Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #16  
Member Florida Chick

This post was on our last thread, so I copied it here. Also I sent KaCe an instant message, so hope she gets that and comes back. Ann

lookin' for a "home"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm workin' on losin' weight and not sure what forum to land in. I haven't yet found the first forum I posted in. This site is so large I feel a bit overwhelmed. The title of your group attracted me. I'd say I'm fiesty, some others might say "bull headed", stubborn, single minded, driven, etc. but fiesty is good.

I had lost 40 pounds, but now I'm going the other way. I know why. I'm not having the time to exercise. I have a rental to work on and need to get it back into rentable condition. I work there from when I get up until I can't move and go to bed. I know I need to take time for me, but I keep thinking that there'll be time enough for that when this is done. I gotta get it on the market.

Well, I'm not sure if ya all are a tight knit group of "already friends", or if newbies come and go, but thought I'd drop by for a short visit.

Oh, we visited Adelide in 96. We had such a nice time. Did wineries, the beach, golf and just kicked it. What a nice area to live in. It really reminded me of northern California. The arroyas with rolling hills, dry grasses under a canopy of trees, meandering roads and bright skies. Everyone just had a "funny accent". <hee, hee>

KaCe
Old 10-20-2006, 09:44 PM   #17  

G'day all,

I have just send a private message to KaCe and told her that Ann had been kind enough to copy her post to our current thread.
It would be fun to have a new person joining us.

We had Matilda last night, she was perfect but she is up at 5 am

I have a busy time ahead, today and tomorrow finalise a few things for customers and then on Monday meet with 2 new customers who want websites and a visit to the dentist.
Tuesday Matilda Day and then we are off to Melbourne first thing Wednesday morning and back again Sunday.

DH is getting used to his hearing aids quite well, it is making quite a difference, I can talk normal and be heard!!

Must be off and get some things done....

Cheers
Maria

ps I just re-read the post above and noticed you also sent an instant message Ann, great minds think alike!!!!

Last edited by flaggies; 10-21-2006 at 02:49 AM. Reason: omission
Old 10-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #18  

We did have a great time at lunch and didn't count points. Then i carried over the same theme on into dinner. Went out to Applebee's with some friends. I was still full from lunch so most of my dinner came home in a box.

Been just a bit lazy today. I did walk and went to aerobics then just came home took a shower. And then not much else. My neighbor came over and needed help learning to shade something she is painting and My my vast(I say that tongue in cheek) knowledge was helping her out. I do need to make a trip to JoAnne's Fabric to get some more belt webbing for those last four totes I making. The purple with the red hats embroidered on one side. I will have 12 bags altogether to sell at the craft show . I really need to go to the machine and work on them.

Tonight we go down to the clubhouse again for a dance.Should be fun. The hours are great for most of here. 7:00PM to 10:00PM. My kids laugh!

I didn't know Siesta Keys had those sand sculptures. Must Google and see what I can find out.

It's hot today and our pool is closed so won't be spending much time out side. I'll take Sprout out for his ride before we go to the dance. Even he doesn't like to walk much when its hot. He'll go out and lay in the yard. but that's about it.

Well I'm going to go get lunch. See you later.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #19  
Member Florida Chick

Hi; Been a hot day for sure, and I spent most of it cleaning out our shed. We bought a small freezer to put in the shed for allowing us to take advantage of special sales, but our shed was a bit of a disaster, so the job has to be done before they deliver on tues. So far I have 2 bags of junk and am working on number three. I think I must have lost about 3 pounds in perspiration. It was hot, but it has to be done. So this afternoon, I went down to the pool and just cooled off a bit. I think it will be an early night tonight. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Ann
Old 10-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #20  

