3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   WW Clubs and Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-clubs-groups-106/)
-   -   Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr. old #130 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-clubs-groups/8213-feisty-sexy-50-60-yr-old-130-a.html)

flaggies 08-06-2001 06:57 PM

Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr. old #130

G'day all.

Took a long time this morning to download our page, thought I would start afresh.

Nothing terribly interesting to report from this side of the world. It has been cold and windy and really quite miserable. I thought I would 'defuzz' myself this morning, in winter I tend to let the 'hairy' legs go a bit:D . Before long I will be complaining of the heat and you guys complaining about the snow;)
I lived for 12 months in Darwin some years ago. Darwin has a tropical climate, 6 months dry, 6 months wet and all 12 months hot , I know what I prefer. I love the seasons especially spring and autumn.

We received a phone call from China last night of the person who went there instead of dh. He wants to know if there is a possibility of us doing a swap:?: He is living in a one bedroom apartment on the 30th floor, he cannot see across the city because of the smog and the temperatures are in the high thirties (C) and the humidity 80%:( :(
No, we won't be going (I think!) Told dh that I must be sure that we stay put for 3 months whilst my feet heal. He assured me we would, hopefully his company will think the same.
Once my feet are right I don't care and would probably find the experience just that, one **** of an experience:D

Where is Slavika ? Did I miss reading she went away?
Anyway hope everyone is well and coping with the heat.

Cheers
Maria

slavika 08-06-2001 08:48 PM

...great long weekend

:wave:
Hi Everybody
Went to the lake for the long weekend. The weather was just great. Saturday night it really rained, but that was good as it was really hot. All us "older dollies" who hang out at the lake together, were playing around in the water with those "noodles" just like the children do :)...........we had just as much fun as them too. :D Today, my little grandson tried water skiing for the first time. On his second try he made it up :) not for long, but still went a bit. Then he tried knee boarding behind the boat and did really well until he wiped out. He "forgot" :( to undo the velcro strap) when he fell off and the board was sort of on top of him and he was scared. He said, in a very calm scared voice, "help, help, I think I am going to die". Well with his Baba, Papa, and Mother in the boat there was absolutely no chance of that ever happening and of course he and all the rest of us had on life jackets but he was scared. His Mother was first in the water to get him, but by that time he was free of the board. His Mom helped him up the ladder and he had a "little cry" and said, he would try again later. We all told him what a wonderful job he did, how proud we were of him that he made it up on the board AND how calm he was when he wiped out. :love: Then my Son decided he would give skiing a try. He had not been up on skiis for a very long time, but he was very good at one time. He did very well and his kids loved it. As I watched my Son, I thought, I can still remember the "FIRST" time he tried water skiing and today we watched "HIS" Son's first attempts at skiing. :) All in all it was a great weekend.
Anne thank you so much for the Birthday wishes. I'm happy your holiday was a good one and "Welcome Back". Maria I think it does us all good to have these varied discussions. Sometimes we might think it is just us, or just our family but then we learn that's not true. Keep sharing please. :)
I find it very difficult at the lake to remain "on program". Everything tastes so good, and there seems to be so many more treats around.....:eek:
Well, I'll say good night, I enjoyed reading the posts when I got home. Night all. :wave:

survivor 08-07-2001 12:25 PM

Slavika - seems like you had a great weekend, but those nostalgic memories do creep in, don't they? Your grandson sounds like just such a little doll. No wonder you are so proud. So brave!

Well, here we go. Another week of .6 loss. And I drank water, and I walked miles and miles. This is just so typical. I must quit thinking about it, but it is a bit discouraging.
Glenda

LilyG 08-07-2001 02:21 PM

Maria: Hope you arent moving again. You just did! Liked the Defuzz :lol:
The joys of being a women.

Slavika: The story of your grandson brought back memories. I learned to Water ski when I was 10. My first time they told me just to hang on to the rope and dont let go. Well I fell and guess what, I kept hanging on to the rope until it dawned on me I was suppose to let go if I did fall. :o :o
Im sure he was scared at first but it Sounds like he got over it. He will be a pro in no time
Oh memories of the lake. I miss it so.......

