Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2000, 09:38 AM   #16  

This is the last chance I'll have to post until New Year's Day, as I leave tomorrow and don't think I will have access to a computer until I get back. The train trip takes 36 hours, Lily, leaving here about 6:00 PM Wed, and arriving in L.A. about 6:00 AM Friday(if it is on time). Then I change to another train for San Luis Obispo, where my mother will pick me up and we will drive to her house in Santa Maria. On the way, we will have a late lunch at my favorite restaurant in Pismo Beach, where you can get broiled sea bass with steamed swiss chard and boiled red potatoes. If you get them to hold the butter, it's only a 5- or 6-point meal. My brother also lives in Santa Maria, so I will have a chance to visit with him too. Christmas day Mother and I will drive to L.A. to spend the rest of the week at my aunt's house and visit with all the other aunts, uncles, and cousins, before I catch the train for home on Friday, the 29th.

I made a trial run on this train last year when I took it to New Orleans. That was only a six-hour ride, but it was such fun I knew I wanted to take a longer trip when I could. I'll let you all know how it was when I get back.

Trudy, those Haystack Toys popups are really annoying. I don't know why they can't be satisfied with just a banner across the top. I hope you have a merry christmas, too.

Lela, kudos for a big decision to go back to school. The computer courses sound like a good idea; I know our accountants use them for EVERYTHING. I never see them when they are NOT on the computer. It would be so nice if you could come along on my trip and visit your son in California. Where is he stationed? Congratulations to your daughter. I'm crossing my fingers that she gets the job. I really admire people who are brave enough to go into business for themselves.

Slavika, I'm glad your party was such a success, and I can't believe you're still cooking up a storm after all those millions of meatballs. I'm going to tell our WW leader about your group's pot luck dinner - we never do anything like that, and I'll bet it's a lot of fun. Especially if everybody brings their best low-point recipes.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night!

------------------
Marsha
Old 12-20-2000, 10:23 AM   #17  
Net browser

Hi Everybody As TRUDY mentioned we had our WW party today and it was really nice. Our Leader supplies the coffee and tea and we all bring in different appetizers or dainties and bring copies of the recipes with the point value on them.
SCHOOLGIRL good for your daughter I hope she does well.
PHILL Merry Christmas and hope you have a good time at your daughters place too. I'm sure you will.
MARSHA How does the cost of a train journey compare with air travel? Do you get a sleeping compartment? I don't even know if trains still have sleeping compartments. Do they? I think I better vist a web site and find out about that. LOL. Have just a wonderful trip and tell us all about it when you get back and Merry Christmas.
Well I am managing to stay at my goal weight so now just to get through the next few days without over indulging. Looks like we may be in for another storm tonight and tomorrow afternoon is my grandchildren's School Christmas Concert. Well, guess we just have to wait until morning to see. Talk to you all tomorrow. Night.

P.S. Hi again. I did go and check out "Amtrak" and they have all kinds of different accommodations including sleeping compartments that sound quite nice.

[This message has been edited by slavika (edited 12-19-2000).]
Old 12-20-2000, 10:53 AM   #18  

G'day all

Sounds like everyone is having a very busy time
It is 3.15 on a very hot wednesday afternoon. The workmen have finished putting up my new pergola and it looks fantastic, I am really pleased. The workmen were very careless though trampling all over my plants, I have lost quite a few. Went out this morning and bought a lot of plants with some colour (anuals) to plant so it looks colourful for Christmas. It is too hot to plant them at the moment so I will wait to plant them when the sun has gone down and it is a little cooler. It is going to be VERY hot tomorrow 42 degrees C (108 F) and then a cool change It should be perfect for Christmas.
It is good to hear so many of you are at goal or near goal. I have more or less made up my mind and will definetly return to WW early next year. 2001 will be MY year
Take care everyone, enjoy the holiday season and stay away from those blizzards!
Cheers
Maria

------------------
http://www.picturetrail.com/flaggies
Old 12-21-2000, 02:50 AM   #19  

Hi everyone,

Do you remember me? I have not been online in about a month and a half. I spent every free moment I had watching all the election stuff. Fox had the least slanted coverage. Since that has all been settled I have been very busy getting ready for Christmas. That is a real job in my house. We have a very large tree (10 feet) that takes about 4 days to assemble and decorate. That is 4 full days with 2 adults and 4 grandchildren (just one night of them) doing the work. But, it is worth it when it is done.

