View Poll Results: How do you love being in your 40's?
I wish I was younger 6 35.29%
I wish I was older 0 0%
I have no opinion 2 11.76%
This is the best time of my life! 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 08:25 PM   #31  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Height: 5'6"

Default OPPS!!!

Opps.....I haven't signed "Patti" in ages....
Old 05-15-2002, 10:25 PM   #32  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Patti/Zoe!!! now don't go confusing the newer people here! Have a great time on the canoe trip. Last time I did that (many moons ago) it wasn't my arms that hurt, but my knees. You'll have fun

~Jen

p.s....i tried the font and it worked!!!! YAY!!!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 11:57 PM   #33  

Okay, what gives with the big, colorful, bold type. I can't get mine to work. [B][SIZE=3][FONT=arial][COLOR=royalblue][U]

ZOE, nope, not quite there yet, in fact I haven't walked since last Thursday. I've been a bad girl!! But I haven't given up. That canoe trip sounds wonderful.

[FONT=arial][COLOR=royalblue]

JENNY, I hope that someday that my daughters will be inspired to try for a degree. So far, neither have very high aspirations in life. I keep hoping, all I can do is set an example.

Well, I'm off to bed, ya'll take care.

Ruth
Old 05-16-2002, 02:14 AM   #34  

RUTH,
I am very excited but I am overwhelmed a little. I know I will fall in love with the Mountains and climate. Bruce loves it there. I just want to be Samanth from Bewitched and be there and unpacked now. I hate thinking of the preparation for such a trip. I won't want to come back.
With bold colors, just decide what color and click on it and type message in little rectangle that pops up and click ok. Copy it and then delete it and click on size and click on huge and then paste what you copied in the rectangle that pops up and click on ok. Go down and copy again and delete and click on bold and paste in rectangle again and hit ok. I can't just add . Didn't work for me.

JEN,

I need 2 tvs, computer, bikes, microwave if one isn't available. Heating things up on stove is inhumane... I plan to get Brandon and Bradley in shape for football while out there we will breathe the mountain air and I won't want to come home. I just know it. My sister and BIL are flying down to visit. That will be so much fun. The Olympic training center is there. I haven't been any further west than Tenn., Ken... It will be so cool! When we took Britt's hamster on trips to Ohio we would sneak him in the restaurants in my purse. Carrier and all fit in there. Don't think I can do that with Tanner.

ZOE,
Brittany would go through withdrawals if I didn't take the computer. If not we have Bruce's laptop. But I want the big one. Can't get used to those laptops.
The canoe trip sounds wonderful. Your arms will look wonderful.
Have fun!!!!!

Goodnight everyone!!!
Terri
Old 05-16-2002, 12:56 PM   #35  

Zoe,
You're going to love the canoe trip, but yes you will be sore the next day. More in the shoulders than the arms if I remember correctly. Steve and I used to canoe all the time when we lived back east. We would win races and everything. We had to get rid of it when we moved. I miss it and keep trying to convince him we should buy another. I think he just doesn't want something else to take care of and load/unload onto the van.
Your friends home on the river sounds lovely. I grew up very close to the Connetquot River (on L.I.) and spent many many hours playing on or in it. I really miss living near the water. We are about 30 minutes from the Bay here in Livermore, and an hour from the Pacific. Every now and then I tell the family that I need an ocean fix and off I go(usually they come along for the ride).

Terri,
I know what you are going through with the packing. My parents were "Snow Birds" in FL for about 10 years. They traveled with their cat. They would go back and forth for ~6 months at a time. They got very good at packing, but then again they didn't have any kids with them. I also remember when Steve and I moved out here to CA. We decided to make a a vacation of it and took 4 1/2 weeks to drive out. We wanted to stop and see friends/family do some sight seeing, camping and scuba diving. We were able to survive for a whole month with just the stuff we could fit in a Honda Civic hatchback. That included all of our camping and scuba gear. It was actually very freeing not having to worry about anything except what was with us. Our friends and family didn't seem too put out when we came and after the Hellos we asked "Can we use your washer and dryer?"

My buddies,
I think I have written enought of a novel for one day. Sorry I didn't get to address each of you individually. Hope you all have a wonderful Thur.

Hugs,
JanieD
Old 05-16-2002, 03:00 PM   #36  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Today is a very bittersweet day for me.....Joey has leased an apartment and will be moving out. He will be 24 this year, I know deep down that it's perfectly normal that he should be on his own. However, the mom in me is saying, "NONONONO" !

He has a good job, and, more importantly, a good head on his shoulders. I don't have to worry about him in that respect......but he is my baby.

This is a very exciting time for him. He's got a roomfull of stereo, video, audio, computer equipment here, but no household items to speak of. Shopping to set up the first apartment is a blast.

The town he's moving to is only 10 minutes away, we'll see him often; I already told him he's got to come for dinner once a week.