Hi All,
First it was too hot and now it is too chilly. I have stuff to do in the yard and it is too windy and cold to go out and do it.
Nothing exciting is happening here. We went to the zoo with the kids Saturday. It was a nice day for a change. It was called Hallzooween. They tossed pumpkins to the bears and elephants. I was surprised that the black bears had so much trouble breaking them. I will have to send them my raccoon that had no problem getting into mine. I had to throw it out the other day. All the kids were in costume and they had trick and treat stations set up. It was soooo crowded. Right now there is a special Aussie section. It was interesting.
Karen have you ever tried the WW stuff at Applebees? I heard some gals talking about it and said it was good but the portions were so small. But I guess that is what a normal portion is supposed to look like and not the huge ones. I keep wanting to go and try it but never get there. When is your craft show?
Ann good luck cleaning out the shed. It is amazing how much junk you can collect.
I have to go get busy with my painting. I have had it sitting here for over a month and have to get it finished for my lady.
Peggy
Old 10-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #21  
Net browser

Hi Everybody and a big to KaCe. I see you just posted with us the one time. I hope you find your way back to us. I have the carpet men here today laying down the new carpet in the basement. I think I have done a wonderful job in getting rid of "stuff" that has been hiding down there for too many years. What a big job that was for me. I had hundred's of greeting cards in an old trunk that must have come over with my grandparents from the old country. I decided that I would only keep the ones from my David, and the kids and the rest I would have to get rid of. I had to read each and everyone of them before I was able to throw them out. Do you all save your cards too?? Glenda I think it was cute that the grandkids were "fighting" over you. Don't you just feel so wanted. ANN, that is great news ...... the BIG drop in your cholesterol I did not go to WW last week as the carpet guys were going to do my carpet then, but it was a big mix up..... all store's fault They were then going to postpone the laying my carpet until Nov 1st to the 15th, and for once in my life I really spoke up and said that just wasn't going to happen. I told them I had ordered and paid in full for the carpet on Aug 18th, had a signed contract and if they did not honour it by today, Monday, 23rd, then I would get my Godson who just happens to be a lawyer to call them. My son said the only words they heard were Godson and lawyer. LOL Ahh....I went ahead and made them fresh blueberry scones for their coffee break so they wouldn't think I was a real old "Witch". Well gals my grandson will be 13 years old on Saturday. I think I first started on this board in 2001 (I'll have to check that out) so he was only 8 then, and as he informed me he will now be a "teenager", OYE VEY. Sounds like you are all well and busy doing things too. Bye for now. Slavika. P.S. No I see I started posting on the board in 1999, so he was just a little guy now he is taller then me.

Last edited by slavika; 10-23-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:54 PM   #22  

Slavika, I agree with your son all they heard was Godson and Lawyer. You sound busy but cheerful. I don't save things like I used to. I do save Christmas cards from one year to the next to make sure I don't forget anyone. But there is just no room in these houses to be saving a bunch of stuff. Besides my Mom is a pack rat and I have sworn that I won't be. Can't handle all the clutter.

Peggy I have tried most of the WW menu at Applebee's. And I have to say that I always get plenty full when I eat them. The Steak skewers I thought with the rice and veggies was way more than I needed. I don't like broiled shrimp so I had both steak for 9 points in stead of one shrimp and one steak for 7 points. Well worth it for taste. All of the salads are real good and there again just because it doesn't come on a huge platter doesn't mean it's not enough to eat. For me any way. Now for my DH he always ordered a baked potato along with the salad or a bowl of soup.

Our craft sale is the 4th of November. I have only 2 more bags to sew. I did 2 yesterday the purple with the red hats on them and they turned out so nice. I was thrilled. I told DH well if all this stuff doesn't sell then I will have plenty of Christmas presents to give away. My friend says I won't have a problem selling any of it and she also said I should be ready to take orders on the red hats one. No Way I'm not going into business.

I'm running the aerobics class in the morning. Got the call awhile ago. I half way expected it because The gal who usually run the class has had a migraine for 4 days . It is time for her to see her doctor. I don't mind running the class.

I finally convinced my DH to buy his golf membership for a year. Otherwise he was going to send us to the poorhouse . With a membership he can play at our course (18 holes it's a par 3)the next one over(9 hole and a bit more challenging with all the water around.) And there is another one a bit farther south that he will be able to play too. That one regulation size. So that will keep him busy for a while.

We've had a cool down today after it was about 90 yesterday. It's about 58 degrees out there tonight. Nice Sprout loves it like this. His poor little tongue is not hanging out when we get home from our walks.

