by the end of this month we could have snow. It doesn't always snow by Oct 31, but it is a possibility.
Vancouver is really a nice place, but not a place I would want to live. They get far too much rain, and it is damp. It is the only place I have ever seen moss growing on the roofs of houses. We have family living there and have visited all times of the year. I guess because of the dampness I find it colder there in the winter than here. Not used to it I guess. Like Lily said, a beautiful city, well worth a visit.
Slavika won't be visiting the board for a couple of days, her PC had to go to the Computer Hospital today. She is not a happy camper.
Where is everyone else today?

See you tomorrow...
Old 10-02-2001, 02:39 AM   #25  

Default I have also had my computer problems

but mine are with the service provider, (I think). It is very annoying every now and then I just keep getting tossed of the net. My service provider says it is the system in the apartments where we live and the people running the apartments say it is the service provider
Hope Slavika is up and running soon again.

The salt water seems to be helping my feet and they are looking quite healthy, every day there is a small improvement Today it is 3 weeks when I go for the xrays. I figure I might only have to spend another 3 weekends before being allowed 'out'.

Ann My dh still travels within Australia from time to time but is only gone for 1 or 2 nights. Next time he has to go outside Australia, I will go with him.
As far as my 'mother-of-the- bride' outfit, it does fit but I wouldn't say loosely , it is a continual struggle especially now that I am quite bored. I am hoping to loose some more before January 26 (date of the wedding)

A question to you all......... As I said the outfit fits OK but I still have my bulges, my stomach is far from a '6 pack' and it will never be. I was thinking of buying a bodysuit, you know the bra and pantie all in one, which I thought would give me a better line. I thought of buying it end December when I am the weight that I will likely be at the time of the wedding. The only draw back is that it is likely to be very hot weather wise in January. What do you all think? My daughter says I am mad but I think I would feel happier if I could be a bit more 'streamlined'

Nothing much else happening here, another lovely spring day though rain is forecast for the rest of the week.

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 10-02-2001, 08:16 AM   #26  

Default Haven't Been Here For a While.

So thought I'd take a minute and let you all know that I live and breath. We've been taking advantage of the weather it has been just beautiful. And we know it won't be long before the other shoe drops and we'll be up to our hips in snow. Last night on the weather we were reminded that our first dusting of snow can come as early as Oct 19. I could have lived the rest of my life with out that information.

My husbands union went on strike as of yesterday. We are not happy. They all voted to strike in August before the Attack On America. Now most of us beleive it should have never happened there are way too many people in this state with out jobs now. Now of course the Union Officals have dug in and it seems as if no one is going to budge. Most of us feel we can do with out a raise if the would just leave our Medical Insurance alone. Thats a very sticky issue.

Ann we also talked about the self esteem issue last week .

Maria I was glad to see your poor feet are doing better. As for the body suit I think you mean one that is supposed to take off inches? sounds like it will be very uncomfortable. I wore one years ago and I was not impressed.

Trudy I agree the leaves are beautiful this time of year.

Well don't have a lot of time so Hi to every one else.

Karen
Old 10-02-2001, 12:59 PM   #27  
Member Florida Chick

Talking Hello

Hi all: Trudy: Do you take and post pictures? One of your gorgeous colors would be great. I hear you all mention snow and frost, and then I am once again reminded why we don't see the fall colors.
I'd like to ask you all for prayers, as my dh is scheduled for some surgery in a week or so. The Dr. says it is routine, and I want to make sure that is it routine, with no problems. My dh jokingly says he is going to have plumbing work done. I'm glad he can joke about it. That is a healthy sign.

Sorry Slavikas computer had to go to the hospital. Today I bought a big book all about Windows Millenium. Hope I can learn a lot from it.

Maria: If it is going to be hot, I'd forgo the body suit, and be comfortable. Just 'suck it in' when you are standing, and relax when you sit down. and be If your feet are tender, you will probably sit a lot anyway, and then a body suit would really be uncomfortable, getting wrinkles where you don't want any. Unless of course you get it really tight, and then it is hard to breath. Can you tell, I've tried them all, and now I don't do the torture any more.

Hi to everyone else. Talk to you later. Ann
Old 10-02-2001, 02:27 PM   #28  
Super Surfer

Default ...the body suit...

Maria I bought a Nancy Gantz (sp.?) one summer ago, I had it on for approx 1 hr before I was screaming MERCY !! Luckly I had the salesclerk put on the bill that I would have to try it at home to see if it would work for me (because of my Fibro)... I did return it. Now I know others who say it is the greatest. According to Joan Rivers "she never leaves home without her Lycra". I guess you will have to try one on to see if you can live with it. In the dressing room, sit in it and try to cross your legs, all the things you would do in normal life.
Ann I don't have a digital camera so I can't post pictures. Too bad because this time of year is so short and before we know it all the trees are bare. Will keep good thoughts for your DH and his surgery. Good thing he isn't stressing out over it.
Karen Sorry about the strike...that can be so stressful. My DH went on strike a couple of times and it was really nerve racking.
I find it funny when the weather experts call it a "light dusting", that usually means get the shovels and snow blowers out....fast!
Going to see our friend Slavika this afternoon. I will report all the news on the board, I know she will be interested. Since she doesn't have her PC she is probably baking up a storm. She got a couple of new recipes this past weekend from her friend, so she will be eager to share. You gotta love her...

I have been "Organizing My Favorites" on the PC... I have categories for most of my favorites... the only trouble is I can't find anything now A couple of sites I lost completely... ...should have left well enough alone.

Have a nice day everyone
Old 10-02-2001, 02:43 PM   #29  

It is gorgeous here too. Maria i would go for comfort too. Wait until the day is close and see how you look. You should be enjoying the day and it would be hard if you can't breath. We went to a wedding Saturday. We we weren't sure about it since the city was on curfew again but it was lifted. I didn't think the attendents would ever stop coming. There were 9 of them and 3 flower girls. They had the best food at the reception. Sunday we went to see Phantom of the Opera. My dil bought tickets for the matinee and didn't check them until it was time to go and guess what? They gave her tickets for the evening performance by mistake. It is a good thing that she did look at them. Every time I see that I can never figure out how the phantom disappears at the end. Trudy tell Slavika hi and that we miss her. How was tea time today? I bet you had some yummy things to eat. Karen I just saw in the paper about the strike in Minnesota. I didn't realize that your dh was involved. I hope that it is over quickly. We have to pick a new medical insurance plan. The one that we have is being dropped by the Police and Fire Pension Board. I hope the one that we change to is as good as the one we have now. It is always something. Ann will say a prayer that your dh's surgery goes o.k. Be sure to let us know. I think all my friends are falling apart. 3 have cancer and the one with ovarian has a 36 year old dd who just had a stroke. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make the world better. It is too pretty to be inside - I am going out. See you all later, Here is another site to see http://home.earthlink.net/~tomryte/september.htm Trudy I see we were posting at about the same time.

Last edited by painter5; 10-02-2001 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:10 PM   #30  

Onwards we go to thread 139

See you there!

Maria
Closed Thread