Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #46  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Just a quickie here --

Princess, do you make bean soup? I find that's a great, filling, cheap way to get in lots of veggies. I buy a bag of mixed dried beans that usually also comes with a flavor packet. I use low sodium chicken broth instead of water, and I add carrots, onions, celery, and a bunch of seasonings. Sometimes I also add light smoked sausage, too. Just throw it all together and cook for a couple of hours. And it makes a ton!

Had a lovely, quiet weekend here. DH was out of town, so I had the house to myself. Read a lot, puttered, etc. It was great. He's back now and sore from helping our friend move!

Going to see the doctor tomorrow for THAT appointment, you know the one I mean! :P At least she'll see that I've lost about 25 pounds since I saw her last summer, that will be fun. It's always more fun to see the doctor when the scale has gone down!

Have a great week, everyone.
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #47  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Turtles,
Lauren, yes I do have a photo of myself at a lower weight and I'm going to get it on the fridge to remind myself. It's a great idea. Somehow a "I can't do this attitude" is pummeling me right now for no reason. I have given up and it's just plain stupid. So, for today again I'll be on track. I bought a chicken (not already rotisseried) and roasted it and it was delicious. I've got 3/4 of it left and I'm going to make a ragout. Princess, this is what I do: put some chicken broth (or water and a boullion cube) in a pot with diced potatoes, diced carrots, and some thinly sliced celery. Poultry seasoning is the easiest way to flavor a chicken dish since it already has thyme and rosemary in it and everyone has leftovers from Thanksgiving. Cook the veggies until tender, then add in the cooked chicken to heat through. You can thicken the sauce with a little flour or cornstarch. My aunt would serve it over toasted bread, but over rice or even couscous would be good.

Another easy recipe is to check out www.campbell.com for their soup recipes.
These are one pot meals using pasta, rice or noodles or stovetop stuffing, chicken, veggies, sometimes cheese, and a can of soup. These are tasty and easy to make and if you use ff or low fat cheese and fat reduced soup the points aren't bad for a whole meal.

I make bean soup like Lauren. I also make a chicken soup with lots of veggies. I tried Bandit's chicken casserole which is very tasty and here's the recipe:
2 cooked chicken breasts, skinless
1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup
1can water
1 cup salsa
1 cup frozen corn
3/4 cup parcooked rice

4oz. light cheddar cheese shredded

Chop up chicken and mix all but cheese together. bake for 1 hour at 350. Then add 4 oz. cheese and broil until bubbly.
Six servings at 6 points each.

I'll keep on thinking of recipes, and will post more. I love soup this time of year, especially chock full of veggies--I have no problem buying the large bags of blended veggies (Winter mix, Italian mix, etc) on sale and pouring them into water, boullion cube, and crushed tomatoes with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic. Yummy. Do you have the original WW soup recipe with the shredded cabbage? If not, let me know and I'll post that for you. It is hearty, zero points and just the thing to fill us in.

Here's another very easy and comforting soup:
Fran's Tortellini Spinach Soup

2 cans chicken broth
2 cans tomatoes (diced, Italian style 15oz.--any variety works--I've tried the kind with jalapeno peppers, etc)
1# pkg. tortellini
1 10oz. pkg. frozen spinach
Defrost spinach and add it to the four cans into a pot
When hot, add tortellini--when tortellini floats to the top it's all done!
(You can always use water and boullion cube instead of broth for much less money!)

Okay, now I feel better and I'll make one of these recipes for tonight.

Bandit, keep up the good work! You're doing great!
Lauren, sorry about the appointment but your doc will be happen to see so much less of you!
Princess, I am so sorry about your ds--it's hard to be young and it's hard to be a young guy's parent. Glad you're interested in foods to fit into your program and here's some : because it can't hurt.

Ariana, in case you're checking in, we're all thinking about you and wishing you well.

Cherry and Chrily, how are you doing?
TAke care and be well.
JUdy
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #48  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Turtles,
I'm starting a new thread and I'll see you all over at #210
Judy
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote