Old 11-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #16  

G'day all,

Trish I am really avoiding all artificial sweetened products and trying to eat fresh as much as I can.
I made a huge pot of vegetable soup which should last for some time!

My homeopath said to try and avoid all diet type food, however stick to low fat wherever you can. She said that there is so much c--p in diet food which really is the cause of many health problems like indigestion, sleeping problems etc. etc.
Alan (dh) does not eat any of the diet foods that I eat but does eat low fat and it is amazing that he doesn't have half the problems that I have and is a normal weight!

I also saw an interview some time ago with a french woman promoting a french cookbook and the question came up why most french people are quite slender despite the fact they eat whatever they wish BUT in small portions.

I am feeling better and sleeping better, I will try and stick to the fresh food and no diet foods.

Hope you are all having a great weekend.

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 11-22-2008 at 09:29 PM.
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Maria - Thanks for sharing what the homeopath told you. As of today after reading your post, I am going to work at giving up sweetners and diet foods and see how I do. I'm thinking I may even do better on WW. Actually, I have heard some of what you are saying before especially from peope who choose to eat "whole foods" way. I read that sweetners actually makes you hungry. Of course, a lot of diet foods have trans fats in them. I have a Diabetic Diet/Cookbook that says for diabetic to use sugar rather than sweetners. So there must be a lot more to all this than we realized. I am glad you are feeling better and sleeping better too. I am trying to stay with more fresh and whole foods as well.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #18  

G'day all,

Trish I don't know if this is just in my head or what, but it has been 10 days since I started being very conscious of not eating diet food and I do feel better and the sales are going down ever so slightly

It will be interesting to see how this will pan out in the long run.

Alan will be home in 9 days time, it will be easier to stick to home cooking then. He hates any fast food.

It is very interesting to read in your post about your diabetic cookbook and to use sugar rather then a sweetener

It is a warm day here with some rain forecast. The garden badly needs a bit of rain.

Cheers
Maria
Old 11-25-2008, 05:46 AM   #19  
suz
suz

S/C/G: 178/150.6/135

Height: 5'3"

Morning all
Its been 3 weeks since I was here last where does the time go I think we are all finished with the garden for this year the last thing we did was to plant the garlic and green onions then we put compost and the leaves we had raked and rotilled all that in

We have decided to move our herb plants into our bigger gardens as compnions plants If you grow certain plants next to each other they beneifit each other That will give us more room for our rhubarb and asparagus I think with the 3 gardens we have between 1/4 and 1/3 of an acre in vegatables since I am spokeperson for our market I have been working on getting a vendor with beef and I just heard from another vendor and she has another vendor who is going to come next year

Well today is our day to go to town and it snowed again last night this is theabout the fourth time we have had snow but it will go as the temp is going above the freezing mark and then we are getting rain

Take care all Suz
suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:24 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Suz - You are always soooo busy. Are you still getting snow? Looked like it on the weather channel.

FELLOW AMERICANS!!!
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #21  
suz
suz

Morning Ladies
Yes it is still snowing we shovelled yesterday and again this morning In the last 24 hrs we have gotten over 3 inches of snow but it is very mild and it is still snowing very lightly

Suz
Old 11-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #22  
Member Florida Chick

Hi All:

I have been catching up with all your posts, and must say I find the diet food discussion very interesting. I can't say that I really eat much so called diet food. I do use splenda and i think that the other diet food I use is Hot chocolate mix with splenda. I mostly stick to low fat, high fiber foods, and also more natural. I haven't been buying organic food, as it is so much more expensive.

I am happy to say that I now have the cast off my foot, and just wear a sort of ace bandage around the area. I can wear sneakers, and the Dr. says after two weeks i can resume normal activites, like walking and Curves. That is good news for me.

Today has been busy. I have to make pies for our Thanksgiving dinner at the clubhouse. I will also roast a Turkey. That way I get a carcass, so I can make Turkey soup. I made pumpkin, pecan, apple, and mince chiffon. (my own recipe) You get the mince flavor but not the heaviness) The mince is also quite low fat and low sugar, so that will probably be my dessert tomorrow.

Maria- I hope you are sleeping better. And is the bar of soap still helping you with the restless leg? I sure know when the soap is away from Phil's side of the bed. Last night I had to find it, as he was kicking away, until I moved it over. i had never thought about the computer making ones brain work and stay excited enough to detract from sleep. I'll have to remember that.

