Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 11:25 AM   #1  
Turtle Buddy

Thumbs down Turtle Club #60

Hi, Turtle Buddies,

Here it is - my "official" version of the fable:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for about two years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We work toward accepting that our bodies have a natural speed of weight loss when we choose to live a healthy life, instead of "going on a diet". Many of us have experienced "the diets" as go on/lose weight-- go off/ gain the weight plus more back.

We choose to perservere with each choice we make throughout the day. We believe that choosing to be slow, steady turtles helps us to learn the skills we need to learn in order to not only lose the weight, but keep it off and become the healthiest people we can be.

So, welcome to all who realize that losing and maintaining a weight loss is a lifestyle change. And who want support as we all learn the skills we need to successfully make the changes that will allow us to reach our goals.

Happy turtlin', everyone!

Lin
Old 04-03-2002, 11:54 AM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

A lot has been going on since I last posted. I'm feeling better. It turns out it was TOM-related sleep deprivation. I got a couple really good night's sleep and I'm fine.

Got to the end of reading old posts and just had to put this little reply at the beginning:

Lauren--Way to go!! You passed up your April 17 goal and it's barely past the start of April. Woo hoo!!

A few comments about older posts--Actually, Lauren, my ds has become friends with his teacher. It's her advice and help outside the classroom that has done so much for him this past year. I'm grateful that he's found an adult I respect to confide in, since we're not that available.

Erin, I'm definitely not with you about Daylight Savings Time. I wish they'd do away with it altogether!! This night owl really hates having to get up that much earlier. If my dh wasn't on such a ridiculously early schedule, I'd stay up later and get up earlier. But if I followed my natural inclination, we'd only see each other on the weekends!!

I like your idea about getting new photos done with you in your wedding dress!! Sounds wonderful.

Judy, I'm glad your dd is feeling better. That's great news!!

Your discussion about meaningful dates, long-term vs. short-term goals, and related ideas was really interesting. I don't do well with weight/date type goals, as most of you know. But, I do need to set goals. That's something I've been a little lax on lately and it shows.

Lauren, I hope your tooth problem is getting taken care of and out of the way. I did the "four wisdom teeth at one time" thing, too. So I understand your stress about this new problem. Be sure if your dh gives you Valium that you tell your dentist. It may have an affect on the medications he/she gives you. (I'm sure you know this, but the mama in me seems to creep out when the health/safety of people I care about is on the line.)

Judy, you're doing great!! I like that you've planned out your food. That can be such a huge help.

I hope your treatments do allow you to avoid surgery. That would be terrific!

Great to hear that you're rejoining WW even though it's your vacation. You can do WW and enjoy your vacation. You know that. And you'll do it, too.

I've not been counting points as carefully the past few days. But I also haven't gone nuts with food. I'm noticing a pattern. During the time right after TOM, I don't want very much food. But when PMS hits, my appetite gradually increases until I get nuts for a couple of days. I need to figure out a way to deal with the nutso time so that I don't end up gaining every pound back that I lost the first part of the month, which results in maintaining my weight, month after month.

That pattern is why I quit WW at least twice in the past. But I don't want to quit again because I'd rather maintain than gain. But I'd also rather lose than maintain, at least until I'm comfortable with my weight.

I'm hoping to work with my body's hormonal schedule by not trying to lose weight during PMS/TOM. I think I'll add 4 points to my range during that time evey month (just like WW has us do when we reach maintenance.) I'm hoping that this will give me enough food so I'm not so hungry that I get nuts. I hope it will allow me to maintain whatever weight loss I've achieved during the other two weeks of that month.

If it works, I should lose a few pounds after TOM, then maintian during PMS and repeat that cycle. That should lead to a consistent, but very gradual, downward trend. That's the only idea I've come up with for dealing with this. I'm open to any suggestions you all have.

Hope you all are having a great day!! Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/235/230/135 or so
Old 04-03-2002, 02:09 PM   #3  

Hmm, okay, catch up time!

Judy, good for you for jumping back in. I was reading your post and I thought, "No, just go back now" and then you wrote that you could hear us all saying it... Wow, am I that transparent?

Lin, I was actually going to suggest the same thing--adding 4 points, the week before. Studies have shown that your body "wants" about 200 extra calories a day for that week, so you're right on the money. Also keep in mind that your body tends to want carbohydrates. now, you know I don't hold to the high protein/low carb diet. The only reason I mention this is to let you know that IF you decide to make those 4 points carbs, there's water that goes with it. So don't hate yourself if you bob up a bit on the scale, and don't get the idea that it's just not working. 1 gram of carb = 4 grams of water. The only other suggestion I have is TAKE YOUR SUPPLEMENTS!

I've modified my goal a bit to be 10% by Midsummer's Eve. It's 13 pounds, 12 weeks from last weigh in. I think I can do it. And the reward? I get that darned keychain!

I was better yesterday, helped very very much by sitting in the jacuzzi with a water jet at the small of my back. I'm a bit stiff today and still a little sick, but all in all I'm doing better. Still drugged, but then when am I not, really. I've missed Spinning this morning again--ugh, next week will be HARD, going back--and probably will be out tomorrow too. I can't go back til I've shaken this cough out of my lungs, wo I'll just have to be patient.

As of last night I've had 91 points over 4 days. No exercise, not many veggies. I'm okay with it, I've been sick so there are allowances that must be made, but it means that I'm running dangerously close to failing every single goal this week. Bummer. But, you know, I'll just write a new "contract" saturday and next week will be better.

Have a good day, Turtles, I must be off. Taxes today, ugh.
Old 04-03-2002, 05:12 PM   #4  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Dear All,
I got to WW. I paid the rejoin fee. My leader asked me what my original weight had been at the scale and I told her I'd rather just join as if I hadn't been here and that was fine with her. I am way up 219. Yes, lots of explanations and reasons, but mostly I've been eating much too much for much too long.
I started 2002 with the hope of breaking 199 and then went the wrong way. However, since this is the kind of thinking I am stopping, I won't say that anymore.
Today is a new day. I have a yummy dinner on the stove.
Chicken cutlet with a sauce of mushrooms and potatoes in a creamy white sauce. Sounds really good.
My dh and I went to a movie and I brought my own popcorn.
Used 3 points and stayed OP. Way to go.
I wish you all well. I am going to do a great job every day this week and then I'll think about setting a short term goal for myself. In the meantime, I wish you good health and great days OP.

Love,
Judy
219/140
Old 04-03-2002, 10:35 PM   #5  
Turtle Extraordinaire

GO, JUDY!!!!!!! Woo-hoo on starting over!! And during vacation, no less! I agree with you; stop looking backward, unless it's to note lessons learned, and keep your eyes fixed ahead. Maybe it would help to just jot down some of the lessons you've learned, and then file that away. I know I learned a TON when I regained my 16 pounds, and guess what? It came off again, plus more. Yours will too.

Erin, poor baby! Glad the jacuzzi helped. That's interesting about your body wanting extra calories, especially carbs, during TOM. That's certainly been my pattern. I find when I stay mostly within points during that time, I have a good loss after TOM ends. But most months it's just agony. I think it's getting worse instead of better. Although maybe that's just because my point range is lower, so it *seems* worse.

Lin, glad you're getting caught up on your rest. I hear you about the night owl thing, though I still love daylight savings time. I just love lots of light. At this end of the time zone (Michigan is at the far west of the eastern time zone), it stays light until 10 p.m. during the summer months! I just love that. I spend loooonnng evenings outdoors. I'm glad your son has become friends with his teacher. Does she act his age? If not, that's what I mean by kids wanting adults to be adults.

