Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 08:19 AM   #1  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Default FRIDAY!!!!! Thank God you're here!!!!

Can you tell how much I needed Friday this week?
BBIAM to post...
Old 06-20-2003, 08:28 AM   #2  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Ok, so I have been MIA lately, I know....our computer hasn't been exactly "right" and our email hasn't been functioning well either. I did do some logging on and lurking from work here and there, but I'm finally doing a proper post today.

As far as work goes, I'm so ready to be done with these classes. RIght now I'm teaching a four week session to 3 and 4 year olds, half of whom don't speak English, and the other half of whom did very poorly on their kindergarten screening and were flagged as needing some extra help. It's been so incredibly challenging. I have a lot of Spanish-speakers in both sections, and about the only Spanish I know is banyo (bathroom). I also have a lot of Somali children, and I know NOTHING in Somali. So I try to explain to these kiddos what we're doing, and they just kind of look at me blankly and go over to play with the toys. But it's over next week, and this experience is really good for me as a teacher, right? Yeah, at least that's what I keep telling myself!

Our weekend seems like it will be pretty fun. On Saturday we plan on taking Aaron to the zoo. I'm really looking forward to getting outside for the day. I think he will enjoy seeing all of the animals, but I also think that Mr. Entitled, as we refer to him when we're not calling him "His Royal Highness" will throw fits when he discovers that he's not allowed to climb into the enclosures and do whatever he wants in there. The joys of toddlerhood...having all the confidence in the world and no idea that you aren't capable of doing most of the things you want to do. I wonder how we would succeed on this whole weight loss thing if we just had their confidence.

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's weekend plans! Post them, please...I'm nosey!
Old 06-20-2003, 08:47 AM   #3  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Morning Jayne! I love the zoo! Dh and I went there with my DS and her DH a couple of months ago and had so much fun! As far as wanting to crawl into the cages it is not just your son. I think DH and DS's DH would have done the same if possible They were climbing on rocks etc "to take pictures" DS and I just laughed at them.

Jayne, as far as wknd plans. When I get home today I have to do some serious cleaning b/c DH and I are dogsitting for friends for a week and we may need some clean clothes to take. I am seriously behind on housework but DH will pitch in and I am sure we will get that accomplished. This evening we are demolishing his aunt's back porch and hauling that away. He is a teacher so he picks up misc. summer jobs and I offered to help him on this one b/c I thought....What fun stress release and good exercise too! He thinks I am insane!

Tomorrow night DH and I may go and see Alex & Emma. I am excited and it is soooo my turn to pick the flick after Matrix and Wrong Turn. Other than that excitement I would like to lay out on Saturday and then Sunday we will have normal church festivities.

Well I have a TON to accomplish at work today and the sooner I finish the sooner I leave!

BTW thanks for all of the encouragement re: house and MIL. I am actually over it. I think I was feeling competition or something and the claws came out We told our realtor we are serious about the house but we wanted to think on it for a few days. BBL!
Old 06-20-2003, 10:49 AM   #4  

Morning girls,

I've been lurking around lately, just depressed that I can't seem to make diet and exercise a priority, even though I know if I was asked what I would like most, my immediate answer would be to be in great shape. Anyway, I'm trying not to harp on it too much, but I got on the scale this morning and was up 4 lbs from last week. I have no idea how that's possible. Yesterday I didn't eat too great, but I had a cold in the beginning of the week and was living on mostly soup. Grr.

I don't really have any exciting weekend plans, it's kind of a bummer. 3 days ago they were telling us it was supposed to be 80 and sunny all weekend, now it looks like all rain. There goes laying out by the pool. I guess I'll be spending it cleaning out my apartment. I noticed last week that there was mold growing on a chair and ottoman of mine, then I noticed it on some shoes and pants in one of my closets. I'm totally freaking because from what I am hearing, once it gets in the house it's impossible to get out and it ruins all your stuff. Trust me, it's not like I'm living in filth, I guess there is just a moisture problem. I bought a dehumidifier, but that can only prevent new mold from forming, won't get rid of the stuff that's already around. I also left my back window of my car cracked last night and of course it monsooned. I had probably 2 inches of water in the back floor of my car. Lovely. I soaked most of it up with towels, but I don't know what else to do since it is again pouring outside.

Sorry to make this such a ***** session! There are a couple pluses, there's a new guy I'm interested in, although I don't know if he is just looking for something physical or what. It's kind of imtimidating because he's in awesome shape, works out all the time....and then there's me. We were supposed to have a real date this past Tues. but he had to cancel - and hasn't rescheduled. We saw each other Wed. at the bar, but haven't been out just the 2 of us. Sunday I will probably get together with the girls and watch Sex in the City.

Jayne, have a great time at the zoo, I should go sometime when I'm just sitting around and hang with the pandas!

Becky, I hope the house works out. A few of my friends are going through that search now, and it's so much work.

I'll try to be around more, I promise!
Old 06-20-2003, 12:09 PM   #5  
A Yankee in Virginia

First, this is funny. Then I'll post.

> > > Why Men Are Just Happier People ...
> > >
> > > What do you expect from such simple creatures?
> > > Your last name stays put.
> > > The garage is all yours.
> > > Wedding plans take care of themselves.
> > > Chocolate is just another snack.
> > > You can be president.
> > > You can wear a white T-shirt to a water park.
> > > Car mechanics tell you the truth.
> > > The world is your urinal.
> > > You never have to drive to another gas station because this one's just too icky.
> > > Same work, more pay.
> > > Wrinkles add character.
> > > Wedding dress - $5000; tux rental - $100.
> > > People never stare at your chest when you're talking to them.
> > > The occasional well-rendered belch is practically expected.
> > > New shoes don't cut, blister, or mangle your feet.
> > > One mood ALL the time.
> > > Phone conversations are over in 30 seconds flat.
> > > You know stuff about tanks.
> > > A five-day vacation requires only one suitcase.
> > > You can open all your own jars.
> > > You get extra credit for the slightest act of thoughtfulness.
> > > If someone forgets to invite you, he or she can still be your friend.
> > > Your underwear is $8.95 for a three-pack.
> > > Everything on your face stays its original color.
> > > Three pairs of shoes are more than enough.
> > > You don't have to stop and think of which way to turn a nut on a bolt.
> > > You almost never have strap problems in public.
> > > You are unable to see wrinkles in your clothes.
> > > The same hairstyle lasts for years, maybe decades.
> > > You don't have to shave below your neck.
> > > Your belly usually hides your big hips.
> > > One wallet and one pair of shoes, one color, all seasons.
> > > You can "do" your nails with a pocketknife.
> > > You have freedom of choice concerning growing a mustache.
> > > You can do Christmas shopping for 25 relatives, on December 24, in 45
> > > minutes
Old 06-20-2003, 01:38 PM   #6  
Eve's Mom

Hi Jayne – how are you? What are you teaching? Music? I love toddlerhood too – and when they are about 4 and start to be all independent, its cute too.

Weekend plans…I WAS going to go camping in Kananaskis, but its pouring rain all weekened and cold. So I am working today instead and its no fun – there is so much work to do, its ridiculous.
WW-wise, I WI yesterday and thought I’d be down significantly, having had a good week – was up 1.6. I was up what I lost last week. I guess it could be TOM – due Sunday. But nonetheless, I was disappointed. BUT I figured I’d press on so I managed to stay within range (25points) yesterday dispite the disappointment.

Becky- I am totally behind on housework too – but when do we have time? I guess I could do it tonight, but I am so tired from the week – I flew out on Wed for an open house – left at 7am, got back at 11:30pm then worked 9 hours yesterday. I am tired today, to say the least.

Hey Lexxy – sorry to hear you are so bummed out!! Don’t worry about venting, we all do it here. The mould – what is up with that? Do you live in a humid area? Its so dry here we are more in danger of having our furniture crack. Let us know how it goes with the new boy!

Hey Kim! I read your last few posts – I am in the same boat as you girl- the only one I have to blame is me, but lets not focus on blame. Lets look on the bright side – that we CAN lose weight like normal people, that we don’t need unhealthy drugs or surgery. We just need to be like Dorothy – she didn’t need the shoes – it was in her all the time.

Well, back to work – better get more done for the weekend – BLAH.

TTFN
Old 06-20-2003, 02:44 PM   #7  
Proud Canadian

Hi all, I'm still catching up from missing half the day yesterday so I haven't had much of a chance to catch up. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
I'll be back later if I have time to post properly.
KT
Old 06-20-2003, 02:50 PM   #8  
A Yankee in Virginia

OK, I'm back.

Belle: Love the Dorothy analogy. I'm going to remember that one. Maybe I'll wear something ruby red everyday to remind me not to eat! Hey, that might not be a bad idea. I've heard one way to stop biting your nails is to wear a rubber band around your wrist and snap it every time you go for the nails. Maybe this can be like that.

I did excellently yesterday. Stayed in my point range, even, and went to the gym and did 10 minutes on the treadmill (warm up)and 20 min. on the elliptical machine (the one that kicks my butt).

Jayne: I love that you call your son Mr. Entitled. That's too funny!

Lexxy: Is is ever going to stop raining in Virginia? I think my feet have begun to web.

Hi Becky! I'm glad you're feeling better about the house situation.

Weekend plans: Um, none? Actually, I don't know of any. DH works weekends, as you know, but I'll get to see him less than usual because he has a 2-11 p.m. shift tomorrow, and while he doesn't go into until 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, he's playing in a golf tournament with his dad beforehand. So I pretty much won't see him, which pretty much sucks.

Well, I'm going to go try and do work.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:14 PM   #9  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Belle - I don't know if something is wrong with my computer or what but I can't read half your post. Just little squiggles and dots here and there, and a sentence or two stuck in the middle. Anyone else, is this just me or what? I'd think I was losing my mind, but everyone else's posts are fine...

Lexxi, you sound completely frustrated at the moment. There are mildewcides out there, if you can find them, that will kill the mildew and oxyclean will get out mildew stains. Hope that helps!

Very funny, Kim. My FIL emailed that to me and I passed it around because I thought it was hysterica.

Becky, I have a MIL that is kind of like that too. I know why it makes us so angry -- it's condescending. We're the children and they're the adults and we really don't know much at all, so we need them to lead us around. At least that's the vibe my MIL puts off. She even addresses us as "children" still...makes me just grit my teeth! I'm just glad hubby understands your frustrations, or it would be even more tense yet!

Well, Aaron is due to wake up from his nap soon and I want to get him out to the pool today. Dumpy little me in the land of Barbie Doll moms. But the more time I spend there, the less I have to sit around and think about what I could be nibbling on and just about every time I'm there, I find a stray golf ball or two (bonus!!!!).

See you ladies later!
Old 06-20-2003, 03:16 PM   #10  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Hey KT and Kim...I took way too long to do my post and missed yours.
Closed Thread