Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 11:47 AM   #1  

If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, jump on in and join us! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome!
Old 05-24-2001, 05:26 AM   #2  

Good morning ladies!!! Only one more day till TGIF!!
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers- you don't know how much I appreciate it!! My apointment isn't till 6:30 this evening, so I'll be even more nervous all day! Staying op has been very rough lately. Then tomorrow is the "consult" visit for the start of the epidural steroid injections for my back- after a delay of almost 3 weeks thanks to my HMO. (don't get me started on them). But one way or the other, I'm taking a minvacation to Floriday from 6/29-7/4. I've got my airline tickets, and I need to get to my place. So, whatever medical nonsense I'm in the middle of will have to work around it!!
Liz, I hope the much deserved day off was restful!! It's nice of you to volunteer to work the holiday, but don't forget to take some time for yourself occasionally! I learned that one the hard way while I was working 2, sometimes 3 jobs, 7 days a week until last November. The body eventually reminds you that you aren't 20 years old or superwoman after a while!!
Texaslady, what are you planning for your 3 day weekend off? I'l bet it has something to due with "dd's new house 101"!!
Patti, graduation sounds wonderful, and I'm glad his dad behaved himself. It's too bad about how your stepdaughter acted- I think you did the right thing, though. Some battles just aren't worth fighting- it would have just made the day tough for you to be there under those circumstances.
Jan, I envy you your fresh tomatoes. I'm scouting for on the road produce stands now- usually we start seeing some around Memorial Day. I love fresh veggies- nothing like them!
Hi to Janet, Saara, Rebecca, Stamps, Joyce and anyone I missed. Have a good Thursday, everyone.
Carol
Old 05-24-2001, 01:33 PM   #3  

Hi everyone! Sorry to be AWOL for so long, but things have been so hectic. I'm the kind of person who needs the weekend to regroup for the next week, and I haven't had that lately. It seems like we never slow down. There have been a flurry of graduation activities the last couple of weeks, but that is about to wind down. DD's boyfriend's graduation was Tuesday night and DD's is Sunday. A friend that I used to work with was sitting behind me at Tim's graduation. The friend asked me what I was doing there and I told him that my daughter's boyfriend was graduating and Tim's mother said "oh, just tell them that it is your son...Tim loves you and spends as much time with you and he does me." It was pretty emotional, but I think it will help prepare me for Sunday. I have such mixed emotions, but right now I'm just ready for everything to settle down a bit. I have already started doing things with my friends so it won't be such an adjustment when I'm home alone. Last weekend I went to a party Saturday night that I normally would have skipped, and ended up having a great time. DD insisted that I go. Then Sunday I went to Jubilee Jam...a three-day music festival. Sunday afternoon was the only time I could go and I had missed most of the bands that I really wanted to see. I intended to just skip the festival this year, but a friend called and asked me to go with her to hear the O'Jays. Do y'all remember them?? We had a blast. It was very cool and breezy and the music was great. I was right in the middle of the crowd...dancing away. DD couldn't believe that I actually danced. I was just having a good time and didn't care what anybody thought. Boy have I come a long way.

Carol, you have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since our phone conversation. I have good feelings about this, and I have faith that everything will be fine. Since my mother also had breast cancer and I also have "spots" that they are monitoring, I think I know a little about how you are feeling. It's scary I know, but you have lots and lots of good vibes coming your way. Like Texaslady said, I really believe in the power of prayer.

