Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 07:07 PM   #1  
Net browser

Good morning everybody. I went and read the post that DEELITE submitted on the the 30's board about drinking water, it's very good. I showed my DH and he said if he drank that much water he would never get any work done. I told him the running back and forth to the bathroom is called "The Weight Watcher's Waltz".
I'm going to go and walk on my treadmill now and this afternoon TRUDY and & I will work on the tree skirts. HI DEE haven't seen you around here lately, how are you? I hope you have good day and see you at WW tomorrow.
(((DEE)))
"See" you all later today.

[This message has been edited by slavika (edited 10-30-2000).]
Old 10-30-2000, 09:28 PM   #2  

Good Morning Ladies
I thought I would copy and paste the water article I posted on the thirties for you gals. I got it from Dotti's site. It is really intresting....so drink your water!

How 8 Glasses a Day Keeps Fat Away
Incredible as it may seem, water is quite possibly the single most important catalyst in losing weight and keeping it off. Although most of us take it for granted, water may be the only true "magic potion" for permanent weight loss!

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits. Here's why: The kidneys can't function properly without enough water. When the kidneys don't work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. If the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it can't operate at full throttle. As a result, it metabolizes less fat, more fat remains stored in the body, and weight loss stops. Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. When the body gets less water, it perceives this as a threat to survival and begins to hold on to every drop. Water is stored in extra cellular spaces (outside the cells). This shows up as swollen feet, legs and hands. Diuretics offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns. The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give the body what it needs…PLENTY OF WATER. Only then will the stored water be released. If you have a constant problem with water retention, excess salt may be to blame. Your body will tolerate sodium only in a certain concentration. The more salt you eat, the more water your system retains to dilute it. But getting rid of un-needed salt is easy - just drink more water. As it's forced through the kidneys, it takes away excess sodium. The overweight person needs more water than the thin one! Larger people have larger metabolic loads. Since we know that water is the key to fat metabolism, it follows that the overweight person needs more water. Water helps maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by preventing dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss - shrinking cells are buoyed by water, which plumps the skin and leaves it clear, healthy, and resilient. Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, he body has a lot more waste to get rid of - all the metabolized fat must be shed. Again, adequate water helps flush out the waste. Water can help relieve constipation. When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. The colon is one primary source. Result? Constipation. But, when a person gets enough water, normal bowel functions returns. So far, we've discovered some remarkable truths about water and weight loss:

The body will not function properly without enough water and can't metabolize stored fat efficiently.

Retained water shows up as excess weight.

To get rid of excess water you must drink more water.

Drinking water is essential to weight loss. How much water is enough??

On the average, a person should drink eight 8-ounce glasses every day. That's about 2 quarts. However, the overweight person needs one additional glass for every 25 pounds of excess weight. The amount you drink also should be increased if you exercise briskly or if the weather is hot and dry. Water should preferably be cold - it's absorbed into the system more quickly than warm water. And some evidence suggests that drinking cold water can actually help burn calories. When the body gets the water it needs to function optimally, its fluids are perfectly balanced. Once this happens you have reached the "breakthrough point". What does this mean?

Endocrine-gland function improves.

Fluid retention is alleviated as stored water is lost.

More fat is used as fuel because the liver is free to metabolize stored fat.

Natural thirst returns.

There is loss of hunger almost overnight.

If you stop drinking enough water, your body fluids will be thrown out of balance again, and you may experience fluid retention, unexplained weight gain and loss of thirst. To remedy the situation you'll have to go back and force another "breakthrough".

Dee
Old 10-31-2000, 01:05 AM   #3  

Here is a joke for you allEnjoy:
BROKEN HEART

Mildred was a 93 year old woman who
was particularly despondent over the
recent death of her husband Earl. She
decided that she would just kill herself
and join him in death.

Thinking that it would be best to get it
over with quickly, she took out Earl's old
army pistol and made the decision to
shoot herself in the heart since it was
already so badly broken in the first place.

Not wanting to miss the vital organ and
become a vegetable and burden to
someone, she called her doctor to inquire
as to just exactly where the heart would be.

"On a woman," the doctor said, "your heart
would be just below your left breast."

Later that night, Mildred was admitted to the
hospital with a gunshot wound to her knee.

Dee

Old 10-31-2000, 01:29 AM   #4  
Life Time 2001

Cute Joke!

The Water article is a very good one. Hadnt seen that at Dottis before.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2000, 01:52 AM   #5  
Fun Blonde

I have been gone a few days and look what you have done! I am left out of the loop for a tree skirt! When you are on your way to Gerri's, just stop along the way and see me in Oklahoma. I don't have a Texas Mickey for you, but I think I can scare up an some Oklahoma barbecue. You know we could make this a progressive party with a different course at each destination.

Karen - that advice about the car trunk for Halloween treats is just a little late for me. I have had 2 nights now binging on chocolate. Even had to buy more candy for the little goblins. I am doing so badly. I have to get back in the groove! I don't even know why I am having so much trouble all of a sudden.

Last Friday went to OKC for "The Affair of the Heart" which is a big craft fair. There were 7 buildings of crafts and we just made it through 4. I have never been so tired! But I did get some neat Christmas presents. Saw some quilted Christmas tree skirts for sale--didn't buy one because I know Slavika and Trudy are making me one now, even as I speak.

So far, I am having an on program day.
Glenda
Old 10-31-2000, 07:38 AM   #6  
Super Surfer

Hi Everyone. Hope you are all having a good day OP. I have really been trying this week, hope it pays off tomorrow when I get on the WW scale.
Glenda..this is the 1st year ever that I didn't open up the treats and have to replace them. Don't beat yourself up over it, just put it behind you and start again. We have all been there and done that.
..About the Tree Skirts ~ We were talking about how we could surprise all of you by making tree skirts for everybody. But at the rate we are going, we would have to deliver them to your Nursing Homes in about 20 years. I'm not even sure we will have one for Christmas! They would go a lot faster if Slavika didn't cut off the points of the fabric pieces LOL Had to make a stop at the Fabric Store on the way home tonight. Hubby asked how much this project is going to end up costing. I told him that it is waaaay cheaper than if I bought one. So far he is buying it.
Dee.. Good joke! The water information was really excellent. Are we going to be seeing you tomorrow?

If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, you can bet the water bill is higher.
Old 10-31-2000, 09:27 AM   #7  
Net browser

HI EVERYBODY Ok, SOMEONE stacked the fabric to cut out 8 identical patches for the tree skirt and inadvertently cut the points off 5 of the 8 pieces. That's all I'm going to say on this matter. LOL
Ok, I'll just say one more thing, there was only two of us working on the tree skirt. Ok,I'll just say one more thing, it was
TRUDY'S Christmas Tree Skirt. LOL
These Christmas Tree Skirts may soon be worth a great deal of money~~~~~~I'm talking big bucks. I should rephrase that. A lot of money has been SPENT on the tree skirts.
GLENDA Oklahoma Barbecue sounds good to me. TRUDY is right, the skirts should be done in about 20 yrs. Can you all wait? ?
My DIL was away teaching her dance class and my son was home with the children. He called just as DH and I were getting ready to have our dinner. He was carving pumpkins with the children and sliced through the web skin between his thumb and fore finger and could we come right over. I stayed with the children and DH drove him to the hospital.
Well that was three hours ago, I'm home now but he is still waiting for a doctor to stitch it up. OY VEY.
I guess tomorrow night we have the little munchkins coming to our doors. My grandchildren are very excited about going trick or treating.
I'll say good night now.

[This message has been edited by slavika (edited 10-30-2000).]
Old 10-31-2000, 09:54 AM   #8  
Life Time 2001

Now Now girls lets not fight!
I will wait for my tree skirt. Sounds like you two are having fun making them! I will have to think of something good for you when you deliver mine. Course by then I wont beable to move very well. 20 years is a long time!

Glenda: Yep Trudy is right. Go on and just start over. Forget about it and move on!

Night all!

Old 10-31-2000, 07:41 PM   #9  
Net browser

Well my Son, the Master Pumpkin Carver, required three stitches. His carving days are over for this Halloween.
I told him not to play with knives anymore.
LOL. LILY I think we will still be walking to Texas in 20 years. We'll probably still be going to WW every Tuesday like we are today. I wonder if I will lose that 1# today. I weighed myself on my scale and the answer was NO .
Talk to you all later. Have a great OP day.

[This message has been edited by slavika (edited 10-31-2000).]
Old 10-31-2000, 09:54 PM   #10  

Hello Ladies
I hope that everyone is well today. Ouch that cut of your son Slavika sounds painful.
I was at the Dr. yesterday. Not to good of news. I will still need to go through more testing for my heart. No miricles happened. I thought about telling the Dr that everything was alright....I am tired of all this. I have had problems since Feb this year. Our canadian medical system moves a lot slower than US medical system.

:confused: [b]HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THE NEW CHANGES TO WW PROGRAM?

The word is out that it will be about putting the puzzle back together. No more o points for carrots onions or artichoke. The maximum count for fiber will be four grams.
There seems to be a lot of unhappy people over at Dottie's. Change...most of us don't like it! I also heard that it is more tailored to the individual needs. If anyone else has heard about some changes can you post it. Thanks!!!

Dee

Old 10-31-2000, 10:26 PM   #11  
Net browser

Hi Dee, on 3FC under WW Food & Point Issues they are talking about the changes to the WW plan. Trudy pointed it out to me last night. Here's what I think (like I'm sure EVERYBODY wants to know) Firstly, this thing with fiber. If something has 250 calories in it I guess it doen't matter how much fiber is in it ~~~~~250 calories is still 250 calories. Probably people were not experiencing the same weight losses they had when the 123 program first started, because there is now so many things that we eat that are high in fiber but low in points but you know the old saying, "A CALORIE IS STILL A CALORIE". Everytime WW changed their program people complained and said they liked the "old" one better. Well if you are getting good results on the current plan, I would say stay on it but if not try the new one. I'm looking forward to what they have to say about the new program.
"See" you all later.
Old 11-01-2000, 02:56 AM   #12  
Life Time 2001

I think the changes look good. Never did think the high fiber foods should be counted so low.
And as for carrots and the others veggies they do contain alot of sugar. I know when I was eating alot of fruit I stopped losing and it was beacause of all the sugar. Soon as I cut back on the fruit I started losing again.

I asked my leader about the changes and she really wouldnt say. She tried the new program for a week and lost 4 pounds tho.

She also said they are coming out with a 3 month Journal. It will have to be bought and it will be 5 or 6 $. They will still have the weekly free one tho. But thats all she would tell me.

Im all for the new changes, they look good to me!

Also agree with Slavika, if what you are doing works stick with it.
Old 11-01-2000, 06:27 AM   #13  
Super Surfer

Down 2 lbs. YIPEE!! And all I did was drink my water, exercise regularly and stay OP. Could there be a message here?
Slavika..Ouch! That cut must have really hurt your son, just a paper cut smarts in that web area. It is raining so hard outside right now, 6:30pm here. I wonder how many munchkins will be coming out. I am sitting here with 60 Jersey Milk Chocolate bars (my favorite )..so far only 1 BIG ex-munckin has been to the door. I was hoping to give out 55 and I would have 1 and DH would have 4...that was the plan...OY VEY!
Dee..you tell the Doctor exactly how you feel, no glossing over the facts. Remember we don't pay for our Medical..(not yet anyway)!
Lily..I have experienced the same weight gain with fruits as you did. I have also had a gain with the fiber. My Doctor increased the amount of fiber I eat because of Diverticulosis, and that is when I started to gain. I don't eat as much high fiber foods anymore, they were putting on the weight and making me feel awful...so this change in program might be a good thing. I will try it out. I also saw the Little Journal Books for sale today at the WW Meeting...I didn't check out the price. I hope they are still going to hand out the individual weekly ones ~ maybe I should "pick up" some spares, like 100 or so...LOL, just in case. I'm not going to pay $5 or $6 for them. Next week I will ask what is going on with the Journals. Karen can you tell us anything about this without breaking any of the rules? ....don't want to get you into any trouble.

Happy Halloween everybody...
Old 11-01-2000, 10:15 AM   #14  
Net browser

HI Lily and Everybody else Well Weight Watchers did not get my money today. I lost the 1# so now I am 152#, two lbs over goal so I did not have to pay. Oh I was one Happy Camper.
We have had a very wet and dreary Halloween. DH felt we should have 2 boxes of those chocolates for the munchkins a total of 185 bars. How many children did we actually get~~~~~~~~28.
I am not as a rule a big chocolate bar eater. If I am going to have chocolate I much prefer to get a couple of really good ones at a chocolate store.
How was everybody elses Halloween this year and by the way where is everybody? ?
"See" you all tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2000, 10:44 AM   #15  

My leader said we would find out about the new program Dec. 10th, and that it would be more individualized. Also heard that there would be new flavors in the 2 point bars.
Closed Thread