I'm feeling a bit lost....of course Joe said now we can walk around naked if we want typical guy-take on the situation!

The best part is that now Joe and I are back to where we started, it's just the two of us.

thanks for listening,
~Jen (feeling quite old at the moment!)

Last edited by Jenny523; 05-16-2002 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:23 PM   #37  

Angry

Boy you girls have been busy!! I can't stay away too long cause then I get way behind in reading all your posts. I love it though. Hope Myra can come back soon.

Zoe, HOW EXCITING! I've never been on a canoe but would like to try it. Ouch! Talk about sore arms Did you see The River Wild? Meryl Streep had some toned arms in that movie. Sounds like a lot of fun.

My Girl Jen, how I can relate. David was 22 yrs old when he moved out. It was so quiet I couldn't stand it. He always had music on & friends over. It was very lively. Pete on the other hand adjusted real quick. I'm glad to hear he's only 10 minutes away. Dave moved out 9 yrs ago & we talk on the phone everyday & he comes over once a week or I go visit him. They will always be our babies. Don't hesitate to email me if you need to.

My Buds, thanks for asking about my arm. Every now & then I feel a sharp pain. The Dr. wants me to rest it as much as possible & gave me Ibuprofen 600 mil. for the pain. She said for the next couple of weeks not to do much of anything. I told her I'm a secretary & I type all day, write messages etc. It almost seemed like she wanted me to take off work for a few days. She said it's a really bad case of tendinitis. How I got it? I have no idea.

Janie, my brother takes the kids canoeing(sp?) at Connetquot. I keep forgetting you're a L.I. girl What ever happened with your elbow?

How's our challenge going? I'm at a stand still. I need to try harder. The Saboteur told the Points Lady that she doesn't want to hear anything about points anymore!!! It was so funny.

Terri, I can understand now why you're a little nervous about this trip. I hate packing but I hate unpacking even more. You were away from here too long so I hope in those 6 weeks you'll be checking in with us.

Patti/Zoe here we go again. Everytime I think of Dianne thinking you were two people I crack up.

Ruth, have you had a chance to walk? Since my arm has been hurting I didn't do anything for 1 week. I got on the treadmill today for 1/2 hr. It felt good.

Well, I'll be back tomorrow.

Have a nice eveing everyone.

Hugs,
Es

Last edited by Livinghealthy; 05-17-2002 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:33 AM   #38  

Default getting caught up!

Boy, don't sign on for a few days and the posts really stack up!!

I guess I've just been busy at work/church and didn't realize I hadn't been here for a few days. Glad to hear that all is going well.

TERRI -- you'll love Colorado Springs! I haven't been there in ages, but I know it's still beautiful.

Well today was my WI and I'm up 1/2 lb. Not a huge thing I guess, but disappointing anyway. I did have a rough week. yesterday was staff appreciation day where I work, so we got to see a movie (Star Wars) and had a buffet lunch (and I had a slice of carrot cake). Gotta get back on track this week and see a decrease next Friday!!

I'm going on a weekend vacation in early August so must look good in a swimsuit I've even been to a tanning salon a couple of times 'cause I'm tired of being lily white

Have a great Friday, girls, and I'll post again tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:06 PM   #39  

Thanks HollyGirl. Bruce said it gorgeous. Can't wait.
1.2 pound isn't to bad. You will get that off. Stick with it.

JanieD,
You and Steve sound like you have so much fun. It is great that you two do so much athletically.

Jen,
I am so sorry your baby is moving out. I would be so happy never to have an empty nest. I am so glad it isn't too far away.
I remember my mom when I left Ohio for Florida at 24. It was traumatic. Have fun and now you have even more incentive to stay op. Naked around the house. Like I said have fun.

Es,
That is way to funny about the sabatour and the point girl. I can just picture it. I hope your tendonitis gets better. That has to be rough. Great job on the treadmill. "weigh" to go.
I will get on as much as I can while in Co. I promise.

Doing well today. I made this stuffed french toast that was so good. I used light cream cheese instead of fat free though. Here is the recipe:

Stuffed French Toast

Recipe by: Cooking Healthy with a Man in Mind cookbook

4 Points Per Serving

8 slices reduced-calorie white bread
1/4 cup (2 ounces) Philadelphia fat-free cream cheese
1/4 cup strawberry spreadable fruit spread
2 eggs or equivalent in egg substitute
2 tablespoons skim milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Spread 1 teaspoon cream cheese onto each slice of bread. Spread 1
teaspoon fruit spread over top of each. Put bread together to form 4
sandwiches. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, skim milk, and vanilla
extract. Beat well, using a fork. Spray a griddle or large skillet
with butter-flavored cooking spray. Dip each sandwich into egg
mixture, coating both sides evenly. Place on griddle and cook 2 to 3
minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve at once.