Patti, I'm glad that you got that handsome son of yours graduated. It seems like just yesterday that mine was a tiny baby. Does it feel that way to you too? I'm sorry that your DH's daughter snubbed you like that. I know I don't know all the facts and don't know anything about the girl's mom, but I know that I would never have let my daughter leave her step-mother's name off the invitation. I would have insisted that she include you. My ex-husband and I were together for twenty years, and it was difficult for me to include his new wife at first. Of course, the fact that she was named in my divorce papers didn't help matters much. However, I knew that she was going to be a part of my child's life and I feel like you can never have enough people loving your children. I'm thankful that she has been a good step-mother to my daughter. I remember a time when my DD and I were riding in the car and she asked me if it hurt my feelings to know that she liked her step-mother. Those words cut me like a knife. I knew then that I had to be very careful about what I said and did. I have made sure that she knows that I'm happy that she has a loving relationship with her dad's new wife. Your DH's ex-wife may have passed away or may not even be in the picture, but I'm just wondering if maybe some of his daughter's attitude isn't coming from her mom or other people. After all, I think you said that y'all just celebrated your 5th (?) anniversay. I would think that she would have accepted things by now, especially since you have a son her age. My ex and his wife have a five year old son, and I can't tell you how it warms my heart to see how much my DD loves that little boy and vice-versa. He adores his big sister. We get him often and take him places with us. I know it confuses him because he isn't quite sure how I fit into the picture. He knows that I'm DD's mom, but I know he is bound to have questions running through that little inquisitive mind of his. Whew...sorry...I didn't mean to get so carried away.

About the perimenapause...I'm going through it too. I'm 47 and it started several years ago. The only bad thing is never knowing when something is about to happen. I still get all the symptoms every month, but most of the time now nothing happens...which suits me just fine.

Jan, New Orleans sounds wonderful. However, that is my birthday weekend and I usually go to the lodge with all my friends. It's kind of a tradition, although some years we have to do it a week or two early or late...so there is always hope. New Orleans is so close to me, and I would hate to miss an opportunity to see you and your DH again and to meet JOYce and Patti.

Texaslady, I can't wait to see pics of your DD's house. It sounds so cute! Congratulations to your SIL on his graduation. Everything is just falling right into place for them. You and Carol and I (and anyone else who can't make the first trip) will just have to plan another New Orleans excursion after the first of next year. Of course, hopefully we will still be having our annual get-together but maybe we can plan an extra one.

Saara, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Utah. I've never been there, but that would be so exciting to be there for the winter olympics. I love watching them on tv and really wanted to attend the games when they were in Atlanta, but things didn't work out. I haven't forgotten about the No Pudge mix either. Finances have been really tight with all these graduation expenses, but I hope to send you the package next month.

Liz, I hope things are slowing down a bit for you too. I thought about you this week. I've had an entire construction crew working outside my office. I've been checking them out on a regular basis!

JOYce, I agree with some of the others about the mudbugs...yuk!! We have crawfish boils around here all the time, but that is one thing that I have never even been tempted to try. You are going to love New Orleans!!

Hi to everyone that I missed. I was just trying to squeeze a post in during lunch so that y'all would know that I was still here. Unfortunately, now it's time to get back to work! Have a great OP week!

Janet (Kudzu)
Old 05-24-2001, 01:44 PM   #4  

WAIT...I'm NOT 47...I'm 46!!!! What was I thinking???? When you are my age, every year counts!
Old 05-24-2001, 02:30 PM   #5  

Carol, have been thinking about you often today. I feel sure everything will go well this evening; like Janet, I just have a feeling that it's going to be ok.

Janet, wow, have you been busy! I think it's so wonderful that you enjoyed dancing at that concert; you're right, it's a sign of how your self-image is changing. Terrific! I sure wish you could join us in New Orleans, but I do remember last year when you told us about your trip to the lodge. Wasn't there something about a circle of log chairs, with everybody in her own special place? Anyway, if it works out for you to be there, that would be great, but I can certainly understand how important a tradition like that is!

Looks like dh and I are *finally* managing to get a trip in to Laredo again! Just for one night, this weekend, but I am *so* looking forward to it. I don't even care if it gets over 100 degrees (as it has several times already this month). We're going to swim, walk a lot and explore the town a bit more, and shop. It's hard to concentrate on work for thinking about it; guess I'd better get back to it!

Hope everyone has a great weekend planned. Janet, I know you do, with graduation on Sunday. And Texaslady, you have a day off, are you going to be at your dd's new house working again?

