Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 08:37 AM   #31  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Sandy,
Yes, it is my sister Kathie who lost her daughter JoAnne 19 months ago; she lives in Arkansas, so we're about 11 hours away. She has 5 other daughters who all live here in the Chicago area. Bubba, the niece I'm close with, drove down to Arkansas yesterday to spend a week with her mom.
For some reason they did not begin her chemo on Friday; something about doing scans, which had not yet been done. I hope to speak with her today to find out what's going on.
All we can do is pray. When I speak with Kath I am shocked to hear how normal she sounds. I am inspired by her grace and courage. I have been very weepy, but she doesn't know that, and never will.
I hope Mike is doing a bit better. After the shock wears off, perhaps he'll be able to relax and enjoy this unexpected "vacation". It's good that you recognize his need for a breather in between jobs.
Very cool about Greg's score on the history exam. It's hard to believe he'll be starting college. Will he stay involved with theatre?
Our garden is not suffering from the heat; this year's drought is more of a concern. We water very well and very often am not looking forward to the next water bill. Joe built raised beds a couple of years ago, so the garden is nice looking and less backbreaking for him to maintain. We've had cherry tomatoes, peas and cucumbers so far. We should have peppers and tomatoes soon.
Thank you, Sandy, for your prayers and kindness.

Zoe,
The important thing is that you are trying. We all are rooting for you. Good going on the new resolve, you can do this.

Es,
Hope that each day your hand is a bit better. It does take a while.

Have a good Sunday.
~Jen
Old 07-24-2005, 05:50 PM   #32  

Jen,
I pray your sister gets better. How much can one family take?
Great losses too. Congrats.

Sandy,
I am so sorry about Mike's job. Keep us posted.

We came back a day early because we found out a good friend of ours died suddenly from a heart attack. She was only 43 years old and left 2 boys, 19 and 16. She was a NASA engineer and worked with Bruce. She was about 5’10” and was very thin but health conscience. She wasn’t one to eat bad things because she could. She had no indication of a bad heart or anything. That is the scary part. We came home for her funeral.
Then 1 day after we got back from Ohio my mom had to be rushed to the hospital and her left side went numb. They discovered a mass on the base of her brain. They could not do a MRI because she has a pacemaker so they did CAT SCANS and then sent her to Morgantown W.Va. My sister is with her. They will do a biopsy this week and see where they will go from there. This has been a terrible 60 hours.
She is talking well but she is on steroids to stop swelling in the brain and they have to wait until all the blood thinners are out of her system to do anything.
Please keep her in your prayers. She just had such a rough 2.5 years with my dad before he died and now this.
Today is our 23rd anniversary and we had tickets to the Grand Ole' Oprey but we didn't feel like going so they were gracious enough to take the price off the credit card for us. They were very understanding. We will go out to dinner tonight. We sent pizza to the nurses desk on my mom's floor. My sister said they are so sweet. I will fly up (unless something goes very bad)
after the kids are back in school and the the registrations and everything are done.
Missed y’all.
Terri
Old 07-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #33  

Hi Terri,

I will echo your thought, how much can one family take?
I am so sorry to hear that you are also in the midst of a crisis. Sometimes at our stage of life it feels like there is hardly a pause in between.
The loss of your friend is a tragedy at such a young age. Know that I will keep your mom and family in my prayers too.

Take care of yourself, we are here for you too.

Hugs,
Sandy
Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 PM   #34  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Terri,
Stay positive. Your Mom and all of you are in my prayers. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Sometimes it's difficult to understand what life tosses us.
love,
Jen
Old 07-26-2005, 09:37 AM   #35  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

Good morning friends:

There seems to be so much sadness going on right now. I feel for all of you going through these crises with your family members.

Jen - I'm sorry to hear about your sister's illness. How difficult it must be for all of you to go through this again after your niece's illness. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Terri - I can only say I'm sorry to hear about your mom being ill - also so soon after your dad's passing. The passing of your friend at such a young age must be such a shock. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as well.

Sandy - I'm sorry to hear about Mike's job and hope he finds something quickly. I know some companies do give training to their employees when they are forced to downsize. I hope they are able to help Mike.

Es, amiga - How is your hand? How is it being back at work? I hope you continue to have less pain and stress each day.

ZoeGirl - Hang in there - you'll be back on track soon. Your leader sounds like a keeper!

I've been busy at work and at home. We are planning Willie's 60th (holy Moly!) birthday party. We were going to have it at home, but we would have had to cut people from the list and we didn't want to do that. So, we found a small hall, sort of like a VFW hall - it holds 120 people and its a nice, bright, clean, cheery room with a bar and a kitchen, etc. We will have a dj and Justin and a few of his friends will play as well. That was one of Willie's biggest wishes, for Justin to play live at his birthday party His birthday is August 13th which falls on a saturday, so that worked out well. Anyway, I've been busy with the invitations (I made them myself) and the planning for food, decorations, etc. My son Steven will come in from Florida for the party as well - I wasn't sure he could make it but he's making a special effort - he thinks of willie as his Dad and said he wouldn't miss such an important occasion. In fact, his birthday gift to Willie, besides his presence, is to pay for the hall, which is very generous. Darren and the other kids are all chipping in for the D.J., so we're very lucky. It should be great fun.

Weight wise I'm not doing too great - but I will get back on track and when that happens, look out! I usually come back with a vengence

Well, I've gotta get back to work. My love, thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Hi to everyone I've not mentioned. I feel I haven't been here in so long, I'm not sure who all is still with us but hi to Lj, Leeann, Ruthie and anyone else I missed.

Hugs,
Dianne

Last edited by dpadro; 07-26-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #36  

Thanks Jen, Sandy and Dianne,
We are still waiting. If only she could take the MRI. It would be much simpler. They may do the biopsy tomorrow. We are waiting for the results of
the Petscan. I think that is how you spell it. It tells if there are cancer cells that are active in the body. The insurances won't pay for this because it is new and it is $3300. My sister will have to fight for them to pay for it. The technicians have to , by law, tell the patient about the insurance and they have to sign a paper saying they will pay it right before they go in the machine (have to stay in there an hour). Can you imagine her thoughts while she is in there? That stinks. It isn't a luxury test. They said she needs it. My sister's MIL fought her insurance when they wouldn't pay hers and she won. So hopefully. My brother said he will pay it if they won't. Can't tell my mom though.

Thanks for all of your prayers.

Dianne,
That is so cool about Willie's party. I know you will all have a great time.

TTYL,
Terri
Old 07-26-2005, 07:12 PM   #37  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Terri,
Thinking of you and your Mom. What a hassle about health care, when it's the patient who suffers. It's a shame that it has to be that way. I'm hoping that they can give a positive prognosis.

Dianne,
What an awesome celebration for Willie that you'll have! It makes so much more sense to have it outside the home. You can all get down and party
And, yes, it was good to hear from you

Stayed home from work today...called in sick...but just really needed a "mental health" day.

We have our annual Family Picnic this Saturday. I've been working on a family cookbook that my Aunt Ginny has been talking about for years. I realized that this should come to fruition before any more years go by. I contacted my cousins, etc., and collected 68 recipes. I've printed a fairly simple book in a binder to give her on Saturday. It's a surprise for her, I can't wait to see her reaction.

Our heat wave has ended...and we've had rain for the last two hours! No more drought?

Spoke with Kathie today. She sounds great; enjoying her visit with Bubba and the girls. Is waiting to hear from the dr. She has no ins., so it will all be covered by Medicaid. When she presented the dr's. office with her card, they postpoined the chemo and said the scans were necessary. I'm wondering if it's the same scan Terri's Mom just had? and now they know they can collect the $$? I know that sounds jaded, but can't help it.

HI Es! (how's your hand?) Zoe, Ruth, LJ, Leeann, JANIE WHERE ARE YOU?

~Jen
Old 07-26-2005, 08:24 PM   #38  

Hi all,
They got the results of the scan and there were no cancer cells or tumors detected. The mass is either a blood clot or anuerism. She had a stroke. They did an angiogram today and they will decide treatment and then she will need physical therapy. Her left side was damaged. She is happy about there being no cancer but she wants her mobility back. She is scared about that. She is also scared it willl happen again.

Jen,
Glad some relief is in the air. We will get relief Thursday, hopefully.

TTYL,
Terri
Old 07-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #39  

Hi Everyone,

Terri, That must be a relief to find out that your mom is not ill with cancer. It seems as if that is the first thing that we all imagined. However, I bet she is very frustated at the loss of mobility. I can understand her fears of another event, all we can do sometimes is say another prayer. My aunt had a stroke last summer and is still having therapy, most of her abilities came back except for some weakness on one side and a little loss of fine motor skills. The sooner your mom can start the therapy, the more that comes back.

