Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 06:29 PM   #1  
Life Time 2001

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #220

Slavika: Diet looks kinda boring. But if its only for 3 days I guess it wouldnt be so bad. You had a great loss! I go for the bigger foods myself to. Like getting more for little points.

Marnie: Didnt take any pictures. Wasnt around long enough to I did post a web link and its here:

http://reservations.conventioncenter...10190910O.html

Ann: Have you tried the Low Carb Option for WW it might help. Its in Week 6 Booklet. Page 10. I do it when I need to lose a few. Works really well for me and comes off pretty fast.
8-10 points Protein
4-8 points Grains
2-4 fats
4-6 Milk
0-1 Fruits
Sometimes I tend to OD on the Carbs anyways.

Been a busy week. Must get going. Have to Work WW tonight.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:45 PM   #2  
Member Florida Chick

Unhappy Another Rainy Day

Slavika: Well, I decided to go for it and especially since my DH would go on it with me. He is always talking about wanting to lose some, but finds it hard to discipline himself. I do the best I can when I prepare meals, but it is the stuff he adds, like what he calls 'night lunch' with ice cream or cheese and crackers or chips, even tho' they are the baked ones. Or cookies. So at least this is getting him started a bit. Instead of ice cream, I got frozen yogurt. That came out as 3 points. It seems to satisfy something. I'll let you know how we make out.

Lily: When I come off this, I will go to the book 6 as you suggested and see if I can keep it up, if I do lose something. The Dr. put me on a different Blood pressure med. and I don't know exactly how it will work. The first one seemed to make it easier to gain. So we'll see.

High Everyone. Hope you have a great weekend. Ann
Old 06-20-2003, 02:40 PM   #3  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Lily boring is right. The first two days weren't too bad but by the third day, that was sure enough of that. Lily I noticed that Glenda posted, but on our last thread. Could you do your magic and move her post over here?
DH and I have decided that when he retires (which will likely be in the next year and a half) we will stay here, in this house. Neither one of us wants to go into a condo, although it would probably be easier since we would like to go away for the winter months to Texas or wherever. Ann we got prices from a friend who has a place in one of the trailer parks in Texas and he told us that to buy a nice two bedroom/2 bath mobile home (16 ft by 60 ft.) fully furnished, would cost about $32,000.00 US. To have our mobile home on the lot in one of those parks would be about $1500.00 US per year. Do these figures sort of sound like what we would have to pay in Florida, or is Florida more expensive? If you can't put your hands on the the information quickly don't go through any trouble, I could probably find something on the internet. Now that the decision is made to stay here, we are going to put up a new roof on the house/garage and have the outside painted. We also have to put in a new furnace. I want to have a new kitchen counter and back splash put in. Do any of you have a ceramic tile counter or back splash? Then there is some other stuff that has to be done. I have two rocker type chairs by my bay window that have to be recovered and also my dining room chairs should be done. I was thinking of doing the dining room chairs myself, since I have gained all this upholstering experiience but the seat cushions have a nice cording around them and I kind of like that look and know from past experience it it more difficult then just wrapping fabric around a seat form.
Oye vey, I'm tired already, just thinking about all that has to be done. Do you all remember about 1-1/2 years ago when I had my main bathroom done. Well on Sunday I was running the water in the still new Crane white sink and I heard this crackle noise and a pop and could not believe that a chip came out of the bottom of the sink about the size of a dime. Well now, that sure looked attractive. I contacted that people where I bought the sink and they also installed it and apparently Crane only has a 1 year warranty but they agreed to give me a new sink, (calling it customer service). I would have to pay to have it installed. Well I thought that was fair, so the installer will pick up the sink and put it in for me tomorrow morning. Thanks for "listening" to my rather long story, now I must find something to eat for lunch that will not undo all my good efforts. Trudy and I bought those Tuna Snack Packs at Costco (have you all seen them) and I think I will have that.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:14 PM   #4  

Slavika it's a bummer about the sink. Can I send a couple of chairs up your way to recover? Going to check out that fad diet and see what it's all about. Have you all had the recipe for the creamsicle cake? I'll find it and post it later.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:19 PM   #5  

Here are some recipes I got from a WW puter group that I belong to. My sister made the soup and didn't roast the veggies as long and at little lower temp. Said it was good. I made the raspberry balsamic chicken and could have slurped the plate. Used jam with seeds and can't see why it called for seedless. Haven't made the cake but it sure sounds good.

Roasted Vegetable Soup

Not an "exact science". Don't worry, it'll be good.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. (Helps if you have AC in the summer!)