Glenda: .6 is good! I know it does get discouraging, but evey bit counts. It takes time and its coming off and thats what counts!
Just keep hanging in there.

Later All!

flaggies 08-07-2001 07:19 PM

G'day all

Slavika what a scary experience with your grandson. My one and only experience with waterski-ing was that as I got up from the crouching position, the top of my bikini shot up around my neck:o Being fairly well endowed, I did not hold onto the rope for long:D

Glenda congratulations on the loss, you'll get there. I am sure we all know how discouraging a 'small' loss can be when you have been so 'good', at least it was a loss:)

Lily dh came home last night with a bunch of tulips (very unlike him) for a minute I thought it was to 'soften' me up for another move. He was a bit miffed for me thinking that!

As you all probably remember me mentioning, I am scanning some very old slides to computer and then to CD-ROM.
What struck me as I am doing a lot of reminiscing, how ‘thin’ I was and really quite attractive!! :)
Why oh why did I always think of myself as being ‘very average’ at best and of course always, grossly overweight! I was an extremely skinny child and ‘blossomed’ in puberty.
I know in my days having been brought up as a very strict catholic, vanity was a major sin, so any excessive viewing of one self in the mirror was frowned upon. I even remember confessing being vain when I had a particularly bad time with my thin flighty hair and spent more time than usual in front of the mirror.
I sewed all of my own clothes from a very young age, my parents never complimented that a garment looked good, but merely commented if the garment was well made or not. The shifts (or Mu-Mu’s}of the day were not regarded as a bit of fun and easy to ‘throw’ together, but as being lazy and they made you look like a sack of potatoes!
I was telling dh last night how I felt and he had no idea that I ever felt that way.
I have always been happy with being 56 but on seeing those slides I cannot help but feel regret that I was always so down on myself, strongly encouraged by the environment I lived in.
What it would be like to go back to those days and appreciate being slim and attractive instead of dismissing any compliments or thinking of the ulterior motive behind the compliment.
It is not possible to go back but it is possible to be slim again and make the best of what you got. So this little sojourn in the past has made me more determined than ever to get rid of this excess weight, accept compliments (I am getting better and I am able to just say ‘thank you’) and just enjoy life, soon with pain free feet.;)
I would love to hear your views and experiences.

Cheers
Maria

Lizziepie 08-07-2001 10:14 PM

Hi All. Slavika: Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I tried water skiing once, and thought I was going to drown, so I can identify. Thought of you today as I made the tropicolada cake. Yum!

Glenda: .6 is good. That is almost half a half a pound of butter. Keep up the good work. You will make it. I will have my first weigh-in since vacation this Sat. and I know I am way over. So I have to practice what I preach.

Maria: I think I must be just the opposite. I have no pictures of me when I was younger, as I was always on the 'plump' side and took a lot of teasing when I was in school. I didn't begin to slim down at all, until I was in college, and then it was hard for me to accept compliments. I always wanted to go on a diet, and my parents would say "we love you just the way you are. You are fine" So you know the result. When I got away from home, then I was able to diet. But I never had a great self image, for a long time. Now it pleases me to have someone say I look good, and like you I can smile and say thank you, and believe they are sincere. What things we put ourselves through, but I guess that is all a part of growing up and learning and accepting who we are.
Defuzzing is good. Have you made any decisions yet about your feet?

We finally did it today. We bought a computer and will be getting it next week. You may not hear too much from me until I can become a bit literate. It will be a new experience for us both.

Hi all. See you later. Ann

slavika 08-07-2001 11:36 PM

....the way we were

:wave:
Hi Everybody
Maria I laughed when I read your post about your bikini ending up around your neck during a water skiing attempt. I had a similar experience. I was around 18 yrs old and a group of us were playing around in the lake on a huge tractor tire. At some point I ended up with my head under the water, and when I came up gasping for air and wiping the water out of eyes I realized MY top was down under my breasts. I have always tanned very easily and back in "those days" I was very dark........and the part showing was very white. LOL :D
It's funny you mentioning those old slides. My friend of over 25 yrs had a big poster sized picture of me done for my husband shortly after I met her. I was sitting at the back of a ski boat in a respectable two piece swim suit. I never liked the picture because I thought I had this "HUGE" roll. BROTHER....don't I wish. :)
Ann I hope you find someone close by who can give you a little bit of help for a couple of months until you learn the things you will be able to do with your computer. When you get the "blue screen of death" that says something like, "your computer has just suffered a fatal error", don't panic, LOL just reboot, :) and enjoy. Glenda congrats on your loss. Boy, take every little loss you can get and just smile. :) Lily looks like your experience behind the the ski boat was much the same as my grandsons. LOL :D Glad you finally let go!
Tea time was nice today. Trudy was over and looked great as she was going out to dinner later. Dee and her daughter were over too and both looked great having just returned from holidays.
I'll say good night now, talk to you all tomorrow.

flaggies 08-08-2001 01:20 AM

back again..........

ann good luck with your new computer, I am sure you will manage it all OK. The only thing I can say is if you have a problem, look for the simple answer, invariably that is what fixes it and if all else fails just re-boot, wonderful invention:D
From a person supposedly reasonably experienced with computers, I have to confess that I have been booted about 6 times today. I have been cursing the system in these apartments when all of a sudden it dawned on me that I got booted every time I tried to access my email or sent something.
I rang my service provider for some guidance and the settings were set incorrectly:o :o
I feel a bit of a dil but everything is working ok again:)

Slavika I have the picture of the poster in my mind:D which reminds me of the picture I have attached. We had that made into poster size many years ago. DH and our two children with the dummies (or pacifiers as you call them I think).
It hung for many years in the playroom, it is now in the garage a bit battered but I haven't got the heart to throw it out.:(

DD rang and invited herself and fiancee for dinner. Both have the flu and are feeling a bit miserable.

Cheers
Maria

Cal Walker 08-08-2001 06:36 PM

Hello everyone
Remember me?
We just got back from vacation and I have a new 'puter here at work so I thought I'd take a quick break and see if I can finally communicate with you all:wave:
We went to Hawaii to celebrate our 25th and it was wonderful! And - yes we did try to stay on program the whole time : Do you know how few macadamia nuts it takes to get to 5 points!!
Now that I'm back I have arranged (and have been doing) excercise time from 6-7 a.m. 3 mornings a week at 24 hour Fitness. It takes planning and determination but I am getting in the groove. This has been a slow summer weight loss wise so I hope the new activity will jumpstart me.
So, this is a test message and I hope I am finally back in communication!:lol:

Margot

flaggies 08-08-2001 06:43 PM

your test message worked..........

Hi Margot, good to 'see' you again. I think I just started posting around the same time that you stopped:D

Coincidence, I am sure ;)

Cheers
Maria

slavika 08-08-2001 11:26 PM

...welcome back Margot

:wave: Hi there everybody and a warm welcome back to you Margot , I've missed your posts. Where in Hawaii did you go? How did you manage to get away without taking our Lily with you. LOL :D I know exactly how many macdamia nuts you get for 5 points about 1 oz or a very small 1/4 cup or about 16 nuts. Do you think I might have had a few on my holidays in Hawaii. :dizzy: Good for you for getting back into the healthy eating/exercise mode. I find summer a difficult time to remain on program. It seems like there are more "things" to go to, more snacks to eat and a few things to drink too I might add. :D
I had a great day out with my friend today. I picked up the 4 leaf clover I had designed for DH and the fellow who designed it did a good job. At first I wasn't sure I liked it or that it "looked" that much like a 4 leaf clover but the more I looked at it, the better I liked it. It's like the designer "drew" a clover free hand (which I guess he did) so it doesn't look "exact". I also bought a chain for it, so that's over and done with.
Ann how are you coming along with the new computer?
I'll talk to you all tomorrow. Night. :)

survivor 08-09-2001 11:59 AM

Margot - I am so happy you posted! I have been wondering where you are. You and hubby went to Hawaii and tried to stay on program. I am so proud of you. And if this summer has been slow, you haven't gone backwards, so it has been a great season.

Maria - don't you imagine all of us have stories about our younger days? Must just be a young-person thing to obsess about our looks. I was never pretty, was a bookworm to boot, so my high school days weren't that great. Actually, I look better now than I have in my whole life--maybe just because I accept myself. With age, I have decided to like myself and after cancer, I was just so happy to have the chance to life myself. I was never really thin, usually about where I am now, but I always had the thunder thighs, which were my cross to bear. Oh well!

I am taking off work on Monday and Tuesday and going to my son's and babysit my grandson while his mom does an art project. Looking forward to it!
Glenda

LilyG 08-09-2001 12:02 PM

Margot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maria: How nice for DH to come home with some flowers. Have him talk to my DH K? I like looking at old pictures. I was always thin when I was younger. Didnt really Ballon until about 15 years ago. Now those pictures I dont like seeing at all. matter of fact I always hid from the camera. Love that picture you attached!

Ann: How exciting with the new computer. I have never used WebTv so I dont know what the difference will be. Hope you enjoy it!

Slavika: :lol: on the dreaded blue screen. Sometimes that blue screen doesnt reboot. Thats what happen when I crashed my brand new one. It didnt want to reboot. Thats when I call DH! Your Hubby will like the Clover, im sure. It sounds nice and better as it was specially made.

Margot!!!!!!! So good to see you! We have been worried about you. Bet you loved that Hawaii trip! It is a wonderful place to go. Hey.. why didnt you call me so I could be a tour guide? :lol:
Im sure you were lost and didnt know what to see with out me. ;)

Best get to work, Im suppose to me in a meeting :o

flaggies 08-09-2001 07:10 PM

G'day all,

A nice sunny day here in Melbourne.
We went to the musical 'Patsy Cline' last night. DH wasn't that keen to come but agreed to come anyway. It was great and dh enjoyed it as well. I am sort of middle of the road as far as country and western music goes (love Shania Twain, Chris Isaak, Neil Diamond, Dolly Parton etc.)
The singer who played the role of Patsy Cline sings mainly jazz but just did a fantastic job singing the old Patsy Cline numbers like 'Crazy', 'After midnight' etc. etc.
I have been having trouble settling back into life in Melbourne again, last night cheered me up no end.:)
The other thing that has cheered me up is that I finished doing the scanning of the slides. In some ways it was good reminiscing and in other ways not, it was probably reflected in my posts:(

Glenda I think you are absolutely right, I am sure it is a 'young' thing this body image thing but I am really pleased that my daughter is not like that, must have done something right along the way;) Have fun with the baby sitting 'chores'. Does your son live far from you?

Ann haven't heard from you yet, hope you are having fun with your new computer.

Slavika glad I am not that fond of macedamia nuts, didn't realise the high point count. Love cashews which haven't got a great point count either:( Have you given your four leave clover gift to your dh yet? It sounds really nice.

Lily I have mentioned a 'few' times now to dh that the flowers are just lovely and give me a lot of pleasure, I hope he has taken the hint that he can bring flowers home more often;)

Saw a news report about the heat in America and Canada. It sounds pretty bad and rather relentless. I don't mind the heat too much, if it is accompanied with high humidity that is when I just hate it and find it difficult to cope.

Hi to everyone else, have a great day

Cheers
Maria

Cal Walker 08-09-2001 08:28 PM

What a great welcome back!

I am so excitied that I can finally "talk" with you all. I think the problem is MAC related with my home computer but will still try to fix it.

Hawaii was wonderful and we had to sneak out of state to avoid Lily!!:lol: but it was, after all, a romantic anniversary trip for two!
We stayed on the Big Island on the Kona Coast at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and I have never been so pampered. We both went to the spa and had coconut scrubs and massages (DH had never been exfoliated before! ) I was a little intimidated about the body stuff but went anyway and really enjoyed it. I am going back!

Your body image discussion rang true for me. I never appreciated what I had when I was young. I am grateful for everything I have today but especially my health.

Ann I too have new computer and have switched from MAC to PC. It was a lot easier than I thought and so far so good! One benefit is that I can post here again.

I'm off - have to figure out dinner and get to bed early so I can get to the gym by 5:45 A.M. ( I never thought I'd say that :D

Margot