Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #1  

Default WW Feisty & Sexy 50-60 yr old #31

G'day all,

Slavika yes it is a big screen and I just love it, I remember when you got yours how thrilled you were. The main reason I wanted a big screen was because of the work/hobby I do with photo restorations etc.
I enjoyed reading about your plans for presents for your grandchildren. They are going to be feeling very grown-up with the special luggage!

Glenda I cannot believe the similarities in our lives. Yes I also have one 'friend' in particular that I have been friends with for over 30 years and even named my daughter after her. Things began to change as dh and myself became more succesfull in our lives. Since we moved to our present house I have seen her once. Her dh mows my lawns and he is very chatty. If I am home I always have a chat to him and ask how is wife is, his answer always is that she is very busy. They seem to be living seperate lives. I am also a bit tired of the 'one way' street and when I think back over the years, it has always really been a bit that way...disappointing but alas....

I was telling my sister about my dd and she got very emotional and said that something had bothered her for a long time, she said that she was just so angry that I should get cancer and now when she looks back she realises she did not give me much support. Funny how people close to you react in such different ways to big events in our lives.

We are voting tomorrow and the elections are over again for another 4 years. I get so sick of all the rubbish politicians sprout be nice to see a news service not dominated by politics.

Have a great weekend all,
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 10-07-2004 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:58 PM   #2  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Everyone:
I guess I have finally got my brain together, coming to terms with impending surgery. It is amazing to me and also very humbling, to learn of so many friends who have been down the same road, being there for support. I got a great blessing and prayers at our church Wed. eve. and that is very uplifting too.

Yesterday I had a ct.scan, and had to drink just gobs of that awful chalky stuff. Some the night before and then more the morning of the test. That goop is the worst part of the whole thing.

My DH has to go see his Dr. on Monday - the appt. that was rescheduled from the difficulties with H. Jeanne. We have joked a bit about maybe we will share the same room, if he has to hav surgery on his back to remove the cyst. I do hope that can just be our little joke.

Slavika: your grandkids will love their 'grown-up luggage'. Kids want to be adults so darn fast, and then when they get there they wish they had their carefree kid years back. Glad you lost you 1#. I have kept saying I want to lose weight, but I would never have chosen the method that is coming up to do it.:

Trudy: Hope your neck pain haas gone away.

Maria: Your new monitor sounds great. Is it the flat screen? Ours is 17" and we like it a lot. My two daughters are older now, than your dd was when she got the word about your cancer. So they are being supportive, and both want to come down here to help, or to be here when I have the surgery. And for them it would mean giving up some of their income to make the trip. So I have to wait and see just what the schedule will be. We have so many friends here in the park, and we have a big extended family at our church, so we are having lots of loving support.

Peggy: I bet you are happy that you finally made the decision to stay in your home and sell the other house. I just got my hair cut and a curly perm. I told her I wanted it short and curly. I was tired of the straight look. So that is what I got. All my lady friends say they like it a lot, but DH's first comment when I got home was to tell me he didn't like it as it looked like I had on a wig.

Glenda: I can understand your feeling about the one way street with some friends. Always waiting for you to call them. It does make you wonder just who is the friend. I found in one instance, my not calling anymore, finally brought her around, and in another instance when I stopped calling, that was the end of it all. You just have to do what makes you feel good, I think

Lily: What is happening in California? Were you anywhere involved with the most recent quakes that made our news? Hope not. The weather across the country has been so strange.

Karen: I forgot to ask you if you have had a lot of problem with too much water in your park. We are fine here, but there are some places in our area that are having big time trouble. Some friends of ours had to evacuate their home since the sewage treatment plant and connecting lines were compromised by flood water, and they won't be able to get into their houses until the water goes down. I'm sure glad we are nearly at the end of hurricane season this year. Other years I must admit, I never even thought that much about it, but we have had our brains well impressed with the idea of storms now.

Slavika: Don't give up on Florida. The weather is really beautiful here most of the time, and this year was just a fluke.

