Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 11:14 AM   #16  
Life Time 2001

Maria: OH my goodness what a weekend you had. So sad about your DS and girlfreind. If your son isnt happy then he is probably doing what is right for him. So sorry to hear about your SIL to. My thoughts are with you.

Ann: Glad you got your bathroom Finished. Have fun on your trip! Maybe you will find some new stuff on your trip!

Slavika: The folk dance festival sounded fun! Sorry your grandson was to busy to dance with you.

Glenda: That sounds like a very sad book. Dont think I could of finished it.

Peggy: I have decided I must change my name. Heres what I came out as on both sites. Thanks for both sites they were fun!
Dirty Mary Rackham
Countess Bad Hair Day

Later !
Old 06-03-2002, 04:06 PM   #17  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Maria It's funny I was talking to my sister-in-law over the weekend and her son and girlfriend just broke up too. My brother/sister-in-law have twin boys who are 35 years old. Neither boy has been married but one is engaged and getting married a year this September. The boy that broke up with his girlfriend, had been seeing her for about two years but the gal before that, I think they were together for 5 years. My sister-in-law said she gets attached to these girls and then they are gone. I agree with Lily and Glenda it's much better that your son breaks the relationship up now if he is having second thoughts. I told my sister-in-law the same thing. Eventually they will both find someone who is very special and want to marry and settle down. The news about your SIL is sad too. You sure didn't have the happiest of weekends, lots going on.
Glenda my friend at the lake read "Lightning" I think last summer or even the summer before (I forget). I do remember how angry she was at the husband, and actually said the book was driving her crazy. LOL LOL......
She thinks that sometimes Danielle Steele makes her "heroines" kind of whimps. I have only read a couple of her books, although I have a few hanging around the house. We always exchange books with each other after we have read them but I just never got to them I guess. Peggy I went to look at your quilt. Is it the the one with a white background with purple violets on it. I couldn't find where they put the "order no". I sure liked that one and another in a sort of blue.
I have an Uncle who is going to be 90 years old this month and wanted to find a bunch of jokes to send to him with his birthday card. I found this one web site that had something called "Travel Quips". One travel agent said she received a call from a client who wanted to book a seat on a plane but would prefer an aisle seat because she didn't want her hair to blow from the open windows on the plane.
Talk to you all later.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:07 PM   #18  
Life Time 2001

Slavika, that sure hit my funny bone. I sure wouldnt want my hair blown like that sitting by the window either
Course my name is "Countess Bad Hair Day", so I guess it wouldnt matter anyways.

I have tears coming out my eyes Im laughing so hard.

Last edited by LilyG; 06-03-2002 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:49 PM   #19  

G'day all,

So good to read everyone's posts this morning

It was ds 28th birthday yesterday and we had a long chat last night which was really good. He said whilst he is very upset and even more upset because the girlfriend is so devastated, he still feels he has made the right decision. It is a good feeling that he is able to open up to us. He knows we will fly him to Sydney for a weekend or we are happy to fly home for a few days.

Glenda you made me laugh referring to your dh and yourself as a'two old farts' It is a term we also use and I quite often refer to dh as 'a silly old fart'! Affectionally, of course
I did also think that things could have been much worse, children involved etc. etc. I now realise how horrendous that much me.

Slavika you may laugh about the poor old man sitting in a windy spot on an aircraft. I remember in my former life as a flight attendant, (or airhostess as we were then called ) I did a flight on an Electra Aircraft which has 4 propellers (remember this is a 100 years ago ) and two passenger doors on the side of the fuselage. Opposite both doors were seats. This particular flight was from Melbourne to Hobart in Tasmania. As most passengers were on board an elderly chap, who sat opposite the door, asked me if he could change seats, we had a full load and I asked him why he replied 'it's going to be a bit breezy with the door open in this seat'!!!! It turned out to be his very first flight and he was 73, ancient when I was only 24, we re-assured him and made a bit of a fuss of him during the flight and took him to the cockpit for a bit of a look etc., he had the time of his life and we enjoyed relating the story many times over.

I am starting a webpage for a nephew of mine today. It is for his fledgeling business. It is a 'plastic extrusion' company, pretty boring but a challenge to make interesting and eyecatching.
It is also good to get my mind on to something else.

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 06-03-2002 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:04 PM   #20  
Member Florida Chick

Red face A quick break

We are into the last minute packing frenzy. Hope to get away in pretty good time tomorrow morning. but it all depends on how speedy we are. And for 2 more 'old farts' that probably won't be too fast. :

Peggy: Went on the site and found your bed in a bag. I really liked it. Also saw one that would go with our new color scheme. But am going to wait until after our trip because I just might find something along the way.

This must be break up time. My grand daughter has been devastated by her boyfriend calling things off. They had made all sorts of plans, and she is having a hard time. But I think you are all right, if one feels the relationship is not right, then break it off before marriage, not after.

I will try to be checking in now and then. We will be gone about 6 weeks. Think keep on the program thought for me. It is so hard to stick with it.

Maria: you do have and have had a very interesting life. Loved the stories about worrying about the windy open door. :

This is going to be an interesting time as we will get to meet the young friend of my dd. Hope my eldest dd can handle it. I will report when i have the chance.

So long.

Hi to everyone. Have a good summer. I'll be back. Ann
Old 06-04-2002, 12:18 PM   #21  

Hi girls, Maria I can identify with you and your son. My oldest broke up after dating 7 years. It was hard because I really liked her. Now she is married and has 2 kids. He is smart to do it now and move on with his life. Your story about the man on plane was cute. Slavika, it is the one with purple and blue flowers on a white backround. It doesn't show up well on the picture. I thought the wall color would look o.k. but now I think it needs to be painted another color. Of course, dh thinks it looks fine. I just wish it had some kind of curtain to match. I think I will make something plain and use fabric paint and those spongey flower shaped presses and see how that looks. Glenda I think that I read that book a while ago. I am going to start the Ya Ya book when I am finished with the one that I am reading now. I can see where that would be a downer for you. This morning I went up to AAA and got some info on a train ride from Windsor to Toronto. Someone I know just did it and it sounds like fun. They stayed overnight and saw Mama Mia and then rode the train back. I think we would stay more than one night. And the exchange rate is great right now. Gotta run and clean. I had to get a new vacuum last week. It is one of those bagless ones and I am amazed at how much it is picking up that the old one didn't. And I did lose a pound last week. This is taking forever.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:07 PM   #22  

G'day all,

It is comforting to hear of the many of you who have had similar experiences with children breaking up their relationships.
Girlfriend rang me at work and we talked for over 1 hour, lucky I am able to do it. I feel so sorry for her but I know my son is also hurting a lot. She finds it hard to comprehend that something can end just like that and is finding it very hard to come to terms with. It is going to be difficult for some time to come because they have bought a house together, all their banking is combined. It is interesting that is something that ds has always resisted until about 18 months ago when they bought the house and he had no choice.
I won't go on about it, but I must say that this is foremost in my mind at the moment and wished I was home.

It is going to be a beautiful winter's day, 22 degrees. At the moment looking out of my office window the harbour bridge is shrouded in low clouds, looks quite ery.

We have a holiday on Monday for the Queen's birthday. As part of the Commonwealth, do Canadians have a day off for the queen's birthday? Tonight is a telecast of the concert for the queen's jubilee, should be quite entertaining. I rather like the pomp and ceremony however I do not feel she is 'our' queen and would like to see Australia to be a republic and have an Australian as head of state.
What is the general concensus in Canada? I see in the paper that there is a bit of turmoil with the sacking of your finance minister, ah different country, same controversies

If anyone is interested in the 4x4 wheel driving we did last sunday at Stockton Beach , I have posted some photos on the net. www.picturetrail.com\flaggies

Peggy your train trip sounds like fun, I enjoy rail travel and the show Mama Mia should be great.

Ann Good luck on your trip, hope all goes well with your daughters.

Trudy how are you? I hope you are OK and that the reason we have not seen you post is because you are just busy!

I am finishing off the web page for my nephew today so I can email it to him and he can make the necessary changes.

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 06-04-2002 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:43 AM   #23  
Fun Blonde

Trudy, where are you? Are you just enjoying the beauty of spring and summer? And Slavika, how is Dee and her family?

Maria, we have heard a lot about the Queen's Jubilee and it sounds like big doings. Do you have any great feelings toward the queen? In America we have always clamored for news about the royals, as we have about the Kennedy family. I think we are all just enamored of reading about such high lifestyles. I am thinking that lately the queen has been trying to become a little warmer than before. She has always seeme so haughty to us, but took a lot of criticism from the death and funeral of Lady Di. Just curious about something: I thought you had allowed your son and his partner to live in your house at Avalon. Did they live there and rent out the house they bought together? That should be interesting--disentangling their money.

Peggy - you said your oldest had dated a girl for 7 years. Has he married by now? These long engagements sometimes just go on too long. I think your proposed trip sounds wonderful. What is
"Mama Mia"? (Guess that shows how provincial I am.)

I have lost 5 pounds--the hardest thing I have ever done. But drinking water seems to be a big factor in it.
Glenda
Old 06-05-2002, 01:00 PM   #24  

Default Glenda --keep drinking that water

Soon it will be so automatic that you will wonder why you didn't drink it before. I always associate your name with Glenda the good witch in the Wizard of Oz. No my oldest has never married. He says he has money without women. He is taking off tomorrow for Clearwater, or so he says, for a long weekend. I don't think many of his friends are married either. Mama Mia is a play based on the songs by Abba. Now my dh has no clue who Abba is which always makes things interesting. It was just here but didn't go. Tickets are so expensive + now that I found out about this train thing that sounds like more fun. The lady at Tripe A said that all the plays go to Toronto when they leave NY. And they stay there for a long while. Not like here when they are in town for a week or so. Went downtown this morning to a library book sale on the square. This year they have had local artists paint huge pots and now they are there all planted. It looks so pretty. Sort of like when we had the Big Pig Gig a couple of years ago. Maria that 4 wheeling looks like so much fun. I would like to try it. I didn't realize that your ds bought a house with his gf {or else I did and it didn't register}. That could be a sticky mess. I bet it is hard for you to sort of be in the middle. You have to listen and bite your tongue. I would have liked to have gone the to the big party for the Queen. That would have been a blast. Someone just gave me a sample of the perfume that Princess Di supposedly wore. I really like it but I haven't priced it yet. I would probably be in shock. It's called Boucheron. See if you can get a sample. Have to go - it's time for AMC the one stupid soap that I sometimes watch.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:07 PM   #25  
Life Time 2001

Peggy: Your trip sounds fun on the train, and the show should be great to! I love to go on trains. Its so relaxing.
Never smelled the perfume before. But here are some prices for you

Boucheron Perfume

Glenda: Good for you losing 5 pounds! Water does help. Im so use to drinking alot now that it doesnt even faze me anymore. I perfer it over anything else. Very rarely drink soda anymore.

Maria: Great pictures! That sand looks wonderful, so clean! What was Tin City when it wasnt a Ghost town? The pictures are beautiful and looks like you had a lot of fun.

Later!

Last edited by LilyG; 06-05-2002 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:17 PM   #26  

G'day all,

Thank you Lily I guess we will all be rushing out and stocking up on a few bottles of Boucheron Tin city is not a ghost town, it is just called that but it is still used by fishermen. The government now wants to clear all the tin shacks but the fishermen are strongly opposed and say they have been there a very long time and it is part of the history of the place.

Glenda I don't particularly care for the queen one way or the other. I am with you that I am fascinated by all the history of the monarchy etc. She is our head of state and I have a problem with that. She is fine for the UK but I would (and many other Australians) like to have an Australian as head of state. We have NO jubilee festivities despite her being our head of state, I think that tells you how relevant she is for Australians. Having said all that, I watched the jubilee concert and thought that was fun. It was also good to see England united the way they were to celebrate their monarch's 50 years on the throne. I particularly liked the procession with the Golden coach and Prince Charles and Princess Ann in full uniform following it on horseback.
By the way, excellent effort loosing the 5 pounds

Peggy I have always liked the Abba music but I also thought that Mama Mia was a bit pricey. I have heard nothing but good reports though, so we might go before we leave Sydney.

Yes well the saga with son and girlfriend continues. Yes they both live in my house and are renting out theirs. It will be quite messy selling their house and splitting the proceeds.
Spoke to son last night and he said that his girlfriend is devasted and won't accept his decision
I am a bit upset because she told son that I haven't been very encouraging and she expected more support from me. I have tried my very hardest to be realistic and fair, I know my son and he will not change his decision. Son is pleased that I am not giving her false hope.
In the meantime she is back living with her Mum and son will leave things as they are (fianances etc.) until the end of our financial year which is the end of the month.

Unless we are going home for the funeral of our s-i-l before that, I plan on leaving my job early September, go home and have a massive spring clean, sort out our stuff. Go back to Sydney to return home again mid October when the project here comes to an end. After that who knows. My work has told me wherever we go (and if it is a capital city) they can probably organise work for me at the Australian Embassy or work for a similar organisation as 'Invest Australia'. So that is good to know.

Have a great day/night all
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 06-05-2002 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:57 PM   #27  
Net browser

Hi Everybody I had Trudy and Dee here for tea yesterday, and am pleased to say that both of them are fine.
I went out for lunch and shopping today with my friend and bought the Princess and cute little pair of shorts and halter type top. It even had one of those scrunchies for her long hair.
Glenda Good for you....5#, that is really great. I don't know for sure how much water aids in one's diet but when you are drinking LOTS of water you aren't drinking so much of something else, so that would help.
Peggy you bet your dollar is healthy and well when compared to our Canadian dollar. I remember a long long time ago when the Canadian dollar was worth 10 cents more then the American dollar....but that never happened again. I would like to take a little trip somewhere on a train too one day, I just don't know where I would like to go. Oh I know. Remember I told you gals about the quips from travel agents. Well this was another one. A lady phoned a travel agency and said she would like to take a plane to California (I think she lived in New York) to visit her sister and from there she would like to take a TRAIN to Hawaii. LOL LOL Did you like that one Lily ??
Old 06-06-2002, 07:37 AM   #28  

Default Lily, thanks for the site

now I know that Boucheron is not in my future. I should have taken a few more samples. I will have use what I have very sparingly. Is that a word? Boy Maria you are in a fine mess with the girlfriend. I don't envy you at all. This has to be very hard on all of you. She will have to realize that you can't make someone want to stay with you. It is sort of like playing the game of pickle with you in the middle. I would want to scream Now I am wondering how Ann is doing with her dd. I hope they are all getting along. Slavika tell Trudy Hi. Miss her and glad to hear that she is well. We are deciding when we want to take our trip. I looked at the different hotels on the net and now have to decide which one. We want to stay an extra day or two and take in some of Toronto. It has been many years since we have been there. I think the kids were quite small. Glenda I forgot to tell you congrats on losing that 5 pounds. That is quit an accomplishment. You go girl! See you all later,
Old 06-06-2002, 09:38 AM   #29  
Fun Blonde

Girls, have you heard lately on the news that this "8 glasses of water a day" is a fallacy? Just when I am getting into it. I don't care--I think along with Slavika, when you are drinking a lot, you aren't drinking something else or eating something else.

Maria - I know you are in a mess with your son's ex, but I have been there with much more intensity when my oldest was 21 and had just married his pregnant girlfriend. They had the baby (did not know each other at all, 3 weeks, before she got pregnant) and then Joel wanted out when my grandson was 10 months old. He was so at fault (for marrying her, saying he loved her, etc) and I took her part. She was a nice girl, just bossy, but she did not deserve what she got. Anyway, I was in the midst of the worst situation and eventually, I had to tell Sandy that my first loyalty was to my son, but that I would always love her and be her son's grandmother. It was so awful that I think those intensely hurtful times come back to me once in awhile. Thank goodness your situation isn't this intense. But the girl will have to eventually realize that he is your son.

Phooey, I wish I had a sample of Boucheron. The sample must be worth $20. Guess I will stick to my old standbys. Actually, I love perfumes since I don't stink like cigarettes anymore.

I have a good friend who was a cigarette smoker for years until she had a massive heart attack. She has been on a heart transplant list for years and last week got her heart. We are going to see her tomorrow. So happy for her. I just get so shocked when I see young people smoking, don't you? Enough of my soapbox.

Have you all heard today about the little girl in Salt Lake City who was abducted at 2 a.m. from her upstairs bedroom by a masked gunman? The home was a $1 million home and she has 5 siblings. How brazen is that! I just get sick for our kids.

I have rambled long enough. Have a good day. Drink water.
Glenda
Old 06-06-2002, 12:44 PM   #30  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Wow sure looked like a ghost town. Hope they dont tear them down. It is history, and should stay. Yep Im running out right now to get some of that perfume.
Sorry to hear about the contining saga. Im sure you are being very fair. She does sound devastated. Im sure its hard for her, It will just take time. It has to be hard on all concerened.

Slavika: Good luck on that lady finding a ticket for the train to Hawaii! Im sure it wont be cheap. I had a friend who thought California was next to New York. They are both on the coast dont you know

Peggy: You are gonna have fun on this trip. I have never been to Toronto before. But would like to some time. So many places to go and not enough $ or time.

Glenda: Havent heard that about the water. But I dont believe it. Since I have been drinking so much, my skin is better, my hair, you name it. I wouldnt give it up for the world. Love my water, and like slavika said if you are drinking it, its better than anything else you might be drinking.
I heard about that girl who was abducted. I got an email from a friend about it. Apparently it is around her neighborhood. Waiting to hear more from her. Very sad indeed.

Later
Closed Thread