Have missed being online. I see some new names (remember Maria from BCB), but don't know the others. I went back and started to read the old posts but realized that would take too long. Has anything important happened in the last month and a half that I need to know. Could Lily or Slavika make up a quick synopsis of the new people (username and real name if it is used), so I know who to look for. Didn't see anything on this thread from Josie, Donna, Silvergal, or gAnne. Do they still post. What about Margot, PC,Sherry, & Glenda? Hope I didn't leave anybody out.

[This message has been edited by Geri (edited 12-20-2000).]
Old 12-21-2000, 09:00 AM   #20  
Net browser

GERI Hi there stranger it's about time you came back. The way that election was going it could have taken another 6 months before you guys found out who your president was.
Geri this was the joke I heard. "Knock knock."
"Who's there?"
"President"
"President who?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ok, I didn't say it was a GREAT joke. LOL
Anyway Geri, I'm really happy to "see" you again. DONNA has been on a cruise and she's fine. MARGOT is doing great and has lost (I think) 92#.
We also hear once in awhile from gANNE. She has a web page ....check back on the board for her address.
Ok new gals: Username Mareed, name Marsha lives in Louisiana.
Username Phillpc, name Phyllis lives in New Mexico
Username Mooz49 name Anne lives in Ireland
I think you said you remembered Maria.

It was very very cold here today. I went to my grandchildren's school Christmas concert this afternoon and we had to park so far from the school I almost froze.
Nothing else new with me, I'll talk to you all tomorrow. Night.
Old 12-21-2000, 10:38 AM   #21  
Super Surfer

Hi Geri..It's nice to see you back. Thought you had gone somewhere wonderful, but you were in front of the TV. I guess all you US gals are glad to see that settled.
A 10' tree sounds really big, you would need a lot of help decorating it. I am sure it looks wonderful when it is done.

I worked out this morning and spent the afternoon with my head in the oven. I was forced to clean it. I had a spill over on Monday and when my DH was on a long distance call, my oven started to smoke and set off the fire alarm which disabled the phone for a minute. So I had no choice. We bought the stove in 1966 and you would think the stove would die a natural death so I could get a self-cleaning oven, but nooooo it just keeps on cooking. ..One of these days! So that was my boring day.

As for the cold weather Slavika I think we should move in with Maria. She is definitely living in the right place.

Good Night all...
Old 12-21-2000, 11:57 AM   #22  

Just checking in before I go to bed. Welcome to the new ones who came on board while I was finding out who our prez is. My governor is a good man who will make an excellent president. It was the most unusual election in history I am sure.

Slavika and Trudy where is my tree skirt. I see on this thread that Slavika got hers finished. How about you Trudy? How is Dee doing?

Let me tell you the funniest oven story I ever heard. Back about 30 years ago when I was selling Tupperware I went to do this show at a really nice lady's house. It was so unusual though because she took everyone in to show them her new stove (that wasn't the funny part). She made a point of opening the oven door and making everyone look at how clean it was and told them to remember that. Apparently she had a reputation for never cleaning her oven. Someone asked when she planned on cleaning it and she said "when I can't fit a cupcake in it". That was before they had self-cleaning ovens. I don't know who invented the self-cleaning oven, but I think she deserves the Nobel prize. I am sure it was a woman----I don't think a man would think it was important enough to worry about.

We took the boys to see Santa Claus tonight. I don't know how long we would have had to wait, but I guestimate at least 2 hours. After waiting a bit we decided we will go back in the morning before the line has had a chance to build up.