I'll be keeping you all posted as to what is happening. Ann
Old 10-08-2004, 03:31 PM   #3  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone

It is a gorgeous day today. As soon as I post I am going outside with a cup of mocha coffee..
Today my DH and I cut the top off our Tie plant and will re-root it again. It was so huge, touching the ceiling and into the drapes and end table lamps, just too big for our living room. Now the spot looks so empty.
Karen I sent everyone an article on Cholesterol, but yours keeps on coming back to me. I am sure I have your correct addy.
Ann I have the tests done quite regularly and I agree that the goop is the worst. Hard to get down without gagging. When is the surgery? Your postive attitude is the best thing you can do for yourself. We, of course, will all be sending all the best vibes we can, and keeping you in our prayers. You are so lucky it was caught early.
Maria how did the vote go? Do you have a new Prime Minister? We have a minority government as a result of our last election and we could be back at the polls any time soon. I just hate politics.
Glenda you would think that friendships would get easier over the decades. When you have been friends with someone for a long time, all the petty jealousy should be long gone.

Off to my lounge chair...
Old 10-08-2004, 11:12 PM   #4  

G'day everyone,

Ann good to see your post and pleased that you are getting your brain around your current health problem.
Interesting you also have 'friends' like Glenda and myself have experienced. I guess if the truth is known we must all have similar experiences.

Trudy voting was early this morning. I will be surprised if there is going to a change in government.

Just as I now am beautifully set up with my new screen, garden looking great, summer around the corner...dh received a phone call last night and it looks like they want him to continue on with some other project after this current one finishes. At the moment he is commuting to Sydney each week but with the new project we will have to again live in a serviced apartment for the duration
I guess the positive is that we remain in Australia and hopefully I can fly back from time to time.
Perhaps this will finally give me the opportunity of doing my daughters scrap book that she has been asking for.

Off to an aunt of dh's 85th birthday.

Cheers
Maria
Old 10-09-2004, 12:57 AM   #5  
Life Time 2001

Maria: She shut it off as she was very upset. The word Cancer to almost anyone means death. Its not true nowadays. I do beleive she is going into it now for the same reason. She doesnt remeber but really she does and wants to help where she can. Just my thoughts.
Wow new Monitor! Cool! Mine is only 17" And I love it. I go from work to here and it a big difference. Only have a 15 at work and I hate it!

Glenda: Its so hard to let go of Best friends. I had one since High School. Even when I moved away we would call on a weekly basis. Then it quit. I grew, she grew, we Out grew each other. Im thinking of her now writting this. I cant give you any advise I lost my best friend. I think we just grow out of each other. Its Hard thats for sure.

Slavika: Same here! A week ago I was wearing my Sweater as I was soooooooo Cold. Did this for a week. Now Air is back on as Im roasting. Oh my god! Princess will love that luggage I can just picture her puling it. LOL! She will be grown up to have this luggge. Pull it thru the Airport like it to. To cute!
This will be you. I dont know this child
Been very crazy at work. Hate it

Ann Love you! I will help in any way I can. Feel free to email me. You are in my thoughts.

Last edited by LilyG; 10-09-2004 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:52 AM   #6  

Hi all,

I didn't even get to the computer yesterday as were busy all day and then last night we went to the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Theater to see "Songs My Mother Taught Me: A Tribute to Judy Garland" By her daughter Lorna Luft. I was great! The Florida orchestra played all the music and they were wonderful. She played to a pretty full house. Singing all those wonderful old songs that her mother made famous. And stories about how they came about. Very emotional in places There were times when I was close to tears. And all I could do gulp them back as i didnt want to make a fool of myself. But as we were leaving I saw others were dabbing at their eyes so I would have been in good company.

We will have a new addition to our lives next week i think i told you all that DH has had his heart set on getting a small dog since we got her. Well Wednesday we found the cutest pup. He is 1/2 Yorkie and 1/2 Brussels Griffon. He's called a Brussel Sprout. He won't be ready to take home until next week . He is adorable. now we have to come up with a name. I thought Sprout was a good one but DH begs to differ. I'll let you know . SIL is thrilled too .

Speaking of SIL she is coming home tonight. She has had enough of the chaos and is ready to come home to peace and quiet. Her heart was in the right place that she was not appreciated for her efforts. Too bad. i just hope it doesn't take her weeks to recuperate as it did last year when she came to live with us.

My son said the other day that he and his family are still thinking of coming down in December. I hope it works out. One of the girls is still too small to go to Disney. But as we told him there is plenty of other stuff to do even if we just hang out at the pool or the beach. There will plenty of time to see Disney.

Ann we are having some trouble with water in parts of the park. Some are under the water boil again for a time. YUK ! I hate the water boil thing. Keep us posted on what is happening with both you and DH. Know we are here for you.

Well because we were out last night we taped the debate and DH wants to watch it so I'll I gotta go because i want to see what kind of a show both wannabes put on.

Karen
Old 10-09-2004, 05:43 PM   #7  

Hi all,

Been enjoying the nice weather. It is so nice not to have the air on and not have to turn the furnace on yet. Been cleaning up the yard. I love this time of the year just hate all the leaves that I have to blow and mulch. Seems endless sometimes. My nieces dd is up for homecoming queen at her high school tonight and glad that the weather is cooperating for all the girls in their pretty dresses.

Ann I am so glad to hear you sounding positive about your surgery. That stuff you have to drink the night before is the absolute pits. All the prayers going for you have to give you some comfort. Wish we were all closer so we could pitch in and help out.

Slavika your grandkids are growing up aren't they? Soon you will have a teenager. I like the idea of giving an unbirthday present so that they don't feel left out.

Maria that site you posted looks interesting. I bookmarked it and am going to look at it later. Who knows maybe I will learn something. They might have something for the dumb and dumber like me. I think your dd was so scared of you having cancer that she reacted in the way she did. It was her way of dealing with it.

Karen glad you got some time to enjoy something for a change. You have had a lot to deal with since you moved south. I would get tired of boiling water too. I watched some of the debate. They are all so full of promises and plans now-just have to wait and see what really happens. Too many spin doctors.

Glenda I still have a couple of best friends from high school. But we just see each other a couple of times of a year for lunch. Hope your lunch turns out okay. Sometimes it can be awkward.

Got to go and make some cookies before we eat all the chips.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:24 PM   #8  

G'day all,

Elections over and no change, we keep our same prime minister for a 4th term in office.

It is a magnificent day here and we set off at 7.15 to walk down to the next surburb over, (a very touristy area) had some breakfast there and then walked back along the beach home. Pleased we did it this early because it was getting quite hot by the time we were home again at 10 am.

Karen I rather like the name 'sprout', sounds like a cutie, who can resist any puppie though
Good to hear things are getting back to normal and no more hurricanes in sight!
What is the 'water boil thing' that you hate?

Peggy I have never had the experience of having a yard full of leaves, it always looks so pretty in pictures. When I did have a big garden, most of my trees/shrubs were the non-deciduous type which basically means a bit of a mess all year around rather than huge leave drop in autumn
I am very pleased that my standard mulberry tree is in full leaf again. We bought it last year as a 10 foot tree and were a bit worried if it would survive, it has and it is looking lovely.

Off to do some ironing so dh can pack for the three weeks he will be in Sydney. I will just go over for a weekend. Then we hope to have some holidays and then, at the moment, it looks like we will be packing up again for a long term project in Sydney but it could of course all change yet again

Have a good weekend all,
Cheers
Maria
Old 10-09-2004, 09:30 PM   #9  
Member Florida Chick

Thumbs up

Just a quickie: Last night was one of those nights when I couldn't sleep too well. I guess it is at night that I can't turn off the brain, but that happened even before my problem came about. And DH has a problem sleeping as he has pain from the back. I hope that his appt. will prove to find a solution to that. And we had an 8:00a.m meeting today.

we have a new neighbor and right now he is down here without his wife, to see to the hurricane damage to the house. She is recovering from shoulder surgery. so we had him over for dinner tonight. I was all set to grill london broil on our outside electric grill, only to find that it had 'bit the dust'. and had to use the broiler on the stove. It turned out okay, but I hate to clean the broiler pan. I think we are going to be friends.

I have been trying to make plans as to what to do with the chorus here in the park. Have a couple of possible solutions in mind, but really have to wait until I know just what the time frame is. Also my directing job at church for the Christmas Choir. But I think that will take care of itself. Not to worry.

We had a windfall today. My dh old union has been in the process of disbanding, selling their property, etc. for several years. We had about given up on getting anything from his share of the corporation, but today we got a nice check, and we have decided to buy a new living room chair.

Time for beddy bye now. Hope I can sleep the night through. Thanks again for all the love and support. Ann
Old 10-10-2004, 03:27 PM   #10  

Maria, The Water Boil thing is when the water has been off for some reason (water treatment? There has been so much rain our water in some places has been some problems) we have to make sure the water we use is pure. So we have to boil all water for at leasr one minute before we use it. That goes on for at least 3 days or until we are told otherwise. It is a pain *#*

Picked up SIL last night and had dinner before we came home . Then had coffee and cheese cake for dessert to celebrate her birthday when we did get home. I finally found her a robe with snaps that i have been looking for for weeks One that doesn't say old lady when you wear it. She is tired and was glad to be home. But all in all in pretty good shape. She said it was good to be back among sane people , ones who don't fight and yell and scream all the time.

Have already been to church this morning. The service here in the park is 8 am. Then fixed breakfast after we got home.

I am still fixing up the place. Friday i bought some new pillow shams at Penny's got a really good deal on them. they had been $26.99 got them for $4.77. I have a blue chenille bedspread and the color of the shams match perfect. Was very pleased with my self. Also found some chair cushions at Walmart to use on the chairs in the bedroom in our little sitting area. They will do until i fine the right chairs for in there. i do enjoy being able to just disappear in to my room and watch TV or read if i want.

Well guess i'll go for now. We are still talking about what to name the pup.

Karen
Old 10-10-2004, 10:38 PM   #11  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all: Just want to say all your prayers are so appreciated. It is nice to know that people are sending up prayers on my behalf from all parts of the globe. It is very uplifting, and also humbling too.

Karen: How about calling your puppy Griff? How big will he be when full grown? I 'm not sure about the size of the Brussels Griffon, but I know yorkies are very small. What color is he? Will you have lots of hair to brush and comb?

We are once again having some difficulties with our dog. She sometimes wakes us up in the night and needs to go out, or if we don't take her we find little treasures in the a.m. So we have put puppy pads in all her favorite places, so at least for now she is using those. I know that the time is going to come when we will have to make a decision that we don't want to. But her hearing is going and also her sight. You can see the milky look in her eyes. She's been such a good companion, that it is going to be a very difficult decision.

Tomorrow DH will go to the neurologist to see what solution there might be for his back problems. I hope he has something positive to say. Right now he is hurting, and I have a tendency to have a short fuse, now and again, and things get a bit 'dicey' now and again. We will both be better when we have some definitive answers.

Sorry for venting a bit, but I know friends are always good listeners. Love you all. Ann
Old 10-10-2004, 11:54 PM   #12  

G'day all,

Another small loss to record this week

Ann sorry but I still like 'sprout' for Karen's puppy.
You sure have a lot on your plate at the moment I hope your dh gets some answers for his back pain.
Talking of short fuses, I am afraid mine has been a bit short this weekend. I am so sick of the likelyhood of having to pack up again for a while What is worse though is that there is never any certainty until the day before we leave and more often than not everything changes again.
I guess there are worse things to cope with

Karen that does sound like a bit of a pain having to boil your water before drinking it. Good to hear your sil appreciates to be with 'sane' family.
Your pillow shams were a fantastic bargain, don't you just love getting bargains like that!!

It is a very warm day here and promises to be even warmer tomorrow, 38 degrees
If it does indeed become as hot as forecasted, it will be the hottest October day on record!
Weather is definetly changing.
DS was home for dinner last night (his wife had a late shift) Next week they are off to the obstetrician and after that they will let everyone know that they are expecting. Now it is only the very immediate family (and you priveledge people ) who know about the baby.
They will find out the sex of the baby and will not keep that a secret DS's father-in-law doesn't want to know so they have said they won't tell him but cannot promise that someone else will not tell him
I think it is rather nice being able to refer to the baby by name, he/she will be well and truly part of the family before he/she is even born.

Peggy do you know if you are having a grand daughter or grand son???

I have a bit of photo restorations to do.....

Take care all,

Cheers
Maria

Starting weight: 94.9 kg
goal weight: 72 kg
todays weight 84.8 kg
.2 down from last week
total loss till now 10.1 kg
Old 10-11-2004, 04:55 PM   #13  
Fun Blonde

Wow, so much is happening and has been going on. Where to start?!!! First of all, Ann, I so understand sleeplessness. When I was first diagnosed, before I had real answers and a plan of action, I slept at night, but woke at 4 in the morning wide awake and terrified. Could not go back to sleep. I combatted this by praying and praying for everybody and everything and myself included. That was a comfort. Just seemed that at 4 in the morning I was totally defenseless and needed comfort. I am so sorry that you both are having health problems because when we feel bad, we just aren't ourselves. I can be that proverbial witch (or a word that rhymes), but I just tell my DH to forgive me in advance, that I feel bad, and just cranky.

We have a very elderly dog also. She sleeps with us and I just know that soon she won't wake up in the morning. My DH picks her up and puts her in the yard and then puts her on a chair. She is totally deaf and has the milky eyes. But she has been my baby for such a long time. We got her 3 days before my first cancer operation and she has taken care of me for years. There has never been a sweeter little dog. As long as she doesn't leave me treasures, we will baby her. Just breaks my heart that she is in this state.

