Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 09:44 AM   #1  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Thursday's Crackpots

Starting the thread, will be back to post a sweet little story...
Old 04-18-2002, 09:47 AM   #2  
One Sick Puppy

Cracked Pots

A water bearer in India had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it, while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water. At the end of the long walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full. For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots full of water to his house. Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments, perfect for which it was made. But, the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do. After 2 years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream. I am ashamed of myself, and I want to apologize to you. I have been able to deliver only half my load because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way b ack to your house. Because of my flaws, you have to do
all of this work, and you don't get full value from your efforts". The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there were
flowers only on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's side? That's because I have always known about your flaw, and I planted flower seeds on your side of the path. Every day as we walk back, you've watered them. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without
you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house.

Moral: Each of us has our own unique flaws. We're all cracked pots. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make
our lives together so interesting and rewarding. You've just got to take each person for what they are, and look for the good in
them. Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape. Remember to appreciate all the different people in
your life!

I know that this board isn't really for sharing that sort of thing, but I loved the story when I read it and thought it was a nice way to start our Thursday. I'll check in later to write a real post.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:56 AM   #3  

Angry

Nicely said Jess....be back soon!!
Old 04-18-2002, 10:06 AM   #4  

Angry

I found a pretty good avatar site if you all are interested in a new icon by your name for the summer!

http://dreamquest.to/AvatarVault.htm
Old 04-18-2002, 01:06 PM   #5  

Default Former Lurker

Hey everyone

I know you won't mind me jumping in here with all your requests for posts from us lurkers! I used to post on a couple other threads, but never really found a group that I clicked with. I guess I could just never really explain why I would deny myself "real food" all day long and then go out at night and drink 5 pints of beer (like last night)! From what I've read so far, you girls will have no problem understanding my logic

About me, I don't actually follow weight watchers I did it back in college for about 10 weeks and pretty much lost nothing - not because of the plan, but because I rebelled against it for some reason. I try to count calories nowadays and track what I eat in an online food diary. Of course I never can quite seem to stay within my calorie limits, but that's besides the point. I basically view counting points and counting calories as being very similar.

Anyway, I started this "lifestyle" this past August and I've lost just over 40 lbs. I have been in a rut the last couple months, and I need to get re-motivated for summer! Reading the posts on these message boards always helps to keep me focused on weight loss, but I think it's time for me to become a bit more accountable to a group - I need people to kick my butt to keep me in line sometimes Quick bio - I'm 24, live in the Washington DC area, have the world's most boring job possible, have no serious boy and pretty much just like to go out to bars with my friends for fun.

OK, don't want to make this too long for my first time - although I have to say I'm kind of worried about a work dinner I have tonight at a great mexican restaurant. I'm telling myself to just get a salad and a light beer....but when I get there I know I'm going to want margaritas, chips and fajitas. Willpower....where can I buy some?

Lexxy
Old 04-18-2002, 01:22 PM   #6  

Lexxy,

Welcome to our group. This group is the best!!!! I hear you about the dinner tonight. How about not eating anything, and just drinking?? (I'm just kidding, but a few years ago in my college days I would have saved all my points for alcohol!!!! )
I would have the beer, order chicken fajitas, and make sure all guac and sour cream is on the side. Or, how about chicken tacos? That is pretty low fat. Check out www.dwlz.com, Dottie has all major restaurants (many like Chi Chi's listed) that gives you all the nutritional info. Then you can plan ahead. Do your best, but sometimes we all falter. (And I always seem to faulter with alcohol, can't have just one!! -- a couple weeks ago, I must of had 15 pts worth of diet coke/captain morgan's....not good......)

Anyway, welcome again, and don't be a stranger!!!
Old 04-18-2002, 02:43 PM   #7  
One Sick Puppy

Default My Real Post

Well, today has been a totally NON-WW day. We started the morning with pastries in a meeting, then for lunch had homemade sausages, homemade potato salad, and two cookies. I wonder if I can bill my work for my WW meetings, since they're always the one feeding me...

Welcome Lexxy2!! It's so nice to have a lurker come forward and join the group. I think you'll find that this is an AWESOME supportive bunch. Honestly, if it wasn't for these guys, I'm not entirely sure I'd have lost the almost 30 that I have.

Tanya--Thanks for posting that link to that avatar site. I'm always searching for sites like that but can never find them. As you can see, I used one that I found on there.

Where in the heck is everyone????? When I first started posting I was almost afraid to post because there were so many people and I was afraid that I'd be intruding by talking. But now, there's nobody. I like bouncing thoughts, ideas, feelings off of our large group, but it's been so small lately, there't not quite as much feedback. I know everyone's busy, but I miss you guys. Sniff...

OK, I gotta get some work done. Some guy out here wants me to drop everything to do the same thing everyone else out here wants me to do... Did that make sense?
Old 04-18-2002, 02:47 PM   #8  

Angry

I'm here today??

Where is everyone?? Kirst, Lolly, Jen, Jen, Stacey, Becky, Kay, Wintergirl, Ali, Kier, Rina, and everyone else I forgot!!

Come out and play with Jess, Lexxie and I!!!!!
Old 04-18-2002, 03:02 PM   #9  

Angry

Hey Ladies,

Here is a pic for ya to help you thru the day....
Old 04-18-2002, 04:20 PM   #10  
Bono Fanatic!

Default Hi all!

Didn't want to just be a lurker so I'm stopping in to say hi! I have a deal closing by the end of the day today, so work is crazy. Then, I have a 3 hour orientation for law school, which will be my first taste of how it feels to spend a full day working and then go to school for 3 hours (although come August I will be doing it 4 nights a week, not just one... ugh! )

Hi Jess and Tonya!! Thanks for being such loyal posters - you guys definitely keep me coming back!

Welcome to Winter and Lexxy!! We love new people!
And Lexxy, I promise you that I will be the last person to judge you for not eating so you can drink more. Let me put it this way - last Saturday all I had all day was chips, salsa and martinis! So I TOTALLY understand!!

I should have more time to write tomorrow....
Old 04-18-2002, 05:01 PM   #11  
Running Babe

The weather has been absolutely beautiful here and I have been enjoying every second of it, I like my job and all, but today was stressful, I guess that happens everywhere right!

One pair of jeans that I couldn't do up I can now, yeah me I have been OP all week (is it me, or do some of the rest of you lose your appetite over the summer too?).

I do apologize about being deliquent in my posting!

To Lexxy: Howdy!!! Congrats on your loss!!!

I also realized I have been under goal for almost a year! Neat eh! Even if I gained a little, I know I can lose this!!

Take Care!

Ali

(howdy to everyone else as well!)
Old 04-18-2002, 10:59 PM   #12  
Fed Up With Fat!!

Default Hey everyone!

I'm getting geared up for the weekend. We're going on a church retreat, so I'm packing. Yuck!!
I gained 2 pounds at ww on Tuesday and had a breakdown when I got home. Partly PMS and partly because I've put on about 20 pounds since July. That's really depressing. I didn't reach 200. I'm at 199.8 That's why I'm so adamant about losing my weight for not only my class reunion, but I miss feeling good!
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Tonya: Thanks for the avatar suggestion!!
Closed Thread