Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:19 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #51

G'day everyone,

Saturday morning and I have a million and one things that I should be doing but instead I will do the important thing first and start a new thread
I am pretty hopeless when I am on my own, I tend not to do anything in any order.
Our new 'whiz-bang' computer was sent back to where it came from whilst we are in Adelaide. DH has now picked it up and he tells me it is working a treat and that there was a problem with the RAM which has now been fixed Hopefully I will start using it when I get back to Sydney.

Glenda please 'ramble' on any time you like, you are usually right on the money. I never heard of the saying but I think you are right about daughters and sons. I hope you had a nice time with your friends this weekend, sounds good.

Ann Gaylord Palms sounds like the place everyone should experience at least once. How very posh.

Lovely to 'see' you Trudy, haven't seen you post for a bit.
I am with you, 8 times a week vigorous excercise is all a bit too much for me. I did see that particular show and I think good for you Oprah but it all seems too extreme for me. I have to say that she has been looking fantastic.

Lily all seems a bit odd the email problems you are having. My virus scanner has stopped a couple of virus's on my computer this week and I have hardly been on the net I have done all the scans etc. etc. and all seems to be well. DH had the same problem with his work computer, it is unusal for him as he uses his work network which seems to have heaps of firewalls to prevent this sort of thing to happen.
Good luck with rectifying your problems.

Slavika I have not been able to open quite a few of the attachments you have sent with emails. I know the reason is that I am accessing my emails remotely, I should be back to normal next week.
Hope your dh's progress is going according to plan.

Hi to Karen, Peggy, Gloria, BJ3 This is always a tricky thing to do, I hope I did not forget anyone.

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers,
Maria
Old 05-14-2005, 07:43 AM   #2  

Slavika, I finally remembered to check my other Email so I finally did see the picture if DIL and The princess. Your right they are beautiful. When did you say they would be in Florida? Or did you? It would be great fun to be a dancer I think.

Maria, Sons and daughters can be so different. You wouldn't think they were raised by the same person. Although I have to admit my youngest son or the Good Son as he calls himself never forgets to say thank you and is always after the kids to do the same. Same with his wife. They are keepers I think.

Yesterday was the first day in a week that I did not get a migraine . I wonder if it could have been hormones? Guess I need to keep track better . Thank goodness for Imitrex.

I made a loaf of Lemon Bread yesterday. Mmmmmmm.This was first time I made it. I replaced the sugar with splenda and it tasted just fine.

Need to color my hair today and I also need a hair cut. The color I will do not the cut.

I'm going to get one more cup of coffee before I dig in for the day. I have 3 projects going right now , I've got the sleeves to finish on a baby sweater I started a baby afghan yesterday and have a box I'm painting for my Mom. Don't think I'll get anything done but it is good to be busy doing things I like Right!

Karen
Old 05-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #3  
Web Nana

Another rainy weekend....this makes 4 in a row. Well, since I can't work outside I guess I will just play on the computer.

The daughter and sons debate is so true. However, in my case, 3 daughters and 1 son I find that they are all very different from each other. Even the 3 girls are nothing alike, One is calm and quiet, another very strong and outgoing and the third is both strong and scatterbrained. DS is unlike anyone in the family. He is his own person and does things quite differently. An example many years ago he sent his, then 18 yr old, sister a birthday gift....RED HIGH TOP SNEAKERS, a big hit, not. One year I got a CD of "Ultra-Lounge" songs, it had a leopard suede cover. I also think, because he is so far away, NC, that our relationship is different. The girls, even though they are close by, we try not to interfere in their everyday life. I am one who believes that once the kids are grown, married etc. they can live their own lives and, although we are here if they need us and we do babysit alot, they know we give them their space.

Maria: Glad the computer difficulties have been solved. Now when you are not doing remote you should be all set.

Ann: Gaylord Palms....how elegant!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Gloria
Old 05-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #4  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Its free Internet email address. Its thier problem I can login but then it times out. I just need to look for a new one. Hopefully Tomorrow.

Gloria: Its been raining alot here to. I dont think we will have Spring or Summer for that Matter.

Karen: All your crafts sound so cute. That Painted box your mom will love!

Its a decent day here for a change so we are headed out for a drive and lunch. Gonna be a relax day for a change!

