Old 01-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #16  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Saying hi to the Turtles. Dee, that's quite a storm. WE've been weather quiet here this winter also and are hoping for the best.

I have rejoined WW's and if I lose 10# in two months, I won't have to pay for those two months. Great incentive to keep on track.

Best to all of you.
Judy
Itryharder
179.8/?WI tomorrow/170 and thinner
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #17  
Chick

I stayed the same since my beginning WI on Sat. I'll make Wednesday my "official" WI day since that day works the best for me.

I was disappointed I stayed the same, but I ate out on Sunday and had a great time. The crazies of my life then took over. lol. We had a grandson need to eat at the hibachi restaurant on Monday night. I had tofu and veggies but there was so much salt in the soup and also so much oil on the grill that I gained weight. Then my book club met on Tuesday at lunch and again I did my best with scallops, but I wasn't able to shake an ounce with that kind of eating out. Next week will be better. I had reached 171# mid-December and was positive I'd break 170# by New Year's. With all the angst here with my dh's health that didn't happen. Now I am on track to knock off this weight and get cracking.

Best of luck to all of you. Chime in and let us know how you're doing.
Judy
Itryharder
179.8/179.8/170 and thinner
Old 01-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi turtles & a big welcome to our new members

I have been unable to post since last Monday my dd had her 2nd baby boy and we have been very busy and I was looking after the 2 year old & maintaining the house/cooking etc. But all is well and everyone doing great.

So food hasn't been too bad but I missed my Tops meeting last week.
Over a 3 week period I gained 2# (could have been worse)

So, I see some of you are doing the new WW programme. I did a few ww programes (where you counted the fruit & then when you didn't) over a few years.
So this last change - what is the difference?

All - keep warm & good luck at the scales.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:08 AM   #19  
Less of a Better Me

Briefly:

WW is now using SmartPoints instead of PointsPlus. SmartPoints are calculated based upon calories, saturated fat, sugar and protein. Basically they figure out the base SmartPoints based upon calorie, then the more saturated fat and sugar, the points go up. The more protein the points go down.

So two foods of the same calories can wildly differ in points. The idea behind this is WW wants to encourage healthier eating. So lots of foods that are high in sugar or saturated fat are much higher in points while 3 ounces of a chicken breast (no skin) would be 1 SmartPoint.

Fruits are still 0 points as are non-starchy veggies.

For me, I had 26 daily points on PointsPlus and everyone got 49 weekly points. Now the weekly points and daily points vary with your age, gender, weight and height. Now I get 30 daily points (the minimum) and I get 28 weekly points.

I like the new program a lot, but I was already eating low added sugar and low saturated fat so I haven't really changed much about how I eat. It is more adjusting to how the points are spread out. For people who ate a lot of sugar or saturated fat, some of the increases in points can be really shocking. For example, a nonfat frozen yogurt (but it had plenty of sugar!) that I used to eat literally doubled in points. You can still eat those kinds of things, just not a lot of them.

The concept is that WW is not just focused on weight loss. Of course, that is important, but they are also wanting us to eat healthier while doing it.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #20  

Hi turtles

Koshka - thank you for the information. I have always thought WW to have a good programme but I got tired of every week for the last 10 minutes of meeting they were pushing new products. I still follow the pointsplus but go to Tops ($10/month) for accountability.

So - how is everyone doing this week. I have been getting in some walks with the dog & this a.m. was super cold.

The other grandma is spending this week with us, so will be nice to have
an extra pair of hands with me coming back to work.

Keep warm!

Last edited by bandit2; 01-19-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #21  
Less of a Better Me

I have often thought that if I had to pick an alternative I would do TOPS. I am lifetime on WW and it doesn't cost me anything so I do that, but I really like the TOPS model as well.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #22  
Chick

Gail,
Many congratulations on the second baby. What excitement. You must be exhausted taking care of grandbaby number 1 and the house. You're a good good person and honestly gaining 2# is fantastic considering the work and stress with it all. So glad your daughter and baby are fine. How lovely.

I had my WI today and was down a bit, so I'm heading in the right directions. I think many people who follow the new WW plan will lose weight since they make eating high sugar and high fat foods very "expensive" in smartpoints. It's a wise move. Certainly more like a "diet", but also much more likely to result in weight loss. Good luck to all.
Judy
Itryharder
234.6/178.2/170 and thinner
Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #23  

Hi turtles

Thank you for the congrats - he is lovely.

I "turtled" at my Thurs meeting, but really need to see some of these
pounds drop.

