Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 04:09 PM   #1  

Wink 50 or More Pounds #68

If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, jump on in and join us! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome!
Old 06-28-2001, 04:22 PM   #2  

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Thursday! Tomorrow's FRIDAY!!!! And I have a week off coming to me! Whoo Hoo!

Joyce - Glad the home scale is showing a loss. Keep at it now and you should have a wonderful WI this week! Casey is going to have so much fun at this adventure! You can live with *almost* anyone for 2 weeks. I do hope you can meet with Saara in August.

Saara - It won't be long now. That's s nice that your American family can go with you to get you settled in Utah. I hope you can get a single room. My dd had a roommate for 3 semesters when she was in college but after that we paid extra for her to have a room to herself. She liked it much better that way.

Jan - Thinking about you. How are you doing today? I forgot to ask if maybe the Tummy Tuck Fairy would visit you during the procedure! Wouldn't that be nice? I know you had mentioned it a while back. Hey, might as well make this surgery REALLY productive!

Carol - Have a great time this week-end. I know that you will. Try to de-stress a bit - you sure deserve some down time.

I went with my dd last night to work on her wedding registry at a local department store. What fun that was! She had this scanner gun and she points it at the bar code and it instantly puts her choice in the computer so wedding guests can access it. Ain't technology wonderful??????? She & fiance had already started the registry list and they finally managed to agree on some china and everyday ware. They will finish it up this week-end. Oh, and the invitations have been ordered and should be here in about 2 weeks. Wow, looks like this thing is really going to take place! Hard to think that four months from today, the wedding will be over. Do you guys remember when it was like 17 months away! Time has flown. I have GOT to go dress shopping for me - have been procrastinating.

Gotta go. Everyone take care. Will check with you later.

Last edited by texaslady; 06-28-2001 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2001, 06:19 PM   #3  

Hi everyone! I really should be packing right now- I'm usually so organized! I don't know what my problem is this time!
Texaslady, the kids will be using most of my furniture in the house, some of it to replace what they have. Mine's in better shape than some of theirs, even tho it isn't new, and they hate to buy brand new stuff with 2 dogs and a toddler on board! Besides, that'll save me from having to store. Then, if I move somewhere else besides Florida, one of us will buy new furniture! If I move to Floida from there, I'm already furnished and only want to take a couple of my things. I talked to Janet over the weekend- she's alive and well, but very busy at work right now- long, arduous days. Enjoy the week's vacation following the stress of tomorrow's last day!! Have fun with the crafs and helping dd with her gift registry!
Saara, yup- I'm with you! Everytime I think I really need to start getting stuff together for the move, I look at everything and say "maybe later"!!Have fun this weekend with all your friends!!
Joyce, good for you for turning the gain of last week around! I know you're looking forward to this week's weigh in!
Patti, I'm sorry to hear about your dad's troubles, but glad he did not have a major cardiac episode and that he's recovering. And that your pap was okay!!
Jan, you have been in my thoughts and prayers all week, and I hope you are recovering quickly! What a way to lose those last 7 or 8 pounds though!!
Ladies, I really must pack- my flight is so early tomorrow , and the airport is over an hour from here. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and a safe and happy 4th, and I'll "talk" to you when I get back.
Carol
Old 06-29-2001, 03:08 PM   #4  
Inchworm

Default a quiet place:(

Jan is recuperating...hope you aare doing well. Anxious to hear from you.
Carol is traveling. having a great restful time before her big move, no doubt.
texaslady in between jobs..must have mixed feelings! Getting things ready for the big day in Oct.! guess that means no time for some rest.

I'm making a small wedding cake, a replica of the original, for a friends's 25 anniv. They are celebrating at a picnic on 4th of July, should be lots of fun...she sent me a pix of the original cake.
And sending Casie off on her trip on Sunday, and that is about all I have planned HoHum not real exciting.
WI tomorrow.

Forgot to tell you, at the last meeting, someone was raving about Quakers Crunchy Corn Bran. I tried it and it is pretty good! It is good straight out of the box, as a crunchy snack, and good with milk as well, but it doesn't stay really crispy for a long time in the milk, no dawdling! It is only 1 point for 3/4 cup by itself or 2 points with 1/2 cup milk!!
ALSO...I discovered, at dgd's grad party, that Arrowhead makes *Sparkling* water , I find it quite refreshing...it comes in 16 oz bottles. Easy for me to get my water in with the carbonation!

That's all I know for now!
~~~~

JOYce
Old 06-30-2001, 09:49 AM   #5  

Smile

Hi Ladies...

Whats been going on?? Well, I have had the hardest time falling asleep this past week - the most I slept was 4 hours, but I think I finally caught up because I got home around 6 last night and fell asleep around 7 and woke up at 9 this morning - crazy!!!

I'm supposed to be going to a waterpark tomorrow so I have to go shopping for a bathing suit - which is the worst seeing i haven't worn shorts in public in a couple years... the nervousness is setting in...

Joyce That cake sounds really neat... How long does it take you to do something like that?? I have no creative abilities what so ever so jealous.....

Saara I hope Utah is what you expect... You'll probably meet all these amazing people....

Well, I better go.... I hope I can stay OP the rest of this week - I've been pretty much off program the past few days - Ugh!!!

Merri24
236/206/140
Old 06-30-2001, 12:49 PM   #6  

Good morning ladies!

I've been busy the past couple of days. I usually save my yearly doctor and dentist checkups for the summer when I am off. I've been running here and there. Spent a couple of days starting to unpack my classroom. I moved to a new room this year and now I have to unpack and arrange my new room the way I want. Lots of work! I spent yesterday with my sister in New Orleans at the library. I try to get in a little family genealogy research during the summer, too.

Right now I am sitting here at the computer wanting to put a clothespin on my nose! My dh is extracting honey from our beehive. He's doing it in the kitchen and it smells "heavenly". Makes me want to EAT!!! I know that just smelling this stuff has got to be costing me WW points!

Saara - What an exciting time for you! Hope all goes well with your visa. I've never been to Utah but is borders Arizona where I just visited. Beautiful country. I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends.

Merri - Did you find a new bathing suit? I haven't shopped for one for years. Don't think I would want to see myself in one just yet. Have fun at the waterpark!

Jan - Hope all is going well with you and you are recuperating.

Carol - Have a great time on your vacation. Rest up so you can come back with the energy to do all that packing!

Texaslady - Enjoy your time off. I know you are busy getting ready for the big day! My ds is giving his sweetheart the ring today so I now officially have a daughter-in-law-to-be! The wedding date hasn't been set yet but will probably be end of May or June next year.

JOYce - Thanks for the tip on the crunchy cereal. I am always looking for something good that is low point. I'll try it. Congrats on your weight loss! Losing what you gained the week before and then some is a great motivator! (Just keep those fingers out of the frosting bowl! )

Patti - Hope all is well with your dad. I know it must have been a scary time for you. I just got my pap done, too and now am waiting for the results. I've got to get a mammogram done in a couple of weeks (ugh!) Not expecting any problems but I just don't like having my breasts squished!

Hi to all I have missed -- Have a great OP weekend!

Beth
Old 06-30-2001, 02:35 PM   #7  
Inchworm

It's official!! I lost 6.4 pounds today, which is 2 more than I gained last week! I can't be skipping my meds any more!!

Merri, the cake will probably take me a couple of hours to get it decorated, after I bake it.

I have a MAJOR project ahead of me! The living room desperately needs new carpet and painting......dh does all the painting (he doesn't think I can do it, which is o.k. with me) all I have to do is move about 400 dolls out of there !!!
But need to get started on it, I want it done before our tip to Nawlins, because after that the holidays are upon us! guess I will designate the dining room unusable for a couple of weeks and start moving in dolls! Guess I better get with it!!

Drink that water!!
~~~~~~~~~~

JOYce
Old 06-30-2001, 06:01 PM   #8  

Hi Ladies!
Well, I made it through just fine (thanks for sending all those good wishes!) and am back home being pampered by dh. (Such a sweetie! You should see the red roses he brought me...). Glad to have the worst part over, anyway! Am doing my 4xday short walks, and go back Tues to get stitches out.