Last edited by LilyG; 05-15-2005 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:31 PM   #5  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
I read all the posts on the last thread but of course now I forget who said what
KAREN......I get migraine headaches too and use Imitrex. I was doing really well for the last month but last night I had to take a pill and again just a short while ago. Miserable suckers aren't they? I have kept journals over the years as to what I ate, my stress level, weather, etc. and I still don't have any idea why I get them. I sure am thankful that we have a drug like Imitrex now. The dance team will be in Florida July 20 - 22nd. Son and grandson are also going to fly out to see them and they are trying to talk us into going as well, if DH isn't having some sort of treatment then. We'll see. My family will stay a couple of extra days so that the kids can see a little of Disneyworld again.
We sure don't have a very nice day today.....in fact tonight the temperature will be only 3 above. I have a cough that is driving me crazy. I think I have had it for 3 months now, so it is DH turn to get after me to see the doctor. It was just a little tickle in my throat now and again, but now when I start to cough, I feel like I am never going to stop.
I will call my doctor, but I am not sure what he can do for me. I don't have fever or anything like that and I already have a prescription for Flonase. Everytime I go to complain to somebody about my cough they say, "ohhh I knowwww"
because they have it too. hee hee
Our visit to the radiation/oncologist, Dr. Doom and Gloom yesterday went very well. He said that DH is doing well and that he is strong and not in any pain and he is hopeful that his cancer will go into remission. He said that we likely will not see him again unless something comes up in the future where DH oncologist's might want him too. On Tuesday DH will have the bone marrow biopsy (and that will be sent to the Mayo Clinic for analysis) and the following Tuesday we will see the oncologist in charge of the Bone Marrow Transplants and find out what his plan is for DH. We understand he may need a 4th session of chemo but we
don't know for sure yet.
GLORIA.......on the son and daughter debate, we were very lucky that our son chose such a sweet gal. We first met her when she was only 15 years old, with legs that started at her arm pits and at that time she was very much into competitive dance.....and very good at it. Last Thursday was their 15th Wedding Anniversary. We love her like she was our very own.
GLENDA.....I hope you had a great weekend with your friends. It strange, I can talk to TRUDY every day, email her 5 times a day, and still have plenty to talk about when I see her.
MARIA....I have sent you a picture in the mail to see if you can send it to the gals for me or send it to me and I'll send it to them. It's not that great because it's one I scanned.
LILY......I hope you soon get your email situation fixed up and I took your old addy out of my address book. Drop by when you can, because I would miss you.
Hi BJ and Ann. Ann I loved all those silly names. I wonder who came up with them. Well gals I will say good bye for now. Love Poopsi Gizzard Squirt.

Last edited by slavika; 05-14-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:58 AM   #6  
Life Time 2001

Old 05-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #7  

G'day all,

It is a holiday Monday here in South Australia, dh is in Sydney and misses out on it
The last few days we have turned just about EVERYTHING up side down, both our passports are missing
I know we can be a bit forgetful but we always are very careful with our passports. We cannot understand it and now have to apply for new passports and all the rigmerole that goes along with that

Little Matilda has not been the perfect baby the last few days....both son and his wife are very tired. Hopefully they will spend this holiday monday quitely and catch up on some sleep but knowing them that is probably an impossibility for them. As d-i-l is not allowed to go for runs yet, they thought they would go for a long walk with their very fancy pram.
It is very hard to keep my mouth zipped, Matilda is carted here there and everywhere, perhaps I am oldfashioned but I think babies like a bit of a routine...like sleep in their own bed etc.

Slavika good to hear your 'dr. gloom and doom' was pleased with your dh's progress. The holiday in Maui is looking good if he continues like this.
On the son/daughter thing, we have known our d-i-l since she was about 12, she lived around the corner and was friends with our dd.
She is a lovely girl but very focused on her sport and that is what I cannot relate to. I guess that is what it takes to be successful and achieve playing at the highest level
It was a lovely photo of your d-i-l and all the lil' ones.
It would be good if you and your dh could travel to Florida to attend the concert.
Your weather sounds sooooo cold! We are just about starting winter and we still have incredibly warm days, I have had the heater on once!
My bulbs are coming up, they must think it is spring.
The drought is becoming very serious almost throughout Australia, we just have not had rain

Gloria you son sounds interesting, not sure what 'ultra lounge' songs are but the leapard skin cd cover gives me a bit of a clue
I guess the bottom line is that you want your children to be happy. Thank goodness both my children are very happy

Karen I don't get migraines, they must be awful to have. I was on the 'Pill' for a very long time and did get really bad headaches, once I stopped with the pill, I have not had them since other then the occasional one after a bit too much red wine the night before
Maybe it is hormone related. I have incredible allergies and like Slavika I have journaled to see if there is some sort of pattern as to why it so much worse than other times. There is NO pattern and I think I just have to put up with it.

I must be off and start getting my stuff together for my trip back to Sydney on Saturday....

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 05-15-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #8  
Fun Blonde

Crusty Applenose here, just wanted you all to know about my fabulous weekend. My two friends came up Friday afternoon and left Sunday afternooon. I was ready for them to leave because we were all so exhausted from LAUGHING! We ate out and had Margaritas which helped a bit, but we just sat at my kitchen table and talked and talked and laughed and laughed. We went shopping and walking across the parking lot, I thought one restaurant was going to keep us from coming in because we were laughing so hard. These are the only people in the world I have this much fun with. We all decided we made great choices in mates because they take such good care of us. You know, when you have known someone's mother, family, boyfriends, teachers, enemies, husbands, children, etc forever, you share such a history. These are two people we can just be ourselves with, absolutely no pretense at all. Anyway, just had a lovely weekend, but again ate so much I do not feel well at all today. Today is the first day of a new life for me! Vegetables and water added! Chocolate cake deleted!
Glenda
Old 05-17-2005, 08:07 PM   #9  
Member Florida Chick

Glenda: Sounds like a wonderful time. Now I don't have any really close friends nearby, so have made new ones here in the park and we do have a great time. There are 6 of us that go our to lunch once a month. We refer to it as the 'ladies monthly' and we are usually quite rowdy, but so far no one has kicked us out of the restaurants. We go to a different one each month, and then start the list over again.

Slavika: So glad to hear that Dr. Doom and Gloom was not so gloomy this time. You both must feel very encouraged. I pray that the bone marrow test will show, that something can be done along those lines with a transplant. have you all been tested to be a compatible donor, or is it to soon to do that?

Maria: I always have to remind myself that we have just opposite seasons. Your winter - our summer. Finally our weather has warmed up and today I went to the pool. The first time since before I had my surgery. It was such a cold winter, and I just wasn't motivated.

I had two DD's and the one has a lovely spouse. The youngest one divorced her spouse the louse. So she didn't make such a good choice. Of course, now he has done an about face, and that is a bit frustrating to DD. Asking, why couldn't he have done that when they were married.

Yesterday DH had his iron infusion, still has 2 more to go and then the evaluation to see if things are holding steady. Sure hope so. I know he really doesn't want to do this for the rest of his life, but there is that possibility. Then we went to Sam's Club and spent a bit more than I had planned. I guess that is what always happens when you go to place like that or Costco. Since we don't go that often.

Well- Thursday 3 of us are going back to WW. I know it is going to be a shock for sure. But it has to be done.

Hi everyone- Trudy, Karen, Peggy, Gloria, BJ3

'See' you. Flippy Apple biscuits other wise known as Ann

P.S. I don't know who thought of the goofy names, but I have had a lot of great laughs from them
Old 05-19-2005, 07:37 AM   #10  

Everyone must be busy and I'm the only one who has to stay home. Is that why no ones been around this week?

Here it is Thursday and I wonder where the week has gone. I've said this before but time sure does go by fast after you retire. I've considered getting a job to see if maybe time will slow down.

My Dad has the last of his chemo for this go round today. I know that he did get a little weak in the knees last week. But no real sick, sick. Then he is off for 3 weeks and starts again. in the mean time he will see his doctor and get the blood test to see if the chemo has began to do its job.

Have to go find a new harness for Sprout. The one we have now is a pain where a pill can't reach! That is the mission for the day. This one, has one strap that is not attached and when we are getting him ready to go out he gets so excited that it makes it very hard to snap him in.

Hope everyone is having a great time. And your weather is great. See you later.
Karen
Old 05-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #11  
Fun Blonde

Karen, "A pain where a pill can't reach." I have never heard that, but I will remember it. I have the opportunity to use that saying very often unfortunately. Enjoy your days without a job. Believe me, with or without, time is going fast. So, we are the only ones who are having time to post this week. I am here at work and there is not much to do. When you work for a university, and school is out and summer is starting, there just is not much to do, but try to "look" busy. I hate that. But who wants to take vacation when it is easy at work????

Ann, I know it is best to make that step back to WW. I know it, but I haven't been back for awhile. After my crazy weekend with my girls, I have not wanted to eat anything, have been a little sick. I have heard from them and they both said they are trainwrecks, but just getting better. We aren't used to that much eating, laughing and drinking. Anyway, I am on WW, very, very strictly. It isn't hard now. I have done this so often, but the real hunger hasn't started yet. Then I will need the support of WW. Has your DD ever thought about reconciling with her spouse now that he is nice? Just wondering...

Hello to the rest of you. Maria and Peggy, are you enjoying being new grandmas so much you don't have time to post?
Glenda
Old 05-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #12  
Member Florida Chick

Well we did it and went back to WW. The new flex-points is interesting. I had to buy a new book for points as my old one was falling apart. It is very different, and in studying it, find some changes in points values. I promised myself that I wouldn't obsess with the program, just follow it to the best of my ability. I think I will do the points, as I think I might just eat too much on the Core. It is so similar to South Beach Phase 2 and I know it bacame a problem for me. I guess the problem is what is 'eat until you are satisfied'. What is 'satisfied?' Our meeting is early, so we went for a very sensible breakfast afterwards. So I'll let you know how I am succeeding.

Glenda: My DD may have thought of it, but now he has a ladyfriend, so right now that is not an option. I think she is pretty much satisfied with her life now, except she would like to find a life partner to grow old with. And it is hard when you don't want to frequent bars, etc, and right now she is not going to church. I keep telling her she might meet someone there. but she is not ready for that.

Karen: Sprout must be filling out some too, so a new harness would be in order. We couldn't keep a harness on our Cuddles, so we used a collar and leash. She could wiggle out of them like a contortionist. Of course she wasn't started with one as a puppy. She was 1 year old when we got her. Still miss her.

We have been doing a Bible study, and the lesson for this week is on Self Control. It couldn't have come at a better time for me. : I know that is so much a part of any food plan.

I don't know if any of you have a problem with spam in your email, but I downloaded a free spam blocker, and it is doing a great job. I just had to learn to go to a bulk mail folder to get the newsletters I subscribe to. If any of you are interested, I will email you the address.

Tonight is choir practice. It gets so discouraging, since we should have a large number of people, according to the size of our church, but people just don't want to commit to a weekly practice. I think we will take the summer off and then start again. So after July 4th, we'll have a little vacation.

Hi everyone Slavika, Trudy, Peggy, Maria, Gloria, BJ3. Hope everyone is doing well. 'See' you tomorrow, I think. Zippy Ann
Old 05-19-2005, 07:29 PM   #13  
Super Surfer

Wink bye bye everyone..

I am not saying good-bye forever, just for 5 days . We are going on a little trip to the USA tomorrow. It is our Victoria Day long weekend and my DH hates to be at home for this one. We are going into North Dakota and Minnesota, the usual shopping and casino trip we periodically do. I am not in the mood for this little jaunt as I haven't been feeling well for some time now. I have come by to read, but when I am feeling rotten it is hard to sit here and write. My DH has informed me that it will do me good and I will feel much better if we get away. We shall see about that. My doctor thinks that it isn't only GERD giving me grief, perhaps I have ulcers or stones or who know what. I see a specialist in June. He is away right now so when he comes back his recptionist is finding me a spot. I could have had an appointment with another Gastroentrologist, but he has seen me before and I didn't want to start up with another doctor... so I wait. In the meantime I have some Nexium. I have lost weight and, believe it or not, I am struggling not to lose anymore. When you are sick, you lose muscle and get so boney.

GREAT NEWS...... my DD is expecting another baby. We have been over the moon since we found out on Monday. This is really something to look forward to. Our little said she wants a brother and a sister. Last week she was pretending she was a puppy. She would clench a ball in her mouth and crawl around the floor. Mommy explained to her that she is a person not a puppy.... so now, when anyone talks to her, she tells them that she is a person, and mommy and daddy and grandma & grandpa persons too...and only Jessie is a puppy. she always makes me smile.

Well, I must go put some things in a suitcase. Have a nice weekend everyone, I will see you next week.... bye bye..
Old 05-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #14  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Congrats again Trudy to you and your family with a soon to be playmate for your sweet angel
DH bone marrow biopsy went well on Tuesday and our Son once again came along for moral support for his Dad. I held DH hand and Son, kept saying encouraging things, like, "you're doing well, just hang in there, it's almost done". I do think it helped. The sample of the marrow was being sent to Mayo Clinic to analysis (the cost of that is $1500.00) fortunately we don't have pay that bill. The results are likely at the oncologists office now but he is away until June 1st. We had an appt to see him to discuss the results and DH options on May 24th and that was cancelled. DH requested someone else call him. If we don't hear anything tomorrow morning I'll phone them. I saw my doctor on Tuesday afternoon about my cough and my doctor was not pleased that I waited so longto come in. He gave me antibiotics and sent me for a chest x-ray.
There goes my phone....talk to you all later.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #15  

Trudy, I was so excited for you when I read about the new baby on the way. I know you are thrilled!!!!! Hope you have fun on your tip inspite of the stomach problems. You must try to eat. You need your strength to play the slots and shop,shop,shop!

Slavika. I knew yor doctor would not be happy with you. You have got to take care of yourself. If you get down sick then everyone will be in trouble. Praying for a good result on the bone marrow biopsy.

Ann maybe it is good to take a summer break for the choir. Sometimes we get too busy. Now you will have time to focus on your weight loss. Way to go going back to meetings.

Karen
Closed Thread