Judy - congrats on your loss last week & sounds like the new WW programme will be good. Tempted to go back - will see, for now will
just keep on keeping on (as you say)

I can't believe the winter we have had so far - super, duper for driving.
We got abit of snow & since it has been cold, all is white but roads are dry.
So best of everything.
I seen on the news the storm down in the States & that is more like we
get at times. So hope all of you are safe & staying warm.

Did lots of cooking over weekend - chicken casserole, stuffed spaghetti squash, 2 banana breads and a beef stew. Tonight making chicken curry &
stickey chicken plus rice to have on hand. Trying to pre-cook since my dd
is still sore from baby etc.
I am off 2 extra days this & next week to help out - so busy times, but
good I can do that.

All - take care
Old 01-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #24  
Chick

We got the crazy weather you usually have in Canada, Bandit. Looking at 2' of snow, but the roads are clear and we're able to get out and about.

Smart of you to do so much cooking. You are a lifesaver for your daughter and her little family.

I am helping out my dd too since she works hard. She is looking to lose weight, so I gather ingredients in a zip lock bag for her freezer. She likes me to make smoothies for her. I freeze them whole and she puts them into her blender on the way to work. So far so good. I've also made a batch of salads for her for the work week. She makes her healthy snack bags up and that way she can have a regular dinner and lose weight.

I am getting back on track today. Had a tough 6weeks and it is so easy to gain quickly once I go off track. Weight is up, but I know I can get it off again. I can't bemoan what weight I would have been if I had done better. All I can do is start from here and do my very best.

Wishing you all luck in your weight loss endeavors. This little group means a lot to me!
Judy
Itryharder
234.6/178.8/170and thinner
Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #25  

Hi turtles

Judy - great tips for helping your daughter, we can all use.

I was down 2# at Tops Thurs evening, so very happy with that.
Trying to get in more exercise & of course, chasing a 2 years old & walking has to help. Plus this week we went swimming again on Friday & I got in 10 laps before helping with the 2 year old.

All - here's to staying on track & drinking more water this week.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #26  
Chick

Bravo Gail!!!!!! Weigh to go.

Being down 2# at Tops is wonderful. Especially with all you're juggling. Good for you. Keep up the good work. Swimming and All good.

Hoping Dee can rejoin us soon and the other dieters we have met along the way will chime in too. Gail, I really feel we can both reach goal this year.
It's only February and we have many good food and exercise days ahead of us to be totally successful.

I lost 3.4# this week. As you know, I was heading in the wrong direction. I still need to knock off a little more than 3# to get back to where I was mid-December. An awful lot of things happened in my little family. Some good, some not so good, but onward and downward is what works for me. i finally got my head on straight this week and ate much closer to the plan that works for me. Lean protein at every meal with fresh vegetables or fruit help me to lose weight. It's a stringent program so when I go off, it's difficult to get back on. Doing the best I can and sending good vibes to all the Turtles.

Itryharder
Judy
234.6/175.6/170 and thinner

Last edited by Itryharder; 02-03-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #27  

Hi turtles - we were in a deep freeze last week, then it warmed up, now we have snow - but not complaining. We have been very lucky this winter.

Been busy with the babies but loving it as well.
Had some social times with the ladies & that was nice.

Was up .75# last week but I know that was from taking cold medicine, but
not taking it now so hoping will be back down this week.

All - keep safe & warm.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #28  
Chick

Hoping you are feeling better, Gail.

Food not good here. Too many interruptions and too many excuses on my part. Will do better tomorrow.
Sending : to all the Turtles.
judy
Old 02-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #29  

Morning, turtles

Judy - hang in there, you are doing great. New day!

I am feeling better and have been doing pretty good. Most days getting out with the dog for a walk before I go to work. Nice way to start the day.
I have been trying to eat fewer carbs & more protein with lots of veggies. Just trying to make better choices & substitute unhealthy snacks with
something better.

All - we are suppose to be getting another blast of snow tonight but hoping we miss most of it.

Good luck at the scales!
Old 02-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #30  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Gail, thanks for the upbeat comments. I went to my WW mtg. today, but decided not to WI. TAlked to one of my friends about my struggles and she helped me think more
positively. So, food is good for now.
Gail, so glad you are getting out with the dog for Weigh to go! Keep up the good work. I hope we both miss the predicted snow.
Good luck to all the Turtles. Losing weight may be hard, but growing out of pretty clothes is harder. Let's all keep on keepin' on!
Judy
Itryharder
234.6/?/170and thinner