Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 08:17 AM   #1  
Water Freak

Default Tuesday's Thread...is full of grace

Hi everyone, just posting the thread! For some reason I thought of that kid's nursery rhyme when I went to type in the thread name (you know, Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, and so on). Anything to break up the routine

Just got back from my walk/run. Only one more day of it and I will have done the running challenge for this week!

Cat
Old 07-23-2002, 09:01 AM   #2  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Quickie

Morning, Cat! (And Lisa, who's probably posting right now).

Just have time for a quick little post. I have an Emergency Response Organization Drill today, so I won't be at my computer until this afternoon. Drill days are kind of hard on the eating, but I decided to take my own lunch over with me. I may be the only person in the history of this power plant ever to take my own lunch to a drill, but darnit, there's nothing stopping me.

On my way to the drill briefing, I bumped into a lady I haven't seen in awhil and she told me that I looked "Wonderful!" It was a real ego boost and reason enough for me to look like a wierdo taking my own lunch to the drill.

I'm going to try to get a little work finished now and will stop in after the drill is over.

Old 07-23-2002, 09:20 AM   #3  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Good morning Cat and Jess!

Cat - thanks for the advice... yes, we're having lunch Friday, so we'll see how things go. Wow - on the running challenge. You rock. I haven't participated. But I added the rock climbing wall at my gym - it's so cool.

Jess - almost! I'm posting like 5 min. after you... ha ha. Way to go on bringing your lunch... and have fun at the drill.

So last night I took my first rock climbing wall class. It's so fun! I wasn't great at it, but I wasn't the worse one there, so that was good. It's a two story wall with NO harnesses, but the padding is like 4 feet high, so we pratice jumping off the top onto the padding and it was fine. Good thing we practiced falling, because I did a bit of that on my own! It was so fun though... I'm going back for sure, I was planning on using my height as an excuse whenever I couldn't reach a hold, but the instructor was only 5' 0" so I really couldn't use that excuse... which was good. I can't wait to go back!

Lisa
Old 07-23-2002, 10:30 AM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Morning girls
I'm boppin along at work (we're allowed to have cd's on and this one is MOTOWN!) so i'm chairdancing
yesterday i did an hour of strength training and 20 minutes on the bike after work
Cat you ROCK!
i'm hitting the gym tonight to embrace the treadmill
or is that my inner runner?
jess definitely have fun at drill and i think its pretty damn savvy to bring your lunch esp when you know there will be goodies around
Lisa! that rock climbing sounds awesome! as does your date with the boy on friday or just think of it as lunch if your more comfy with that
I have been soo good ! any time i'm looking at something super fattening (and in effect delicious) I keep repeating my present goal to myself and it stops me! tho i did have an extra pretzel and a half a piece of cheese last night it beats my usual midnight snack my breakfast shake isnt holding so i might go grab the "trailmix" i made myself
3/4 cup fiber 1 1 tbsp of sunflower seeds ( a coffee scoop i kindof figured was a tbsp and 1 tbsp of raisins
I made this nummy pasta last night i'll post the recipe later
bbl boss lurkin
love
Kier
Old 07-23-2002, 10:52 AM   #5  
Cockeyed Optimist

Morning!

Cat - congrats on taking up the running challenge - only one more day to go? I've still got 2 more.

Jess - I think it's great that you are bringing your own lunch to the drill. More power to you!

Lisa - Rock climbing sounds like so much fun. I'm going to add that to my list of things to try. There was so much that I wasn't comfortable doing before I lost weight that now I want to try all sorts of new things - like rollerblading, kayaking, down hill skiing, and...well you get the idea.

O.K. girls, remember how Jen mentioned a type of dating "party" that was rather popular in the windy city? Well today on the radio I heard about a station that was going to set-up an evening of "power dating". 10 men, 10 women and you talk to each member of the opposite sex for 5 minutes. They were making people tell their dating horror stories on air to determine if they were pathetic enough to play "power dating". I almost called in - I mean my story is pretty pathetic...4 yrs, 2 moves across the country, a marriage proposal that arrived in the mail, and a year without a single date? I bet I could qualify - what do you think - should I give it a whirl next time?

I'll check in later.

Laura
Old 07-23-2002, 11:31 AM   #6  
GO CANES!

Hey everyone! Laura was so nice and directed me to post here.....
SO. Here I am! How long has everyone been doing WW? I've done it off and on forever....
recently, the "at work" program ended, and I've been trying (sad attempt) at doing it on my own. I give myself the excuse of my poor boyfriend...but really, I'm just not trying hard enough....
I want to do this once and for all, but just can not find the "switch"....
has anyone been "there"?
Old 07-23-2002, 11:41 AM   #7  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Default Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained...

Laura, you should SO go for that next time. It sounds like a safe way to meet others who are looking to meet. That's half the problem with meeting people...where to go to find men who are also looking (and at bars, they're usually "looking" for something altogether different than we are). Do it do it do it!!!

Kier your inner runner has emerged...congratulations! Now have her coax mine out of hiding, please. Your trail mix sounds nummy!

Lisa that rock climbing sounds way fun. I've always wanted to try that but (you saw this coming) I'm afraid to try in front of other people. Although last night on Sorority Life (I'm so ashamed to say I watch it) I watched a very out-of-shape girl make it to the top and ring the bell, and that made me feel like maybe I could do it with my newly buff biceps. How hard is it?

Jess, I bet that "wonderful" remark just made your day. That always gives me a boot in the butt in the right direction when I get a compliment on my efforts. Good girl, bringing your own lunch. It's going to pay off with more compliments later, mark my words!

And Miss Cat, your inner runner has also emerged. I need to start the running challenge soon...give me motivation!

And here's why I haven't started it as planned. I had totally planned on staying at home with Aaron until he was at least in preschool and 4. Well, my dream job has landed. Here's the thing...it hasn't even been posted yet because the current holder of it hasn't given notice yet, but it is common knowledge that she accepted a new job and is starting mid-August. So they know it has to be filled and they are anxious that they won't find a qualified candidate in time. It is an early intervention position, and it involves going and testing preschoolers who may have developmental delays to see if intervention and special help is needed. I did so much preschool testing when I was the Director of a preschool that I know I'm qualified. The only thing that might hold me up is that my degree is in elementary ed and not early childhood or child development. But anyway, it's part time, flexible hours with appointments scheduled by me, so I can really work around Aaron. So I didn't run because I spent all day yesterday trying to get a resume and cover letter together. Cross your fingers for me!!!!! Sorry so much about me, that was a little self-centered, but had to be done! More later...
Old 07-23-2002, 11:42 AM   #8  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

PJ:

(do you mind if I call you that?) We've ALL been there. More times than we can count... so we come here for support. It's so much more motivating when you have a cheering section. We all fall into ruts... that will always happen. But it's getting out of them before all the effort you put forth has gone out the window!

I've been on weight watchers for almost 2 years. It was my third (and I"m hoping my last) try.

Definately come here for support. Welcome!

Lisa
Old 07-23-2002, 11:43 AM   #9  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Princess, we were posting at the same time...welcome! I have been there, and let me tell you the switch I found. I saw some statistics about adult-onset diabetes, thought about testing blood sugar every two hours for the rest of my life, being trapped in a sick body for the rest of my life...that made me move, let me tell you! We're great at motivating each other around here, so we'll all do our best to help you find your "switch" wherever it might be!
Old 07-23-2002, 11:47 AM   #10  
GO CANES!

Thank you ladies! I am really excited about this website! I think having someone to talk to about it will help, no?
Have any of you tried to do WW at home? I'm attempting..do we think I should just sign up again for the meetings?
oh. so. can anyone tell me how to put a pretty picture up by my posts?
Old 07-23-2002, 11:59 AM   #11  
Cockeyed Optimist

PJ - glad to see you made your way here. I've been on WW this time (my second attempt) since January and have lost just about 40 lbs. I'm actually in a rut right now (want to lose more but just maintaining) too. For me the "click" was when I cared for my aunt who died of cancer. Watching her die from the inside out by inches, gave me a fierce desire to be healthy and to actually live my life - we only go around once. So, once the worst (I hope) of the grief was over, I started making changes in my lifestyle to become a healthy person who participated in her life. Anyway, the point of this diatribe is that you have to find an end goal that losing weight provides that you desire more than whatever fear keeps you from making a dedicated effort.

Jayne- you so have this job. Go for it, go for it, go for it! You sound supremely qualified. Good luck (not that you need it) and keep us posted.

Laura
Old 07-23-2002, 12:10 PM   #12  
GO CANES!

Laura
You are so wise!
Old 07-23-2002, 02:06 PM   #13  
Proud Canadian

Hi everyone.

Well, my co-worker is back from holidays and some of the pressure will be off me. Of course, as it stands, my last day is Wednesday, they are trying to extend me but the union might not let them so we'll see what happens. They've had four months to post the job and get someone in here but they only started posting it on Monday when they realized if I left they'd have to train someone new during the busiest time of year. AAARGH! I need a real job.

Jess - have a lovely drill - sounds like a busy day.

Lisa - I've always wanted to try rock climbing but I'm afraid of heights - good for you!

Kier - where's that recipie? I made pasta last night for my mom and dad - it's amazing the number of points a person can save when you use low/no fat substitutes in your recipies.

Laura - I've heard about that - you should totally do it - you never know who you could meet.

PJ - hi and welcome - I tried to do the program at home too but I found I really needed the meetings to keep me accountable. Even now when I miss a meeting I slack off a bit. Although I find mini goals are very helpful to keep me on track - my current mini goal is to be under 180 for my sister's wedding (I'm getting there) I find it really gives you something to look forward to other than just the big goal.

Jayne - I totally have my fingers crossed for you. Having a flexible position while Aaron is so young would be great. Keep us up to date.

Ok - back to the salt mines.
KT
Old 07-23-2002, 02:10 PM   #14  
GO CANES!

Wow. KT great job on your goals there! That's inspiring!
Has anyone tried to do a lower carb version of WW?
Old 07-23-2002, 02:41 PM   #15  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Hello, Again

Well, the drill is over and hopefully I won't have another one for awhile. There is, of course, the graded drill coming up, but hopefully I won't have to participate, since I did two drills this year (the requirement is only one).

Welcome to Princess Jihan! We love getting new people! My story is almost the same as Laura's--I've been on WW since January and have lost nearly 40 lbs. I thought I was on a plateau, but lost 1.4 at my last WI, so I guess I'm not. The weight has started coming off slower than it did when I first started. Oh, to post a picture next to your name, click on "profile" at the top of the page. Then go into Edit Options, go toward the bottom where it says "Avatar" and you can add one of the ones that 3FC has on there, or you can find one of your own on a website that offers them.

Lisa--Your rock wall climbing class sounds awesome. I wish there were something like that around here, but I guess I'm stuck with the same old workout, sigh...

Kier--Yes, definitely post the pasta recipe. I love pasta but never feel like I get enough for the points, so any recipe is appreciated.

Laura--Yes, yes, yes, definitely give that power dating thing a try.

Jayne--That job sounds like the perfect thing, especially having a schedule that you can work around Aaron. I wouldn't pass up the chance.

KT--Hmm, sounds like a bit of a dilemma with the job. Can you apply for the job when they post it? Do you think you'd even want to? Hope it all works out for you!

OK, I need to take just a second to complain about work again. I don't know what the problem with these girls is. I had that drill so I was away from my desk for most of the morning. It seems like whenever I go into the plant (I work in the training center), when I come back, they're all b*tchy to me for no reason. One of them makes up unbelievably unreal stories about my personal life and broadcasts them as loud as she can, in hopes that someone will overhear. I've bit my tongue but decided today that if she keeps doing it, I'm going to say something to her, then I'm going to my boss. My dad works out here, too, I really don't want someone to hear her imaginary stories about me and get a rumor started that would come back to him. Then the other girl who works out here, whose job is completely different from mine, thinks that she has all the answers when someone asks me about work that pertains specifically to me. Today I helped someone who apparently came over while I was in drill and she was really b*tchy to me, even though I had no idea that she'd already helped this guy. Once I realized that she'd already helped him, I asked if she'd checked my inbox. She's like "Yeah, but you better do it, too" in a really snotty tone. I'm so mad that I just called the HR guy to ask about going back to school and seeing what they'll pay for.

Sorry to turn this into a whine-fest, but I get so frustrated and can't talk to anyone (because I don't trust anyone not to run back to them and tell them what I said) and can't call anyone because I'm surrounded by them, at least if I type, I know I can't be overheard...

I'm gonna get a little work done now, will check in later.
Closed Thread