Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 08:26 AM   #1  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Default Turtle Club #125

Lin's starter post for each thread:

Hi, Turtles,

Here's the fable that started it all:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for several years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We've been reflecting on what the turtle philosophy means as we start our second hundred posts. The turtle philosophy was a difficult one for people to accept. People want the weight off--NOW!! But reality is that it took time to put it on and it will take time to take it off. People want it to be easy to take off the weight. But reality is that it's not easy. You can have a program that's easy to follow, but following it steadily--that's hard. People don't want to exercise much, if at all. But reality is that our bodies were designed to move. So, we're setting realistic goals that take the weight off at a healthy pace. We're setting goals that will keep us moving steadily toward the healthy weight we want to be. And we're just plain moving. We're setting realistic exercise goals that will move our bodies the way they were meant to be moved.

We've also noticed that our turtle philosophy has affected the rest of our lives. I've started writing fiction again. I realize that I can finish a novel, or two, or ten. All I have to do is to set realistic daily goals, work steadily toward achieving them, and they will build up into finished books. Turtle Power at work in my everyday life.

Anyone who wants to join us in steadily moving toward all of our goals is welcome. I've met some wonderful people on this thread. I hope to meet many more. I know the battle with our weight is a difficult one. Having such supportive people come and post regularly keeps it from getting overwhelming. I hope to see many more people join us as we move forward on our journey.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:36 AM   #2  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, turtles.

Judy, I can't have GS cookies in the house. Heh -- right now, I can't even have *raisins* in the house, that's how bad it is. But good for you coming here and posting on a high-point day. I know how hard that is -- and how important. Any idea why you're having high-point days right now? How did last night go?

I'm counting and writing it down. Yesterday I had about 32 points, which was better than the 38 the day before, which was better than the 48 the day before! So they're coming down. My weight is stabilizing, which is very good. I'm still below 200, but just barely.

Today I've decided to stop the Lenten fast. It's just not healthy for me. I get anemic and lethargic when I drop chicken and meat, and eating all those carbs just makes me want to eat more carbs. Next year I may try giving up something like sugar instead. But as for this year, I'm going to focus entirely on non-food things, like reading beneficial books and articles (I'll continue to "fast" from reading mysteries until Easter), etc.

It's just too hard for me to get enough protein and iron from a vegan diet. I can see doing it short-term, but not for two months. And then there's the psychological problem I have whenever I give up specific foods -- which is why I don't "diet" anymore.

Anyway, that's what's new here. I hope you all are doing well ... I miss some of our turtles and hope they'll join us again. And if anyone is lurking, we'd love to hear from you.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 03-26-2004, 08:16 PM   #3  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Turtles,
Lauren, I'm so glad you're dealing with the Lenten fast. Probably for some people, it's doable, but I really think it's not healthy for us and I can't imagine that God would think it's a great idea to do something unhealthy. I know that's just me.....but.....

I think you're great to turn your Lenten fast around and do something that is meaningful to you.
that your daily points are being recorded and that they're going down.

Mine have been using up all my Flexpoints and here's what they look like:
Today 32 points
Yesterday 28 points
Day before that 27 points
Day before before 28 points

Okay--weren't you smart to have me record that? I really was feeling like a failure.
What's happening here is I'm depressed because the balance in my medications is off and when that happens I gain weight. So instead of doing the adult thing which would be to exercise more and really watch the points, I feel sorry for myself and don't exercise and then eat more points.
Lots happening here, but nothing that I can't handle. If my meds don't settle in by Wed. of this upcoming week, I'll head back to the doc and see if he can figure something out for me. I have a very slow thyroid and that's been a problem in the past. I was doing so well and I want that feeling back.

Bandit2, good luck for the upcoming weekend. I know they can be hard for you, so I'm sending :

Lauren, thanks for writing. I miss our turtles too and would love to have lurkers jump in and help us out.
Love and good vibes,
Judy
Old 03-27-2004, 09:53 AM   #4  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I'm cranky. I woke up way too early. My post from yesterday disappeared. I wrote a new one. AOL lost the connection just as I hit the post button. This is me: Anyway, I'm still here. I've been reading your posts.

Congratulations, everyone. You're all doing great.

Lauren, I'm sorry you've had to give up your Lenten fast before the end of Lent. I know it means a lot to you and it must have been a difficult decision. I think it's good for you to find an alternate way to get closer to God during this time. I applaud your courage in taking care of your health.

My writing is going great. I'm learning a lot from the class. I'm writing pretty much daily now. It took a long time to build the habit, but it's there.

Lauren, we have some mini-classes on the site, taught by whoever wants to teach one. This month, one of the classes was on giftedness. The last class was on being gifted in other than academic ways. She posted one person's study with characteristics of people who's giftedness is writing. We both qualify, separated twin. You have one I don't have--You're an INFP. I'm an ENFP, a writer with the unusual trait of being extraverted. Anyway, it was an interesting read and I thought I'd share.

Job hunting stinks. And the California EDD does, too. They messed up and stopped sending our checks. We got two weeks behind before they got it straightened out. So, now I'm 2 months behind on my utilities because I had to pay the rent first. I have to call and see if I can get the payments put off until we get that last catchup check.

As for the job hunting--we've found 18 jobs to apply for since he got laid off in January. No nibbles. We're exploring other options, like starting his retirement from the job he worked at for 20 years. We do not want to do this, but we may have no choice. The problem is that if we do it, we can't undo it. And we're going to have a lower monthly income by doing it now, rather than at full retirement when he's 65. It's a good short-term solution, but awful in the long term. We also might move in with my mother. Unless he finds a job soon, we'll have to choose the best bad choice.

So, you all can understand why losing weight is not a priority right now. I'm working at the level of basic survival. However, I'm planning to start working out again as soon as TOM is gone. (That's the other reason I'm cranky. ) Aside from the health benefits, workouts help me think.

I hope you're all moving! Here's a smilie just for Judy:
Old 03-28-2004, 02:58 PM   #5  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Glad to hear from you, Lin. And that Smilie is adorable. Guess what? I put the Smilie to good use today and actually dragged my butt onto the treadmill. Got right back into the groove of it and walked for 1 1/2 miles in a little more than 1/2 an hour. Fine for being away from it for about a week! Also am doing great with points today, although I know that can change at any moment.

Lin, I'm sending you mega prayers and good vibes that your dh gets a job. This has got to be so discouraging. I love that you're writing even better and learning more than ever! Way to go! As far as weight, you're honest about where you are now.

Lauren,
I overlooked something you wrote yesterday about your current weight. I'm sending you mega prayers and good vibes too because you don't want to cross over into 200+
territory and I know you can do this! Life is tough and we get bounced around a lot, but I know you can perservere in your healthy lifestyle quest. We all can! :

Bandit2, hoping your weekend is and you're doing what you want with it to stay OP.

Love to you all,
turtles chime in when you can.
Judy
Old 03-28-2004, 04:54 PM   #6  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hello, toirtoiseans. I miss our turtle expert telling us about how tortoises aren't turtles. I wonder how her tortoises are doing?

Not much new to report from the food/exercise front. I need to get back into exercise, even if it's just light. It's hard to exercise when you feel so lethargic. I started taking iron pills yesterday in hopes that this will help me regain my strength. (I tend toward anemia.) Also, allergies are starting to hit. I'm trying holistic stuff this year. (Zicam for allergies)

Isn't that just FASCINATING??

I'm writing it down, still not in the 20s yet. Judy -- WOO-HOO! Look at your points! You're doing wonderfully! And you got back on the treadmill, too. That is WONDERFUL. I hope the doc gets your meds straightened out. I'm very impressed that you got on the treadmill in spite of thyroid mixups. That's hard to do!

Bandit, hope your weekend is going well.

Lin, glad the writing is now a daily habit. We'll continue to pray re: the job situation. That's very tough. I hope you don't have to move in with your mom, but I'm glad you've got that fallback.

One of these days I really will get back into "fun" writing. Today I have to write four articles for one of my clients; I don't like to let them accumulate like that, but there you go. I find it very tough to do fun writing when I'm having to do "work" writing, as you know.

I am enjoying reading, though. I just finished an amazing book called "Life and Death in Shanghai" by Nien Cheng, and I highly recommend it. She chronicles her life in China during the Cultural Revolution, when she was put in solitary confinement for nearly 7 years. She is a remarkable writer and an even more remarkable person. She didn't just survive; she prevailed. I can't recommend the book highly enough.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 03-29-2004, 10:31 AM   #7  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Just a quick note -- I'm up a half pound this week. Apparently I gain weight when I eat 35-48 points a day. Gee, you think? Well, at least I'm writing it down again, and I'm inching toward bringing myself back under control.

Rain and cool today. I'm taking time off from one client in order to finish work for my other client.

My DSF (darling stepfather), whom I call Pop, may have congestive heart failure. He should find out more soon. He's only just 70, which seems very young to me. Mom us understandably worried. He's like a dad to me. I hope he'll be OK. Growing old definitely isn't for sissies.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/198.5/down
Old 03-30-2004, 08:47 AM   #8  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Lauren, I'm sending prayers and :to you,your mom, and step-dad.
Being up 1/2# is okay because you are already journaling and reducing the number of food points you eat each day. It's all okay. I can hear that you're changing what you're doing and that will definitely lead to weight loss. Thanks for the book tip. I've written it down and hope that my local library has it. Sounds like a fascinating read and I'm up for hearing how people prevail under tough circumstances.

Bandit2, In going along with suppers that we like, here's an easy to make and tasty side dish for supper that I got from Rachel Ray on TV. Place loads of spinach leaves in a bowl. Drizzle some olive oil over it (2 teaspoons). Add grape tomatoes cut in half, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. While you're doing this, cook up some orzo(one cup cooked), drain it, and pour it over the fresh spinach, etc. Let it sit for a minute to wilt the spinach a bit, then toss and serve. As far as points, the whole thing would be about 2points for the oil and 4 points for the orzo. This was such a refreshing change from all lettuce salads in the winter and I know I'll love it in the spring as well. How's everything going for you? I'm sending :

I got over my irrational fear that changing my meds and reducing my thyroid medication would immediately make me gain weight. Did I immediately gain weight? Yes, but that 's because I stopped exercising and I ate more. Duh! Anyway, I've lost the top weight already in two days--I'm down that top pound and now I'm working on the other two. Wish me luck and let's all keep on keepin' on.
Love
Judy
Old 03-31-2004, 10:52 AM   #9  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, turtles.

Judith (I've been watching a lot of "Upstairs Downstairs" lately, so you just became "Judith), thanks for the prayers for my folks and for the encouragement for me. I really appreciate it. You're right; I am starting, bit by bit, to get back on track. This morning I felt the stirrings of excitement at the idea of going for a walk outside again. I ended up running too late to get outside, but I'm definitely going out tomorrow, even if it's raining. Which it has been doing here for a week.

One thing that's really helping me lately: going to Dotti's website and reading the Lifetimers groups. I find it very inspirational to see people who have taken the weight off and are keeping it off, sometimes by the skin of their teeth. Their dedication is a real motivator for me. As is yours these days, Judy!

Way to go on knocking off those pounds! That is the mark of a long-term winner, turning these gains around and moving on. Good for you! Your orzo and spinach salad sounds yummy. With a little feta, it would also have more protein. I think I'll give it a try.

In a little while, I'm going to send out an APB to the turtles' email group and see how everyone is doing. It's too quiet here.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 03-31-2004, 07:57 PM   #10  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Just to let you know, I'll be baby-sitting my little grandkids for a week and I will *try*
to post, but I'm not sure I'll be able to. I want to post for two reasons:
1. to lend support
2. to keep myself on track.
I know it will be remarkably easy to get off program with running after the little guys.

Lauren,
Good idea to check Dotti's. I will do the same. Also, thanks for sending out an all points bulletin. Bandit usually checks in and I miss her plus all our wonderful friends that have been here over the last year. I wonder if gals have gone low-carb or some other program? If so, I sure would love to have them post here anyway. I figure this is a lifetime approach and I don't care what method works for people. I just love the input and the solutions.

Everybody take care. I'm going to make a real effort to chime in.
Love,
Judy
Old 04-01-2004, 09:38 AM   #11  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Lauren, you, your stepdad, and your family are in my prayers. I'm sorry to hear he's ill.

I'm glad to see you inching back to being in control. I need to do one thing for my health every day. Maybe I can build back up to it. I read your posts and I want to post that I'm doing something, but I'm not. Maybe my attitude is getting back to where it needs to be. We'll see.

Judy, you're doing great these days, too. Your salad sounds great. I think I'd add some roasted red bell peppers and tomatoes for color, and they're no points.

The book is going fine. I'm doing a marathon. I haven't decided which two days I'm going to count. You pick which contiguous 48 hour period you want to use as your marathon time. Anyway, other than that, things are pretty much the same.

Keep moving!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:50 AM   #12  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Lin, glad to hear from you. I love the idea of roasted red peppers! They would add eye appeal and taste to the salad. See what happens when you let a real cook look at your recipes? One of the reasons I love this salad is that it has yummy orzo in a tiny quantity. If I only use a cup of cooked orzo, then I can't overeat on it. Hooray!
Let's face it; if I ate the entire salad it would still be only 6 points and I've done much worse than that on other occasions. Lin, I feel you are so close to getting yourself where you want to be. Hang in there, honey, and feel the good vibes from this site that you started so long ago. You can do this.

Lauren,
again, thanks for the tip about Dotti's site. I think I'll go back over there and browse a bit. Good luck for the fast approaching weekend.

Bandit, hope you're going to Curves and good luck with snacks over the weekend. I miss you, so I hope you can chime in soon.

Love,
Judy
Old 04-02-2004, 12:16 PM   #13  
Turtle Extraordinaire

I just sent out an all-points bulletin to the turtles who sent me their email addresses. I hope everyone is doing OK.

Judy, have a great time with the grandkids. We'll miss you. Just think about all the years you'd like to spend with them. Maybe that'll help keep you on track.

Lin, good luck with that marathon and book. Did I mention I'm going to a conference on faith and writing? There's info about it at http://www.calvin.edu/academic/engl/conf/program/ . Looks like there are going to be some interesting speakers and workshops. I was surprised to see Joyce Carol Oates would be there. I'm going with three other women; we're sharing a hotel room and a car (or two; some of them may want to come back early).

I like the roasted red pepper addition to the salad, too. Great idea.

I'm muddling along. Am quite down about a number of things I won't go into here, but I'm trying not to let it affect my eating. Yesterday I had 35 points. The day before was one of my best at 28. I'm still not down to 24, but I'm working on it. I did walk yesterday, too -- first day we've had sunshine in a long time. The daffodils are almost blooming ...

Almost forgot to mention ... tomorrow is the beginning of Holy Week. We've got services virtually every day, and two services some days. So I'll continue to check in but may not be quite as vocal until after Easter.

Onward,

Lauren
Old 04-03-2004, 09:42 AM   #14  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I hope we hear from some of the missing turtles. Thanks for sending out the email, Lauren.

That conference sounds wonderful, Lauren. Have a great time. Be inspired.

I hope you'll get some time to check in this week.

Judy, thanks for the encouragement. I needed it.

Have a great time babysitting your wonderful grandkids.

I have good news. My husband has a job interview in a little over a week. The person doing the interview is in Taiwan, so they set it up for when he gets back. Wish us luck! It's a good job.

On another front, my son's photography business is taking off much faster than he expected. He's bugging me to edit his web site stuff like "yesterday". He wants it up since it's his main advertisement. Makes sense because people go to the web first in the San Jose area. Anyway, he's got bids out for a magazine cover, a wedding, and business portraits. This is the kid who was worrying that he'd spend all this money and do all this work and have no business. He says that most photorgaphers are in San Francisco because a lot of people in San Jose got out of the business. So this turned out to be a good time to start one.

I have a little bit more to do on the marathon this morning, so I'd better go. I'll write again soon.

Keep moving, everyone.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:17 AM   #15  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Great news, Lin! We'll certainly keep your husband's upcoming interview in our prayers. I'm glad your son's business is starting to take off, too. Very heartening.

Beautiful sunny day here, though cold.

I plan to start back at WW after Easter, though I'd like to go to a different meeting than my old one. I need a change. I keep gaining, though, so I know I need to go back. This week I'm up a pound at 199.5. All my clothes are tight.

Got to run.

Onward,

Lauren
274/199.5/down
Closed Thread