I had three wisdom teeth pulled at once, and earlier I had four other teeth pulled at once for braces. They gave me intravenous valium for that first go-round, which was lovely stuff. Only time I've ever had valium, I think. I didn't care if they pulled all my teeth! For some reason, I was much less fearful of dentists when I was younger. Actually, there's a long story behind that; maybe someday. Anyway, thanks for the well wishes.

Last night at WW, my leader asked me to talk about what's working for me. (She does this with everyone who wins some kind of award each week -- 5 pounds, 10 pounds, whatever.) Know what I said? "Patience and perseverance." And I held up a little turtle I carry around in my pocket. So you were all there with me in spirit last night. I elaborated a bit, but it's nothing you all haven't heard -- and lived -- here. I'm a firm believer in the Turtle Way.

She talked about finding balance in your life. She said the people who are most successful at taking off and keeping off weight are people who have balance in their lives. So we talked about ways to make your life balanced. I'll dig up the list if anyone is interested.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/188/174 by Labor day (I'm pretty sure that's going to be my next goal. If it looks like I'm losing well, I'll bump it up to my birthday in early August.)
Old 04-04-2002, 01:49 PM   #6  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Wow! I think it's great that we have so many posts because I've observed that we tend to be more successful, as a group, when we all post regularly.

But, the most important thing, IMHO, is that I enjoy keeping up with all of my turtle buddies.

Judy, go, go, go!! Look, think, and move forward. I think that looking back can be way too discouraging, except, as Lauren noted, to reflect on lessons learned and how to apply them in the future.

Erin, thanks for the info regarding my plan. It's interesting that you mentioned how carbs can cause or make water retention worse. I tend to crave vegetarian style meals, with more carbohydrate proteins like beans and more dairy products, during that time and lots of red meat during TOM. After TOM, my eating style tends to be more balanced.

I am taking my supplements, but since I'm smack in the middle of perimenopause, my brain gets to be a bit foggy and I forget during PMS/TOM. I'm seriously considering getting one of those little pill boxes, but the idea makes me feel like I'm 90 instead of a youngster of 48.

I love your attitude about dealing with this while you're not feeling well. And I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

Lauren, thanks for the report about balance being important. Balancing my life always feels like a juggling act. Yet, if you watch a juggler, it's effortless because they're not thinking about it. They're just letting their bodies do what they've trained them to do. Wonder if we can take a lesson from them and let go that way. Let our bodies do what we're training them to do without all of this struggling.

I've been having a difficult week and I realized that the things I suspected were causing it were actually not the issue. It's TOM stuff. I know that because it went away without me doing anything. The feeling of wanting to eat for no reason just went away all by itself. That's hormones. So, I'm doing fine. I've been eating healthy and mostly OP. I've put it all in my food journal, so now I can go back and see what I can do if this happens again. It's not my usual pattern, but I'm seeing that when you get into perimenopause, you don't have a "usual pattern" anymore. That's what makes it so hard.

Have a great day!! Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/235/230/135 or so
Old 04-04-2002, 09:33 PM   #7  

Still sick, Turtles. The cough is what's getting me, it's settled in my lungs. So needless to say, I missed Spinning tonight. The whole week! Ugh. But, if there's one thing you need to be able to do to go to Spinning, it's BREATHE. So I'll be back monday morning, hopefully.

Lin, I would bet you money you crave red meat during TOM because the loss of blood means loss of iron. It's not actually the meat itself you want, it's the iron in the meat.

Yay, Judy! You're going strong, I'll bet you're going to get great results next week. You must feel very good about yourself.

Lauren, was that you making my ears burn last night? Talking about the Turtles...did the people at your meeting agree?

Well, over 6 days I'm at 127 points as of last count. Um, ideally my minimum is 182. Somehow I doubt that I'm going to be able to eat 55 points tomorrow (I don't doubt that I can eat 55 points, mind, I just doubt that I'm going to be that hungry or be that stable-tummied). So, oh well. DH and I have agreed that I can add to my Boot Fund any spare points after* I hit minimum points for the week. He does not want me to go starving myself. So, even if I come in under minimum I'm still only allowed to add a max of $28 to my Fund (210-182=28). Good thing this week is payday!

Oh! Speaking of payday, Turtles! GREAT NEWS! We went to have our taxes done by my accountant, and because DH was not working for most of last year and we took losses on investments, our net income was $0 for the tax year. This sounds very bad. BUT, it's really not, because it means we get full refunds! $2,000, roughly. This is fantastic news--now we can set that aside for my school fees next semester, and pay off some credit debt. This year, I like taxes.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:15 AM   #8  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Yay, Mousie, on those taxes! Hope your cold passes quickly. I got one yesterday. As soon as I started getting symptoms (chills, sore throat), I ran home and snorted some Zicam. Have you heard of this stuff? It's awesome. Consumer Reports lists it as the only sure thing that limits the duration and intensity of a cold (as opposed to just treating the symptoms). But you have to snort it early, as soon as you feel the cold coming on. It works beautifully. And it's just a gel containing zinc. Somehow, applying the zinc directly to the nasal passages kills off the virus before it can do much damage. Today I still have the scratchy throat, but my symptoms haven't gotten any worse yet. In the past, using Zicam has limited my colds to about 2 days, sometimes 3. And the symptoms have been way reduced.

And no, I don't work for Zicam.

I'm working from home today. I love working from home.

I went well over my points yesterday. I had a 23-point lunch (!!) at a nice restaurant. It was salmon, but it all added up. For dinner I had a piece of "healthy" cake. So it wasn't one of my better days. But I have those occasionally; it could be my body was shoring up resources against this cold, which hit shortly after lunch.

I've discovered something interesting. At my current weight, losing four pounds makes a big difference in how my clothes fit. This is gratifying and motivating, especially after losing 20-30 pounds without seeing much difference when I was heavier. I tried on some pants yesterday that had been snug a few pounds ago; now they fit beautifully. That's very motivating. Especially since it can work both ways -- a small *gain* now shows up in my clothes, too!

Lin, I crave red meat during TOM, too. In my case, I think I border on anemia; I find taking iron jump-starts my period when it's late. Isn't it weird how that urge to overeat just disappears when the hormones quiet down? I wish they'd find a good remedy for that. There's got to be an herb or something.

Judy, hope you're doing well this week.

Well, back at it. Have a great Friday, everyone.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/188/174 by Labor Day
Old 04-06-2002, 12:47 AM   #9  

Congratulations on those trousers, Lauren. I noticed that too, before--5 pounds would make a serious difference in how my pants fit. Not really now, but at a lower weight I can definitely tell. That must be why you always read about women wanting to lose 5 or 10 pounds--because it really DOES make a difference in how clothes fit.

We got more fantastic news today, Turtles. DH had to stop in at the office for something on the way up to have lunch with my mom (he's on holiday this week and we've just been bumming around), and he spoke briefly with his supervisor. Well, supervisor let slip that DH is getting a $3,800 bonus (taxed at 45%, OUCH)--AND a 5% raise! This means that every paycheck will be about $100 more, after taxes. With the bonus and tax refunds, we can completely pay off everything we owe from last year (except the car loan) and then concentrate on saving. YAY!

DH spent $300 on a 4-line 10 foot sport kite, to celebrate. This makes kite #6. He was feeling guilty about it, but I told him not to worry--he's been working his butt off, working long hours, going in on weekends to cover projects that other people dropped, missing things with me and with other friends--he deserves his toy. He gave up enough playtime these last 6 months, now he can REALLY play. We're going out tomorrow to fly, hopefully it'll be a good wind day!

I managed to hit minimum points for the week. Last night we had a very very late dinner, around 9pm. So that added points. Then today suddenly my appetite was back. I'm wanting sweet stuff right now, definitely staying away from bitter or salty, but I've got an appetite back. Tomorrow I'm going to an "official" meeting, then I'm coming back home to chat with Lin at 9am Pacific time. Anyone is welcome to join, we're on Yahoo Messenger and I'm kit_mouse.
Old 04-06-2002, 11:49 AM   #10  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

hi all,
Things have been busy here and then my computer started freezing up again! Egads.
Anyway, congrats to Mousie on all your good news.
LIn, smart of you to figure out perimenopausal stuff. I don't think you guys know it, but I'm 60 and I only entered menopause last June. Not fun. There are some benefits. I am sleeping better and that's huge! But as fare as shaking off weight, I'd encourage everyone to lose as much as possible as young as possible because it doesn't get easier. One bonus now is that my cravings are not cyclical and that's a big help.
I'm hanging in there. I had two very easy, very OP days and then yesterday was tough. But, I am OP . I have 10 banked points to use if need be. And I am doing this.
Lauren, thanks for the tip for colds. I hate them and because I teach, I'm exposed to germs big-time.
Everybody take care and keep on posting.
Judy
219/lower
Old 04-06-2002, 12:26 PM   #11  

Okay, hmm. My processor shorted out yesterday so we replaced it, and now the network card on my PC doesn't work. So, I can use DH's PC. But DH has been playing games and has a new controller-mouse-thing, and he's reconfigured the PC. No matter which icon you hit, it opens up his home page. HUH? This is frustrating.

But! I went to my one meeting a month this morning, and I hit 10 pounds on their scale. So I got my ribbon, and I'm still a member so I can get that darned keychain. Don't ask me why I want it so bad, I just do.

On my home scale this morning I am down 3 pounds, making it a 10-pound total since I changed tactics. I have no doubt that this big loss is because I was sick all week (still have a bit of a cough but I'm lots better) and I'm braced for either a small loss or a small gain* next week as my body rebuilds.

My contract for the week is a gentle, ease-back-in compromise: instead of 4 hours of exercise I will succeed if I make 2 hours, given the state of my tummy my goal is to get vegetables at least once a day, and I'm shooting for 1/2 gallon of water a day. So a lot of compromises, and I hope to have a good week.

Judy, you sound fantastic! It sounds like you've really gotten this to work for you--you've gotten into great "head space".

Have a good day, Turtles.
Old 04-06-2002, 01:49 PM   #12  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Judy, I'll be interested in hearing more of your hormonal experience when I start getting closer to perimenppause. (How does one know if one is perimenopausal?) 60 is late for the "change"! That's probably healthier to do it later, but personally, I hope I go earlier! Good for you, banking 10 points! Wow!

You're right; it does come off easier when you're younger. So Mousie, take heed!

Erin, good for you on that loss this week! Your next week's expectations sound wise to me. I'm expecting something similar (small gain, or maintain) after my big drop last week. I think your attitude about DH's kite is great.

I'm feeling under the weather today; fighting this cold. We're supposed to meet friends tonight for dinner; we'll see if I'm up to it.

On Thursday I tucked a shirt into my pants and wore that to work with a jacket. First time I've been able to do that in forever! The last time I wore those pants, they were tight around "the tube." Not now. Major motivation there, seeing myself look like that.

I realized yesterday that I'm just basically feeling "normal" these days. I feel like my body fits into this world better -- into seatbelts, behind tables in booths, in cars, in clothes. I feel more like myself. It's a good feeling.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/188/174 by Labor Day
Old 04-06-2002, 03:48 PM   #13  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I don't have a lot of time, but I wanted to check in before we left to do some more errands. We're working on getting my youngest son's portfolio transferred to slides. If he wins one of the scholarships, it's worth over ten grand toward tuition. So, please send good vibes and prayers for him.

Lauren, your clothes seem to be one of the biggest motivators for you. Have you considered using clothing as a reward for meeting your goals? I like your take on feeling 'basically normal'. That's a great feeling.

Erin, it sounds like things are going really well for you on all fronts. Congratulate your dh on his bonus and raise from me.

Your contract sounds super reasonable. I think you can do it easily and that's what builds success.

Judy, my family tends toward late menopause and I really, really hope I don't follow suit. Since we also tend to start young, I'm really tired of this monthly madness. But, all I can do is cope as best I can until my body is ready to give it up.

I'm hanging in there. I don't have much to report. Things are just going along the same way. I've been going back and forth between "I don't want to do this anymore" and "I want to get this weight off" mode. So, I'm pretty much maintaining.

It's very difficult because so much of the problem is about stuff I cannot do anything about. My brother is going downhill pretty rapidly. It was really hard seeing him last weekend. It was both great to go to our church, but it was hard to come back knowing it may be months before we can go again. Plus, the mother of one of our closest friends, and choir director, collapsed last Sunday at the sunrise service. I haven't heard anything, so I've been upset about that, too. She had been ill and they think her blood pressure was the culprit. So, I think I'm doing as well as I can right now.

I'm not givng up. I refuse to do that. But I also cannot get upset about it if I go over points or mess up. This will be a difficult road this year and I plan to do what I can and let the rest go.

Have a great weekend. Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 04-07-2002, 12:18 PM   #14  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Lin, I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I was going to ask how he was doing. We'll keep him (and the rest of you) in our prayers. A couple of people in our church have collapsed during services over the past few years. One was even during our (long) Easter service. In each case, it was because of new blood-pressure medication; the person's pressure dropped too low. They all turned out fine; I hope your friend is OK, too. Is there anyone you could call to find out?

You're right about clothing now being a major motivator for me. I feel like I look like myself again, and I find myself trying on clothes all over the place! It's just so exciting to be able to walk into any store and try on clothes. I'm sure this will wear off, but right now I'm like a kid in a candy shop. Fortunately, I'm keeping most of my purchases to Ebay and the local consignment shop, or the occasional sale item.

As for rewarding myself with clothing, I'll have to think about that one. Maybe I should set up a fund for it -- when I hit 174, I can spend X amount at the clothing store of my choice, something like that. It's an interesting suggestion; thanks!

I haven't been very good at finding ways to reward myself when I achieve certain goals. I think I'm too impatient to wait for the reward. I guess the biggest reward has just been the way I look and feel these days. It's like night and day.

A woman from my church yesterday said "You're not planning to lose any more, are you? You don't want to get *too* thin." I knew I would run into that mentality eventually, having been down this road before, but I didn't think I would hit it this soon. People see what you used to weigh and the dramatic difference between then and now, and they get upset when you start to look too different from what they're used to. They don't mind if you look a *little* different, just not too drastic. But when you weighed 274, in order to get to a healthy weight you *are* going to look drastically different eventually. That's just reality. She was very surprised to hear that I planned to lose another 40 or so pounds (DH told her; I haven't been telling people any numbers). So this should get interesting.

My cold is worse today. So much for Zicam. Bleah. But I'm glad to have it now rather than next weekend, when we go on our trip.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/188/174 by Labor Day
Old 04-07-2002, 04:30 PM   #15  

Lauren, I remember that feeling, and it's the best. The feeling that you just FIT into the world is the most comforting feeling. You no longer worry about being able to sit in a chair, or get out of a chair. You don't worry about being able to slide into a booth anymore. You don't have to ask someone to move to let you by, but instead can just say "excuse me" and slip right by. You must be so much more comfortable, and in ways you never even thought about!

Lin, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I hope you will be able to see more of him, for both of your sakes.

Congratulations on your determination not to give up. You know giving up won't ever get you where you want to be, and you know continuing will help you.

My appetite came back with a vengeance yesterday. I was hungry, and hungry for everything. I had a huge, high point day--49 points!--but I figured probably my body needed it to begin to rebuild, so I accepted it. Now today I'm doing much better, I'm not desperately hungry and I'm feeling better. I'm hoping that I can go to Spinning in the morning, depends how my cough is doing. Fingers crossed.

Gotta get busy around the house, back to school tomorrow. Bye Turtles!
Closed Thread