Hi to Rebecca, JOYce, Saara, Liz, Patti, and Stamps!

Regards,
Jan
Old 05-24-2001, 07:56 PM   #6  
Inchworm

Whew!! it has been HOT in So Calif!!
I'm sure it was over 100 yesterday, because coming home from the doctor yesterday, I passed 2 different thermometers that said 95, and that was at 4:30!!
I'm toughing it out, and not using the AC yet. (although, I do use the ceiling fans)
I got a good report from the doc.

Janet! be careful, those years creep up pretty fast! Especially when you are distracted with all the activities!

Seems strange that you are all, almost finished with your graduations, and dgd's is still a couple of weeks away....he boyfriend's mother is planning a party at their home for her son and our dgd. I will help with some of the food and make a cake. I want to get frosting copies of their grad pix to use on the cake...I hope it turns out like I have pictured.

Carol, I'm anxious to hear from you! but guess it takes a couple of days to get those results.
Patience has never been a virtue that I claim.
Isn't it great that so many of us believe in the power of prayer!!

Nothing real big for me this weekend... I decided against a big get together for dh's bday, he will be at Casie's soccer tournament all day Saturday. We will go out to dinner tomorrow night with Linda, and her dh.

I'm going back to WW on Saturday a.m., I haven't been since I got sick in April...HMMM? I need to think this thru,...
If I wait another week, I will be able to restart, without making up missed meetings. hmmmm, maybe I'll just go and ask.