Karen - you are such a wonderful SIL. Thank goodness your SIL has a sane home to come to. If you ever want another houseguest, I am in the market. Just kidding!

Everybody's weather is changing. Today I have on a sweater. It has rained for 3 full days. We visited kids over the weekend and got home late last night. I need to spend a whole day going through clothes. Should have seen me this morning looking for something that fit that was the right season. Maria, the different seasons we are going through always just get me. I am such a spring and summer person that I am envious of you right now.

All, just wanted to let you know that our son Cody is a changed young man. I am so in awe of the difference in him. He might just be all right. There was an article in the paper about phobias and how crushing they can be and how they can cripple people's lives. Cody is a good example.
Glenda

Last edited by survivor; 10-11-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:25 PM   #14  
Super Surfer

Thumbs up I like SPROUT too.

Karen I think that Sprout is a really cute name. We had a litte Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, her name was Victoria, but was rarely called that. Usually we called her "Tortie" or "Toria" my DH would call her "Gordie"... she came running no matter what. I think once you get attached to the pup, the right name will appear just like that. Slavika had some great pet names for her little doggies.
It seems that you have a more social life in Tampa. I know there weren't a lot of places to go in Brainerd. Have fun..
Maria There are a lot of advantages to knowing the sex of the baby beforehand. I would have loved to know, but my DD and her DH wanted to be surprised. There were so many little things we could have picked up on specials that I had to leave behind. I guess it is all up to the expectant parents and they choices they make. YIKES... 38c... I would die. I find 30C hard.
Ann I am like you and Glenda... do not sleep when I am troubled. I do my best worrying at night, when everyone else in the whole world is asleep (as least that is what it feels like). With me it is the unknown factor. I always think I can deal with things when I know exactly what is going on. My DH can sleep through any crisis. Once you and your DH get a plan of action regarding your health, I am sure you will be able to tackle it with all your strength.
Glenda I do not like late fall weather at all. Right now it is still absolutely gorgeous outside, but the dreaded winter is approaching. Nov and Dec are really bad months for me. It is darker earlier and it always seems to take so long to get over to Jan when the days gradually will get longer. I got my winter duds ready today. Put away the shorts and t-shirts and brought out the bulky sweaters. I just wish winter wasn't so long. The change of seasons is great, but why does winter have to go on for such a long time?... especially here in our latitude.

We had our Thanksgiving celebrations yesterday at my brother's place. Lots to eat and drink, and my DH rolled me home around 10:00 pm. Our little was with us and she is always good to make any event fun. My brother and family are taken with her, so they always have a little gift for her too. We got her a "Elmo Goes On The Potty" doll... it is so cute, and they got her a "Buzzing Bee" that buzzes, shakes and giggles a lot. We all had fun with the toys. I know that traditionally Thanksgiving is not a gift giving event, but Grandparents use any excuse to get something for the little darlings. She is cutting her eye teeth right now. Some of her teeth have really given her trouble. These have given her an upset stomach, so she has been sick a few times. Ahhh, this too will pass.

Hope you all are having a great day.... bye bye..

Last edited by Trudy; 10-11-2004 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:24 PM   #15  

G'day all,

The forecast is till the same, we are in for a very hot day

Yes sleeplessnes nights are a problem for me as well when I am worried. There have been times that I have been so tempted to see the doctors for some sleeping tablets but never did.
When I first received my diagnosis my doctor gave me about 1/2 dozen sleeping tablets to see me through the first few days.
I am the sort of person who wants to talk about it all the time (I bet that came as a surprise to you all ), trying to rationalise why this was happening. I read so many books on how people coped and there were some very uplifting books out there.
My dh had no need to talk about it nor to read any books.
I did join a support group for a little while which was a great help.
The other difficult thing I found was telling people why I was in hospital etc.
invariably it was me who was consoling my visitors that things were really not quite as bleak.
All in all a difficult time that I now look back on as almost a positive in my life. It certainly made us look at life very different.

I knew you had good taste Trudy, there won't be too many other dogs with the name sprout Karen
Sounds you had a good thanks giving. Some of the toys available now are just so cute. I am going to be such a sucker for buying toys/books, any occassion will be a good reason

Glenda Great to hear Cody has turned the corner. I know what you mean about our different seasons, it is always very hard to comprehend for me the amount of snow you get when we are in the middle of the summer

Have a great day all,
Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread