Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 10:47 AM   #16  
Inchworm

Talking

Finally!! a fish report from the fishing boat...(the skipper is supposed to post a note every day, but has waited 4 days!) They are having a great catch! we wil have lots of fresh tuna, come Wednesday! I know the guys are having a blast!

We had our church picnic yesterday, I did lots of delegating, letting people think for themselves. so I got to sit down a time or 2 and chat with Linda and her dh. the weather was perfect!! the kids loved the bounce house I rented, just a real good time by all! We bbq'ed hamburgers and hotdogs, and had potluck salads and desserts. i zeroed in on watermelon slices and fresh brocolli.

I'm going to go check out a new class today, something about 'designing with glass by combining glass with clay, bending glass, making bowls, masks etc'...sounds intriguing!

Starting to count the days til New Orleans!!

Guess I better go feed the dog, she is sure that I will forget, dh usually has her fed by this time.

Have a great day, I'll check in later!

"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." (Aristotle)
I'm Off to make new habits!!

Last edited by gmalil; 09-10-2001 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:03 AM   #17  

Good morning, friends. I can't stay long and I am sorry I haven't been around much, but I think that is going to be the story for the rest of this month.

Last night I had a visit from one of the Cheerleader moms. She asked if I would be wililng to bid on doing the cheerleader homecoming mums - THIS YEAR - for fourteen cheerleaders! with the understanding that it would probably become a yearly thing. The place they have used all these years has gone out of business. I actually lost sleep last night thinking about it. When I went to bed, I thought maybe I could do it. By the time I got up this am, I had changed my mind. It will take me at least a week to lay in the supplies for the extra mums - and that presumes I can even obtain them this late. With 3 bridal showers planned this month (all on week-ends) I just know I am asking for a boatload of stress I don't need. I have decided to say No and offer to place a bid on them for next year with the understanding I need to know this year if I am to do them next season. That way I can get a really early start and won't have to sacrifice my regular customers - which is what would happen if I took it on this time. Why is it - when it rains, it pours?

Oh well. Carol, I am glad you are getting to Florida! I know how much you enjoy it there. Any progress in maybe moving permanently? I would imagine the coming of a new grandbaby will delay you ! I completely understand the male thing. They do seem to get more than their share of Play Time while the girls just keep on working!

Jan - Any word on DH's tests? Hope you had a good time in Denton. DD went to school in Fort Worth, you know, so I kind of know that neck of the woods a bit. We got a smidge of "fall" yesterday - of course we suffered through storms to get there. But it was very nice yesteday am - maybe today too. I haven't been outside yet.

Joyce - Wow, I hope you have lots of freezer space for all that fish! Think of the fish fry we could have! Yum.

Beth - Glad you checked in. I don't really stay officially OP anymore these days either, but it is always in the back of my mind and even though I don't journal like I should, I have managed not to gain anything back which I previously lost. ONE OF THESE DAYS, I will get back OP and get journaling again. I just can't find the mind-set right now.

Gotta go. I will check in when I can. Don't worry about me if I am not around as much as usual. Just busy, busy, busy - as we all are. Have a good Tuesday.
Old 09-12-2001, 08:15 PM   #18  

I hope you're all doing OK. I still can't believe what happened yesterday! Such a sad day.
I have been sitting by the computer all day today emailing everyone back home. Just wanted to let you all know that I'm OK. Hugs, Saara.
Old 09-13-2001, 10:30 AM   #19  
Inchworm

saara good to hear from you, I hope Yellowstone was a good experience for you!

I was at church last night for a prayer vigil, a very good experience! Hearing Psalms read, singing hymns, praying and just talking about a wide variety of emotions.
I just heard that tomorrow has been declared a National Day of Prayer by President Bush.
I'm so thankful that the leaders of our country are turning to God, expressing their faith in Him.
A New Yorker , on another thread has told about all the good things happening in New York. The lack of other crimes going on, the uniting of Americans to help one another...so heartwarming!

dh and ds came back yesterday from their big fishing trip. They had radio reports on the boat, and the captain had prepared them for the fact that harbors were closed and they might not be able to dock. But after being searched by the Coastguard, they were allowed in. They spent all afternoon cleaning and packaging the huge fish! I took some photos, which I will get developed and post on my website in a few days.
DS is supposed to fly home omorrow, he is afraid that he won't be able to, so is looking into trains, which probably wold not allow him to take his catch home. He has ice chests which could keep them frozen for the short trip on a plane.
DS said there are flags flying from many overpasses between here and San Diego, and they are up all over town....so good to see these symbols of Unity!

gotta go! dgd has a dental appt to start her root canal this morning... her sis has prepared her for the worst! Being a dental asst., she thought it was a good thing to do, I guess.
Old 09-14-2001, 12:05 PM   #20  

JOYce, I just knew that you and your friends and church family would find meaningful ways to get through this crisis. I'm sorry to hear your DS is having problems getting home; and imagine, the coast guard searching their fishing boat! That's so reassuring. Glad to hear the picnic went so well, and that others helped out.

Saara, good to hear from you, and thank you. It's hard to believe that all this really happened, isn't it? I hope that Finland didn't lose any citizens in the disaster; I understand that people from many different countries were in the World Trade Center at the time. This is truly a global tragedy.

Carol, this must be even worse for you, if that's possible, being in the Northeast. Have you been involved in caring for the survivors? I hope your back is feeling ok, and that you got home from Florida Monday as planned. Please let us know how you are doing!

Texaslady, how wise of you to decline the new contract; that would have been so stressful, you're right!

Beth, that Fitness for Teachers class sounds great; has it started yet? Will you be using a videotape? I'm sure it'll be fun exercising with friends.

Still no word on the ct scan, so will call this afternoon. Had a wonderful time in Denton; met some really interesting teachers, and we all shared ideas re: tech courses.

Take care, everyone, and let's keep in touch through all this.
Regards,
Jan
Old 09-15-2001, 06:29 AM   #21  

Good morning, everyone. Sorry to have been awol for so long- it's been a hectic week.
I didn't get to Florida. My original flight wasn't going to be running, so I rescheduled for Fri morning, but cancelled that after exdh told me they were expecting a tropical storm/hurricane by Sunday. Just as well I did- because of the weather, USAir cancelled all its flights to Florida yesterday anyhow. Plus, when exdh talked to dd last night he said his power had been out for 5 hours, they'd had awful rain and the eye of the storm was over that area right then. He was going to walk up to my little house and get some of my candles. So, I am now planning to go to Florida this coming weekend- hopefully!
The tragic events of this week have really hit this area hard. Since we are part of the DC suburban area, a large percentage of the people who live here work for the Federal government in DC. I don't know anyone who hasn't got a family membr, friend or aquaintance who works for the Pentagon. Fortunately I don't personally know anyone who was a casualty at this point, but I know several people with near-miss stories. Frightening.. It has been very eerie here. Our house is in the flight path for Andrews AFB (where Air Force One lands), and when no commercial planes were flying, we could hear and see military fighter jets going over our house at all hours of the day and night. Friends who work in the city talk of the heavy military presence, complete with weapons, on the street. It's a frightening sight. The one good thing about this whole tragedy is the way Americans have pulled together, regardless of gender, race, social status, education or whatever. How sad that it takes something like this to make us put aside our petty complaints and see each other as fellow Americans.
Beth, I'm glad school is going well for you. How'd the weigh in go? I have been so not op lately- thankfully I'm maintaining, but I'm certainly not dropping any weight. My Florida place is in Ocala in Central Florida- horse ranch country.
Joyce, how's the fish?? Yum!! I'll bet you were relieved to have them home! Glad you have learned to do some delegating these days!!
Texaslady, I'm SO glad you passed on bidding for the cheerleader's mums!! With all you've got going, added that would have probably had you ready for a rubber room! You asked about my permanent move- I swear, my friend, sometimes I think you are psychic!! I'll be moving after the baby is born. DD is due mid March, so I figure on April. That's assuming the current hurricane doesn't blow my house away! I submitted a proposal to my boss for continuing to do the bulk of my job, which is the allergy serum, from down there, but she turned it down, so when I make my 10 day trip to Florida after Christmas, it will be for a serious job search I guess.
Saara, I'm happy to hear that things are going well for you. Thanks for the hugs and thoughts for all of us.
Jan, I'm glad you all had a good time in Denton. Any word on DH's CT yet? It seems to be taking them a ridiculously long time to get the results to you- they should have been available in about 3 days! If you still haven't got them, I think if I were you I'd start making some noise to get their attention!!
Linda, how are things going with you? Check in when you can.
Janet, I know for sure that you're out there!!! Come on back to us! How's your back doing?

Today a friend from work and I are going shopping at a big "outlet" type mall that opened near Baltimore last winter. Don't know that I'll buy anything, but after having had plans to be enjoying myself all weekend in Florida go awry, I wanted to do SOMETHING this weekend.
Have a good weekend, everyone, and in addition to prayers for those touched by this tragedy, take the time to hug those you love and tell them how much they mean to you. Life is short.
Talk to you all later.
Carol
Old 09-15-2001, 08:27 AM   #22  

Good morning, girls. I am up early this Sat am. I stayed up late making mums last night and was too tired to wrap the gifts for dd's first bridal shower today. So got up about 5:30 this am to do that and get myself ready too.

The events of this week hurt my heart. Thanks for the sweet
thoughts, Saara. How are you doing at school? I know you are busy, but check in when you can and let us know how things are going.

Carol - I just knew you weren't going to go to Florida when I saw the weather! Have you had a damage report yet? The hurricane has certainly taken a back seat to the terrorist news - but I know it is just as devestating to those experiencing it. It seemed to come up so quickly - or maybe I was just lost in all the other events to realize it was out there. Our airports opened yesterday although I think they are only partially operable. I hope you will be able to get out next week-end and hopefully you will get some R&R and not have to just clean-up the mess after the storm. Good luck on your job hunt - I know you are going to find something. Nurses are a critical shortage here - I suspect it is the same in other places as well. I also know how difficult it will be for you to leave your grandbabies. But we do what we have to do.

Jan, any news on dh tests yet? Glad you had a good time at the conference. Always nice to get some fresh ideas on how to approach things. How's your Dad? I thought about you guys the other day. My Mom gave me a book of old photos of my Dad & his family taken when he was a child. Years ago, I had found that book and sat down with DAd and had him go over the photos with me and tell me who was in them (he remembered most of them). I wrote the information on the photos. I am now so glad that I did that. Now that he is gone, the info about the people & scenes in the pictures would be lost to me as Mom doesn't know a lot of them either.

Beth - How's it going? Has your life settled down a bit now? It is your son getting married, right? I forget - more CRS sydrome. How are the wedding plans going? We put the invitations in the mail a couple weeks ago and responses are starting to come in. Exciting. But our outstanding postal service returned my own Mother's wedding invitation to me as "attempted, not known". Now she has lived at the same address for over 60 years! And I assure you it was correctly addressed.

Joyce - What an experience for your fishermen! Was your son ever able to get home with his catch? There was a news blurb last night about how all the TRAINS & BUSSES are full now = people can't or won't fly so they are going by bus, trains & cars. I hope he didn't have to leave behind all that wonderful fish, and if he did, that you can store it for him until the next time he comes.

Looks like our group is getting really small. We need to go over to the main boards and try to recruit some new members! Anyone heard from Janet (kudzu)? And where's Linda these days? Guess we have lost the others, too. :sad:

Gotta go & do something to my hair!! Will check in again when I can.

Last edited by texaslady; 09-15-2001 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-16-2001, 10:44 AM   #23  

Good Morning Ladies!
What a sad week this has been! At the same time it has been an uplifting week! Those terriorists really don't understand us if they think blowing up the WTC and Pentagon will cripple us. We are more united and stronger than ever! It is so heartwarming to see flags flying everwhere. A mom at our school made red, white, and blue ribbons for all the kids to wear. Teachers also wore ribbons and flag stickers. On Wednesday at dismissal, the song "God Bless the USA" was played on the intercom. The children were singing at the top of their lungs while they were walking to their buses. I remember this song first playing during the Gulf war - before many of these kids were even born!

My WI showed a 1.2 lb. gain over a two week period. Not too bad for being off program. I tried to get back on track this week but wasn't too successful. I have quit journaling and that is really what keeps me on track. I have to get back to that again!

Texaslady - My son's wedding is a year away so we have not really done much yet. I have to get together a list of names for invitations. They have not set the date with the church, yet. What day is your wedding? Must be getting really close!

Carol - Hope your house in FL fared OK with the hurricane. Did you get a flight out this weekend? I heard that Reagan Int'l is probably going to stay closed. That would make it pretty crowded at Dulles!

Jan - The fitness class went very well this week. We were supposed to meet on Tuesday but cancelled because of the events of the day. We did exercise on Thursday. The PE teacher is a fitness trainer and he led us through some strengthening exercises with weights and then 20 mins. of walking/jogging. It was fun! About 12 teachers were there. We are supposed to meet 2 times a week but haven't got a schedule yet. All of us have so many things going on after dismissal that there doesn't seem to be a good day and time for everyone.

Joyce - Did your ds find his way home? Airports opened around here on Thursday but I don't think I would have the nerve to fly just yet. Even if the terrorists don't do another thing, this kind of stuff always brings out the "crazies" and they can do enough damage themselves!

Hope you all have a great OP Week!

Beth
Old 09-16-2001, 10:05 PM   #24  

Carol, so glad that you are ok, and that none of your friends or their family was involved in the disaster. And I agree, this has helped people realize how we need to pull together. Today at church, we had a larger crowd than usual, and there was a bit more hugging than even we Texans usually do. Re: the scan, couldn't reach his doctor Friday, but will try again tomorrow.

Texaslady, how wonderful that you and your Dad identified all those photos. And how coincidental that you should say that, as Dad and I are doing the same thing right now! We went to Wal-Mart a few weeks back and bought albums with note space beside each pic, and Dad is going through and annotating hundreds of photos right now. I'm going to move my desktop computer over there, so we can scan some of them and save on CD. Maybe I can make a CD in honor of his 85th birthday (in Nov, when we always have a big family party for him) and make copies for the family. In the stuff he's dug out, there are letters of commendation (& medals, like the British DFC) for his bravery in rescuing downed pilots in the Adriatic, under fire, and photos of him with the squadron of pilots he commanded. Made me think about what our young military officers may be called on to face, in the near future.

Beth, your exercise group sounds like fun! Wish our faculty would work together on something like that. I don't think you should worry about such a slight gain; you'll overcome that soon, esp. with the extra activity. And you're right, journalling is key!

Hope everyone made it through the weekend ok. Dh and I went up to San Antonio yesterday, and I went to a WW mtg (lost .6) for my monthly checkin. Found a new school dress ($10!), a suit, and a long black velvet dress for Christmas parties; shopping is a whole new experience now, I love it!

This week will be busy; glad I teach 1/2 days now! Would hate to miss class time. Tue & Wed at distance learning workshops, Thur. afternoon my last post-surgery checkup (I think) and Friday afternoon, we pick up my sweet little sister at the airport for a weekend visit. Can't wait to see her! At times like these, we need to be with those we love. The week will just fly by.

Janet, hope you are doing ok; we miss you! Linda, how's it going? Saara, tell us more about your Yellowstone trip?

Regards, Jan
Old 09-17-2001, 12:07 AM   #25  
Inchworm

Default Sunday evening...

I do not know where time is going these days!! It just flies by!!
Our church was packed this morning, and we had a great sermon... what a job, to find the right words to encourage a congregation!!! and we ended the service singing "God Bless America" as our prayer before the benediction. I confess, I couldn't sing, the tears would have flown uncontrollably!!

Dgd is on alert, she would be part of a medical team if sh is deployed. Her boyfriend and thier roommates all work on the planes, and will probably be among the earlier ones to be deployed... I've been saying that ds is safe, but he told me tonight that he is in the inactive reserves, so should they get to the bottom of the barrel, he will 'go'.

dgd is soooooo proud to be part of the USAF! she is very confident in her training and has much enthusiasm and pride in her voice. She has called 3 times since Tuesday. She has told me repeatedly that the USAF is "THE BEST".

Yes, ds got home on Friday, he had a delay when they changed planes in Vegas, to wait for Stewardesses to get back...then they ended up escorting a passenger off the plane for being too boistrous.

What a refreshing change on t.v. tonight, Mrs Doubtfire! guess I will go enjoy it..

Best regards to all, I'm so glad that 'our little family' is all o.k.!!
Old 09-17-2001, 03:01 AM   #26  

Well, texaslady, I think that you are very smart to have turned the job of making the mums for the cheerleaders down at this time. A very good decision.

Carol, I am so glad that you got rid (however it happened) of that pesky cricket in your bedroom. They are so noisy when they are outside, I can't imagine how loud one would be in the middle of the night, in the same room as one is trying to sleep. Heavens!

Every single house on our block has a flag flying, I am so glad to see everyone in the spirit. Church has been very comforting, as JOYce said. It's good to be with loved ones now more than ever, isn't it.

Here is a site I received in a newsletter to which I am subscribed. I found it helpful, and I hope that you will, too. http://www.wmsj.org/palauresponse.asp

Take care, all of you--God bless us, every one.
Old 09-18-2001, 01:51 AM   #27  

Default I'm Back...

Hi everyone! I know I haven't posted for awhile, but I want you all to know that each and every one of you have been in my thoughts and prayers, especially during this past week. I wish I had a good reason for not posting lately, but the truth is that I don't. It has become increasingly difficult to post from work lately, and I haven't been getting online at home. Right now, I'm posting from DD's new laptop that I got her for graduation. She hasn't taken it back to the dorm with her yet, so I get to play. Our desktop pc has gotten where it constantly freezes up, so I rarely turn it on. I also haven't had much to report on the weight loss front...until now. I have been in a weight loss funk lately. Finally, after I realized last week that I had gained back a significant amount of the 40 pounds that I had lost, I got a grip. I refuse to go back to my old ways of eating, so I started following WW diligently again. It is amazing how much better I already feel...in only one week. WW is so easy to follow, so I don't know why I get off track. I think it is the mental aspect of always having to keep track, instead of just mindlessly eating. It does take discipline and planning, but everytime I start back again, I immediately think "why did I ever stop following this plan?" Maybe one day I will finally feel that "click" once and for all and it will really sink in. Hopefully, this will be that time!

Carol, the last time we spoke on the phone you had not heard back from your boss on your proposal. I was sorry to hear that it was turned down. I know that you will find a job that you love as much as the one you have now once you get to Florida. Any employer will be lucky to have you!! I hope that your trip to Florida this coming weekend will be an enjoyable one.

Texaslady, it sounds like you have been really busy. I agree that it was probably best that you turned down the extra mum work, but that was smart of you to leave the door open for next year. The wedding plans sound like they are coming along beautifully. I can't wait to see all the pictures. I am lucky that I got to see the beautiful flowers that you had already bought for the table arrangements, so I can really picture how wonderful they are going to look. I thought about you often when we were having so much rain. Our streets were flooded several times and one night I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get to my house. I always know that whatever weather I am having, you have just had.

Jan, I'm so glad that you are feeling better since your surgery. I'm anxious to hear about DH's tests, so please let us know as soon as you do. Please tell your dad and DH I said hello, and give them my best. Enjoy your visit with your sister!!

Saara, I'm glad you let us know that you are okay. I hope you are enjoying your time in the United States. I would love to hear about your trip to Yellowstone. I have never been, but have always wanted to go.

Joyce, I got chill bumps as I read what you wrote about your DGD being so proud to be in the USAF. I can't tell you how that made my heart feel. My daddy was in the Air Force for over 10 years, and he still beamed with pride as he recalled stories about his years of service. I wish he was here so that I could talk to him about all that has happened this past week.

Beth, you and I haven't really gotten to know each other since I stopped posting regularly just about the time that you started here, but I wanted to tell you how glad I am that you are now a part of this wonderful group.

Linda Jean, I hope you and your family are all well!

I feel like I have skipped someone, so I apologize if that is the case. I have missed you all, and I am going to do my best to be a regular poster again. Please forgive any typo's in this post. I am having trouble getting the hang of this little mouse button on this laptop. I guess I will have to hook up an external mouse!

One more thing before I close. I just wanted to say that it has warmed my heart to see how this nation has drawn together. My church is always packed, but this past Sunday we had people sitting everywhere. I have never seen it so crowded. I have to admit that I am a proud southerner, and I have been guilty of thinking of this country in terms of "regions"...but no more. I have felt so strongly this past week that we are truly "One Nation Under God" and I have felt so much love and sorrow for the New Yorkers and other areas. The terrorists thought that they could divide our country, but they have done the opposite!! Even here, I have noticed a difference in how people are treating each other. Mississippi stores are completely sold out of flags, as I'm sure other areas are. I don't mean to get mushy...but I have just felt so proud to be an American!!

Well, I'm sure some of you are thinking "boy is she back...with her long posts!" I'll try not to be so long winded next time! Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone!!

Janet (Kudzu)
Old 09-18-2001, 02:21 AM   #28  
Inchworm

Default One Nation Under God!!

Kudzu, I think that says it all! We have seen the same responses arond here. There are no flags to be found in stores, but some stores have promised they are on the way.
when ds was in Desert Storm, I made 100's of little heart shape wooden flag pins, and when this started a friend asked about them, so I dug out my stuff and made about 50 and have distributed most of them today. People are so glad to get them, especially those who have not been able to find a big one. (I fly one all the time, since my ds did his time in Saudi) I thought the UPS man was going to hug me today!! but he blew kisses instead. He was so glad to get them!
I'm glad you are back!! I have missed your posts.

Linda has been doing the same with beaded pins made out of safety pins.
I am very proud of my DGD. I wish I could bottle the enthusiasm and pride that I hear in her voice.

I'm envious of Jan shopping for her skinny clothes! (green with envy) Just kidding! I'm vewry happy for you. What fun! Can hardly wait to meet you! Only 9 more days til I get on that plane!
YIKES!! I am not nearly ready!!

Carol Have a great trip to Florida! I wish it was to New Orleans!

I went to 2 different ceramic classes today, guess I better clean house tomorrow! I'll have to fix some of that fish for dinner, I gave Linda a recipe that ds gave me from the cook on the fishing boat, and she said it is as good as ds said, so I need to do it!
Have I mentioned that my great fisherman husband doesn't enjoy eating the stuff?!?!!? but he does, once in a while.

Must go for tonight!
Old 09-18-2001, 09:59 PM   #29  

Default One Nation Under God!

I second that!!! It really is a joy to see our churches bursting and all of the flag waving going on. DD called me yesterday to say that there was a coach -- football, I believe; from New York who was asked if he didn't think his team should get back to playing, to make a diversion for us. He replied, "If they want a diversion, they should go to church!" I thought that was just pretty wonderful that he spoke out that way.

Janet, WELCOME BACK! It is so good to see you back on the site. I know what you mean about drifting away from the program and regaining; it is pretty easy to do, isn't it? I applaud your determination to get back OP, and I am glad that you are noticing a diff in how you feel already. Keep it up, you'll make it to lifetime-- I know it!
Old 09-19-2001, 04:31 AM   #30  

Good morning, everyone. I hope your week has gotten off to a good start.
Texaslady, how did the bridal shower go? Did dd get lots of nice things? What an exciting time for them! My lttle Florida house fared weel during the tropical storm/hurricane, according to my exdh. They were without powe for about 15 hours. Hopefully I'll be able to see for myself this weekend- I'm flying out tomorrow afternoon and coming back Monday night. I got a big kick out of your mom's invitation returning "attempted, unknown"!! Unbelievable!!
Beth, I have a feeling that 1.2 pound gain will be gone in no time with your new exercise program!! But you are right- not journalling is a problem. Tracking all the food that goes into your mouth is the key to success! I've gotten away from it too- maybe I could drop this last 25 pounds if I'd get back to it. I fly out of BWI, so National Airports closure doesn't affect my flight plans, but it sure is hurting the airlines! They recommend arriving at the airport 4 hours before flight time. Thank heaven I don't have a 6AM flight this time!
Jan, any word on dh's CT scan? I know he must be anxious. Your Christmas dress sounds beautiful- I love black velvet!!! It sounds like your dad is really enjoying his photo project, and sharing his memories and his proud moments with you. Cherish every one of them!! Please give him and dh my best. Is this the Florida sister who will be visiting this weekend? I know you will have a wonderful visit!
Janet, welcome back to the fold, and kudos for getting back on track!!! We've all missed you! How's your back? Be careful you don't re-injure it! Tried to call you last night for a respite from the craziness here- sorry I missed you!
Joyce, flags are impossible to find around here too, as you can well imagine! The local Walmart found 200 of them in storage- they put them out Saturday when they opened at 6AM, and by 6:05 they were sold out! Even red, white and blue ribbon is very scarce! I have a flag pin I had gotten somewhere during Desert Storm- it has a flag surrounded by a yellow ribbon(ceramic), and I wear that all the time now. How sweet of you to make the heart shaped flag pins!! You are such a thoughtful lady! I went to church with dd Sunday (she's the organist), and the minister's sermon was so moving and heartwarming. The "peace" greeting during the service was longer and more heartfelt than usual, with tight hugs replacing handshakes. One of the hymns we sang was America the Beautiful, and when we came to the line "thine alabaster cities gleam undimmed by human tears" I don't think there was a dry eye in the church. One of my patients is from New York- she and her husband lost 2 friends in the WTC bombing- both firemen, one in his 40's and one age 50, both with children. How sad!!!
Linda, the flags flying everywhere is a heart warming sight. It's amazing how the petty differences that divided Americans don't seem to matter anymore. We see each other as a united family with a common goal. That perhaps is the one (and only) good thing about the tragedy.
Saara, how are things going with you? You are certainly getting a good look at our country at it's best and worst! I understand there is a lot of discussion going on about the Olympics in SLC now that this has happened. Have you heard anything about any changes?
Well, ladies, I'd better run. Hopefully I'll be awol in Florida (wish me luck!)until Monday night, so I'll "talk" to you on my return. Have a good day and a pleasant weekend. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
Carol
Closed Thread