I took 2 jelly roll style cookie sheets (the kind with short sides).
Spray with Pam.

As far as vegies, use whatever you like. I wanted it to be 0 points, so
this is what I used.

Coarsely chop
2 large onions (I used yellow)
3 stalks celery
3 zucchini
about 2 cups yellow summer squash
1-2 cups baby carrots, cut in half
1-2 cups shredded green cabbage
1-2 cups mushrooms, quartered
1 cup fresh green beans, about 1" pieces

Spread out vegies on the 2 pans. Spray with olive oil or Pam. Bake for
25 minutes, stir, and bake for 25 more minutes.

Put 1 qt. chicken broth (that's all I had, doubled would be good) in
stockpot. If the chicken broth isn't salted, then salt the vegies while
still spread out on pan. Add to broth. Add

1 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes (regular would be fine)
about 1/4 c. chopped basil (I used sweet & thai)
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano
fresh garlic (you decide how much)

Heat through.

The veggies are so sweet that if you only added salt & pepper it would
be great.

Still 0 points. I broke up Trader Giotto's (Trader Joe's) Crostinni
Italian Crackers, the rosemary kind, in the soup. I've had 2 large bowls
and had to share with you. You'll never eat that water logged vegie soup
again!!

Raspberry-Balsamic Chicken

[I doubled the sauce recipe.]

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
cooking spray
1/2 cup red onion; chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, fresh, minced, or; 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt; divided
4 each (4 oz) skin/boneless chicken breast halves
1/3 cup raspberry preserves, seedless; see note
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over
medium-high heat until hot. Add onion; saute 5 minutes. Combine thyme
and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sprinkle over chicken. Add chicken to skillet;
saute 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken and keep
warm. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, preserves,
vinegar and pepper to the skillet, stirring constantly until the
preserves melt. Spoon raspberry sauce over chicken.

Other fruit preserves,
such as apricot, blackberry, or peach, will also work in this recipe.

---------------------------------------

NYC Nutrition Analysis (per serving or yield unit
calories=218.2; WW Pts=4.44

creamsicle cake
estimated POINTS per serving | 3 points per cup
course | Desserts

Ingredients

1 angle food cake
1 pkg. sugar free orange jello
1 cup hot water
2 cups orange sherbet
12 oz. light cool whip
small can mandiran orage sections

Instructions

break cake into pieces and place in bowl. In a separate bowl combine jello with
hot water stir until dissolved add the orange sherbet stir until melted.
refrigerate until thickened, fold in cool whip until well blended, fold
together with cake pieces and add orange sections on top.

Special Notes

This recipe was given to me at a meeting and quickly became a family favorite.
I,m now asked to bring it to all of our family parties. It is a very light yet
satisfying dessert, and only 3 pts. per cup
Old 06-20-2003, 07:04 PM   #6  
Net browser

Hi Peggy
Thanks for posting the recipes. They all look good. I will probably make the cake before the soup. hee hee
Old 06-20-2003, 08:11 PM   #7  

G'day all,

Here is Glenda's post that inadvertently was on our previous thread.

Everyone, I hesitate to think about the fad diet because, as you said, Slavika, I worry about headaches and being able to think. But 3 days! That is not a long time. I might have to think about it. You did so well! 4#'s is wonderful! Slavika, I just love your stories about your grandkids. The little Princess on the board is just a little dream girl, blowing you kisses!

Lily - I sure hope that fish was stupen-dilly-icious! $26? My DH would be in the ER from the fall to the floor! And I might be on top of him! I hope the ambience was great!

Maria - you are really getting a taste of the world! Why don't they send you our way sometime? We would love to meet you in the real world.

Well, guys, I am doing the up one pound, down 1.5. Such a weird dance! I walk about 10-12 miles a week too. Heard from my bone density test and I need to add weight training, but I am holding my own for the most part. We are going to Branson, MO July 7th. I cannot wait! All the family is going too. Hope we all have fun--there will be about 35 of us in one motel.

Can't remember anything the rest of you said. That "not older, but better" doesn't apply to me.
Glenda
Old 06-20-2003, 08:33 PM   #8  

G'day all,

I am back on-line in my motel room

After a very frustrating few weeks, this morning dh and a very clever chap from Telecom New Zealand worked out my problem and I can now access my emails, post here, etc.etc. As you can gather I am very thrilled.
I have found it very hard settling this time and have been feeling quite miserable. The weather is very bleak, it has rained almost non-stop since arriving here and I just don't want to be here
I am booked to go home on July 4, dh is going back late July and I was going to delay my flight till then but as we do not really know any dates we have decided that I stick to returning on July 4, I could be stuck here on my own!!!

I have enjoyed reading all your posts and I am pleased I can now post back.

Glenda I would love to come and meet you all in the flesh, believe me it will happen one day. We have enough frequent flying points for 2 return flights to New York. Our plan is when we finally retire to go to America and drive the old Rout 66. I think I have mentioned that before and from memory I thought you lived somewhere along the way. To think I joined 3FC in October 1999 (same as Slavika) and I think I started posted here about 2 years or something ago, before you know it we will be retired and knocking on your doors for afternoon tea or whatever. A drink of champagne would be nice

The three day diet is worth giving a go and to get a bit of a kick start.
The 'three steps forward and 2 steps backward' is so annoying but at least none of us are throwing the towel in.

Slavika I know what you mean, there is upholstering and upholstering. My dining room chairs would be relatively simple but my lounge suite in the family room is difficult. The back cushions are attached to the back. I am going to 'study' it again when I get home but I am not hopeful. What a shame about your sink I guess it is good that they are replacing it but at the same time you would expect a sink to last a little longer than 18 months!

Its lovely to be 'back' again and will talk to you all tomorrow!
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 06-20-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:21 AM   #9  
Member Florida Chick

Unhappy Another rainy day!

Good Morning:
Maria: I can identify with the rain, rain. We are getting waterlogged. And we aren't nearly as bad as so many places that are experiencing a lof to flooding. Glad you are up and running now. Will you be able to stay at home after this trip, or is it still up in the air as to where your DH will be sent next? route 66 is no where near Florida.

Slavika: We are on day 3 of the diet. It is a bit boring, as you say, and tuna is not my DH's favorite thing but he is going along with
it. So far he has lost 3# and I have lost 2# but we have made up our minds that we are going to really continue on the low end of the WW points and not lose the momentum. I have substituted a couple of fruits, point value the same. Because I had just bought peaches and nectarines and pears, and I didn't want them to spoil. Other than that, we have stuck to the plan.

I are some possibility figures. About the cost of a house, here in our park, it varies as to whether it is already furnished, or partially furnished. And they havae gone for as low as $15,000 to as high as $40,000. Some times it depends if the present owner is really in a hurry to sell or not. And also whether the house is on the lake or not. Also the rent depends on the location of the house. Lake front is higher. So here there are a lot of variables.

Sounds like you have quite a house project in mind. Maddening about your new sink. That must have been defective to start with. Glad your contractor honored his responsibility.

Peggy: For 3 days this plan is not too bad. You can stand anything for aabout that long, especially when you know you can start makeing changes and additions soon. Thanks for the recipes. They sound really good, especially the cake. I have always liked chocolate with orange, so would be tempted to shave a little chocolate over the mandarin oranges. :

Glenda: I know what you mean about the yoyo up and down problem. It certainly is frustrating. That is why I decided to try this 3day fad diet just to see if it would give me a jump start.
we finished breakfast today,fruit cheese and crackers, and my DH said," now we can eat breakfast after this appetizer" But he is sticking to it.

Hi Trudy, Marnie, Ash What's new with you?

Now it is time to go and do my Saturday cleaning. Have a great weekend all. Ann
Old 06-21-2003, 01:53 PM   #10  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: So glad they are going to replace the sink. Thats is good Customer service if it was only in warranty for a year

Peggy: That Creamsicle cake sounds good! Have you made it? Think I will get the stuff to make it. Yummmmmm

Maria: Good to have you back! Sorry its raining so much. Must make it harder on you to. I know I get bored when you cant do alot when all it does is rain. Sure you will be glad to get back home.

Ann: Sounds like you are going good! 2 pounds is great so far.
How many days have you been on it?

Well its beautiful out today. Gonna go for a walk and work in the yard.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:19 PM   #11  

G'day all,

Switch my computer on first thing this morning and yes I am still on-line!!!

Ann We will just have to make a small detour via Florida, if we are all this way I wouldn't want to miss anyone.
Good for you with the 3 day diet. Your dh's comment is just what my dh would say, nice entree but where is the main course!
I have also decided yesterday to be more disciplined, I had such a good result with 'Light & Easy' and I am now being totally stupid just because I cannot settle and the non-stop rain
I will only be home a short time, I think, until the next project. DH has been trying to convince the hierachy that he could be very productive at home doing certain projects, so who knows but I won't count on it.

Lily sounds lovely 'going to work in the yard'. DH has been told he MUST take some holidays. Once he comes home we will take some time off, get our front garden the way we want it and probably visit our dd in Melbourne for a few days. When I was home last, my spring bulbs were starting to peak, maybe this time I will be home to actually see them flower.

We are off to the 'hidden valley' today, a thermal area.
http://www.orakeikorako.co.nz/
It is very foggy at the moment which will probably mean that it will turn out to be a sunny day

Have a great day all,
Cheers
Maria
Old 06-23-2003, 09:11 AM   #12  
Member Florida Chick

Good Morning: Today we are seeing the sun for the first time in nearly a week. Not good for 'sunny Florida'.

these crash diets are fine, but as always if you don't make yourself be very strict the next day, gaining begins again. But I am convinced that I just have to stay on the low end of my points all the time and leave the carbs basically alone. Very hard for me as I like pasta and bread and potatoes. Maybe I'm a carb 'addict' I've heard there is such a thing.

I keep telling myself that going to Curves has made me build muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat.: Any excuse will do, I guess for just a weak mind as far as food goes.

Maria, hope the fog lifted and you had a sunny day. I'm looking forward to one, and getting back in the pool. There has been flooding around here, but we are fortunate, as we live on a bit of a hill and it all runs down. We actually picked the location for that reason.

Now I'm off to Curves. Will check in later today. Bye Ann
Old 06-23-2003, 06:06 PM   #13  

G'day all,

Another miserable day here, I have never seen so much rain
We had a lovely weekend and were very lucky weather wise.
We were invited on Sunday night for dinner at someone from dh's work. They have a 5 year appointment in NZ and decided to buy a house. The house is almost one hundred years old and in need of a bit of work. They both love doing up old homes. They shared their plans etc with us and it will be a beautiful home once restored. She is an artist and she is just so talented, some of her paintings were just outstanding!

My back/hip are playing up again and not making me all that good to be around
We are in a different room this time and the bed is very hard which adds to my problems. Only this week and then part of next week before I go home again and dh will follow 2 weeks later.
It is of course winter at home as well but on rainy days at least I could re-organise my linen cupboard etc.

Ann I think we are all terrific how we keep at it, some more succesful than others but we will get there in the end.
I like the sound of your 'curves' programme. I am seriously considering starting yoga when I get home. I have been intending to do it for a while but haven't gotten around to making the start.

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 06-24-2003, 08:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Hello all, I've been attempting to get in here and write almost everyday. Where DOES the time go?

The rottenest thing is that I was up 3 lbs yesterday at WW. It really plays havoc with my moods when this happens! Drat! Glenda, we're in the same boat - I think I'm losing and gaining the same 3 lbs!

Lily, thanks for the web link and the Low Carb option - I wasn't aware of that, either.

Ann, it's been raining here, too!It may be why I'm so down in the dumps - along with the weight gain.

Peggy, thanks for the recipes. I'm cutting and pasting them to put in a cookbook I have. You were good to post them. I especially want to try the roasted vegetable soup.

Maria, it sounds like you want to be home! I'm a home-body, too. Right now I'd like to be curled up in bed listening to the rain. Hope the back & hip subside soon.

Sorry this is such a mopey note - but it's what I'm feeling right now. I really helped to read all your messages.

Catch ya later. :Grouphug:

Marnie
Old 06-24-2003, 02:33 PM   #15  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

My computer has a problem and it is driving me crazy so my Godson who does computer repairs will be picking up my computer this afternoon so I will not be online for a bit. It's ok though because DH is starting a few days holidays and we wouldn't be around anyway.
Marnie this losing weight is a very difficult thing to do, and we are all so hard on ourselves. It will come off, just not as quickly as we would like.
Marie, I think this time you really do want to be at home, well it won't be too long.
Ann these crash diets only work I think for about a minute and half, and you have to be very very careful when you start eating again. I think just eating at the low end of our WW points for a couple of days and saving points for the BIG DEAL days might be the answer for me. It's just that there seems to be so MANY BIG DEAL days.
Speaking of BIG DEAL days, today is tea time ( I get to spend time with TRUDY) and I made a lower fat version of Rhubard Crisp and also some Rhubard Muffins. I tasted the crisp and it's really good, but I don't know if it's because I didn't cut the rhubarb small enough for the muffins or what, but I didn't think they were that great.
Well everybody, talk to you in about a weeks time.

Last edited by slavika; 06-24-2003 at 02:37 PM.
Closed Thread