Will "see ya" tomorrow. Oh, Maria what is a pergola? Is that an Austrailian word? I thought they spoke English. Am I wrong?

Old 12-22-2000, 06:47 AM   #23  

It is COOL
The cool change finally arrived and it has poured with rain, everything has freshened up and I am even having a bit of a 'spring' clean for Xmas and enjoying it.
The hot weather for a few days is ok but when it becomes prolonged I really don't like it, I guess things could be worse and I could be having to cope with blizzards
Geri a pergola is an english word (I think it is derived from Spanish) and yes we do speak English. (with a bit of an Australian twang!!) A pergola is a garden type structure, often made of wood (or steel) and one can train climbers over it, it provides shade and is just lovely to sit under
We have had clear sheets of alsynite put on the roof so we don't have to wait for climbers to cover the roof and of course it is water proof. It looks quite spectacular, we are very pleased with it, it is just like a garden room. Now I cannot wait to start planting some tree ferns etc. I also would like a fountain in a corner. I have planted a lot of annuals and they look very colourful.
I received a message from WW where I can attend their meetings in the area I live in now. DH is going to Singapore mid-January and I will go with him (someone HAS to do the shopping ) so I will probably join up when we get back.
Have a great day all, I am just loving the cool weather, even have a top with sleeves on today!!!
Cheers
Maria

------------------
http://www.picturetrail.com/flaggies
Old 12-22-2000, 07:08 AM   #24  

Geri It's nice to see you back. lord a 10 foot tree, I bet it is really pretty when the light are on. I would love one , only I would have to move DH out of the house to fit one in. hummm now that a though.

when to Corpus today had to get a new I.D. card, so we went to the new navy base there. then stop by my moms to see how she was. well we got to stay about 15 minutes, they were on their way to go on one of those gambleing boat, boy does she love going on those things. Guess one of these days I will have to go se what the big deal is.

going to make the last check on my christmas gifts to see if I forgot something or someone .
everyone have a good night

Lela
Old 12-22-2000, 09:16 AM   #25  
Net browser

Hi Everybody ~~ Trudy what do you think, maybe you and I could just live in Maria's new pergola. It sure sounds like it would be a nice place to live AND no snow. LOL
Geri our WW group did walk all the way to Texas and there you were glued to your TV wanting to see who would be your next president and you missed us. Not only did you miss us but we had YOUR tree skirt with us. hee hee
DH and I went to our 7 yr old grandson's hockey game this evening. I don't often go but DH goes to almost all the games. He had not scored a goal this season but tonight he scored his first goal, with just a couple of minutes left in the game.
Well~~~~~he skated on the ice with his stick held high as proud as any little boy could be. I sure was happy I was there. We all went to the change room and gave him high 5's and my son got the game puck from the coach to give it to him. That was one happy little boy. I bet he will replay that moment over and over again in his mind. It was a happy evening.
Talk to you all tomorrow. Night.

[This message has been edited by slavika (edited 12-21-2000).]
Old 12-22-2000, 09:37 AM   #26  
Super Surfer

Geri..My Tree Skirt is finished and is laying proudly under my tree. Your skirt is scheduled for Dec 2020 (or there about). Dee is having her problems - an angiogram is scheduled for early Jan. Sometimes life just isn't easy.
Lela..I would have to raise the roof on my house to get a 10' tree in the living room, never mind getting rid of DH.
Maria..The pergola sounds so nice, so does the trip to Singapore..and the shopping **sigh**.
Slavika..You picked the perfect time to see your grandson's hockey game ~~ so glad you were there for his first goal.
....I would have no problems living in Maria's pergola. They are pretty. I saw Bob Villa building one on TV.

Isn't today officially the 1st day of winter? Somebody sure goofed here, we are in a deep freeze with snow everywhere. :confused: From now on the days will be getting longer.

