Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 09:46 AM   #1  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Wednesday's Thread

Oh my goodness, I almost title the thread Thursday's Thread... I have had the worst trouble keeping my days straight this week.

Anyway, just starting the thread, hope we have a busy day today!!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:50 AM   #2  
One Sick Puppy

Talking Good Morning!!

Well, my mood has improved since yesterday. How is everyone else's mood? Hopefully also greatly improved.

Great, I started the thread and then started a post and now I don't have anything to talk about. I'll stop back in later, OK?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #3  
One Sick Puppy

Oh, one quick question (because I desperately NEED another workout video in my collection), what Firm tapes do you do, Laura? And which ones did you buy, Cuba? I searched on Amazon.com and am totally lost as far as which one to get...
Old 08-06-2003, 10:37 AM   #4  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Good Morning, all. I probably won't post much today. Aaron was up all night, therefore, so was I. Dish Network guy is coming to install a satellite, and then I go get the door handle I broke off my van replaced. Exciting.

Jess, I keep thinking it's Thursday too. But if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride, right?

K, I'm off to lay on the couch and try not to fall asleep.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:44 AM   #5  

I probably won't be posting much either today - it's been a total bummer so far and it's still early! I got a speeding ticket on the way to work today This afternoon I have to go to the dentist and get my tooth fixed, and it's going to cost me like 1300 up front. My insurance will reimburse me a few hundered, but I do not have the cash to pay for this (and now for this ticket!!). I am totally fatting out of my clothes, I have a big party Saturday night and the only dress I have, I can't fit into anymore. Well, I'm not trying to bum everyone out, but that's my story.....
Old 08-06-2003, 11:21 AM   #6  
Started IP 1/8/13

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone

Not too much happening with me either...

I did make it to the gym last night and the store and to move a carload to the new apt.... fun fun ... One of my new neighbors came up and offered to help me unload my car, which was nice, didn't even know him and he just offered to help. Makes me think I'm going to like this new area if people are all like that. And it's next to a walking trail that runs through town.

jayne - sounds like a fun night - hope your day goes better

lexxy - i hate those speeding tickets! and they always ask if you had a reason, makes me wish i was one of those people who could lie or cry their way out of one...

hey jess glad your mood's improved

back to work -
Old 08-06-2003, 11:28 AM   #7  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Morning ladies! I am back to work for the first time in what feels like forever. I am feeling much better than I did on Monday. Yesterday was that conference on Obesity, Hormones and Apetite, that I told you about. It was so good. It explained our need for food very scientifically. I learned a lot and am basically going to begin to eat 5-7 small meals/day, add WHOLE grains (we found out that have of the things advertised as "whole grains" are not) and eat the recommended 9-15 servings (1/2 cup) of veggies/fruits per day. She also explained a million other things but I am starting off with this. I still want to come here and post and eventually I think I will incorporate this WITH WWer
s but for now I am going to make these small changes. She also explains that exercise is a small part of what our daily ACTIVITY should be. She discussed pedometers and just trying to Up our steps. If you walk around your office 1/day do it 3x you know just stuff like that.

Oh and Jayne regarding yesterday's question this woman (chemist, neurologist, dietician) indicated that this is overly simplistic. She was great and has a book called Stop Gaining Weight. She indicates that this theory about just not gaining is a new initiative by Dr's accross the world b/c if the US continues to rise in obesity at the rate in which it has in the past 15 years we will all be obese by the year 2020. It was so informative and other than that not much else is new here!
Old 08-06-2003, 12:31 PM   #8  
A Yankee in Virginia

Becky: 9-15 servings of veggies and fruits? That seems like so much! And tell us more about the whole grains ... I've been trying to only eat whole grains, like with rice and pasta ... do you know what brands say they are but really aren't? One thing I wouldn't recommend: Organic whole grain penne. I tried it and it tasted like paste. Maybe it was the brand, and i can't remember what it was, but BLEH!

I haven't done so well food-wise this week, though, and it's that fun time of the month, so I'm worried I might show a gain tomorrow at WW. I haven't been to the gym all week, either, so I'm going to go tonight. It's the eating out that gets to me! And last night, DH and I had dinner at some friends and while the dinner itself was healthy and I didn't overindulge, I had about 3 glasses of wine and lots of bread!

On that note, it's time for lunch!
Old 08-06-2003, 01:23 PM   #9  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Kim~ I know can you believe the fruit and veggie thing. I was surprised. Keep in mind though that is 1/2 cup servings so for instance a bunch of grapes is more than a 1/2 a cup. As far a whole grains she said that although a lot of these producsts do have whole grain flour and such that has been broken down so much that it doesn't have the large amount of fiber that you get from WHOLE grain. For instance Triscuit crackers ingred. read that they have whole grain while my honey nut cheerios said that they have whole grain (enriched)flour etc. etc. The broken down flour is still not "bad" for you but her point is that the WHole grains are so much more filling and more full of fiber b/c it is not broken down. Does that make sense???? Oh and she said that minute rice and those brands are very broken down grains also. The brown rice that we should be having should take a long time to cook. She even said with oatmeal t hat you should make it from the Quick oats and not the bagged individuals that I like. IT is just a different way of thinking I guess. Part of what she is saying too is that carbs get such a bad rap yet the food pyramids lists them as neccessary and the problem is that people eat the BAD carbs and need the whole grain carbs.

I just went on my lunch and stocked up on fruits and veggies at the open market.

Last edited by Grace, Grace; 08-06-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:52 PM   #10  

man that whole good carb/bad carb thing just confuses me!! lol well i am in a much better mood today. i have been journaling and i am planning my food a day in advance and writing it in my journal so i will stick to it and it is working. cross your fingers for the weekend. i didn't make it to the gym because my sister wasn't feeling well but we are going tonight. here is what i have cooking at home...i'll let you know how it tastes tomorrow:
** Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken **

Serving Size : 4

4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves

1 package reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix

1 cup salsa

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 cup light sour cream

Spray the crockpot with cooking spray. Add the chicken breasts. Sprinkle with Taco Seasoning. Top with salsa. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

When ready to serve, remove the chicken from the pot. Place about 2 T cornstach in a small amount of water. Stir well. Stir the cornstarch mixture into salsa sauce. Stir in 1/4 cup of sour cream.
Source:

"Adapted from recipe at WW web site ww.weightwatchers.com)"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 170 Calories; 2g Fat (10.3% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 70mg Cholesterol; 403mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Makes 4 servings at 3 points each.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:43 PM   #11  
A Yankee in Virginia

I bought some whole grain brown rice that takes forever to cook. But it is yummy. Sometimes I cook it with a little garlic, some mushrooms and carrots, and some veggie broth. It's a recipe my sister came up with it and it's really very good. Filling and healthy. I find that cooking "real" rice takes a little skill, and I'm not always so good at it.

Amber: That recipe sounds pretty good.

And now, a personal problem. I have cramps and they HURT! I haven't had cramps this bad in years, but I suspect that it's bc I went off the pill two months ago (part of the getting healthy for baby thing). I had to leave work early yesterday because my tummy hurt so much. I've been taking Tylenol for Women but it's just taking the edge off, not making the cramps completely go away.

Sigh. How am I EVER going to handle labor? I'm a wuss!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:10 PM   #12  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Kim~ NAPROSYN (NAPROXYN/GENERIC) This is found in aleve but I take 500 mg of the naprosyn. It is the only thing that takes the edge off for me now. I hope that you feel better soon!

can I go home yet??????????
Old 08-06-2003, 03:25 PM   #13  
A Yankee in Virginia

Becky, you can go home if I can go home!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:27 PM   #14  
Started IP 1/8/13

Height: 5'7"

Becky - I've been hearing a lot about the whole-grain thing too. I think I'm going to have to read more on that because I always think I'm doing good when I eat "wheat" products - but I use the minute rice that you learned isn't any better than white! Thanks for the info!

I've heard that the whole-grain foods take more work to digest, therefore expending more calories, and this is why they are better than the refined products, and probably also why you feel full longer. Is this what you found as well or is there more to it?

Becky - sorry can't help you much, i don't get cramps much but when i do motrin ibuprofin gets rid of them

Amber - supper sounds excellent, let us know how it tastes!
Old 08-06-2003, 04:34 PM   #15  

kim-i feel for you. i get BAD cramps EVERY month! the only thing that works for me is ALOT of midol and a heating pad on the belly (and back sometimes). the heat really helps. i hope you feel better soon!
Closed Thread