Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 10:42 PM   #16  
Net browser

Default ...much cooler temperatures today

Hi Everybody
Maria my DH birthday is not until Aug 31st, so I will give him his 4 leaf clover then. You must be pleased that the big job of scanning all those slides is behind you. Sometimes I think it's good for us to have a look at our pasts and see how far we have come, and I don't mean financially or things like that, but more in personal growth.
Margot sounds like your holiday was wonderful if you are planning on going again. DH and I are talking now about maybe going to Maui again in February. He says three weeks, I'm trying for one month. This is my plan of action. (1) Well we have to pay the outrageous air fare so we might as well stay the extra week. (2) We always have groceries left after after three weeks so we might as well stay the extra week. (3) We are never really that home sick after three weeks so we might as well stay the extra week. (4) THIS IS THE CLINCHER.....{"YOU "could golf an extra two or three times if we stayed the extra week. So what do you gals think? Any further suggestions would be very appreciated.
Had the grandbabies over for a couple of hours today and we played with play dough and read books....nice way to spend a couple of hours on a cool day.
Talk to you all tomorrow. Night.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:11 PM   #17  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Oh I would love to see that play. DH loves her music. I got hooked on it from him. I bet it was a good one!
My DH will bring flowers once in a blue moon so I shouldnt complain. Its always at the niceset times to!

Margot: How rude! I knew you snuck out of state with out me. Sounds like you had a wonderful time there and very relaxing. We drove through Kona and stop for a drink at the Mauna Lani. It was a nice place. Going to the gym so early to! Good for you!
How much have you lost now?

Slavika: A whole month would be wonderful. I think you probably have him on the golf thing. How could he resist that? You sneaky person
We are talking of going again next year. Not this one but a whole year away. ALAS........

Glenda: Your gonna have fun babysitting. Now dont go spoiling him rotten! I know you will tho!

Have a great night all!
Old 08-10-2001, 01:40 AM   #18  

Default Ahhhhhhhhh for the cool weather

What a beautiful Minnesota day we had. The breeze was blowing nice and cool all day in fact early in the day I needed a sweater! What a difference a day make.

My,my you all have sure been talkative. There was a lot of conversation to catch up on.

First off let me say Hello to Margot. Long time no see. Glad to have you back in the loop. Your vacation sounds wonderful. I truly admire you getting up so early to go to the gym. We always knew you had lots of Determination !

Now then Patsy Cline is my very favorite . I have all her music on CD's and tape. My DH is forced to listen to it while trapped in the car with me and here at home. Most times he doesn't complain too much. There was a show go through here a couple of years ago about her life and My Mom and I went to it. I loved it and for days was singing Sweet Dreams.

Ann hows it going with the new computer. My advice is to wade in with both hands and have fun. The girls here will give you lots of help. All you gotta do is ask.

Slavika Your GS is a very brave little boy. I have never tried to water ski. Never really had the chance. Used to like to do the tube thing behind a boat.

Body image and being young. I was very thin as a 20 something. So thin could have been mistaken for very sick Didn't begin to gain weight until I was well into my 30"s then I gained 30 pounds and began to look healthy. Then the worm turned and i gained the fifty that I lost almost 7 years ago. I was never happy with the way I looked. Now I have accepted the fact that I will never be super thin and don't really want to be I think the weight I am today is realistic for me and I am very happy with how i look and most of all I am healthy. I totally agree with Glenda I am just plain glad to be alive

Got to go to bed I am getting punchy

Karen
Old 08-10-2001, 02:06 AM   #19  

How strange Karen for you to go to bed and for me it is towards the end of the day that you haven't had yet I have none of Patsy Cline cd's but I have always liked her and the show was just great. Will now seriously look for one of her cd's.

Slavika what can this 'gal' say to persuade your dh to stay an extra week. The golfing thing would definetly persuade mine. By the way I came across the picture of your dh and have attached it to this post.
We have made some investigations for a week in Hawaii but with the value of the australian dollar, my chances don't look good
We are also looking at Vietnam, many Australians go there and I am told it is a great country and it is very good value for money. It is hard to get the images out of your head from the Vietnam war days and see it as a holiday destination.
Our first priority is THE wedding on January 26, after that we will decide where to go on holidays.

Got to run.

Cheers
Maria

PS now that I have attached the golfer, he looks a bit pathetic, oh well.

Last edited by flaggies; 08-10-2001 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:02 PM   #20  

Hi, I am trying to catch up on all conversations. You all have been busy. Slavika all of your reasons sound good to me for staying an extra week. Why come home to cold when you can be in paradise. Sounds like plain old common sense to me. Margot it sounds like you had a wonderful time and you were good too. How much more have you lost since you last posted? I am at a plateau and it is getting very frustrating. Maria I think Vietnam would be interesting to see. Take care of your feet first so you can dance at the wedding. Glenda have fun babysitting. I bet you are spoiling him aren't you? Nothing exciting is happening here - it is still so hot and humid you think you are melting. Karen send that cool weather down. Have to go to the mall and return something and buy a wedding present. TAlk later,
Old 08-10-2001, 07:30 PM   #21  
Senior Chick

Hello All

Just a quick note!

Well Peggy, I too have been on a plateau so that is why I am dedicated to the exercise. I am still hovering around 115 lost but I weigh in tomorrow so maybe I'll have some news.

I'm off to the market so I can make something healthy to bring to my women's investment club (good thing we are doing this for fun 'cause we have not picked well so far!)

Maria: There are just too many golf courses on Maui to do well in 3 weeks - absolutely 4 weeks is a minimum!

I'll check in tomorrow.

Margot

Last edited by Cal Walker; 08-10-2001 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2001, 08:34 PM   #22  
Net browser

Default ...dollar values

Hi Everybody
Peggy yes, I agree, it certainly seems silly to come back to our cold Canadian winter when we could be on the beach/golf course in Maui for an extra week. Lily I think you're right, the mention of extra golf might do it. Maria I checked on the internet to see how your Australian dollar was doing against the US dollar, and I see you guys are worse off then us. Our Canadian currency is pretty strong every where in the world EXCEPT against the US dollar. Your Australian dollar is worth 51 cents US and our Canadian dollar is worth 65 cents US. For both of us, Hawaii is a very costly holiday, or for that matter anywhere in the US. I guess its just that Hawaii is expensive even if you live in the US.
Talk to you all later.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:02 PM   #23  
Life Time 2001

Karen: It cooled down here to for a change! It was nice and breezy. How long will it last? I have alot of Pasty Cline CD's. I love to listen to them. Had one on tape for my car and kinda burned it out. Need to tape a new one

Maria: I would like to go to Vietnam some day. I agree it is kinda of hard to forget about the war there. But I have heard it is a really pretty place. I do have friends that fought in that war.

Peggy: Sorry to hear you are on a plateau. It will break sooner or later. How long has it been?

Margot: 115# is mighty awesome! Hope the exercise breaks your plateau to! They sure are frustrating.

Slavika: Hawaii is expensive in the US. You can get good airfares sometimes. But Hawaii itself is pretty expensive. Cant beleive what they wanted for drinks and food. But I know I will be doing it different next time!

Have a great night!
Old 08-11-2001, 09:47 PM   #24  
Member Florida Chick

Default I'm not lost!

Hi all. Still using the we, as the new computer has not arrived as yet. But everytime we have a thunderstorm wich is nearly every night, it is next to impossible to get on line.

I have finally read all the posts and you have surely been busy.

Welcome back Margot. Hawaii sounded great. especially the pampering. You'll break the plateau. Don't get discouraged.

Karen: Today in our meeting we talked about moods and how they affect our weight loss success. Interesting and thought provoking. Especially since I gaind 5# over my 6 week vacation. I've really got to get motivated.

Glenda: I bet you are enjoying 'your' baby. I am sorry to be so far away from our kids.

Geri: How is your friend?

Hi all-Trudy, Slavika, Lily, Peggy .Have a great rest of the weekend. Hope to be able to check back tomorrow. Ann
Old 08-12-2001, 03:49 PM   #25  
Net browser

Default ....hi Everybody

Yesterday we went to the lake for our friends 40th wedding anniversary. There was about 50 of us there. The couple's three son's made the arrangements for everything and did a good job. The meal was catered by a local fellow. He roasted a pig (which I understand he had started the day before) and there was cabbage rolls, perogies, cole slaw, garden salad, and baked potates. For dessert, apple pie and platters of assorted dainties. The boys had a local bakery reproduce their parent's original wedding cake except the cake was that WONDERFUL carrot cake that the bakery is famous for and the icing, although it looked like old fashioned wedding cake icing was actually a very light sort of cream cheese one. On the dessert platters there was home made Icelandic Vinarterta......it was soooo good! I might have had three pieces of that.....but they were small.
This morning I walked extra hard and a little bit longer on the treadmill. The weather has cooled off somewhat, but the sun is shinning. DH has gone golfing and will not be home until around 4:30 so I am having a lazy day.
Anne hi, I thought maybe you already had your computer but hadn't worked out how to post on it. I guess you will be getting it soon. Lily oh gosh, you're right, food and drinks are very expensive in Hawaii. The last couple of times that we have gone to Maui we have eaten in the condo more, mostly because it's easier for me to watch my points that way. Our friends are in Maui way before us and when we come they like to have us over for dinner and then we of course will have them over. The condo has big gas BBQ grills on the property so you can go down and do your BBQ there. We take a glass of wine with us and sit and chat with other people who are down there BBQ too. Some choose to eat downstairs (outside) and some take their meals back to their condo's to eat. We also bought lobster tails and king crab legs from Costco and did them up. Oh they were good.
I also wanted to mention, that we always had breakfast and quite a few of our lunches in the condo......so that cuts done on expenses too. Talk to you all later. Bye now.

Last edited by slavika; 08-12-2001 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2001, 07:34 PM   #26  
Life Time 2001

Ann: When does the new computer come? We had that same meeting about moods yesterday. Bet you cant wait til the new puter arrives!

Slavika: Thats what we are going to do next time to. Is rent a Condo so that we can eat most the meals there. The first night we were there, we were pretty tired from the travel and everything. So we went down to the Hotel Resturant. All they has was a Buffet and I almost died when they said that it was 30$. I said thats for two right? I almost walked out, but DH said dont worry about it. Felt like stuffing my purse with lots of things at that price!

Real hot here today. Been chugging the water and cant seem to get enough of it either!

Later

Last edited by LilyG; 08-12-2001 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2001, 07:54 PM   #27  

Default why not Australia..........

for your next holiday???
Slavika and Lily I am sure Hawaii is wonderful but I didn't realise that for you it is also very expensive. Australia has some wonderful golf courses. You can choose to go to the tropics or to the more temperate climates in Victoria, South Australia or Western Australia. Is the reason the airfares???
The Americans that I meet here through dh's work are having a wonderful time and cannot believe how cheap everything is. Of course the American tax system is a lot better than ours. We get charged a lot more income tax then Americans do.

I agree with you both that it is a lot better to do your own cooking for more reasons than one! Yesterday we were out to lunch and dh ordered some bruschetta for starters, some places you get one lousy little piece, this place it was just about enough for a main course. Lucky I had said 'No' to bruschetta. It is very difficult to work out the points etc. when you are out

Slavika the 40th wedding anniversary celebration sounded great. What a nice touch to make a copy of the original wedding cake.

It is a lovely sunny day here today, spring is just around the corner
The heatwaves you are all experiencing makes the news quite regularly, saw some footage of people coping with the heat in New York
Keep cool all.
Cheers
Maria
Old 08-12-2001, 09:58 PM   #28  
Net browser

Default ....Hi again

Maria for the fun of it I did check out how much air fares to Australia were and just flying coach (not up grading to first class or anything) the air fares would be almost exactly double what it now costs us to fly to Maui. Lily yes I know eating in hotels in Hawaii is very costly. I remember one time our son gave us a "coupon book" called Treasure Chest, for places in Hawaii and it was really great. You probably have those books in California too. Anyway, a lot of hotel restaurants in Maui were listed in that book so we ate in several fancy places......buy one meal get the other free. The next year we bought the book and there wasn't anywhere near the same number of restaurants listed in Maui but there was more for the other islands so we didn't buy it. Talk to you tomorrow. Night.

P.S. Maria in Canada if you are forunate or unfortunate (LOL ) enough to earn over $100,000.00 yr you pay 50% income tax. I know in the US income tax is much lower but I think it's different in each state, right you US gals?

Last edited by slavika; 08-12-2001 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2001, 12:20 AM   #29  

Slavika I also did a bit of checking, my goodness it is not cheap is it?
It is a 12 hour flight from Australia to Honolulu and one of the fares quoted was Aus$5463.90 per person
I am sure we could get a package deal a bit more reasonably but boy it is a heck of a lot of money whatever currency you are talking about.
Return flight to Toronto was even more! Again I know my brother in law did a tour to Cananda and Alaska and that was really quite reasonable and it is one tour we would love to do in time to come.

Oh well, we will keep dreaming for a little while longer but one day we will make it reality

Cheers
Maria
Old 08-13-2001, 09:34 AM   #30  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all. Still waiting.
Slavika: Your party sounded like great fun. Hard to count points. But once in a while one just has to enjoy.

My limited understanding of our tax systems is that there is a different rate of tax for different levels of income. Also some states have an income tax and some don't. Here in Fl. there is no state income tax. One of the many reasons we are here. I'd love to come to Australia, but my dh has to win the lottery first.

Our big excitement for this weekend was trading cars. We now have a 2001 Windstar van. A program car, with only 11000 miles. A very good deal.And still a two year warrantee. I like those warantees. If anything goes wrong with an auto, without one, you have to pay and arm and at least two legs for repair.

According to the weather channel eveyone is cooling off some. Are the heat waves global warming?

'See' you later. Ann
Closed Thread