Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #1  

Smile Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #72

G'day everyone,

Good to hear you had a great birthday Trudy. I can well imagine your having a practice run for her birthday.
With ds living so close, he or his wife pop in just about every day with Matilda and it is amazing how much she knows me. She now reaches out for me when she wants to be picked up and didn't want to go home yesterday afternoon! I cannot remember when my children developed their own little will but I am sure Matilda is very advanced in that department
They called around the other day to go to the beach and Matilda had the most gorgeous little bathers on with a matching hat. That photo will be a MUST for the next lot of photos I will post on her website.

The heat has eased off a bit but it is still very warm.

I saw a documentary on the history of sweets, very interesting. Part of this was the development of maple syrup and the festivals Canadians have in honour of the maple syrup. I understand the capital of Maple Syrup is Quebec. Any of those sort of festivities where you, Trudy and Slavika, are???? I love pancakes and maple syrup, I cannot quite come to having bacon and maple syrup

Hope everyone is having a great day....

Cheers
Maria
Old 01-03-2006, 11:12 PM   #2  
Life Time 2001

Trudy: Cant wait to see the Pic of MC!Angel just sounds so cute! I bet she cant wait til her birthday.
Yep Slavika was surely spoiled Id say But she deserves it!
Im pretty sure things are gonna start giving up here. Like Washer Dryer etc. Everything was brand new when we moved in and they are all 12 years old right now. Bout time. ~sigh~ Just hope they dont do it all at once

Maria: Love Pancakes. With Bacon on the side No maple syrup on them. Had Pancakes this weekend. I cant cook them so I make DH Do it. Dont know why they always come out not cooked in the Middle when I do them :

First day back at work. Was crazy. But I got caught up. Sure like having the time off! I want to retire!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:12 PM   #3  
Life Time 2001

Trudy: Cant wait to see the Pic of MC!Angel just sounds so cute! I bet she cant wait til her birthday.
Yep Slavika was surely spoiled Id say But she deserves it!
Im pretty sure things are gonna start giving up here. Like Washer Dryer etc. Everything was brand new when we moved in and they are all 12 years old right now. Bout time. ~sigh~ Just hope they dont do it all at once

Maria: Love Pancakes. With Bacon on the side No maple syrup on them. Had Pancakes this weekend. I cant cook them so I make DH Do it. Dont know why they always come out not cooked in the Middle when I do them :

First day back at work. Was crazy. But I got caught up. Sure like having the time off! I want to retire!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:07 AM   #4  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi..

Actually Maria we do have a festival here where they pour hot maple syrup on the "clean" snow, and then eat it. Festival du Voyageur, it is held in February. Quebec has the perfect temp for the Canadian Maple trees. At the end of winter, when the sap starts to run, they tap the trees and out comes the maple syrup.... delicious. I love maple syrup on my pancakes or waffles. Lily if you wait until the cakes start to bubble in the middle before you turn them over, they will be perfect. However, if your DH is doing the cooking and you can sit back and wait for these delicous cakes to appear on your plate, I wouldn't let him know the secret.

Yummy, now I want pancakes..
Old 01-04-2006, 02:00 AM   #5  

Yes that is the one they were showing, pouring it hot onto the snow.
Maple syrup (the genuine article not the synthetic version) is VERY expensive here.

For some reason pancakes is something I can cook!!!

I love pancakes with strawberries, a dusting of icing sugar and a dollop of cream
I just cannot make myself have savoury pancakes, I guess I have always had them as a sweet. I also like pancakes with a squeeze of lemon and sugar.

They really are not all that bad, it is just the dollop of cream or in Lily's case the bacon that adds up the points

Cheers
Maria
Old 01-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #6  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone..

Actually Maria the maple syrup does cost more here too. I will have to check at the grocery store next time.
Isn't it wonderful when the grandchildren are so happy to see us? That is the best! When they leave our home, cries and doesn't want to go home, it makes it hard on my DD, but I really do savor the moment. I do wish they lived closer to my home. We are going over this afternoon and staying for din dins, it is a 1/2 hour drive.
Lily I remember when I worked full time, it would seem that I just got relaxed and comfy on my vacation, and it would be time to get back to the grind. Don't miss it at all. My DH always says that he doesn't know how he ever had time to work. We find things to keep us busy.
Glenda you asked me how my is coping with the baby. Well.... she has been a bit difficult at times. Probably the reason why my DD asked us over for the afternoon. I got the impression she would like us to spend some time with her. told me "MC cries all the time, he always wants mommy." That told me volumes. I was picking the baby up and she said "be careful Grandma, don't hurt him", so I know she cares for him, she is always kissing him on the forehead too. But, he has taken some one on one time away from her. I talked to on the phone yesterday and she said "mommy put me on the naughty mat." I know she will tell me why.
I wish I could remember what the rest of you posted on the previous thread... but I can't... so Hi to Karen, Ann, Peggy and Slavika.

Bye for now..
Old 01-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all: I remember when I was growing up that we had what we called 'sugar on snow' parties and it was always important to serve saltine crackers and dill pickles with it. It cut the very sweetness, so one could eat morel My Dh loves real maple syrup on pancakes and waffles. I'm the wierd one - I like fruit yogurt on mine. The syrup is so sweet. He also likes it on his oatmeal in the a.m.

As a child, we had a small sugarbush on our farm and I remember my Mom and Dad spending hours boiling down the sap to get the syrup. Now DH has a cousin up in Vermont who keeps us supplied with the real stuff.

I'n not a real pancake lover anyway. But I do like blueberry pancakes and blueberry yogurt on them. guess there is no accounting for tastes.

Trudy: Your sounds like such a cutie. They are so much more fun when they can talk and communicate better. it is good that you are going to have some one on one time with her. Grandmas play an important role for sure, when the second baby comes along. Looking forward to the picture of MC.

There is such crazy weather all over the globe this winter. Maria in the boiling heat, the floods in California, the grass fires in Texas and Oklahoma. And all the hurricanes, Katrina, especially. Makes me wonder if God isn't trying to tell us here on earth something.

Gloria: I know what you mean about a cowlick at the back of your head. My DH calls it my 'bald spot' if I don't get it combed just right in the morning.
I just got a new perm about 2-3 wks. ago and I don't think it took very well. Everytime I shampoo, it gets straighter. I am going to go and get it looked at.

For about a month now, I have been putting up with a very tender shoulder. It has hurt to reach up, forward, back etc. I kept thinking it would go away and I used the Icy Hot patches and rub, and heating pad, and it would seem to be better and then the next day right back. So finally yesterday I went to the DR. and he gave me a shot in shoulder. But today it seems to be a lot better. he said no lifting for 2 weeks, let the shot do its stuff, and hopefully that would be it. But if not, he'd have to send me to an orthhopedist. I don't want to have to do that.

Lily: Hope going back to work is becoming better. I always felt that way after vacation. I really didn't want to face all those kids again. And like Trudy says, we sure find stuff to keep busy.

Had some friends over for din-din this week and cards. I tried a new dish and it was very good. A ham and cheese bake, with asparagus in it. there wasn't any left, so either we all were very hungry, or everyone really liked it. If anyone is interested I can post the recipe.

Sat. back to WW again and try to get back on track. I must admit that sometimes I just get tired of counting points. Maybe I should try the Core plan for a while. Have any of you tried it?

Got to quit goofing off and go take down Christmas Decorations.

Who else is a Grass Fragrance"?

See you later. Ann
Old 01-05-2006, 04:29 PM   #8  

G'day all,

Ann I have never heard of a 'sugarbush', I do remember my mother telling us that during the war they ate sugar beets.
I hope your shoulder gets better and there will be no need to see a orthopedist.
Trudy your little sounds so cute, I think you are right, she will enjoy a bit more fuss made of her by her grandparents rather then MC who is demanding all this time from her Mum.

Slavika are you packed and ready to go?

DH played golf with ds yesterday and lost his wallet He was hoping someone would have handed it in but no such luck so today he will spend his day cancelling and requesting new of all the stuff he had in his wallet.
With dh now home, I seem to have such little time to do all the stuff I want to do. It is a bit frustrating at times........

Hope you are all having a great day.
Cheers
Maria
Old 01-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #9  
Web Nana

Just a quick note to let you know the surgery is over and all went well. We were up at 4AM and were at the hospital by 6AM and he was done at 8AM.

At 9:15 the DR came out to speak to me and said all went well and he tolerated the anesthesia well...not heart problems. He repaired a very torn miniscus and said that there was extensive arthritis in his knee....bone to bone in one spot. He said if, what was done today gives DH enough relief then that will be good but in not then knee replacement would be the next thing to do.

DH is doing just fine at home now but we do have pain med for when the novacain wears off. They filled the knee with novacain before closing.

DD#2 had made a lot of arrangements through her contacts and MGH and DH had the best and nicest Anathesiologist and a fantastic nurse, male. They couldn't have been nicer and both came out to see us after the surgery.

Trudy your little sounds so cute. I am sure she will be going through lots of stages of tolerance, love and then dislike of her little brother. Then they will get to that stage when they will be best of friends.

Maria: Too bad DH lost his wallet. It is amazing how much important stuff one carries in our wallets. It is a great pain to have to replace it all.

Ann: I have had 'tender shoulder' in the past and the last time the DR said I had Bursitis. The Bursa sac was so swollen he could feel it. I had carried some heavy bundles around Boston for about half a day and had irritated the Bursa. I got a shot...I don't know what, and it was fine from then on. Good luck with your shoulder.

Well, I think I will take a nap while DH is resting and try to catch up on lost sleep.

Gloria
Old 01-07-2006, 12:56 AM   #10  
Life Time 2001

Trudy: Trust me he wont know. Actaully he does tell me that. But every time I try it doesnt work. I guess im in a hurry I dont know. Im a hurry up persoN I think. So its his turn to spoil me. Maybe thats why to Would love to retire. I know I would find alot to do. I always do when Im off

Maria: Nope Bacon does not add up the Points. I buy Ready cooked and throw in the Micro for 30 Seconds. I found a product at Cost Co 3 pieces for 2 points. Yep small But makes my day! Just need to look. Regular Bacon sure it will. I dont do Maple Syrup. Havent for years. I do fat free and Im quite happy with it to. DH does Maple Sugar. I dont like it. Im just not a sugar Person anymore. 1 Pancake 2 PTs, Syrup Fat free, 1PT (for what I put on it) Bacon 2 PT,. Nice breakfast 5 points. Just need to look around at what is available to you.

Ann I do hope the shoulder is getting better. Yes very crazy weather.
If I see rain again Im gonna cry. We had no damage, but it was sad driving to work Tuesday. So many trees down that took out fences. Just sad for the people that have to put back up again. This weather is very strange. Hope it stops. We had shingles Fly off our roof. But thats it so we were lucky.

Gloria: Such good news! Glad it all went so well. Glad DD 2 could do that!
Please keep us posted! Get some sleep Im sure it was a hard time going thru it! Prayers are being sent

Off to bed

Last edited by LilyG; 01-07-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:56 AM   #11  
Life Time 2001

Trudy: Trust me he wont know. Actaully he does tell me that. But every time I try it doesnt work. I guess im in a hurry I dont know. Im a hurry up persoN I think. So its his turn to spoil me. Maybe thats why to Would love to retire. I know I would find alot to do. I always do when Im off

Maria: Nope Bacon does not add up the Points. I buy Ready cooked and throw in the Micro for 30 Seconds. I found a product at Cost Co 3 pieces for 2 points. Yep small But makes my day! Just need to look. Regular Bacon sure it will. I dont do Maple Syrup. Havent for years. I do fat free and Im quite happy with it to. DH does Maple Sugar. I dont like it. Im just not a sugar Person anymore.

Ann I do hope the shoulder is getting better. Yes very crazy weather.
If I see rain again Im gonna cry. We had no damage, but it was sad driving to work Tuesday. So many trees down that took out fences. Just sad for the people that have to put back up again. This weather is very strange. Hope it stops. We had shingles Fly off our roof. But thats it so we were lucky.

Gloria: Such good news! Glad it all went so well. Glad DD 2 could do that!
Please keep us posted! Get some sleep Im sure it was a hard time going thru it! Prayers are being sent

Off to bed
Old 01-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #12  

Hmmm that mysterious cyber space again. I posted on the 4th but it didn't show up.

Slavika have fun in Hawaii. It will even more fun when the family comes over.

Gloria glad that dh is doing well. Hope everything works so he doesn't need a knee replacement.

Trudy how are the little angel and MC doing? I bet she is trying to be the little mother now. He is a cutie with those little round cheeks.

Ann hope your shoulder is better. Be sure to rest it. My dh had bursitis years ago and had a cortisone shot. He said the shot hurt but it helped. Your new dish must have been a hit since it was all gone. Sounds good.

Maria hope someone returns dh's wallet. That is such a pain to have to go through all the cancellations and replacements. Someone just joined a painting group that I belong to. She is from Australia. Has a nice site. Thought you might want to check it out. You being the computer guru and web designer. http://www.decorativeartaustralia.com/

Lily I can't believe all the rain that you are getting. We have been getting a lot also and are glad that it is not snow. It is sad to see trees down. Takes so long for them to grow and to be downed so quickly. That bacon sounds really good. I love bacon. Going to have to look for it.

Karen have you been doing any painting lately?

I am going to be in a bowling tournament tomorrow. I am wondering why since I haven't bowled in over a year and it is not my favorite thing to do. By the third game I will be dragging.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #13  

G'day all,

Nice to 'see' you Peggy, haven't seen you for a while. Guess it doesn't help if your posts disappear in cyberspace
That is a lovely site you posted of the Australian artist. She lives right on the other side of the country from me, a nice city with a lovely climate.
The slogan for the weather in that state of Australia is 'beautiful one day, perfect the next'

Slavika is probably at her destination now swanning about in her caftans and having cocktails overlooking the ocean I am sure they will have a superb time.

Lily
from your post it is obvious why you are at goal weight and I am not!!!! We went to a fruit and veg market today and bought a lot of fresh fruit that is in season, very cheaply. Cherries at $4.00 per kilo, they are $18.95 per kilo at my local supermarket.
The market is about 30 minutes drive and provides wholesale produce for restaurants etc. ,the general public is also welcome. I also bought some yummy mangoes and other more run of the mill fruit and veg.
Now I have to try not to eat too many of the nectarines that I also love

DH never got his wallet back, very annoying having to change and chase up replacement cards.
We also bought another computer yesterday, dh will have mine and I will use the new one which will be incredibly fast for the work that I do.
The laptop that I bought in Sydney some 4 years ago will now be used solely for when we travel and to download my photo's etc.
Lily you will relate, my new computer will have 2 gig of RAM , I have 1 gig now which has been great but still not quite enough if I work on huge projects. Since using Painter 9 and having files open in Photoshop, more RAM will be good. By the way, what a huge learning curve to get my head around Painter 9! It is an amazing program and worth perservering with.

A very hot day here today, after getting the fruit and veg early this morning, I will be staying put for the rest of the day in the comfort of my airconditioned house.

Cheers
Maria

Old 01-09-2006, 02:17 AM   #14  
Life Time 2001

Peggy: Rain Has finally stopped! Yeah. We drove down a road today that we travek quite often. It must of been under 3-4 ft water Last week. The road was sandy and the bushes were loaded with sand. Close but wont get me

Maria:Fresh fruit and Veggies. Farmers Market are the best! Just love them!
OHHHHHHHHH new puter! Sounds very Nice! I want one I hate this thing at times. But it just doesnt warrant a new PC. Maybe I can crash it LOL. Really want one Hubby does keep saying he will take mine on. But I feel bad. It was top line a few Years ago. Now it sucks to say the least. But he always gets my left overs. Feel bad. I want him to have new then me
Old 01-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #15  

Hi,

Glenda can't log on for some reason. Could one of you puter genius' send her an email and maybe you can help her.

Lily that is a lot of rain. That is all it seems do here lately or else it is just gray and depressing. At least it is sort of warm.
Closed Thread