Good Night all

[This message has been edited by Trudy (edited 12-21-2000).]
Old 12-22-2000, 11:10 AM   #27  

Hi y'all,

Do I have to drink that Texas mickey all by myself? I guess y'all will have to come back to Texas so that I don't get besotted. You can mail my tree skirt (Slavika made me one even if Trudy didn't) overnight so that I have it before Monday.

A pergola sounds heavenly. It sounds like what I call a gazeebo. I've always wanted a gazeebo to sit and read in. I guess I will have to settle for a trip to Austrailia to borrow Maria's pergola.

We took the kids back to see Santa Claus this a.m. We had to wait in line about an hour and 20 minutes. It wasn't easy with that many anxious kids.

Then I went to my new gym. I joined a new gym. It is much nicer than the one I used to go to. And guess what? They have the internet available on the recumbant bikes and some of the other cardio machines.

My tree really does look lovely. I will try to get my DH to take a picture and put in on our site. I guess we still have a site don't we Lily? My living room doesn't have a normal ceiling. Well it does, but it is 30 feet up. I have a 2 story house and the living room space extends all the way up above the second floor. We look down on the floor beneath from the second story. I am probably not describing this very well.

I went to Costco today. What a job. The family will be camped out here next week so I had a lot of shopping to do. I love that place. It has only been here about 3 months, but I haven't been to Sam's since it opened. They have the best-trained help. There must be some kind of rule about being smiling and friendly. All the help is. I wonder if they fine employees caught with a frown.

Old 12-22-2000, 09:05 PM   #28  
Life Time 2001

Geri: A ten ft. tree? Wow! Must take forever to decortae but I bet it is pretty when done! Our house could handle one but I dont think hubby could Yes the site is still there.

Maria: Your pergola sounds so pretty! Think we we all move in!

Slavika: Hooray for your grandson! I bet he was one pround little boy!

Geri: An internet on some of the equipment? I would probably get so involved I'd fall off or something. Dont think I could handle that. Or else I would be there exercising for hours!

Trudy: Glad Dee is getting in earlier for the test. I thought it was scheduled out later than Jan. Let her know we are thinking of her.

Yeah! Last day of work for 4 days. Should be an early one to!
Old 12-23-2000, 07:10 AM   #29  
Senior Chick

Happy Holidays Everyone

I've been so busy getting ready for Christmas. I think I finally have finished shopping (yes, I know some of you were done a month ago...)

Lots of new faces - and glad to see you back Geri!!

I lost 1.5 lbs last week and was down 93.5. I weigh in tomorrow and hope I am continuing to lose or at least staying the same.

These past two weeks have been difficult! Everywhere I turn there is food. I have planned for Christmas and will have my "selected indulgences" We will have 11 guests and are celebrating with an "Old English Chrsitmas" Remember DH & I took a class? So we will have Prime Rib, Yorkshire Pudding, Mashed Potatoes and Figgy Pudding with Caramel Sauce for dessert. Today I picked up the rib roast and I got one so big I had to get a new roasting pan LOL Of course this is going to max out the points but I've been planning and banking. What I haven't done this year- is graze for all the weeks prior. So I'll see next weekend how I did and I'm glad I have a number of days after Christmas to weigh in again!

We went to basketball last night and watched Stanford beat Duke. What a great game. Of course my My Cal Bears also won in the second game of the evening. They beat Georgia.

Maria - your hot weather sounds great but I am used to Christmas in colder -not cold -weather -- after all I am in California! At least it colled off a little for you.

Ah Trudy - I looked at my oven today and decided to clean it after Christmas. I have an old one that one day will die! It is almost 50 years old. Not only is it a bear to clean but the door is sprung so I use a bingee cord to keep it shut while I cook. DH promises that this is the year we re-do the kitchen. I am not holding my breath!

Happy Christmas to everyone! I hope Santa brings you everything you wished for, good health and a loving family.

Margot

------------------

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels
Closed Thread