Karen- I am so sorry that you are having hearing aid difficulties. I hope that they can come up with a solution for you. Just don't do what Phil did- go into the shower with them in. It cost us $250 to get that one repaired. And I think that was probably a reasonable amount.
HOpe your iron is getting ironed out.: Phil had a similar problem and the Dr. before doing the bone marrow test, started giving him iron infusions. He was doing it once a week for a while, and then every two, then once a month and finally every 3 months. After a while he seemed to level off, and now he hasn't had any infustions in nearly a year. Hope you could try that before the bone marrow test.

Suz: Sound like you have your gardens all buttoned up for the winter. I wish I had space enough to have a nice herb garden, but all we have is just a little postage stamp of land. I don't envy you shoveling snow.

Trish- nice to see you back, and good luck with the weight loss. Your are doing well, and just keep up the motivation. I think I will do better once I can get back to walking and exercising.

Gloria- You are doing well with your weight loss. Good for you. And isn't it maddening that men can lose weight without hardly trying. After Phil started rehab exerciseing he lost 20# and we thought there was something wrong with him at first

I hope all of us U.S. gals will have a good Thanksgiving, and that we can stay on program and still enjoy the family time.

Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #23  

G'day all,

Suz sound like your garden is all ready for next spring. I am a bit like Ann and wished I did have a bit more garden to grow veggies but the flower garden I have keeps me pretty busy.
I have decided to try and grow herbs in pots, I have a perfect sunny spot for it.
I have bought a huge bamboo plant which I have divided and stuck into two large pots. I bought it at a market and I am not sure if it is the clumping variety or the very invasive one so they are now in pots and look great.

Ann yes I do still have the soap in my bed and so far no problem with restless legs.
I know what you mean about organic food, very expensive. I do try and buy the organic chicken, amazing the difference in taste.
We have a market nearby which is becoming increasingly popular and there are quite a few people there selling their own produce, I usually try and get some veggies there.
It is more the light of the computer screen that stimulates the brain.

Less then a week now and Alan will be home
The latest terrorist attacks in Mumbai are very scary even more so to think that Alan stayed at the Oberoi when he was in Mumbai
He thought the security was very thorough when he stayed there.
The Peninsula Hotel in Manilla was invaded by the military not so long ago and again it was a hotel we stayed at. The security was unbelievable, it just goes to show that security MUST be a deterent but where there is a will there is a way.
Big problems in Thailand which borders with Malaysia, I'll be glad when he is home safe and sound.

Alan has had a few more offers for work overseas, nothing definite. We will decide when there is a definite offer, it all depends where in the world.
They desperately want him back in Malaysia next year but we have decided that he will not go back there.
We will have to work out our finances, the result of that will very much dictate what we do next.

Busy day trying to get my latest customer's website up and running. He is a very nice young man but he is constantly changing his mind

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

Cheers
Maria
Old 11-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #24  
Member Florida Chick

I'm sitting here in the 'turkey stupor' trying to decide if I really want a nap. I brought home some turkey carcasses and they are on the stove to get some turkey soup stock. That is one of the best parts of the meal, the leftovers.

Maria, I'm so glad the soap is working for you. It is such an unbelievably crazy cure, and it is hard to figure out why it works. Just glad that it does.

I certainly think you are wise with the decision for Alan not to go back to Malaysia, I think that part of the world is heating up with the terrorists. And scary in Mumbai to think that they were after people with British and American passports.

I'm afraid the couch is calling. bye for now. Ann

Last edited by Lizziepie; 11-27-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #25  

G'day all,

First day of summer for us today and it is a beautiful warm day.

Not much happening down this way, I have 2 days to get my house ship-shape before Alan comes home on Thursday.
Wednesday I look after the grand girls so not a lot will be done on that day.

I have bought 7 different types of herbs this weekend and have them all potted, nurtured them with fertisliser so lets hope they all survive!
The basil smell is very strong and when I have the window open all the aromas waft into my kitchen.
Now I have to work out what herbs I use in what

Ann it is amazing the soap remedy for restless legs. I am sleeping better but my problem now is waking up at 5 am and not being able to go back to sleep. At least getting to sleep is a huge improvement and I am thankful for that.
I am seeing the homeopath again tomorrow.

I did get VERY sunburnt this weekend and got a telling off from Matilda (grand daughter) I went to the cricket and thought I would sit in the sun for a while, a friend came to join me and before we knew it we had been sitting there for over 2 hours there was a cool breeze making us quite oblivious of the damage the sun was doing.

Hope you all had a great weekend,

Cheers
Maria
Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #26  

Haven't been here in like forever. But now you have me intrigued with the soap remedy for restless legs. What is it????? If it works I want to know. Now I will have to come back and find out the answer.
Been busy with nothing in particular. School has been really busy this year. Had a few odd things happen. A teacher had her wallet stolen by a guy who snuck in a back door at dismissal time. Last week our janitor went missing for a day and a half. He was found but it is a secret about whatever happened to him.
One of the teachers has been going to WW and the transformation is amazing. She has lost about 40lbs and looks great. I have decided to start tomorrow[saying this after eating a couple pieces of pizza]. I like your thoughts on the fresh fruit, no diet and no bread etc. Hope I can stick to it.
Maria how frightening that you stayed at those hotels. I would be picky about your next assignment. I hope my nephew in Chennai stays safe.
Glenda how exciting about redoing your bathroom. I would love to redo ours. We are in the process of painting.
Karen that is a bummer about your new hearing aids. Hope you get used to them. I know that my mil has trouble with hers. Take care of yourself.
Gloria way to go with the weight loss. How exciting to have a new Apple. My sis loves hers.
Ann hope you are better and can start all your activities. I know that you are so active-it must be hard to be sidelined for a while.
Hi Slavika and Trudy. Hope you are well.
Peggy
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #27  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Peggy: Thisis the soap remedy for restless leg. It appeared in our paper in the People Pharmacy column sometime ago. Phil had tried everything to no avail, and so we decided what could we lose. You can always use a cake of soap. They reccommend pure so, no creams or deodorants, so we got good old Ivory. you put the cake of soap between the bottom sheet and mattress about where the calf of your leg would be. And that is it. I can always tell when the soap is over on my side of the bed, since Phil starts the kicking again. And as soon as I scooch down and put it back he quiets right down. Don't know why it works, can't explain it. But it does. It may not work for everyone but is sure has made our sleeping better. And Maria says it is helping her too.

We have been icicies for yesterday and today. It was cold here, got down in the 30's and our heat pump died yesterday afternoon. We haave a small electric heater and we used that in the bedroom, with the door closed.We managed to get the temperture to about 60deg. We had lots of blankets, and flannel nighties. This a.m. I baked muffins and cookies, and the oven heat helped. Now the sun is warming up some. Now we are going to enjoy our Christmas present, Anniversary present, and probably birthdays as well, or some time, since the cost of this was not in the plans. Hopefully they will get the new one installed this afternoon. I don't really want another cold night like that again. Even the cat was snuggling right up to me and she is usually the aloof one

The new heat pump is being installed nw. Hurrah!!!

Ann.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #28  

Ann
Hope the new heat pump is working .It's still a bit cool out side. We had to go out early this morning and there was frost on the car. We had to wear our Minnesota coats! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Karen L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #29  

G'day all,

It has been a while since I was here, hope everyone is well.

I am surprised at you having icicles Ann I didn't think it got that cold in Florida.

Peggy
it was nice to see you, the soap in the bed works but I have no idea why or how

It is quite a warm day here and it is pouring with rain My garden will love this very good rainfall.
It is supposed to continue for a few days, I don't think anyone is upset about it other then carolers

I am fairly well organised for Christmas now so bring it on!!!!

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #30  
suz
suz

Morning ladies
Hope everyone is well My DH (Gary) and I have been shovelling snow and more snow It snowed from late monday and all day tuesday and again early Wed morning in all we ended up with 8 inches (20cm) and now its cold but by monday we get a thaw mid 40F
I fell on our deck about 2 weeks and landed on my right shoulder its still a bit sore so I have missed 4 of my last 5 exercise classes so I have been walking I am going about 2.5 miles (4k) My DH said he would go with me but has not yet thats OK it gives me time to clear my head and enjoy the scenery

the next 10 days or so will be a little busy doing a bit of christmas baking and extra cleaning My DH's daughter and husband are supposed to come up after christmas for a few days but I am not holding my breath on that one

Take care Suz