JOYce, whooee, gal, 6.4 pounds! That's some kind of record! You are being an angel on program, I'm sure. Don't forget to cook good stuff for yourself, in addition to all this wedding cake & grad party cooking! You are always doing so much for others.

Texaslady, hope you're enjoying your week off! I'll second Carol, and ask what are all the different kinds of decorations you are doing? Pew decorations? Table centerpieces? That wedding registry bar code reader sounds like fun; wish they'd had that in my day! I'm so glad her fiance is interested in picking out patterns with her; that bodes well for the future! My dh would be into that now, but he wasn't back then, in '73. And yes, the Tummy Tuck fairy did come visit, and left with 3 pounds more (in addition to the other "stuff" removed by the gynecologist.) I haven't weighed yet, but I'm betting this will put me below goal. I might even stop in at a ww meeting on my way back from the appt. Tuesday, just to weigh in and get that status started; isn't it 6 weeks you have to do maintenance before you stop paying? Hope it's not 12.

Beth, funny you should say that about the smell of honey being fattening; I've had thoughts like that cross my mind at times too! How odd! And I definitely won't be buying any of those food-scented candles, like birthday cake; I smelled one in a store recently, and it really did smell just like cake. Hope your pap results are good!

Patti, how is your father doing? I'm so sorry he's having trouble. I know how stressful that must be on all of you. Has he had his walk-in test yet?

Carol, I guess you are in Florida by now! Glad to hear that you'll be stopping by Homosassa; I know my sister will be so glad to meet you! Sounds like a good plan re: the furniture; also, that will make you feel more at home too, while it helps them out as well.

Saara, hope you get a single room! I had lots of fun roommates in my younger years, but even the best were often a distraction. But knowing you, and the wide circle of friends you have, even if you're paired up with someone less than ideal you will still make the best of it. Let us know how it turns out! And you were right re: getting in shape before surgery. My doctors said I had good muscle tone, great bp, and came through just fine. I think a lot of that had to do with losing the 80+ pounds and walking/jogging 3 miles each morning for so long.

Merri, sounds like your jet lag has finally gone away! Hope you have fun at the waterpark this weekend. You know, they make such terrific bathing suits nowadays, I'm sure you'll find one that's flattering.

Guess I'd better get back to my loafing around!! Am surrounded by magazines, paperbacks and tv, and not in much pain, so I'm determined to enjoy this recuperation and take my time about it! Hi to Janet, Rebecca, and anyone I may have missed!

Regards,
Jan
Old 06-30-2001, 10:12 PM   #9  

Evening, girls!

Jan - I am so glad to hear from you and that you are feeling like you are on the road to recovery! And I am especially glad that this surgery was good for more than the obvious! That would be so terrific if it helped you make goal! Be sure to let us know!! Your dh is such a sweet man. I KNOW that he is spoiling you - and you know what, you deserve it! You take care of him and your Dad 24/7. Let him return the favor.

Joyce - WAY TO GO WITH THAT HUGE LOSS!!! I know that makes you feel super good! I like the Quaker bran cereal also. But the first time I tried it I ate two big bowls ful. Well, that huge influx pf bran didn't exactly "agree" with me and I spent a lot of time in the bathroom the next day! So I learned to eat it with moderation! Your living room project sounds like a lot of work! You be sure and let your family help so that you don't overdo.

Patti - How is your Dad doing? I know that you are worried about him. Let us know how his next tests go.

Beth - I didn't realize that your son was getting engaged! Now you are an MOG (Mother of the Groom)! Congratulations. Is this your first child to get married? I have had so much fun with my dd's wedding plans. Since she's an only child, this is my one shot!

Merri - Sounds like your body is getting used to being back in your time zone again. How did the shopping go? I wouldn't even be able to THINK about buying a bathing suit! Its been way too many years since I wore one!

Carol - Hope you are having a great time and are able to de-stress a little!

Saara - You make sure that we don't "lose" you during this move to the States! Be sure to stay in touch. I know you are so anxious to see your American family again. How many years has it been since you were together?

Yesterday was my last day on the job. I am officially unemployed - at least for a week - since this vacation week is "without pay"! It was very sad leaving my friends - we are all crying when I left. Guess everyone thought we were crazy! But you have to move on......

I guess one of the first things I will do this next week is make dd's wedding veil. She wants to have her hair & make-up consult and the lady won't do it until the veil is finished. I also plan to start on the centerpieces. When we first started planning, I was thinking we would only need about 12 tables - then after the guest list was finalized, I realized we would need about 16 tables. The country club had originally told me that they would seat 10 guests to each 60" round table. I got to thinking that would really be kind of "elbow to elbow" so I called the club and they agreed that the tables really would probably seat only 8 people with adequate space to eat. So now we are up to about 20 tables - and I only have purchased decorating supplies for 15 tables. So it's off to the market to see if I can find more of the same cascading Wisteria I bought about 5 months ago. Don't know what I will do if I can't match what we already have! Will have to go to Plan B - and I have no clue what Plan B is!!!

We went to the church today and wrote checks for everyone - minister, organist, wedding coordinator, janitor, sound guy and church donation! Gee - these churches are making major bucks off weddings! I think all together it was about $900 - just for the privilege of using the church that both kids already belong to!!! Everyone wants a slice of the big fat wedding pie. Then we went to the mall and the kids pretty much finished their registry. They did agree on some crystal - well, actually they didn't really agree - her fiance just "gave in" on the battle (I don't think he really cared all that much one way or the other)!! He really is so easy going - which is a very good thing because my dd certainly is NOT!!!

Well I see I have written a book here tonight. Everyone have a great week-end - or at least what's left of it.
Old 07-01-2001, 12:40 AM   #10  
Inchworm

Default Hi Jan!!

so good to hear from you Jan! You sound just great!
I'm so glad that you feel so good. You will be fit as a fiddle by the time we meet in Sept.!!
Can't stay, I have to get up at 3:30 a.m. to take Casie to meet the van that will take her to her plane. so better think about going to bed.
~~~~~~~~~

JOYce
Old 07-01-2001, 02:02 AM   #11  

Default Welcome back, Jan!

Jan, it is good to hear from you again, and to hear that you are doing so well. I hope that when you WI you do make goal. Maintenance lasts six weeks, not 12. You can do it!

JOYce, congrats again on that wonderful loss. You are doing just great--keep it up!

I am now only about five pounds away from being back at goal because I have been staying OP faithfully. Still not back to exercising. My treadmill awaits patiently....

Happy Sunday to all.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:37 AM   #12  

Hi everyone!

Just a quick post... I'm taking the train to Halsinki this morning. I'll visit my Dad shortly, we have to take care of some money matters at his bank. He just got back from vacation in Dublin, Ireland. I'll also visit a few friends who now live in Helsinki, but I have to come back tonight since I'm working tomorrow.

Joyce, congrats on the huge loss!!!

Jan, I'm happy to hear everything went fine.

Texaslady, re: my american family. It was year 1992-93 when I spent the whole year there, but have been back 3 times for a visit. Last time was for Christmas 98. So about 2 1/2 yrs since I've seen them. Won't be long now, though...

well, I'd better go so I won't miss my train. 'Talk' to you all later! Have a great Monday! Saara.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:51 AM   #13  

Morning, girls! Here I sit at my "home" computer. My mind is on vacation, unfortunately my body got up at 5:30 this am - as usual. I tried to go back to sleep but my overeager neighbor started cutting his lawn about 6:00 - so I just gave up and got up!

Linda - That's wonderful you are doing so well to getting back toward your goal. I KNEW you could do it!

Saara - Have fun with your Dad. Let us hear from you when you get back. It's hard for me to imagine that it's so perectly normal for you to take a train for transportation. That's just not the way it is here, as you know. Not many passenger trains left - not much demand, I guess.

Joyce - Did Casey get off OK - Wow, 3;30 am comes really early! Hope you get a chance to take a nap today!

Jan - How are you feeling today? Don't overdo now.

Well, as soon as I get myself dressed I will be out the door in search of some more tulle. I am determined to make dd's veil today but since she can't really make up her mind how "poofy" she wants it, I guess I will make two veils - each with different "poofy-ness" (is that a word?). She also doesn't want to wear a blusher over her face during the ceremony but does like the look of a double veil from behind - so I need to make one like that too! Wonder what I will do with all the ones she doesn't like????? Good thing tulle is cheap! Once she decides on the look she wants, I can add the pearls and crystals to the netting. The hardest thing so far has been trying to measure and cut the tulle - it sure is slippery stuff and so hard to see if you are cutting a straight line. I finally got smart and slid a piece of white posterboard under the tulle so I could see what the heck I was doing! It also helped to "pin" the tulle to the board to keep it from "escaping"!

Have a good day everyone. Will check in again later.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:32 AM   #14  

Good morning ladies!

I had my WI yesterday. I lost only .4 lbs. At least it wasn't a gain. I have had the "munchies" all week and have gone over points just about every day. It is also TOM. Got to get myself back on track. We are leaving for Houston on Friday to visit our ds and future dil. DS is also trying to lose weight - he's doing Adkins.

Texaslady - It's good that you have some time off to get the wedding stuff done. Reminds me of my wedding. I made my own dress and also two of the bridesmaid's dresses. I did lots of lace and beadwork. It was fun but a lot of work!

Jan and Linda Jean - Hearing you talk about being at or close to goal gets me fired up! I am determined to get there myself this time!!! I have joined and quit WW more times than I'd like to mention. I just have to do it this time!

Hi to everyone else - Have a great OP day!

Beth

Old 07-03-2001, 12:08 PM   #15  

Hi Texaslady! Were you able to find the extra table decorations? Are you getting them at Garden Ridge? Maybe if they're out, they could call their other stores to check; would be glad to pick stuff up here in SA and send to you, if they locate it here. I'll bet the veil will be lovely; you're so talented! Re: that yard guy, seems like he's done this 6 a.m. mowing before; doesn't he have any consideration? Maybe you can find out when he goes to bed, and mow your lawn about 30 min. after that, right below his window. (Ew, I'm an awful person....)

Saara, thanks; hope you enjoyed your visit to Helsinki today! Your Dad takes such interesting trips; I'd love to see Dublin (or any part of Ireland) some day. What's his favorite vacation spot? Are you finding clothes for your trip right now?

Linda, you have made quick progress back toward goal; wow, only five pounds away! Thanks for the info on maint. Not sure if I'll have the energy to go to a mtg after my appointment, but will give it a shot. I miss my morning walks; somehow toddling up and down the hall just doesn't feel the same! But I'm like you, not fond of treadmills.

JOYce, I guess Casie got off okay on her trip; boy, was that early! Did you get in a little nap later on?

Carol, am hoping you are having a lot of fun down in Florida, and that the storms didn't go on all weekend. (When I talked to my ds Saturday, it was very rainy.) She said she would be on the lookout for you at the children's museum; hope y'all were able to connect.

Beth, .4 pounds is great! That's the way to do it, a moderate loss each week; it's more likely to stay off permanently that way, in the long run. You keep at it!

Am still taking it easy and letting dh wait on me. He's getting very creative with the cooking; made a couscous, spring greens, and salmon salad for lunch yesterday, and tacos for dinner. Am trying to stay at lower end of points while recovering, as I'm getting so little exercise. And lots of water, to try to make the water retention and swelling go down. Am heading to the doctor today, hopefully to get the drains out.

Hi to everyone; hope you have a great Tuesday!
Regards,
Jan
Closed Thread