Old 12-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #31  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, Cherry -- good to see you. Post even if you're not doing well. I am! I did NOT do well over the past week, and my pants are plenty tight as a result. Funny how that works! Brother left today; parents leave on Tuesday. Things should start getting back to normal soon.

Our Christmas was quiet and relatively peaceful. How was yours?

Back to work tomorrow for another 3-day week. I miss getting paid, but I'm not complaining -- I need the time off!
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #32  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Turtles,
Lauren and Cherry-----good to see you here and posting. I'm in the same boat you are. Even though the festivities were here and I was in charge of the food, somehow I binged for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the following day. Along the way I threw out the foods most egregious and today my dh and I are on the detox plan of a protein shake, salad for lunch with protein, and a nice vegetable plate with some type of protein for dinner. Then I'll have two pieces of fruit and call it a day! It's good to get some discipline back into my life. I'm looking forward to it since I don't like what I'm seeing on the scale at all. Last night I was over 200#, but this morning I'm not, thank goodness!

So, onward and downward! I know this will be a struggle, but I'm willing to put in the effort one day at a time.
Love, Judy
234.6/ugh/190 and deeper into onederland
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #33  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, Judy! Isn't it great how quickly it comes back on? NOT. Good for you, tossing that food! You'll be on your way back down in no time.

We've still got my folks with us, so there are still a few things in the house I'd like to see disappear. But most of it is gone. And no more baked stuff at the office, either, thank heavens. Scale is up and pants are tight!

The inspector comes today to look at the condo my folks are buying. If all goes well, they'll head home tomorrow to NC and start packing, then move back up here in early March. I'll be very happy to have them nearby -- and not staying in our house! Love to see them, but two weeks is a long time for house guests. My brother left yesterday.

I'm planning some scotch for New Year's Eve, and possibly pizza. Other than that, I'm back on the wagon. I'm eating extra fruit, which I find helps me get back on track. If I get too strict too quickly, it seems to backfire.

Well, time to go update the weight in my signature. Bleah!

EDIT: I just called and made an appointment with Curves for Thursday morning to sign back up again. Starting off 2010 right. I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited by LaurenH; 12-28-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #34  
Turtle Buddy

Hi!

I got done with my work earlier than usual so I thought I'd spend a bit of that extra time at home posting an update.

Cherry, it's nice to hear from you. I hope you'll be able to post more often as the holidays wind down.

Judy, you're doing well. You're doing what you need to do, which will result in reaching your goals.

Lauren, nice going, signing up for Curves for next year. You have a great plan for New Year's.

I'm doing pretty much what I planned. My biggest problem is estimating points when I have no idea how food was made. I'm doing my best and eating tiny portions of food I know is higher in calories. I'm done with the holiday weekend and back to my regular routine. I'm sticking to that until New Year's, when I'm cooking Julia's beef Bourguinon. I might have one other holiday thing to do. It all depends on whether my oldest son is coming New Year's or if we're doing a separate deal for the family.

Today I'm spending a few points on trying the rainbow popcorn I bought. I know it pops up white, but it's still cool. And I'm wondering whether it might not have as many unpopped kernels as the cheap stuff I usually buy.

So, we'll see how it all ends up this week when I do my weigh in.

Keep on turtlin'!
Lin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #35  
Chick

Good luck to us all! Drink lots of water, exercise at least a bit, and look forward to a year of good health.
Love to us all,
Judy
Old 12-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #36  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Lin, Julia's beef Bourguinon! Have you ever made it before? And did you see the movie? Not one to watch on an empty stomach, that's for sure. Love the rainbow popcorn comment -- I haven't thought of that stuff in years. It's very pretty, I agree, and it does retain a bit of the color in the husk. Fun!

Judy, love to you as well.

My parents left today, and much as I love them, I'm thrilled to have our house back! DH is even giving me a present and staying over at his mother's tomorrow night so I can just bask in being alone. As he pointed out, after two weeks of constant company, I won't know how to act!

Flo just posted this over on Dotti's, and I think it's outstanding. She got it from a woman named Tawni Gomes who has a No Excuses blog now. Here it is:

-----
NO MORE WAITING FOR THE PERFECT TIME---

Do you ever find yourself saying or thinking, "As soon as "x" is over I'll have more time to take care of my health." I know I've fallen into that trap on more than one occasion. It's an easy trap to fall into. The phrase that helps me through when I catch myself thinking, "I'm too busy" is this: "Tawni, are you every too busy to brush your teeth?" Do we say to ourselves, "As soon as my job settles down I'm going to start brushing my teeth again." "As soon as I get through the holidays I'll have time to start brushing my teeth again"

A fellow Connector shared this thought with me and it really struck me: Ya know how you say to yourself or others, "I'd do "anything" to be at goal weight. I'd do "anything" to lose this weight and not be fat"

Well, this IS the "anything" The next time you hit the snooze button that was your "anything' moment. The next time you buy something "for the kids" that was your "anything" you said you'd do if "only" you could lose weight. Isn't it funny how often we use the phrase, "I'd do anything"

Well, would you? Let's see it! I know I'm guilty of this also. I've spoken the words aloud, "I'd do anything to be able to run 'x" minutes for a 10K, yet when the time comes to do speed work, I don't quite "feel like it" So, then, I guess the truth is I'm NOT willing to do "anything" am I? The truth has smacked me upside the head on more than one occasion.

There will never be the "perfect time" to get started. The best advice I can give you is to start with something---anything. Just start.

Maybe it's a phone call?

Maybe it's writing an email?

Maybe it's drinking water instead of soda?

Maybe it's ordering grilled instead of fried?

Maybe it's being the FIRST to suggest going for a walk after dinner, yes even if it's cold.

You'd do "anything" right? Well, this is your "anything"

The choice you have is this. You can wait for the world to change, or you can be the one to change it. Indeed, the world will change no matter what you do. Yet the more influence you have on that change, the better you'll like the results.

Excuses are available to you in abundance, but of what value are they? Forget the excuses. Forget about waiting for the perfect moment. Now is the time to get started. Use this moment and each following moment wisely, and you'll get precisely where you wish to go. One baby step at a time.

I know you can do it! If I can do it, believe me, SO CAN YOU!

Believe in Yourselves!

NO MORE EXCUSES!
-----------

I'm taking this one to heart this year!

Have a great day, everyone.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #37  
Turtle Buddy

I couldn't let that go by without a for posting. It's wonderful, Lauren, and something we don't often think about.

I've been smacked lately with how much more work I have to do to get over perfectionism. I've made a lot of progress, but only in some areas. In others, I still have to learn to allow good enough to be good enough. With re: to weight loss, that means not feeling guilty if I don't follow my plan exactly. Sometimes I can't and sometimes I rebel against it, get stubborn, and just don't want to do it. What I have to remember is to let it go and get back OP without all the bad feelings that add stress and make getting back OP even harder.

What struck me is that when I compare this year with previous holiday seasons, I've been much more in control this year, even if I wasn't perfectly following my program. As I said yesterday, I have no idea how the weight will work out, but I know if I've gained, it will be no more than a couple of pounds because I've managed to stick mostly to my plan to eat my points range, except for the actual events, and get exercise whenever I can.

About the beef stew (which is what beef Bourguinon is-beef stew with red wine): Yes, I saw the movie, loved it, and want the DVD. I read the book. I looked up Julie's blog. I'm not too impressed with Julie Powell, but that's another post. I read Julia's bio and it's awesome. She was amazing. I want to be her, in a way, because my ideal food career, could I have a food career, would be to teach cooking and write cookbooks. I don't care about being on TV, though.

No, I haven't made her beef Bourguinon before, although I've made someone else's. Paul requested that I give it a try because it sounded so good in the movie. So, I'm doing it for New Year's. I know that you're not "supposed to" make new recipes for guests, but there are no new to me techniques involved and I break that rule all the time. I'm making the stew on New Year's Eve and reheating it, which gives it much more flavor after an overnight sit in the fridge.

Apparently Thomas Keller (considered the top American chef; has four world-class restaurants, starting with The French Laundry in Napa) has raised the bar on that recipe, too. I was reading an article in Cook's Illustrated. The author was testing recipes to adapt for weeknight dinners. He (or she, I don't remember) said that the best recipe he tested was Thomas Keller's, but it took four days and 50 ingredients! Not exactly a weeknight special. But what a challenge for a I have all of Thomas Keller's books, but haven't cooked much out of them due to lack of time. His recipes are complex, like his food. They look amazing, though, and I plan to make time to cook from them this year.

Keep on turtlin'!

Last edited by Lin S; 12-29-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #38  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Beef Burgundy for New Year's! Sounds scrumptious.
Good luck with the recipe. I've got a favorite I've been making for years and I'll share the recipe if anyone is interested. However, I'm sure that Julia's is much better. I used to try and cook gourmet, but find I'm more a fast and slpppy cook. in and out of the kitchen with as little work as possible. Somehow it all works for me.

Lauren, I am going to print out your post from your buddy. Here I am in my late sixties and I have lost weight many times, but find myself stagnating around 195# This cannot be! I am determined to lose another 25# this year and I will do it. The only way I can do it is to hop on the right now. What am I waiting for and what would I do to lose this weight!!!!!!!!

Thanks for a fabulous post. You've got my for having company for two weeks. and for your dh to visit his mom and let you have some alone time.
We'll be with my children for another five days and I hope it's not too much for me. I'll bring a book and disappear to read now and then as a coping device. The food could be a challenge, but I'm bringing plenty of ww friendly items to help me get through it. Wish me luck!
Judy
234.6/ugh/190 and deeper into onederland
Old 12-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi turtles - everyone ready for a brand New Year? Hope so, lets make this "our year for getting to goal"

Judy - I am still going to Tops, I will just be following a new eating/exercise plan that I sent away for. Remember last winter when I went to my
X-Weighted workshop, anyway it is from him. Haven't started yet - will start on Jan 4th when am back to work.

You all sound like you have had some challenges but lots of fun as well.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas & Happy New Year.

At my walking centre, they had free fitness classes for 50+ which I participated in Mon & Wed a.m. then I still got in my 2 mile walk & quick swim.
I am abit stiff tonight, but feel good about actually getting my butt off the couch this week since I am on holidays & that usually makes it easy to make excuses about not exercising. As for the eating - hasn't been the best.
But the last few days I have done much better.

Lets do this together!!!
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #40  
Chick

Yes, let's all do this together! Happy New Year to us all.
We are the Turtles and we are great.

Good luck to us all.
Judy
My dh and daughters and their spouses and little grandson just got back from the beach. We had a townhouse on the ocean and it was beautiful.
Some little setbacks here and there including unexpected snow brought us home early, but we had a good time cheering in the New Year at the beach. Today we packed up all the Christmas decorations and tomorrow we'll get the boxes where they belong. It'll be good to be back to normal as much fun as the holidays are.

I am determined to make this a great week.
Judy
Old 01-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #41  
Turtle Buddy

Hi!

Julia's Beef Bourguinon was a conversation-stopper, literally. People took one bite and the conversation immediately changed to how superb it was and discussing the recipe. Julia was absolutely awesome and her writing is so clear that she teaches well without being there. I've decided my New Year's tradition will be to invite people over to share one awesome, but incredibly time-consuming, recipe by a great chef. Not necessarily Julia every year. After all, I also have the likes of Thomas Keller to learn from. And, I want to make time to study more advanced cooking techniques' like those Julia teaches in her cookbook, on a regular basis.

Jan. 2 my mom was taken to the hospital. Turns out she had pneumonia in both lungs and her sodium level was low. Her potassium level must have been low, too, since they gave her potassium pills. She's much better now, but dealing with it made my post-holiday weekend difficult in terms of weight loss. I expect that to happen and it's important not to let weight loss get in the way of the more important things in life--like the people you love. It's just something that I have to notice, so it doesn't go from a one-time deal with the situation to a pattern of eating improperly.

Update on my holiday weight loss goals--I gained one pound. I'm happy with that since from Christmas through last weekend I had so much food that was difficult to count, so I estimated or completely took the day off and just put in my daily points so I wouldn't lose the habit of tracking. I made an extra effort to stop eating when I was full and make sure to get in some exercise every day. I'm back on track and we'll see how this week goes. I'm thinking about doing a filling foods week next week because I have a lot of stuff in my pantry that needs eating that fits filling foods well.

I want to share an article with you all. It's about how your brain works with regard to making changes you want to make, but find difficult. Weight loss is one of the types of changes they mention their research being helpful with.

http://www.parade.com/health/2010/01...that-last.html

Keep on turtlin'!

Last edited by Lin S; 01-04-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi turtles:

Hope you all had a great holiday & now it is time to get back on track for 2010.

I don't really like the term "resolutions" by my 2010 goals are: Lose 25# by July 1st & walk more than 237 miles at my centre.

How about everyone else?
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #43  
Chick

LIn, love that you made a conversation stopping dinner! What a compliment to your cooking. Weigh to go on your only gaining one pound during the holidays. That's phenom!!!! I love your attitude and am hoping your dm gets feeling better real soon.

Bandit: I do like to make resolutions and I like challenges. I had set up a 25# weight loss for this year, but now that you've stepped up a bit more than that I'm aiming for your goal to be mine: 25# down by July 1st. How will I do that? By tracking, having faith in the WW program, checking my thyroid level to make sure I'm cooking on all burners in my body, and exercising 4X a week minimum! Yep, I can do this.
Is it okay if I brag a bit? 2009 was awful for many, but I made many positive changes:
1. I lost over 20# last year
2. I flew in an airplane for the first time since 9/11 (I live in NY)
3. I established a more loving relationship with my dh and its been great!
4. I started toning my arms
5. I wrote a book!
6. I started doing what I wanted to do and I finally started saying no
when I had to.
7. I reached out and made a couple of new acquaintances who may turn
into friends.
You Turtles have been so wonderful this year. It's great to have a happy, safe place to come and vent and share good news as well.
Here's and to all of ua.
MsMeri, if you're reading, let us know how you're doing or give us your link again to your blog.
Princess, we'd love to hear from you. You've been a vital part of this group for a good time.
Bandit, for setting such a good example with social activities, exercise, and eating plans.
Lauren, for signing up for Curves and switching up your eating plan.
Lin, of the decade award goes to you! Here's for using flexible restraint through the holidays, having a positive outcome, and using good ole' common sense to plow through to get what you want!
Cherry, for chiming in. Many of us remember the extra challenges of small children in the house. Keep on keepin' on until this all clicks because it will!
Here's to all the Turtles here who chime in and also to those who just read the posts. Good luck to us all in this new decade and new year!
Judy
234.6/ugh(my scale is broken so I'm not sure)/190# first and deeper into onederland and my next goal of breaking into the next decade of the one eighties!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #44  
Turtle Buddy

I found an interesting article and wanted to share. I don't know if you'll have to register at the NY Times site to read it, but here's a link:

http://scienceblogs.com/isisthescien...urce=nytwidget

The interesting thing about it is that if all you care about is numbers on the scale, you don't need to exercise to lose weight, and will lose it faster initially. But if you care about being healthy, you do need to exercise and be content with a slower weight loss.

I suspect there will be a lot of articles written this month about weight loss because it's one of the top New Year's Resolutions, so that's why I'm finding more interesting article links to post than I normally do.

Judy, brag away. You had a year to be proud of.

Good luck, everyone, with meeting your goals this year.

Keep on turtlin'!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #45  

It was nice to see so many good posts. LinS hope your mom is ok. Sorry to hear she was in the hospital. It was very encouraging to read everyones posts. I think i want to work on just journaling all that i eat (no matter what) I have a problem with that. Winter is a hard time for me because of SAD and also i tend to want to eat constantly when i am stuck in the house.
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote