Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Good morning all and happy Sunday! It is very cold here this morning with flurries predicted for this afternoon... ugh! But the coming weather is all part of spring so I will take it and not complain, well at least not a lot...LOL.

Went to W/I yesterday, could not stay for the meeting as we got there too late for one and way early for the next... had two dogs that had to go to the groomer at a certain time and I had a hair appointment very close following that so we just popped in to W/I... DH did really well, with out even trying again... grrrr, but I stayed the same and I was ok with that since I ALWAYS have a gain so to me that was a huge success. Went and had my hair done, she did hi-lights and low-lights, which is some light and some closer to my nature color which is dark brown. It looks more natural then with just the high lights and I was pretty happy with it.

Judy: You inspire me in so many positive ways! I love to coupon shop but rarely take the time but I did it a lot when I was off from work and it helps!

Donna: Well said and I agree, much easier to go thru crud then let a loved one do it. Yes! WE SURE DO LOVE TO SHARE RECIPES HERE! SHARE AWAY!

Lauren: Two TOMS... back to back!?!?!? UGH! I feel for you, sometimes I get mine really close together, most of the time it is 14 days from the start on one to the start of the next... but they are not as close as yours... good lord! It must be our age, not sure but I'll bet we are close in age and our bodies are doing those truly pesky things that we did not have to deal with not so long ago.

Bandit: I am doing pretty good, thanks for asking. How are you doing? I'll bet you are getting the same weather we are here or pretty close. Any plans for your yard/garden this year? A few of my new plants that I put in last year have not shown their heads yet while others have... still hoping that they come back, I have a ton of money invested in them. You are doing so great with your weight loss! A true inspiration to all of us here!

Princess

Last edited by Princess1122; 03-29-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Princess1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Default African Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos

This recipe originally came from the 300+ ... Recipes thread here on the 3 Fat Chicks site. And I have travelled in Africa and it tastes just like what I ate there!

African Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos

Ingredients

Cooking spray
1 medium yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2+ tablespoons chunky peanut butter (use reduced sugar or natural)
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 can black beans, 15-oz, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)

Flour tortillas

Toppings
Salsa
Chopped green onions
Chopped fresh mint
Fat free sour cream or yogurt, if you like

1. Chop raw sweet potatoes into chunks. Put in an oven-safe dish or roasting pan, spray with cooking spray and roast in a 415 degree oven until soft (about 30 to 45 minutes). I added 1/2 of a chunked onion on the bottom, and cooked them uncovered for 15 minutes, and covered for the rest of the cooking time. After about 40 minutes, I turned off the oven and left them in there for another 1/2 hour until I was ready to use them.

ALTERNATIVELY: you can simply use canned sweet potatoes. If your sweet potatoes are canned in syrup, drain and rinse them before using. They'll be about 30-40 calories more per cup than un-syruped potatoes.

2. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked (or if you are using canned), sautée the onion in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Add the garlic and sautée for another minute. Don't let the garlic burn.

3. Add black beans, sweet potatoes, and peanut butter to the skillet. Stir together and mash to the consistency you prefer. My sweet potatoes were well-cooked, so I ended up with a texture similar to that of refried beans.

4. Add cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne and mix well. Reduce heat to low, cover and heat a few more minutes until heated through, stirring to ensure the mixture doesn't scorch.

5. Meanwhile, heat your favorite tortillas. Spoon a portion of the mixture into the center. Add salsa and whatever toppings you like (I think the mint is a must, but there is no need for cheese). Fold to enclose fillings and serve.

I get four servings at 4 pts. or 220 calories/serving for the sweet potato and black bean mixture - varying by the size of the potatoes. Total calories per serving would depend on the tortillas you use and whether or not you add sour cream. Really interesting: great texture, unique flavor - I think the spicy/sweet combination. Easy to make, and easy on the budget and mad crazy healthy.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Morning, turtles:

Princess - yes I think our weather is pretty close most of the time. Yesterday, was a nice day & went into Toronto to visit my dd & finally seen her place & we had a nice lunch at local pub. Then just came home & watched marathon of Sex & the City so that was fun as well.

Today, it is cold & raining so will be an indoor day & later will get in walk/swim with my neighbour. I dont have to cook today since I have leftover pork tenderloin from Fri night.

Donna - thanks for the recipe & yes, we like to share favorites.

It was nice walking around a different neighbourhood yesterday - lots of big old houses & everyone was out raking & sitting at outdoor cafes.
We are so ready for the nice weather - it really has been a long cold winter.
Can't wait to get out there poking around the yard. My gf planted a bunch of things last fall in my front garden & they are all starting to show their little tops.

Anyway, time for another coffee & plan my day.

See you "lighter"
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #19  

Hi all and happy Monday to everyone, cool here today but the sun is out, supposed to rain most of the week though.

Eating is on track but I still need to make it a point to get on my treadmill a few times a week.

Have a great day!
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #20  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Guys,
It's been real busy here, but I hope to post tomorrow.
to Donna for such a fabulous weight loss. Weigh to go!
to Princess for staying the same with TOM in the mix--I'm sure that means you really lost weight.
Donna, love recipes==keep them coming.
Lauren, I'm praying for you and your family. God bless.
Bandit, I've been to Quebec and Montreal and love visiting in Canada. Glad you got to see your dd and that you had such a nice time.

I'm working hard on eating right. I finally had to succumb to eating salads since they are so filling. I'm also working in healthy fat and milk servings==holy moley==they use up soooo many points! Hence the salad. LOL. Okay--I'm serious I really have to run.
Take care, be well and send me : for my Terrible Tuesday tomorrow. I'm breaking the sabotaging habit I've had in the past of overeating on Tuesday and messing up my Wednesday WI, but it's slow going and I need your support.
Judy
234.6/212/210and thinner into onederland
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Having a quiet day here. Yesterday DH & I went out for dinner at The Outback where I made so-so food choices; didn't feel like their grilled selections so I had French Onion Soup and a half portion of fettucine with a chicken breast. Used up my day's allotment of points and a couple of my weekly points, too, which I have not been using. Then we went to see "Knowing" which I enjoyed but DH felt was "too dark and serious."

Judy, sending good vibes your way on your struggle with the self-sabotage. I can't tell you how many times I've sabotaged myself. Who needs enemies -- I'll do the job for them ...

Forced myself to do my two miles to my walking tape today. Absolutely did not "feel" like doing it, but I read something recently about the difference between being interested in losing weight, and being committed. I want to be committed and sometimes that means doing things I don't feel like doing, just because I know it needs to be done. Do it, get it over with, and feel virtuous for the rest of the day.

Trundle on, Turtles!

Last edited by ladynredd; 03-30-2009 at 08:12 PM.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #22  

Hi all and happy Tuesday! Hope all is well with everyone, I have been doing pretty good with my food so far this week. I did make a lasagna over the weekend for Sunday supper, tried to keep the points down to a dull roar but not sure I did a very good job. Need to get a walk in this week, not sure when but I will figure it out.

Take care everyone!

Judy: good luck tomorrow... for today just remember how good it will feel when you get on the scale tomorrow if you behave today!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #23  
Chick

Thanks guys!!!! Yes, I'm getting through Terrible Tuesday--if not with flying colors, at least okay. Take it easy, do well, have fun and keep on keepin' on!
Judy
234.6/212/210thinner into onederland
Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #24  

Hi all and happy Wednesday and I guess it is April Fools day also so beware of the pranksters!

Nothing new here to report but I wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing.

Judy: Good luck today!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #25  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
At my WI I was up .4#. Not a nightmare gain, but since I'm trying so hard I hate to see any gain. I feel by tomorrow my weight will be lower since my home scale result was good. My #1 job today is to stay on track, not overeat my points, and keep on keepin' on. I got food shopping today so I have yogurt back in the house, plus I did other shopping and walked quite a bit. That has to be better than sitting on the couch and watching TV.

Okay, I'm sending : to all the Turtles. Bandit, I know your WI is soon so good luck!!!!

Donna, have you checked out Outback's website for healthy choices? Some of them are really good. I'm with you--sometimes looking at another piece of grilled chicken is just too much! I love Outback's smaller filet mignon and the baked potato. This week I got the potato with just chives and that wasn't bad!

Lauren, how are you doing? Sending : to you and your family.

Okay, gotta run but you're all on my mind. Let's think slimmer by Memorial Day!
Judy
234.6/212.4/210 thinner into onederland
Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #26  

Morning all and happy Thursday! Not much is happening here with me, the scale is not budging but that makes me try all the harder... really hoping for some kind of a loss at Saturday morning W/I

Judy: Not a bad W/I but I know what you mean. A loss no matter how small is alway better then a gain.

Princess
Old 04-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Morning turtles:

Judy - you will drop that gain in no time, keep up your good work!

Princess - hope your scale starts moving for you. Gets frustrating when you are working hard & nothing is happening. But, you know eventually you will show a nice drop.

Donna - nice job on getting in your walk & I agree with Judy about having chicken "again" - boy, I get my fill of that some weeks.

As for myself, I lost 1# at my w/i last night so was happy with that.
Slow, but steady seems to be working better for me than my history of
yo-yoing. THat really gets frustrating for sure. My gf is coming for dinner tonight & we are having crabcakes & baked sweet potatoe fries so looking forward to that.

HaVe a great day & everyone "drink some extra water"
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #28  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Hey Go Donna! walking exercise, especially when we don't feel like it is the weigh to go! Good for you--yes, I agree that stepping up our commitment to lose weight is the way to go. Glad you've joined this group.

Princess, you had a really nice weight loss a bit ago and then TOM set in so I hope by Saturday you'll see a new weight loss. You're doing everything you can and you will lose weight.

Bandit, you keep on keepin' on. My goodness, you are doing great! I love that you're losing slow and steady because that's a loss you can work into your life. I'm working on that too.

Lauren, here's : Somehow I feel you're closing in on another goal. Is that the case? I am so glad you're here because of your great ideas.

Ariana and Chrily===just in case you're reading this I'm sending you :.

Today I'm going to write down the food I plan to eat since that has worked so well in the past. I'll make a list of the foods I want to have and cross them off as I make my way through the day. It's encouraging to see so many zero or low point foods that are available and that keeps my spirits up. Have a great day everyone!
Judy
234.6/212.4/210thinner into onederland
Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #29  

Good morning everyone and happy friday! Well I decided to try a Zumba class again last night, my WW leader does classes at a very low cost and I thought I would try it. My last experience with it was not so great but I really liked it this time around and will go back again. At 5.00 a class it is hard to complain. I am also going to try Pilates again to see if it is something that I can still do with my back/neck problems. I signed up for one this Saturday so we will see how it goes.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #30  
Chick

Princess, good luck with your exercise. Weigh to go.

I'm going to my book club/lunch out today. This is a "thin" group and they all eat salads, no bread, etc. so the eating isn't a challenge. I've got a busy weekend and then I'll be away for a couple of days. All that will be a challenge so I have to watch what I'm doing the whole time.

Have a great weekend, be well and happy and keep on keepin' on!
Judy
234.6/212.4/210 and thinner into onederland