Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 01:00 PM   #1  

Default 50 or more pounds #97

If you have 50 or so pounds to lose, or are in the process of losing, jump on in and join! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome!

Hi Carol! So glad to hear you had a quick and easy trip. Congrats on being a new Floridian! I'm looking forward to our visit in July!

JOYce, sorry about your sunburn! I agree w/Texaslady, that *does* sound like Texas weather! Glad to hear that the fish will all be cleaned and frozen for you; that sounds like a good thing! And yes, I speak some French (took it in HS and college, but that was a long time ago!). I'm trying to bone up on it a little now. Dh speaks Spanish pretty well, which he found many French people also speak; he used it on our last trip, actually!

Texaslady, I've heard that siding lasts a long time. Sounds like a good plan!

Gotta run; taking Dad up to SA to get his stitches out this afternoon. Everyone have a great Wednesday!

Jan
Old 05-24-2002, 07:12 AM   #2  

Good morning! We are a quiet group again this week!
Things are going well here in the Sunshine State. I now have my driver's license and am registered to vote, so I guess that makes me an official Floridian. I haven't been doing much except unpacking and organizing, but yesterday exdh and I did go to Cypress Gardens. We both have annual passes.
So far the weather has been perfect- low 80's with a wonderful breeze- but the heat is supposed to creep in over the weekend.
No job news so far- I am sending out a couple more resumes today in response to ads in the local paper. I won't get into a serious panic/search mode for another week or 2, but I must admit I'd be more comfortable if I knew I had a job!!!!
Jan, Paris sounds wonderful! When in the summer are you going (if you said I missed it)? I just read an article the other day about Paris- it claims that August is one of the least crowded times to go because the Parisians all go on vacation in the month of August.(well, maybe not all of them ) Anyhow, good luck with your high school French- I took two years in high school too (longer ago than you) and it amazes me that I can still understand some conversations in the language. Now my speaking ability is another matter!!!!
Joyce, how's the sunburn? I'm trying to be so careful! I burn easily, and I can see myself hobbling into an interview looking like a lobster and barely able to get shoes on! What a first impression that would make!
Texaslady, what's the latest from your doctor? I hope you are not trying to do too much too soon! When will you be allowed to return to work?
Janet & Linda, where are you? Please stop in and say hi when you can!

I'd better go. I want to run a couple errands before it gets too hot. Have a great weekend, everyone. Happy Memorial Day if I don't "talk" to you all before then!
Carol
Old 05-24-2002, 10:21 AM   #3  

Wow, Carol, you move fast! Sounds like you are already a bona fide, card-carrying Floridian! And I'm sure the job offers will come flooding in as soon as they get your resume. Re: our summer trip, we're leaving in late June and returning in mid-July. We plan to rent a car and drive around in Provence, which will probably be very crowded, but this is our only vacation time. (One of the drawbacks of teaching, I guess.) In a couple of years, when we retire (or rather, redirect, as we'll have some other kind of job) then we may head back there in the spring or fall.

And you're right, it has been way too quiet in here! C'mon, folks, drop in and say hi, and let us know what your plans are for this holiday weekend!

Jan
Old 05-25-2002, 11:07 AM   #4  
Inchworm

OOPS!
Missed the new thread!
Carol, you don't mess around, do you! good for you, for getting all that done so quickly! re the sunburn: it quickly faded to a nice tan on my arms.

Can you believe: On Thursday, I got a card returned to me that I sent to texaslady in the hosp, on April 26th! Where has it been for a month???

dh has a bday tomorrow, so need to get a cake baked today. 3 more grandkids and their moms will be over tomorrow for lunch, to celebrate with him. I'm going to make some salads and deli sandwiches for them. so need to go to the market after I bake this cake.

Haven't heard from dgd since the day she arrived in OK...but heard from her future b-i-l, from the other side of the world, that she had a job interview. He is scheduled to return home in 2 weeks. I guess it is really hot where he is stationed, and even had a typhooon last week.
I've started re-doing her room into a guestroom, I want to go see Linda's bedroom to see what her dh did for a headboard with some wooden lattice. it sounds like what I need in this room, which has a garden atmosphere wallpaper.

I have been to h2o fitness 3 times this week, and am doing o.k.

Have a good weekend!

Last edited by gmalil; 05-25-2002 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:24 AM   #5  

Wow, JOYce, you are busy, as usual! Way to go, three times to the water aerobics, that's great! So glad to hear you are feeling better, too. Hope you and your grandkids have a great time at dh's birthday party! I'm sure it will be lovely.

Dh, Dad and I are heading to Rockport in an hour or so; plan to go to the wine festival (reminder to self: just *taste* the wines! ;-) We're staying 2 nights at a new place that has a kitchen (so we can cook healthy stuff) and more space, though it's not right on the water. Plan to get lots of swimming in, and will try out our new kayak! Yes, dh finally wanted to go kayaking himself, so we bought a two-person kayak (that one person could use too) and are taking it down with us. Dh spent two days building a roof rack for it, and it's loaded & ready to go! I'll see if I can get Dad to take a picture of us in it.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 05-25-2002, 03:40 PM   #6  

Joyce, I got back the card I sent Texaslady in the hospital about 2 days before I moved to Florida!! Wonder if they will be that slow on their bill?
Carol
Old 05-26-2002, 02:06 PM   #7  

Well, for heaven's sake -- I got my get well card to texaslady back, also! I had sent it the day after you entered the hospital, and I got it back just yesterday, so like JOYce, I am wondering where it has been for a month's time??? And how are you doing, texaslady? I've been absent for awhile and have missed updates.

Carol, so glad you are settled in in your new home, it sounds like the weather has been perfect.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:26 PM   #8  

Hi y'all! How was everyone's holiday weekend? It was quiet here- exdh and I went errand running some and out to eat once or twice. He's working in GA all this week, so he left for Atlanta yesterday morning. I also planted flowers and did some organizing of stuff. I'm not used to having so much time where I don't have to do anything!
I'm kind of getting back on track as far as WW goes- eating healthy again, and at "normal" times, drinking lots of water and getting plenty of exercise walking. My development is quiet and safe, so I usually walk around several times a day. Then there's that wonderful pool! I went in it this evening for the first time for about 45 minutes. It was great, and I had it all to myself! I could get used to this! Now all I need is a job.

Well, I'd better run- just wanted to check in. Have a good evening, everyone.
Carol
Old 05-28-2002, 07:45 PM   #9  

Carol, good for you for your new regimen of healthy eating and exercise! I am still carrying around about 15 pounds over my goal weight. DH and I are continuing to walk around the block most days, but what I need to do is get back to healthy eating, as you have.

Has anyone ever tried to eat within your range, but eat unlimited fruit and veggies, and not count them into your daily total? I read somewhere that someone was tempted to try it and the reply to her was "we didn't gain all of this weight eating lots of fruit and vegetables!" Now that it is coming into summer fruit season, I wonder what you guys think about it.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:59 AM   #10  

Linda, I don't know whether that would work or not. I would think you'd need to count the fruits and veggies as something. No, we didn't get fat eating fruits and veggies, but they do have calories. It sort of strikes me that it would be like people who only eat one meal a day and can't figure out why they don't lose weight- when the 1 meal is 4 pieces of pizza and a hot fudge sundae! I think fruits and veggies are a wonderful substitue for higher point items in the diet, but I think they should still be counted. But then what do I know? I'm the one who's been stuck on a plateau for a year!!!
Speaking of fruits, I got some wonderful Georgia peaches and fresh tomatoes from a little stand near here. Today I'm going to find me some fresh Florida oranges! Also, we have a local couple who bring their produce and set up here in my development once a week- and I believe today is the day. I love fresh fruits and veggies- definitely one of the perks of living in Florida!
I took my morning walk- I'm trying to increase the distance every day. I need to drive around the development and "clock" it so I know just how far I'm walking.
Did I tell you all that my dd and sil put their house on the market and if it sells they will be moving to Florida near us? It will be great to have the grandkids near- as long as they don't see me as the built in anytime babysitter!
Gotta run and work on my organizational chores while the mood hits. Have a good day, everyone!
Carol
Old 05-29-2002, 11:34 AM   #11  

Carol, thanks so much for the pics of dgd and dgs; they're precious! Great news about your ds and dsil maybe moving to Fl, too. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new home; I envy you that swimming pool! And it sounds like a great place to walk, too. Re: the plateau, I think you should be proud of yourself for maintaining your terrific loss. Now that you're ready to tackle that last little bit, I'm sure it will come off steadily and you'll be able to maintain at goal just as you maintained this year. In fact, the more I read about it, the more I believe that it's a good thing to plateau for a while, to give the body a chance to adjust to all the changes. I think that's what helped me (the plateau princess) learn how to maintain.

Linda, I agree with Carol re: unlimited fruits and some veggies. Carrots have about 50 calories a cup, one banana over 100, and even blueberries are 90 calories a cup! A whole mango is 152. So they could add up, without a person realizing it. I really do think the point system is a very workable one, and there are still many "free" veggies that are unlimited. The idea of filling up on veggies is great, though! Vegetable soup helps me a lot. Have you read that book Volumetrics? Next to "Thin for Life," it's my favorite healthy eating book. It even has some good recipes. And good for you, deciding to continue on the journey to goal! I know you'll do it, too.

Re: the weekend, Dad, dh and I really enjoyed Rockport. We cooked most of our meals, so ate very healthy stuff like Kashi, grilled shrimp & veggies, and salad. Swam in the pool, and took the kayak out in the ocean! (Well, across the entrance to the harbor bay, anyway!) Dh now loves kayaking, and was amazed at how fast we could go. (Guys!) We even saw an entire family of dolphins, close up! They were jumping out of the water all over the place! Not a bit afraid of us.

Re: the iron monster, am still holding right around my goal weight of 155, + or minus 1 one pound, but am still hoping to reach my personal goal of 144 or so. Hearing everyone else's determination *really* helps! I was so excited to read y'all's posts today. Here Carol is doing the healthy Florida lifestyle, Linda is walking and eating all those veggies, JOYce is doing water aerobics, Texaslady is recovering nicely and eating light, and Janet (oh Jaaa--net! We miss you!) last time I heard from her was journaling faithfully.

How about we make 2002 the year that we all reach our goals? We have over 7 months left! I was reading some of our very first posts, over two years ago when this group started. We talked a lot about exercise, points, and overcoming challenges. Maybe if we focus on the weight loss journey (and now seems like the opportune time) and post as frequently as we can, we can all help each other get there?! (Boy, now *that* would be a good story for Oprah or something like that!) What do you think? And anyone else reading this thread, if you're ready to take up the journey with us, we'd love to have you!

Hope to hear from everyone soon!
Regards,
Jan
Old 05-29-2002, 04:39 PM   #12  
Inchworm

Default Back on the WW Bandwagon

Jan, you are such an encourager! How can we not want to succeed?!? You are loaded with useful and helpful information!

I went down to the church while ago to clean some cupboards, and reached for my soda to take with me to drink, but then had another thoght and dug oout my WW sipper and filled it with ice water. Drank every drop and refilled for a second cup.
It's a start.

How fun it must be to kayak with your dh! did you get pix to share on this trip? I loved seeing the pix of Carol's little sweeties!
I think there was more dress than baby! what cuties!

dh smoked some of his fish, so I am off to share with some friends.

have a great day!
Old 05-29-2002, 04:51 PM   #13  

Default SUPER!

Hey, Jan, I really like your challenge to all of us. I think that is what *I* need, anyway; a swift kick in the bumpus to get back OP and going again. I will say that I had oat bran for breakfast this morning for 3 points, and I not only wrote it down, intending to write down all of my points today, but I actually entered it into my WW blue points calculator in order to keep track that way, too. Hey! OP for a few hours already today -- I'm totally on my way!

Carol, I'm happy for you that your DD and her family will be moving to Florida, that is just great! Hold your ground about not being "on call" 7 days a week, though! What a wonderful reunion that will be, I can just imagine how you are looking forward to their being close by again. I do believe that you and Jan are probably right about not eating unlimited fruits... and what an opportunity you have now to be buying fresh fruits and veggies right there in your complex! Keep up the healthy eating and the exercise; you can do it!
Old 05-29-2002, 09:22 PM   #14  

Default EXTRA! EXTRA! Read all about it!

I am so happy; it is 6:17 and we haven't had dinner yet, and my points so far today have added up to only six points! JOYce brought us some ahi (we are grateful for being on her list of recipients) and we'll have that in a cold pasta salad tonight. I am soooo jazzed.

I actually measured out my Wheat Thins this afternoon and was horrified at how few added up to three points...heretofore I had been eating at least 3-4 times as much at a sitting (no weighing and counting). Jan, thanks for the challenge, and to sic JOYce, thanks for the smoked ahi! I am indebted to you both for this OP day I'm having.

Blessings!
Old 05-29-2002, 10:46 PM   #15  

Default All riiiight!!

JOYce, way to go on the water! It's choices like that, that we make every day, that add up to ultimate success. And you have already done much more than make a new start, with your water aerobics; that sounds like such fun. Sure wish we lived close to y'all, what lucky friends you have; that smoked fish sounds great! Re: pics, Dad was taking a little nap when we kayaked, so didn't get any. But we'll get some next time!

Linda, wow, I don't think I've ever managed to go that long on so few points; you go, gal! Just be sure to get in your minimum so you keep that metabolism hummin' along. I know what you mean about measuring; I finally bought one of those neat little Teraillon scales, and it helped a lot. Sometimes I measure out larger bags of stuff like pretzels and crackers into those little snack bags, and label the points on the bag. Made it easier to take them along to work as snacks, or at home, to avoid having more than I'd intended. Re: wheat thins, that's my all-time favorite!

Had a good OP day today too. Dh and I walked 2 miles this morning at sunrise, but the rest of the day I've been working at the computer on this deadline. Sure will be glad to get this done! (It's a curriculum writing contract I took on a few months ago. Almost done! Whew.)

Hi to Carol, Texaslady and Janet! Janet, drop in when you can; we miss you!
Regards,
Jan
Closed Thread