Jen, We are still in the middle of a heat wave, it is supposed to break tonight. We haven't had a drop of rain since July 8th, so I am watering my garden regularly. I am starting to work on a family cookbook too. I took out my card file and gathered all of the most stained cards (recipes my mom typed for me when I first moved out on my own) and then I input them to Mastercook. I brought my mom a disk last week, I figured we could continue to collect everyone's favorites to create our own cookbook.

Dianne, it is good to see you back, I was hoping that you were just away on vacation, but I could not remember. That is so cool that you will have a big celebration for Willie's birthday! Especially with all the family and friends getting together. Will you fill the place to capacity?

Thanks for the good wishes and prayers for Mike to find a new job. He seems to be treating it as a vacation for the time being, because he has the severance pay. I have applied for a permanent position at one of my database client's offices. I am concerned about not having health benefits when the severance runs out. The other factor that I am trying not to think about is that I would not even earn half of what Mike was making, but I don't want to pressure him to go back into the same thing (software development) if he wants to do something else. Two of our in-laws went back to school to become teachers, we could get by with that if both of us work.

Hi Es, Zoe, Leann, L.J. and any of our MIA's

Sandy

Last edited by Sandancy; 07-27-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:36 PM   #40  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Terri,
A good friend of mine has helped me through difficult times with a phrase she is fond of... "A life lived in fear is a life half-lived."
While it may sound simplistic, it has helped me tremendously.
We have to forge ahead and hope for the best.
I know it must be difficult for your Mom; I hope she can focus on the positive and regaining her mobility. Medicine has made great strides in rehabilitating stroke patients. Does she live alone? I've forgotten, sorry.

Where has the summer gone???? I know I lose the month of June due to the busy madness at work, but it seems way to early for it to be August next week!
Looking forward to the picnic on Saturday; our kids, as well as my niece and her kids, come back here afterward to swim and spend the night. I love the traditions we've established. They bring a sense of normalcy when I feel things are spinning out of my control.
I can't wait to give the cookbook to my aunt. It turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.

HI ES, DIANNE,SANDY, ZOE, RUTHIE, LJ, LEEANN!!!!!!!

Yesterday at work I was surprised with an award for Exceptional Service; our office was nominated by our supervisor for going above and beyond during our busy season. The village mgr., along with other officials, came in with balloons, certificates and pizzas to celebrate with us. Needless to say, it made a particularily difficult week even worse, in terms of staying OP. I'm keeping my that I can pop in for a weigh in tomorrow and have a maintain!

~Jen
Old 07-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #41  

Jen,
CONGRATS on the award. That is awesome! Traditions are wonderful.
I just hate when there are MAJOR changes. I am not good with them.
I was just so happy to have my mom relaxing to the point where we could go a little. We got to go to 2 lunches since my dad died. Doesn't seem fair. She does live alone with my brother next door but she will be in Bellaire Hospital in rehab and then she will most likely go to my sister's in Columbus if she still needs help. I'll send stuff. My sister doesn't have kids and she works in the office that is connected to her home. Works out great. I know my mom though. She loves her home. She loves her independence. It will be a struggle emotionally as well.
Thanks so much for the saying. It is comforting.
Good luck at weigh in.

Sandy,
I hope everything works out with Mike and your benefits etc... Keep us posted.
My mom starts rehab tomorrow. She can move her left side a tiny bit.

I am starting to relax a little more now. I hate when that phone rings late.
The kids are ready for school, physically at least, not emotionally.
They start Aug. 8th.

TTYL,
Terri
Old 07-30-2005, 10:45 AM   #42  

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to take a break and visit with my buddies. I hope the summer weather is being good to everyone as time whizzes along.

Terri, I am keeping your mom and family in my thoughts, hope she is improving each day. It seems amazing that school starts so soon, here in New England we usually start the Wednesday after Labor Day. We have to bring Greg to move in day at school on the Sunday of that weekend.

Jen, Keep us posted about your sister too. I was glad to hear that you took that mental health day last week. I think we all need to pay attention to when we need those breaks so we can keep going. Congrats on the award at work. I am sure that you are amazing with all of the residents/customers and their quirks. That pizza celebration was just a blip in the WW plan, we all have those! Enjoy your family cookout today.

Es and Zoe, Where are you? I know it hasn't been long but I miss seeing you here.

Dianne, I bet you are really busy with planning the bash for Willie. Aug 13th is coming up fast!

We will be really busy with friend and family stuff today. Mike and I are going to a wedding at noon. A friend of mine since 1987, who is a widow, is getting remarried today. It should be a really special celebration. Later today we are going to Mike's brother's house for a family cookout and to meet our new niece. They are adopting a 14 year old girl. It seems like quite a gift and a challenge for them to do this.
Yesterday I worked a full day in Boston and when I got home Mike suggested we drive out to the beach for fried clams I couldn't resist, but we got a salad as a side instead of the usual fries. The clam stand we go to is on a causeway, so with water on both sides it was really refreshing to watch the sunset over the water.
I got up early today to make a peach and blueberry cake to bring to the cookout. Needless to say my WW efforts are slacking for the moment, but I am really motivated to get back on track. I have been wearing some white summer slacks that had been in a box in the attic for 10 years, and I don't want my slacking to send my slacks back into the box.

Much Love and a big to the whole gang,
Sandy
Old 07-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #43  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well and had a great week. I'm so happy to see this weekend arrive!

Well, I went to WW today and I lost 2 lbs!! I was SO good, SO 100% but my scale wasn't moving much. When I got there, I figured I would have lost half a pound or so ~ so when she said 2 lbs, I was floored! And happy! I'm finally back!!!!!!!! I'm once again, close to my 10% which I hope to make next week, only 1.2 lbs so I just know I can do that.

Yes, my leader is wonderful. She is so energetic and positive, a big help to everyone in the meeting. I've been blessed to have become closer to her than just having a member/leader relationship with her so that's even more of a plus, a help.

Terri ~ I'm so sorry that I never addressed you until now. My thoughts and prayers are with your mom, you and your family. I hope she is improving with each passing day. Also, I'm so sorry about your friend that worked with Bruce. So young.......Hope you can have a Happy Anniversary.

Sandy ~ Have fun at the wedding. How wonderful that she has found love again. And congrats on the good choice of a salad instead of fries. Every little change like that, that we make, is a help. Hope Mike's job search is going well.

Jen ~ Congratulations on your award! What a wonderful surprise to come to work and find. I am praying that your sister is doing better.

Dianne ~ How you doin' kiddo?!?! Hope your birthday party plans are going well. Greg turns 60 (Holy Moly is right!!) next June and I'm already trying to think of the BIG SURPRISE party I'm going to have. I'll take any pointers you can throw my way.

Es ~ How's your hand doing? Come say hi if you can.

HI to our MIA's......come back

Talk to you's all later, maybe Monday. Have a wonderfully blessed weekend

ME <><
Old 08-01-2005, 07:41 AM   #44  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Zoe,
Congrats on the good loss! You are sooo close to your 10%, that's very cool. It's nice that you have such a good relationship with your leader...talk about support!

Sandy,
The waterfrong setting you described sounded beautiful. Way to go on those white slacks!

Terri,
It's good that your Mom has the option of staying with your sister. Having your brother next door will bring you peace of mind, knowing she's not alone. I hope she's doing better, and will progress in her recovery.

We had a wonderful weekend. The picnic was great; Aunt Ginny LOVED the cookbook, as did the rest of the family. The boys spent the night, we swam yesterday, and went then out to dinner at Sweet Tomatoes with our kids. Have been off program, today is a new day.

~Jen
Old 08-03-2005, 05:13 PM   #45  

Wow, this is a slow time of year I guess. So much to do.
I have been staying uplate watching my Big Brother feed Bruce go signed on for me. It is fun.
My mom's attitude sucks but they are trying to improve that. She started rehab yesterday.

Zoe,
Congrats on the loss. Love when things turn around.

Jen,
I am so glad you guys had a great picnic. That is what I miss about living around family. There are a lot of plusses not to though I will want to when my kids get married I am sure. What kind of restaurant is Sweet Tomatoes? Is it a chain or a local place?

Sandy,
The water description sounds wonderful. How is Mike doing?
That is great that your friend found love again. What kind of wedding did she have?

We went to Carrabas for our Anniversary. We didn't want to do anything real fancy because of my mom and not knowing then and on the way over Bruce asked what we did for his birthday cause he couldn't remeber anything special
he was drawing a blank and I was like "I can't rememeber either." Then it hit me. We did nothing because my dad had just died. Bruce is scared for another milestone to come up.
We are almost ready for school. New shoes and backpacks and we are set.

Hi to everyone.

Luv y'all,
Terri
Closed Thread