Serves 4 - Each serving equals: HE: 1 Br, 3/4 Pr (1/2 limited), 1 Fr,
3 OC 182 Calories, 2 gm Fa, 13 gm Pr, 28 gm Ca, 400 mg So, 1 gm Fi
DIABETIC: 1 St, 1 Mt, 1 Fr

TTYL,
Terri
Old 05-17-2002, 01:14 PM   #40  

Hi Es,
Thanks for asking about my elbow. The Dr's office finally called me on Wed and I have an apt on the 30th. I guess it must be something because no one would tell me on the phone the MRI results. "The Dr. needs to discuss it with you in person." Now of course ... I am worried .
Considering what you do for a living I wouldn't be very supprised if your tendonitis is from a repeatitive stress injury. DO take care of yourself!
Do you know the Idle Hour area of Oakdale, by the Connetquot River? That is where I grew up. Right near Dowling College.

Terri,
I had to laugh when you made that comment about Steve and I doing fun stuff together. When we were first dating we were in graduate school at Stony Brook and I was still living at home. We would always be off on some kind of hike, canoe trip, softball game, the beach, or other adventure. My mom said to me, "You know, Steve isn't your boyfriend, he's your playmate." I thought about it for a minute and said "You're right, what's wrong with that?" Having grown up during the depression I don't think she ever considered a guy as anything but a provider. Unfortunately my parents marriage hasn't been very happy because they don't realy enjoy each other's company and have very little in common. When I told Steve that story, we dicided we would always make time to play. That is my prescription for a good marriage. Sounds like you are going to have lots of time to play now, Jen Enjoy it!!!

Got to get back to work now.
Hugs to all,

JanieD
Old 05-17-2002, 02:24 PM   #41  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Terri, that recipe sounds really good; I've printed it to try next weekend, thanks!

Es, please take care of that arm! If it is due to work, it'll be a challenge to get it back to health if you don't take some time off. If you're not able to exercise, that may be why you're at a standstill.

Janie, your rx for marriage is a good one! I know it's hard to not worry about what the dr. is going to tell you. I'll keep my fingers crossed, let us know.

Holly Girl, all we can do is try to not go overboard when occasions arise. Where are you going in August? That's good incentive!

Thanks for the thoughts about Joey moving. It'll be a while to get used to just 2 of us here. I've gained a guest bedroom, which is a very good thing!

later,
~Jen
Old 05-17-2002, 06:57 PM   #42  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Default For you Jen

Hey Jen, this post is just for you.........

I don't know if you remember me talking about my "baby" moving only less than a year ago.....what a horrible time I had. He was just under 22, only 21 y/o and decided that it was time to move out. I know and I really knew that it was probably a good thing but my heart was breaking. He moved out on a day when my husband happened to be out of town on business. It just worked out that way. I came home from work that day to no hubby there, no cooking to get done and when walked in the back door, in the kitchen and looked down the hallway to my baby's room, his computer, desk, and bed were gone. He was coming back for more 'stuff' but that sight just killed me. (I sure hope I'm not making it worse for you with this story sweetie) He is in the same town although Fort Worth is HUGE. He is looking to move to an apt closer to this side of town when his lease is up. I hate having an "empty nest" and would probably have another baby if I didn't think people would think I was crazy. Anyway, I know what you're going through as my situation is still pretty new too. My thoughts are with you.......I guess it's just a way of life.....our little one's grow up.

Love,
Patti <><
Old 05-17-2002, 09:40 PM   #43  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Patti,
I do remember what you were going through when your son moved out....and how I prayed it'd be a long long time before we went through it. Thanks for the reminder of how strong we can be when we must be.
The situation could be far far worse, I know that. He'll be close by, and it's not like he's moving back to Chicago, in which case I'd worry about his safety depending on which neighborhood he chose.
I can totally understand your comment about having another baby...we have so much love to give it doesn't seem unreasonable.
It's great that your son will be looking for something closer to you!
Thank you so much for the encouraging words
love,
~Jen
Old 05-18-2002, 06:54 AM   #44  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Good Saturday Morning!

I'm on my way to my canoe trip and so excited. This will be SO much fun!! Have a wonderful Saturday and I'll talk to you's guys tonight.

Me<><
Old 05-18-2002, 01:46 PM   #45  

I just want to say thank you for reminding me how fast this can all go. My babies are 16, 11 & 9. I will never be ready for this. I know it will happen and I want to thank you for the reminder.
I felt so sorry for you Zoe. I remember.
Thanks JanieD. for reminding me also about having fun. It is very important. We used to go water skiing and sailing and stuff. We will have to do some of that this summer.

I lost 1#. YAY!!! Brandon stayed at a friends last night. Can't get used to having them gone all night. It gets easier though.

Have a great Saturday.
Hope your arm is better Es.

Terri
Closed Thread