Well have to go my TV program is going to be on in a few minutes. Catch you all later.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #23  
KaCe

S/C/G: 243/201/160

Height: 5'-4"

Post Found YOU...

Ladies,
I'm back! It took some doing for me to find my way back here. I thought you were in WW, but you're one layer down in the area of "other age groups". I'm glad that I persisted.

I feel a bit like I'm eaves dropping on your coffee clatch, but you also seem so interesting, active and articulate that I had to try to get back here.

Is there any common thread that you all share? I see you are from all over: Florida, Ohio, Adelaide, Australia, and Canada to name a few places I noticed. I didn't know if you all got together because of age similarities, a shared interest or what. Have you corresponded a long time? That's about it for questions. I know I'm the newbie, but I was trying to get the "lay of the land". I don't want to step on toes.

There was a note by Karen (I think) that was about Applebee's. I learned this summer about portion control. It amazed me that we eat such large quanities of all foods. There was a note about the portion size being small. I guess if we all ate the smaller size portions we'd have a lot less of a problem. My mother has nagged me for the last dozen years to eat smaller portions. It galls me to think that it could be so significant; but I've learned it really is. Last night I ate at a Keg Restaurant after an early movie ( a theme I've noticed herehttp://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/images/smile/wink.gif ) I thought I'd try to be on program. So I had a salad, which was fine (I cut it in half and shared it with another lady.). Then ordered an appetizer--calamari. It was tasty, but I found myself eating after I was no longer hunger. I was just eating to eat. It made me mad when I noticed. Then I was stuffed. I could have been on the Thanksgiving menu! I think the society we live in reinforces over eating. So it is no wonder we think large portions are "normal". That we eat even when we are not hungry, but because it is there. That we don't listen to our bodies. Ugh. It makes me frustrated with myself. Oh, yeah, back to what started this tyrade... Applebee's... I haven't tried them yet. I guess I need to look into that as a place to go for a meal with friends. Thanks for reminding me.

I have not been as physically active as I was this summer. I feel terrible not doing more aerobic workouts. I work. (What woman doesn't?) But it isn't the sustained type that I need to lose weight. It is so hard to self motivate when you're in a slump. I am coming along on my latest rental project... the oak floors I'm putting in the living room and dining room of my townhouse rental. It gives me satisfaction to see the work done, but I'm frustrated that I don't have that time to work on myself. (Economics dictate that I get it ready and fast, so we can have income.) Oh, well, everyone has issues. I'm new here, so I'll just exit stage right for now... like Yoggie Bear. Thanks for making me feel welcomed. Blessings on you all.

KaCe (for Kathryn Cecelia)
Old 10-24-2006, 12:49 AM   #24  
Net browser

Hi Kathryn, glad you found your way back here. It's great having someone new join us. I likely have been on this board the longest, since 1999. A couple of gals and me too I guess, sort of got this particular board going. The other two gals don't post anymore but one of them came up with the name of this group. I think the group that is here now are together because we are all gals of "a certain age", and then we quickly found out that we had lots of things in common besides wanting to lose weight or just to maintain the weight we did lose. Over time we have become friends, really good friends. Kathryn, my husband, David died from cancer last May, he was 63. The last few months have been difficult for me but I am finding out that I am much tougher then I thought. My friends on this board were, and still are a BIG source of comfort to me, and I believe we will always be friends even though hundreds of miles separate us. It doesn't seem to matter. You won't be stepping on any toes with this group of gals, so "talk" away. We had just mentioned that we don't always agree on everything but with friends you don't have to. Time for me to go to bed. Night.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #25  
Member Florida Chick

Hi KaCe: Glad you found your way back to us. And welcome. As Slavika said, we have found that we seem to have many things in common, not the least of them the struggle to lose weight and keep it off. And we all suffer from the same frustrations you mentioned. Eating because it is in front of me is one of mine, not because I need it or am hungry.
I have tried Applebees a few times, but I need to go there with friends because DH doesn't like it. He had some bad experiences there so won't go back. I have decided that all restaurants give such enormous portions, so that they can charge more for the meal. We often plan to bring half home and have lunch the next day. I think you will find that we are a supportive bunch, so please come back. You are not 'butting in'. We were all newbies once.

Slavika: Sounds like your carpet project was one of frustration. Doesn't it just 'frost you' when contracts are made and then they don't deliver. We are getting our new little freezer today, and I am happy to say that we have the place all nice and clean for it to go. I still have more organizing to do. And it seems that it wasn't too long ago that I had cleaned it out, but the junk just seems to accumulate. I guess we have to learn that if we don't plan to use something right away - toss it out. DH has all these little nails and screws etc. in little containers and I don't think that he has used any of them in years, but he would n't let me give them to our neighbor. I haven't been back to WW now for several weeks. I just can't seem to get motivated. I do watch what I eat, and sometimes count the points but I guess I am in a slump.

Karen: your Red Hat bags sound good. I'm sure you won't have any problem selling them. The offer still holds if you want to come to our park and sell your leftovers, if you have any. You can share my table.
You don't like shrimp? I would get 2 shrimps and forget the beef. I like the chocolate dessert. Very tasty.

Peggy: Your cool weather sounds like what hit us last night. It was hot during the day, and then about 7:00p.m. the temperature began to go down, and this a.m. when I went to put out the garbage it was 40deg. A big change. Sweatshirts today.

Hi everyone. You all must be busy with fally cleaning since you haven't been around lately.

I want to know what the secret is to get motivated in the weight loss department. Help. See you. Ann

Karen
Old 10-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #26  
Web Nana

Hi everyone and welcome KC! We are a great group and as Slavika and Ann said we are now good friends just as we were close neighbors!

Ann, if you find the secret to motivation please share it as I do need a boost! Glad the shed is ready for your freezer. We have taken a vow no more junk saving!

Slavika, you have been here a long time but I don't think I had discovered the 3fc site then. Your GS is 13....now the teen years begin. By January of next year we will have 4 teenage grandkids. Lots of fun. Glad you are progressing well with your carpet replacement.

Yesterday, DD#2 called from her work, OR nurse, and said Kerri had called her and was in melt down stage at home because she had received a 'B' on a math test. She is an A student and couldn't handle this. Could I call and or visit and see if I could calm her down. I called her and had her get herself a glass of water and then we talked and by the time I had hung up she was calmer and had even got a small laugh at what I said. I told her of the D I got in 6th grade because I did not speak louder in class when answering questions or when reading the poetry that was a large part of our class....Rudyard Kipling's IF was one of the poems. Told her that that impressed me so much that now they can't get me to shut up. Later we went over and she had calmed down a lot and realized the it wasn't the end of the world!

A week ago DH had gone to the transfer station and was backed into by an 80 yr old gentleman and got the front fender badly dented so yesterday we brought the car to the autobody shop for repairs and we picked up a rental for the few days the car will be tied up. But before we left the car we needed to make a quick trip to the Air Base for a prescription refil. We had gone to the Air Base on Sunday for our food shopping trip but the pharmacy was not open then so......up and back...1 1/2 hr. Stopped at a local Italian eatery on the way home and I had mussels and linquini and DH has his favorite calamari with ziti. Nice, delicious and because it was lunch not such large portions as later in the day....also a good thing. All in all it was an eventful day!

Karen, Your bags sound lovely...that red had bag would go nicely with my red had sweatshirt. LOL

Peggy, We, too, are experiencing colder weather today. It was 43 here at 6AM. Probably will get a frost and day now.

Maria, As the gks get older they seem to require more attention...they are apt to get into more things around the house. But, they are such joy.

Need to answer the dryer now.

Gloria
Old 10-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #27  

Welcome Back Kathryn, Like the others said glad you found your way back to us. I joined the 3ftc board in 1999. But can't tell you when I found and joined in with Slavika. But this has been a great place for me to find support and friendship.

Ann I hate to tell you this but..... the only real place you will find motivation is in you!. We are the captain of our ship and no amount of preaching by anyone else will motivate you better than yourself. One of the things I've learned over the years is to not be so hard on myself. That is a hard lesson. The other is to be on program at least 80% of the time. The other 20% will take care of itself with exercise. Now you all know that a few years ago I would have told you that I hate to sweat!. But now I really enjoy my exercise group and the sweating is a good thing. Maybe because I've grown older and find that with exercise I have more energy that I ever did before.

Kathryn, I agree with you about portions. The reason they are so big in restaurants is so they can justify the high price. One of thing that makes dieting so challenging during retirement is the fact that all of us retiree's like to eat out. That is when we get to relax and enjoy our friends. We just have to sometimes say no to going out in order to stay at or get to a healthy weight. I realize that is no fun. But it's a trade off. I'm now taking off the leader hat ! Ann ,You will be sorry that you asked the question.

Brrrrr it is chilly today. Long pants and a sweater. Even Sprout had on his sweater when we walked this morning. We in Florida are truly wimps!!!!!

Kathryn many years ago we lived in Steilacoom WA right on the sound.And went to Dupont JR High .I remember it was a very pretty area when it wasn't raining. I was 14. Waaaaay long time ago.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:42 PM   #28  

Smile

Hi all, It's my turn to welcome Kathryn. I was the last newbie and I can tell you these ladies are very welcoming.
I wish I could see the red hat bags as my group probably would love it. I have to come up with something for us to do when I get back to Fl for our Dec meeting. Everyone will be in the Christmas mode so I have to find something not having to do with the holiday.
It's getting really cold in NJ and most of the leaves are off the trees and it's time to go south. Have to wait for hubby to have an mri on his foot as he has had a sore on the bottom of his toe for 6 months. It hasn't healed and he's diabetic and been under medical care all this time for it. Pray his bone is not infected cause then we have real problems. That might delay our retun to Fl.
My brother and his wife are planning to visit in Dec in Fl. I hope we don't screw up their vacation by not being there. Mri scheduled for Thursday so we'll see.
Been out househunting again and there are very few lots available where we have been looking and it was suggested we buy an old house and have the fire dept burn it down. We get a tax write off if we do this and I don't think we will.
Got to go now. Bernice
Old 10-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #29  

G'day all,

I haven't been around for a little while, just really busy with all sorts of things. I am in Melbourne at the moment until Sunday.

A big welcome to Kathryn, sorry I did not get to read my PM's until today but I see you have found us and can only agree with what all the others have said, nothing is sacred and we can discuss anything and can always agree to disagree!
You can check out what I do on my website www.mesdesigns.com.au.
I noticed you have been to Adelaide, you would have gone to Glenelg whilst you were here (everyone seems to go to Glenelg!) I live one surburb over at Brighton.

Good to read everyone's posts and to see everyone is well.
I agree with your Slavika, I think you have been incredibly strong since your David died, you have done so well. Glad you set the carpet people straight.

I have been so busy with work stuff, building 3 websites at the moment for 3 different companies, some photo restorations and then of course the ordinary stuff at home.
We had promised that we would come to Melbourne to see our dd and little grand daughter so left yesterday morning at 6 am and got to Melbourne at 4.30 in the afternoon.
We were wondering how I driving in America would work out and also how we are going to cope with the New York traffic
We also thought to make a big sticker to remind ourselves to keep on the RIGHT side of the road!
We finally got the Oprah episodes in Australia about her trip with Gail, Trudy told me about it sometime ago, so many highways

I have to fly, it is very early in the morning and I can hear others up and about.
Not sure when I will get back.....

Stay happy and well everyone,

Cheers
Maria
Old 10-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #30  

Maria, You will do fine in NYC as you will not drive around . It's better to take the subway from Brooklyn into the city and and you can get anywhere you want to go by bus or subway. There are bus tours and boat tours and it's more efficient not to take the car into the city as there is no where to park without it costing an arm or a leg. Cabs are expensive too, they are talking about raising their rates. As for getting to the airport, your hotel probably has a shuttle to Kennedy. As for driving on the side we drive on you will be a pro by the time to get to NY.
It's cold here and I went shopping for some trouser type pants and I am happy to say I am 2 sizes smaller. No time to celebrate-long way to go but at least the scale is going the right way.
Going out to dinner with my neighbors,catch you all later. Bernice
Closed Thread