bye for now..
~~~~~~~~~

Joyce

Last edited by gmalil; 05-24-2001 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:08 PM   #7  

Default Been Awhile!!!

Hello all!!!

It has been such a long time since I've been on this thread - the 3fc's did a good job in updating the site.... Although I think you guys definitely motivated me because I haven't been as motivated as I was when I was on here regularly so I decided to come back... how has everyone been?? I have pretty much stayed the same since I was on here... Please help me to get back on track (Question of the day how to stay motivated??) I also seem to get bored with my lunches I've been eating the same thing pretty much all week... Ok enough blabbling.... Nice to be back.....

Merri
236/209/140

Last edited by merri24; 05-25-2001 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2001, 12:10 PM   #8  

Hi Everyone,

Well, I got a phone call I didn't want to get at work yesterday......"Mom, I'm okay but I had a wreck!!"

Yep, DS got in his first accident.....no injuries, thank God. The gentleman that he hit was very nice and even said that there was no way my son could have avoided it. It seems that my son had just changed lanes behind the guy and the man said that two cars in front of him someone slammed on their brakes causing a chain reaction and almost caused him to hit the car in front of him! DS just didn't have enough time. He wasn't going fast and there probably wouldn't have been much damage if only the guy hadn't had a HUGE trailer hitch on the back of his truck!!!! My son's car looks awful...he was so heartbroken. When I got to the accident he was just sitting there staring at his car (of course he had his new prized possession - his camera - right there with him). I told him not to worry about it that we would handle it and that I was just very grateful that no one was injured and that the man seemed very nice. His truck (poor guy) was brand new - still had the license in the window - but it only had a little damage to the bumper. The only bad thing is that we only have liability insurance on my son's car. He could no way afford collision. So the man's damage will be taken care of but we will have to pay for DS's. Oh well, if it had to happen, now is the best time, because remember, I was just saying we no longer have to pay school notes or child support so we'll be able to get it fixed but it might take awhile to pay it off, but if this had happened a few months ago....it would have been a real strain. God always knows what he is doing. I strongly believe everything happens the way it does for a reason.

Well, I just wanted to let y'all know. And I also wanted to check to see if Carol had checked in. Still praying for you girl!!! I'll check back later. Thanks for letting me vent ladies!!!

Patti
Old 05-25-2001, 01:00 PM   #9  

Hi everyone! TGIF!! Are you all looking forward to the long weekend?
Well, my news was so-so. The area is most definitely abnormal and "suspicious", he (the radiologist) said, but not "high level suspicious". If it weren't for my mom's dying of breast cancer so young, he might go with "watching" it for a couple months. But with that family history, he thinks I should get a biopsy done now. So, it's off to the surgeon. I have an appointment for the consult with him on May 31st. And my first epidural steroid injection for the back and leg nonsense is June first- I had the preliminary consult on that this morning. That doesn't sound like those will be any big deal, other than requiring me to be off my feet for 24 hours afterwards- I just have to work in the biopsy between those injections somewhere. My stress level is off the scale right now. It's not an easy time for me- one of the times I hate the solitude of my life. Oh well- this too shall pass. Thanks to all of you for the thoughts and prayers- they mean a lot.
Merri, well, welcome back, girl!! Where you been hiding?? We had given up on hearing from you again! Tell the members of our group that haven't met you before a little about yourself! Congrats on your 27 pound total loss!
Janet, enjoy your dd's graduation on Sunday- and pack some Kleenex!! What a nice compliment Tim's mother paid you!! It must have made you feel really good. Sounds like you've been having fun lately with your friends! That's great- you are lucky to have so many friends to rally around you to keep you from being lonely! Treasure them- friends like that are hard to find!! I remember the OJays!
Jan, have fun in Loredo this weekend!! Will you all eat in the same place as when we were visiting? It was delicious! Enjoy your shopping, you slim thing!!!
Joyce, you are one tough lady!! NO way I would be able to survive 100 degree temps without my air conditioning! Enjoy your dh's birthday dinner, and give my best to Linda!
Patti, I am so glad your ds wasn't hurt!!! That, as you said, is the main thing! Metal can be fixed! It sounds like he handled himself very responsibly with it too, so you must be proud of him for that. The poor boy probably feels awful- kids seem to view their cars like they are their babies!
Saara, Liz, Rebecca, Texaslady & Stamps, hi, and I hope you all are having a good Friday.

My weekend should be quiet- both by doctors' orders and by my stress level! I didn't have any plans anyway, so I'm figuring on vegetating a lot, coloring my hair and avoiding babysitting so I can keep the lifting to a minimum as much as possible. Hopefully I can get o see my little sweetie without being totally in charge of him for a prolonged time, if you know what I mean.

Take care, everyone. Have a great weekend.
Carol
Old 05-25-2001, 01:42 PM   #10  
50+ pound loser

Hello Everyone!

Just a quick note to say Hi and let you all know that I am still lurking around! Been a little disappointed lately with this whole weight loss thing. Had a horrible week and felt like a failure. Have since realized that life is a journey with all kinds of twists, turns, bumps and scrapes, so I will just keep venturing forward and soon I will be at my goal.

Carol- My thoughts and prayers are with you. Make sure you get that rest like the Doctor said, okay? Take care!

Patti- So sorry about your DS. I am so glad that he wasn't hurt.

But all, I better get going. Have to go get some more stuff done before the weekend begins. You all have a great Memorial Day Weekend and keep op!!

Rebecca
Old 05-25-2001, 02:29 PM   #11  

Carol, sure wish I could be up there with you during all this; will be sending good thoughts your way, though, as well as prayers. (JOYce is right, there definitely is something to that!) I'm glad that the radiologist didn't think it was "highly" suspicious; at least that's something. I hope you're able to rest this weekend and have some time to relax. Re: Laredo, yep, we'll probably go to Victoria's again; it's one of our favorite places. I'll just have to watch what I order, though!

Merri, welcome back! Good to hear from you. Re: motivation, I think you've hit on one problem, getting bored with the same thing. How about trying a few new recipes from here or the WW site? I think there's a thread in Food and Points about favorite lunches, too. Or you could try those frozen ww dinners, lean cuisine, or Healthy Choice, maybe?

Patti, my goodness, thank heavens your ds is all right! Sorry you'll be out that expense, of course, but I agree with Carol, the important thing is that he's all right. It sounds like he handled the situation really well, too.

JOYce, congrats on going back to WW tomorrow! As far as I know, you can rejoin at any time by either paying just the joining fee (not the back meetings) or buying one of those cards or special deals that include the joining fee. Hope the weather doesn't keep heating up out there! Are y'all experiencing any brownouts in your area when the temp shoots up?

Rebecca, you're so right, there are all kinds of twists and turns on this road; you'll get there, in spite of an occasional bad week! It's the permanent lifestyle changes you're making that will make all the difference, and lead you to goal. Keep on keeping on!

Guess I'd better run; am taking off a bit early to head for the border! Hi to Saara, Janet, stamps, and Texaslady; hope all is well!

Regards,
Jan
Old 05-25-2001, 04:02 PM   #12  

Hi guys....

ok Janet... for those of you who don't know me or remember here is a little bit about myself.... I am 25 years old live in the lovely state of Massachusetts . I have been overweight all my life. I have always tried losing weight: WW, Jenny Craig, Diet Center, and even did the Redux thing for a little while... Last year I did the WW at work program and absolutely loved it - but then I left that job and lost all the support I was getting and that's where I found these lovely ladies . I am hoping I can get motivated like I once was and finally get rid of the fat I have all over this nasty body!!!

Merri
236/209/140
Old 05-25-2001, 05:16 PM   #13  

Carol - (((((((hugs)))))) Like the others, I wish I were geographically closer to you so I could give you a real hug - but virtual hugs will have to do for now. I am glad that your radiologist is taking active steps and not "watching" it for a while. I am still praying though that everything will work out OK. Those back injections sure sound bad enough to ME - but I know its all relative. You have certainly had more than your share of adversity these past weeks. Please stay home and get some rest this week-end and TRY not to lift that sweet baby!! I will be thinking about you and, of course, sending up those prayers.

Jan - Glad you are getting to go back to Laredo. I definitely want to do that again someday - but we need to spend more than a few hours there. Then I could spend some SERIOUS money! Are you staying at that lovely hotel we saw just at the border? Sounds wonderful! Have a good time. And watch out for those rear-end collisions on the bridge!

Merri - So glad to have you back on the boards again. Do you still spend a lot of time at the gym? I always envied your determination to continue your work-outs. Lunches aren't much of a problem for me - fact is, I don't usually care what I eat as long as I do. It helps that we have a kitchen here in the office and I always stay in for lunch. If I go out to run errands, I am tempted to purchase something gooey and wonderful. But I usually just have a sandwich or a frozen WW/Lean Cuisine meal - depending on the day and my mood. If I cooked more at home, I could bring leftovers, but its hard to cook for just one.

Patti - Sorry about the accident. So glad your son is OK. I know he was upset about his "baby" being wrecked. I am glad no one else was hurt either - its a life lesson, that's for sure.

Janet - You are going to be a mess at Kristin's graduation!!!! You better take LOTS of tissues! That was a sweet thing for Tim's Mom to say - I know that you don't always see eye to eye with her. And hey, if we can't make the NO trip this year, we will go another time!!! I figure NO is about halfway between me and you---------a good meeting point. And, if it makes you feel any better, I have to stop and remember how old I am too - just another symptom of "CRS"! Actually, I just stopped counting after I hit 50!

Rebecca - Please stay around!! We miss you when you don't post. We have all had those kinds of weeks - I certainly have had more than my share. I haven't lost much at all these past few months but I am not gaining either. And I have really changed my eating habits. I do things automatically now that I would never have done before WW. That in itself is real progress for me. You have done so well and have lost so consistently - don't beat yourself up about bad days or weeks. You know how to be successful, and we know you will be.

Joyce - I am glad to hear the doctor gave you a thumbs-up! Your weather has been hotter than ours! Boy, that's a real first! Sounds like Melissa will have lots of fun at graduation and parties. Tell her to enjoy it - it will pass so quickly and pretty soon she will be a "grown-up in the real world" - and that's not nearly as much fun! What are her plans after highschool?

Well girls, I hope you all have a wonderful week-end. I don't have much planned. I will indeed be helping at dd's house. They are in the process of moving what they can into the house now and will hire Movers to come get the heavy stuff next week. It's always a challenge to find a "new spot" for everything. Still have a couple curtins to finish, too. I will take some pictures and post them - someday!
Old 05-25-2001, 05:58 PM   #14  

Hi Ladies,

Carol - Sending lots of positive vibes your way....I know it is stressful but try to stay positive, it really does help! I'll continue to pray for you. Try to relax and enjoy your weekend.

Janet - Yes, bring lots of kleenex. I cried before, during and after DS's graduation. He went to an all boys school and they all looked so grown up - trying to be "cool" you know while they each walked up to get their diplomas, but as soon as the last boy had gone back to his seat and they were all standing together - the whole audience just started cheering and then the little boys came out in them and they were cheering and high-5 ing each other and grinning from ear to ear. They were very proud. The alma mater really did me in - they sing it so strong with all those male voices....but then again I cried everytime I heard the alma mater - even at the football games. You will love every minute of it.

Jan - have a great weekend. Sounds like alot of fun!!

TexasLady - I can't wait to see pictures of your DD's house. I think our house hunting will have to wait until we figure out how much the car repairs will be.

No word yet on the estimate for the car. So DS will be getting Mom-rides for awhile. I don't really know what we are doing this weekend, maybe we'll barbeque. Going to eat out tonigh with my sister and her family to celebrate my neice's awards that she received at school. She is only 11 and scored a "20" on the college ACT!!! Well, I skipped WW this week because of graduation on Monday, but I will go back next Monday. I don't think I lost anything. If I get by without gaining I will be happy. I have eaten out alot this last week, but I enjoyed it and still didn't eat like I used to. You know, your only child graduates from high school only once.

Hello to everyone and have a great weekend.

Take care,
Patti
Old 05-26-2001, 05:42 AM   #15  

TGIW!!

Oh, Carol, I will be thinking of you everyday. I am also glad that the radiologist is being agressive. Since the ultrasound can only tell if it is a cyst or not they always like to biopsy. When it is all over and we are all laughing and crying with you, we'll share "biopsy stories". Till then, just think of everyday as a group hug from all of us.

Merri: Nice to meet you. I am 47 (and I AM counting correctly) in that no where land between marriage and divorce (still trying to figure out how to get back in the dating thing, ya know, the whole self esteem thing). I did just relocate back to New Jersey from MA. (Watertown). And I agree with you, I love these bunch of ladies. Made me feel so welcome, are always being so supportive, offer great advice...I had better stop before I start to cry.

Jan: Laredo! That sounds great! Is it still real "western"?
If it is not,don't let me know cause I would hate to spoil my "mental picture" of it. But have a great time and enjoy that heat. It has been cold and dreary here for a week.

Rebecca: I like that, life is a journey. I will try to remember that when I get discouraged with everything that is happening.

Patti: Thank heavens noone was hurt. My philosophy has always been that metal can always be fixed or replaced. But the emotions of causing injuries is always with you.

Janet: Could you snag one of those construction guys for me? I swear, I am hormonal or something. There is this guy in the gym (have I told you guys about him) He is not cute but for some reason I have this crush on him. I feel like a 14 year old when he is near me. My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth, I start to shake, my mind goes blank. I can't get the nerve even to say hello. Part of me doesn't even want to in case he is married with children (don't want the fantasy to end) And the biggest part of me has this self esteme problem. There is this other guy who is a real dog in heat thing and has been hitting on every woman in the place, of course, except for me. Doesn't do much for my self image. Sigh!

Hi to everyone else. If the rain ever stops I will be doing a lot of yard work this weekend. But if not...the mall!

Liz
Closed Thread