Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 07:24 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 - 60 year olds #237

G’day everyone,

Ann by now you will have received the collage. I must have had a bit more of the ‘red ned’ than I thought that night.

Trudy I haven’t seen Seabiscuit but it is a film my dh is very keen to see. It sounds like a good story and it is a true story and they are the sort of films I like.
On age, I can remember someone asking me at school how old my mother was, she was ‘old’ 42, none of my classmates had a mother that old, all other motheres were in their thirties. Funny how our perception of ‘old’ changes!
That is good news about the scientific discovery to cure breast cancer.
Marnie you have had an eventful time, good for you being able to retrieve your documents and you are trying to tell us you know little about computers
Lucky girlfriend getting your quilt for Christmas.

Lily eventhough we do not celebrate Halloween, it does seem a shame that this tradition on your side of the world is coming to an end. I suspect it must be because most parents would not want their children wandering the streets.

Glenda so nice to see you again, yes the collage does look great. I also totally agree with you about the ‘positives’ that can come out of receiving a cancer diagnoses however I still prefer not to have had it!
What is a ‘wazoo’??? Never heard of one of those.

I did have a great day yesterday at the Melbourne Cup luncheon and I even had a win on my flutter on the Cup. It was lovely to catch up with everyone.
None of them have any idea as to what I do. I suspected that would probably be the case and came prepared. I took my camera and have taken lots of shots and will now enhance a few of them and send them to everyone. One as a collage with a picture of a horse race (as a watermark similar to the butterfly on my website) and the individual pictures of everyone. I hope they will be suitably impressed with the final result.
My HP printer (not my wonderful Epson Photo 2100 ) has given up the ghost. I have had it less than a year and have already had it replaced once. The same thing has happened again but now……..’to improve customer service’ when you ring them you end up in India . I am happy for the Indians all getting jobs as a result of this move but for me in Australia it is extremely frustrating. I have now been promised 5 times they will ring me back and they still have not. I have noted all the times and names of people I have spoken to. All I want is a contact point in Australia but they cannot give that to me. I am even prepared to contact a TV station to see if they can assist. The printer was not overly expensive ($489) but expensive enough to not discard it after less than a year use.

Back to hassling them again

Cheers all,
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 11-04-2003 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:40 PM   #2  
Member Florida Chick

Maria: Got the collage. It is great. we are all a great looking bunch- don't you think? Sorry about your printer. Hope you can get some satisfaction.

I think we all use the word 'wazoo' as a slang type of expression. To express a variety of meanings and most of them a bit on the derogartory side ! Instead of just saying 'I've Had it'. when upset, we might make it more emphatice by saying" I've had it up the wazoo'. What do you think ladies, is that an appropriate explanation? I'm sure you can all add something more. :
See you later. Ann
Old 11-05-2003, 12:00 AM   #3  
Super Surfer

Default the wazoo

I always thought we sit on our "wazoo"

I hate it when we think we are phoning our local bank branch and end up talking to someone 3,000 miles away in Newfoundland or in BC. It is very frustrating! But in your case Maria calling India you will be dealing with another accent making conversation difficult. I had to order a new paddle for my bread machine and the 1-800 number connected me with South Carolina... well.... I had one heck of a time with the southern drawl and she had a time trying to understand me. We had a good laugh on the phone about it and I did get my new paddle. Hope you get the printer problems solved without too much hassle.

Another dreary damp day today. I did manage to have a good day though, my DD and visited in the morning, they left after lunch, and I had a lot of laughs with my Tea Time friends. My DH and I went out for din dins, so I didn't have to cook. If you notice the whole day was centered around food.
It was nice getting together with Slavika and the gals today, she made the Cranberry Cheesecake and it was delicious. We all liked what she has done to her home, it is just beautiful.

Not surprisingly, my weight is up... AGAIN... so I started journaling today. Marnie did your WW lecturer say not to drink milk??? It is so important for us to get our calcium every day... I might have misunderstood you. I try to drink 3 cups of milk every day, if I can't, I have my calcium chews. I am trying Caltrate now, only because Costco isn't selling Viactiv anymore. The pharmacist said Caltrate has more calcium per chew.

Well, I am going to get ready for bed now, always hopefull that I can fall asleep. Haven't been able to sleep much lately, I blame everything on the weather..

'Nite everyone, and Goodmorning to Maria....
Old 11-05-2003, 12:42 AM   #4  

Trudy it is 4 in the afternoon here and I am just about organised for visitors tonight.

Well I have had some joy after being very persistant.
I finally received a phone call from a Melbourne fellow who told me that the problem I was having with my HP printer was a known problem. Their engineers have now rectified the problem and anyone calling with my complaint should receive automatically a new replacement printer
After many phone calls lots sof time wasting and getting very angry, I finally got some results.
The Indian fellow was trying to tell me the reason my calls were not returned because the only person who knows about these printers was on holidays. I asked him if this fellow was to drop dead right this minute, would that mean I would never get my printer issue resolved???????
I resent being taken for a fool
The Melbourne fellow told me that he would take up the issue with the Indian call centre because they should have known of this problem.

It is very hot here at the moment but a thunderstorm is threatening with the weather cooling a bit.

By now you are all tucked into bed, so sleep tight all

Cheers
Maria
Old 11-05-2003, 11:26 AM   #5  
Life Time 2001

Marnie: Yes Calcium is very important. I think what your Leader meant was things like Alchol, Juice's (instead of fruit, or Veggies), things like that. Especially important at our age to make sure we get Calcium in. I get 2-3 milks in a day. sometimes only 2 but I make sure I take a Viactiv, if I dont.

Glenda: So good to see you again.

Maria: Glad you got your printer problems resloved. What a pain to go thru. Hp is suppose to be so good. But I have had problems with them myself. They are good at replacing things. But getting thru is another story

Ann: Great explanation. Wazoo is used in a variety of ways.

Trudy: Sounds like your winter is coming. It is here to. Just hate it
But at least it only lasts for 3-4 months. We never did have fall, except for maybe one day. It was in the high 80's then the next day it was in the 50's and hasnt changed since. Gonna check out these Caltrate's didnt know they were better. Do they taste as good?

Later
Old 11-05-2003, 12:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Yes, calcium is important. But instead of using it up in my coffee, I've been bringing a yogurt to work and having "skim" on my cereal in the morning. I know there are some vegetables, too, that give us calcium: IS IT CHCOLATE? Thanks Lily - I don't drink alcohol and rarely use points on juice.

Hope the printer problem is solved, Maria. It cracks me up that people who are in the "service" industry do not know how to handle the servicing.

Karen, hope you've gotten over the sinus infection. That is troublesome.

Trudy, I've never taken the Caltrate or the Viactive. I've seen ads for both of them on TV.

Have you all been watching Dr. Phil? Yesterday he said he'd add menus to the website. This morning - since my boss is in Germany - I downloaded 3 weeks of menus, plus one week of vegetartian menus.

DH and I are heading to Dubuque on Sunday. I had a cousin die, and we're going to attend her funeral. Also, there's a quilt shop in Galena, Illinois (not too far from where we'll be) and I have an ulterior motive for going!

It's almost lunch time and I'm getting hungry. I'll later.

Marnie
Old 11-05-2003, 12:45 PM   #7  

Whay Miss Trudy, that's funny about y'all's conversation with a South Carolinian. [written in southern drawl]. Ann since you live in the South have you picked up an accent? Would love to hear you cause aren't you from Maine? Mix that with the South should be fun. Where I live we have the habit of saying "please" in place of excuse me or please explain that again.

Maria what a mess with you printer. You would think that they would know the meaning of service. I know I would have a hard time understanding. I can never understand my nephew's wife who comes from there.

Got an email from the family in India. The 7th grader is learning Tamil as his 3rd language after English and Spanish. They also initiated Halloween where they live. He sent his Christmas list but you have to wonder if they things will get there. They seem to disappear in customs. Their dvd player never arrived. I am sure some official is enjoying it.

I take calcium pills-one in the morning and one in the evening. They have D in them. I used to like the ones that are like caramels. I liked them way too much.

The 80 degree weather is going away and it is getting a little chillier. Going to rain. I have spent the last couple of days mulching trying to beat the rain.

Slavika that cranberry cheesecake doesn't sound like a WW recipe but it sure does sound good.

Saw these on eBay. They are so cute and would be so easy to make. Give those kids something to do. You can get the tags at a scrapping store or office supply store or make your own. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2570781814

Going to go clean-there are leaves in the house.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:13 PM   #8  
Super Surfer

Default the scoop on Caltrate

Lily I don't think the Caltrate is as "chocolatey" (is that a word? ) as Viactiv. Caltrate has 600 mg of elemental calcium and 100 IU of Vitamin D. Viactiv has 500mg of calcium and 100 IU of Vitamin D. I actually think the Viactiv is like a piece of fudge, but I will stick with the Caltrate. The Caltrate is more expensive here too. $10.59 compared to $8.99. I found the pills so hard to swallow so I don't mind paying more for a little treat. Because of Osteoporisis I also take 1 70mg of Fosamax once a week.
Peggy The little boy is going to be fluent in many languages. I must have missed the initial post about the boy, is he a foster child? Too bad they didn't get the DVD, that is just awful someone official would steal it.
Marnie Too bad about the death of your cousin. It is nice travel, but sad when it is for a funeral. Yogurt is a good way of getting calcium, but because it doesn't contain vitamin D, it isn't absorbed as readily. I don't know why taking care of our health can't be simple.
My DH has to take cholesterol pills, he has a genitically high count. He does not like taking them. There is a doctor column in our newspaper and this particular doctor does not believe in any medication for high cholesterol. He states that the side effects of the medication are worse than dealing with the cholesterol, and the drug companies are getting rich. So, of course my DH wants to stop his medication. I told him to take the article and see his doctor before he stops. MEN!
Maria I always picture you getting up when I am going to bed, but I see that is not true. I managed to sleep 6 hours last night and that is a victory for me. That is good news about the printer. Imagine having only 1 person who knows about the problem... that is too rediculous to believe, but sometimes I think that because you are on the phone, they can tell you anything and you will believe it.

I hope everyone is having a great day... bye for now.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:49 PM   #9  

G'day all,

It is 2 pm and dh and myself have just been for a walk along the beach, even had a bit of a paddle, up till our knees!
Dh is such a child that he had to spash me and I got a bit wetter than I intended to get.

It is a glorious day here again, lovely and warm.

Lily I know HP is a good brand but I won't be buying it again, I have a HP scanner, dh has one of those 3 in one office jets and I have the troublesome deskjet. We have had problems with all three not being compatible with Windows 2000 or WindowsXP. We had no end of problems getting the right drivers etc. I am afraid they have done their dash. I am happy though that a new printer (refurbished one) arrived this morning.

Sorry you have to go to attend a funeral Marnie, I find it very difficult to attend funerals, I am always a blubbering mess no matter how well I know the person

Thanks for the link to Ebay Peggy that is the first time I have actually felt Christmas is not far away when the music started playing on clicking on the larger view of the tags.
We have very few accents here, difficult to tell what part of Australia someone is from. New Zealanders do have quite a different accent and can be difficult to understand.
What about Canada, do you have different dialects? I know part of Canada speaks french but in the english speaking part are there dialects??

Slavika and Trudy people are always asking me where you both are in Canada, I suspect you are on the West Coast because that would be the closest to the Lakes, where I know you often go Slavika Maybe I am totally wrong, my geography is wowful

TrudyI have also heard that about cholestrol medication. You may remember I was on some when I was in Sydney. When I ran out of the medication and then saw another doctor (back he here in Adelaide) she said I should not be on it but I am having regular cholestrol tests, it is still high but she seems to think it is OK.

We are off to Melbourne very early tomorrow morning and back again on Sunday, so I will be missing in action until then.

Have a great weekend all and I will 'see' you on my return...

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 11-05-2003 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:12 PM   #10  
Member Florida Chick

Hi everyone: It has been busy time for me, so I have managed to read, but may not get to post too much until the weekend is over. We are having our Fall Festival Sat. and it will be a busy time. Games, Crafts, Breakfast, lunch, Bake Sale, etc. I will be glad when my tour of duty is over.

I get calcium at Sams Club. Calcium with magnesium and zinc. The Vitamin D is in my multiple vitamin. With my osteoporosis, I take Miacalcin, since Fosamax is not good for my esophagus. And I do try to eat cheese and yogurt. Broccoli is a good source of calcium too. My DH has to take cholestorol medication too. Just started about 3 weeks ago, and then he has to have blood work done in two months. For me my diet seems to have worked on the cholesterol, and I do take 500 mgs. of niacin everyday. Life sure doesn't get simpler as the years go by. :

Hope to talk to you all later this week. Ann
Old 11-06-2003, 08:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Good Morning!

All I know about Canadians is that they say "aboot" for about! Trudy and Slavika, I bet you have a few words that us USAers use differently, too.

Can you think of healthy snacks I can bring in the car to Dubuque? I just don't want to pig out on the usual chips, nuts, etc. I thought of raisins and dried fruits.

Ann, did you make anything for the church bazaar? Sounds like a lot of work, too.

Maria, I envied you your walk along the beach. That's one thing I enjoyed when we were in Hawaii: the never ending surf and the beauty everywhere. (Have a safe trip).

It was 17 this morning. Br-r-r-r.

I'll check back later.

Marnie
Old 11-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #12  

It's cold here too Marnie. Now we are paying for those nice hot days we had this past week. Can you pack some fresh fruit and if you have to take chips and stuff how about those baked ones.

Trudy I started taking Zocor over the summer. My cholesterol in June was 259 and a couple of weeks ago it was down to 170. I haven't seen any articles on the pros and cons of the pills. Just know that you can't drink grapefruit juice with them. I love grapefruit juice and I miss that. The family in India is my nephew, wife and their 2 sons. He married a girl from India. She just got out of medical school and is practicing there. The dad is teaching in the boys school. They have been there about 6 months and they like it. Don't thnk I will be visiting.

Ann I think you are the energizer bunny. You just keep going and going and going. That's great. Have a successful festival.

Maria take a walk on the beach for me. Wish I lived near one. Have a good trip.

Going to go back to painting.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:05 PM   #13  
Member Florida Chick

A quick report. have all my t-shirts painted, all my quilled cards done, and my table signs made. I have to make some pies for the bake-sale. surgar free ones. There is always a big call for SF. In a retirement park like ours there seems to be a lot of diabetics. I'll be glad when this is all over. The 'energizer bunny' is beginning to run down. : Nite Nite. Ann
Old 11-07-2003, 07:43 PM   #14  

Ann what did you paint on your shirts? Would love to see them.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:52 PM   #15  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Hi all, I am back to WW for a week and have 101# to lose to be where I would like to be. I'm 54, married, work fulltime & am happy to finally have an empty nest.

What kind of topics is discussed in this thread?
Closed Thread