Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 09:45 PM   #1  
Turtle Buddy

Red face Turtle Club #59

Hi, Turtle Buddies,

Here it is - my "official" version of the fable:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for about two years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We work toward accepting that our bodies have a natural speed of weight loss when we choose to live a healthy life, instead of "going on a diet". Many of us have experienced "the diets" as go on/lose weight-- go off/ gain the weight plus more back.

We choose to perservere with each choice we make throughout the day. We believe that choosing to be slow, steady turtles helps us to learn the skills we need to learn in order to not only lose the weight, but keep it off and become the healthiest people we can be.

So, welcome to all who realize that losing and maintaining a weight loss is a lifestyle change. And who want support as we all learn the skills we need to successfully make the changes that will allow us to reach our goals.

Happy turtlin', everyone!

Lin
Old 03-23-2002, 11:03 PM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Red face

Hi, Turtle Buddies,

I'm using the little icon because we get to sing in our former church for Easter. We've sung the music before, so Easter Sunday rehearsal will be plenty. And, my youngest son will be home for the weekend. My oldest doesn't have to work, so this artistic family will enjoy coloring eggs to use as part of the centerpiece for Easter dinner, which we're having on Saturday.

Erin, (aka Mousie) it's so cool that your favorite clothes are starting to fit again. I'm glad to hear that your point counting method is working so well. It does give you a lot of flexibility.

Erin, that's what I had trouble with when I first used Messenger. I'll send you an email and tell you what to do. It's pretty easy, once you figure out how they set it up.

5.5 pounds!! Wow!! Congratulations!!

Judy, I have a bunch of turtles and they do help to remind me of what I'm working to accomplish. A while ago I saw a beautiful turtle for a garden in the Cold Creek catalog. You might check out their web site. I have two bookmarks and a key chain. One or another of those is always in front of my face, it seems. Keeps me going!!

Christy, you asked about exercising. I do a lot of walking, mostly going for distance instead of speed. But I'm starting to add some faster sections to my walks. When they start heating the pool, I'll start swimming again.

I agree with Erin that a journal can be one of the most helpful tools when we overeat and don't really understand what's going on. My morning journal has gotten me through a lot of difficult times.

You also asked about how we eat, exactly. Well, we each have our own style. It kind of shows that there's no one right way for everyone. Here's mine.

As you suggested, I wait until I'm hungry to eat. But for me, that's fairly frequently--every 3-4 hours, maximum. If I wait very much longer than that to eat a whole meal, I get awful headaches. Plus, I tend to overeat when I eat the standard three large meals and snacks. So, I eat four to six mini meals. How it works is that I eat a half-sized breakfast early, then eat another half-sized breakfast in the middle of the morning. And so on, throughout the day.

I have a few methods for fitting in the higher point foods. One is to recreate the recipe so it tastes just as good, but has fewer points. Another is to cut the portion size down and enjoy each and every bite. My restaurant plan is to order one for my dh. Then I eat whatever amount I want and he gets the rest.

Planning is the key to handling special occasions. But I'm a spontaneous person, so I like to keep a reserve of banked points for when my family randomly decides to go for ice cream or something. I go and use up the points I saved just for occasions like that. Now, if I could only use that same system for my budget!!

Lauren, so glad we were right that your gain was water.

I hope I can do this in a lot less time than Tolkein, but it is very time-consuming. Two of the books I ordered came and they've answered a lot of the questions I had about how to approach this thing. And, even though I don't have official writing time scheduled for the weekends, I end up making notes anyway. My brain likes to come up with great ideas right as I'm waking up in the morning or just falling asleep at night. So, I end up working a bit, anyway.

I'm doing fine. Working my way through a lot of my banked points, thanks to PMS. But I'm staying OP and getting in some exercise.

I almost forgot something I wanted to share with you all. It took me five times to write this post because of computer glitches and a power glitch, so after all that time, it slipped my mind. I tried those new Yoplait whipped yogurts. Ladies, for 3 measly points you get mousse!! At least, that's what the texture is like. It's like eating dessert, but it's healthy yogurt!! I'm in heaven!!

Hope you all have a great day!! Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/236/230/135 or so

Last edited by Lin S; 03-23-2002 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:18 AM   #3  

Good monday morning, Turtles. I have a busy Beginning-of-Week--test tomorrow, paper and test wednesday, physics homework wednesday night, workshop wednesday evening--but my contract for the week says 4 hours of workouts, and of course I'm making time for Spinning! So I'm off there in about 20 minutes, just have time to catch up here.

Saturday was a higher-point day because we had my family over for a belated birthday, but yesterday was on the high side of low and today is planned to be low, too. So it'll be made up. You know, it's weird. Essentially what I'm doing is reverse banking, but it doesn't feel that way. I feel much more free, and feel like I have much more flexibility than when I try to count day-to-day. It's a psychological trick, like starting counting at dinner, but WOW it works for me.

DH and I spent the weekend mostly flying kites. We've got a new kite that looks like a flying duvet (it's called a parafoil) that REALLY catches the wind and pulls. It'll drag you all over the kite field if the wind is up, you can lean back at an angle and it will hold you up. DH also bought a video about kite sailing. It's like wakeboarding, but with a huge kite tugging you instead of a boat. Now DH has decided he wants to try that and wakeboarding. I've told him that's cool by me, as long as he accepts the consequences and doesn't whine about it.

Off to Spinning, Turtles, it occurs to me that I need shoes before I leave. Have a great Turtle day, everyone!
Old 03-25-2002, 11:33 PM   #4  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Your kite flying sounds marvelous, Erin.

I can see how the way you've started counting points now can be a psychological trick like how I start counting points with dinner. And I can see how it can be freeing. I'm thinking it might be a worthwhile method to try for maintenance, once I get to that point. I'm glad it's working for you.

I haven't been able to get online for a couple of days, which is why you haven't received that email I promised. I'll write it when I'm finished here.

Yesterday at dinner I had a difficult time. I ate way over what I needed because of PMS. But I did get right back OP. I wiped out my bank of points to 0 and ate low in my range today. That will take care of things, if I can keep PMS under control the rest of the week. This week's weight was exactly the same as last week's. If I can continue to maintain my weight during PMS and TOM, and lose the rest of the month, that will get me to my goal. Slowly, but steadily.

I got my two other books. One is exactly what I need to do the next bit of work on my book. The other is not what I thought it was and I'm considering sending it back. But I want to look at the information and see if it's content is significantly different from similar books already on my bookshelf.

Have a great day, everyone!! Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/236/230/135 or so
Old 03-26-2002, 08:18 AM   #5  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, turtles.

Boy, am I tired today. I stayed up two nights ago for the Oscars, then last night I worked on a presentation for DH's meeting today. So I'm quite sleep deprived. Not a good way to go to work. I'm going to do my workout in the middle of the day today on the treadmill at work to keep me going.

Erin, the kite sounds fun. Glad the weekly counting is working out for you. WTG on that loss!

Lin, I hear you on trying to maintain during TOM/PMS. It's tough.

We're supposed to get lots of snow today. That's March in Michigan for you.

I've been within points the past few days as hormones have quieted down. Haven't lost anything yet. I feel like I've been in the 190s forever. Maybe when the weather gets better I'll start losing again. Given my history this time of year, I suppose I should just be grateful that I haven't gained this winter.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/191/189 by April 17 DADGUMMIT
Old 03-26-2002, 02:48 PM   #6  

Lauren...think about what you just said. "I feel like I've been in the 190s forever." Somehow, that sounds better than "I feel like I've been in the 250s forever" or "I feel like I've been over 200 forever". I know it's frustrating, especially when you're so devoted, but hang in there. You'll get there, I have no doubt.

Christy, Judy, where are you?

Lin, I think it would be a good way to count for maintenance, too. I never could get the hang of counting at dinner because I eat most of my points at the start of the day, and dinner is often not anything special--a bowl of cereal, a slice of orange-cranberry bread. Salad. Not the sort of thing you need lots of saved points for.

It's cool that you've got the information you need, now you'll be churning out the pages, right?

Spinning tonight, need to do a paper and study for a test tomorrow. Possibly work on some Physics. Such is my life, right? It all comes back to Physics.

But, hey, I want this, I'll do the work. And WW is going marvelously, and I'm feeling happy and confident, and DH and I are getting back to what we used to be like, and...life is just good.

Have a wonderful day, Turtles!
Old 03-26-2002, 03:35 PM   #7  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I wanted to watch the Oscars, but ABC is not available to us. It' a complicated result of living in this particular town and specific apartment complex that we're in. We can't get DSL or any other type of online connection except a dial-up modem, either.

The 190's forever? I can hear that you're really frustrated, especially since the last part of the 200's went fairly easily. But, it will come when your body is ready to give it up. This is a time when practicing patience and persistence will pay off. You're doing great.

Erin, it's so good to read that things are going so well. I get the impression that you're feeling much better about needing to cut back on official WW meetings. That's great. I like the way you handled the issue.

I'm doing really well today. Back OP. Feeling relieved because PMS eating often leads to a lot more of it. I made some more soup, so that will help a lot. I don't know why, but beans seem to be something I crave during PMS that doesn't negatively affect my weight issues. So, my soup is a perfect choice.

I've been reading the book on building worlds that work scientifically. Boy, is it a complicated subject. I'm going to get my techie spouse to help me with the math and putting the equations into our spreadsheet. I'm looking for scientific plausibility. Since it's not a SF story, I can get away with a little fudging.

Anyway, things are going great here. I feel really good about how my book and WW both are going. David switched sound cards with us. Now an old computer game I was never able to finish works. So, I'm enjoying that again. I haven't played a really great game for a long time. I can't afford the three that are out that I'd love to try. The other interesting ones would require an updated computer system. (Sigh!)

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/235/230/135 or so (Oh, yeah. I stepped on the scale and discovered I'd lost a pound--during PMS, no less!!)

Last edited by Lin S; 03-26-2002 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:07 AM   #8  

Lin, what games? I'm not a computer game person, but I have to confess to being able to waste hours and hours playing either Tetris or Bejewelled. I sometimes get so into it that I end up DREAMING in Tetris pieces! DH is utterly obsessed with all things computer gamish, though--this is oddly appropriate, considering that he works for a computer game company...

Woo woo, lost a pound during the hardest week of the month! I'm impressed.

Skipping Spinning this morning, Kelly told us that she will not be there and the sub I don't like will be leading class. So I'm going to work out with DH instead. It sucks, but such is life. I still get to be with DH, right?

Speaking of DH--did someone come in one night while I was asleep and switch him for someone else? Or, more correctly, return my proper hubby and take back the imposter who was in his place? DH has done a total about face, as you all know, on the whole WW issue. But! Yet another example that almost made me stop walking and stare at him:

We had walked over to the store to get a movie (Life as a House, go rent it, it's really good) and to get him some protein (I refuse to buy raw and bloody dead animals, sorry, if he wants raw meat he buys it for himself). First thing that was just cool was that he was looking at the Easter candies and saw some of those Milka filled creme eggs. Milka being a European brand he wanted to try them, so he turned and asked me, "Will it be okay with your points to try one of these with me, during the movie?" I blinked in surprise--since when does he think about my Points?--and then nodded. So he got them.

Then, we were walking back to the house and he said, "So what's this 210 a week thing? Do you HAVE to have 210 every week?" I said no, actually, I could have max 210, but technically speaking I had to have at least 182, so I have a range. He said, "Oh...cuz I was thinking...every week, however many points you have left over...we could put that number of dollars aside, and once we have enough we could get you some custom boots like you've always wanted." I almost stopped walking in shock. First that it was such a good idea (I've wanted knee- or thigh-high boots for years, they never fit over my calves) and then that HE came up with it. DH has done a total about face. He's encouraging and thoughtful and considerate and...and totally on my side. The tension that was between us has totally melted away and we're more content with each other than we have been in months. I don't feel like I have to defend myself and he doesn't feel like he has to be pushy to get his way.

If this is the result of finally snapping and yelling at him, perhaps I should yell more often.

Anyway, extremely low WW day yesterday even with the chocolate (you know how long it takes bread to burn when you leave it under the broiler? NOT LONG) and a medium day planned today. Going to be nap-less today so I need to guard eating-because-I'm-tired. Wish me luck, Turtles!

Have a great day!
Old 03-27-2002, 11:53 AM   #9  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, tortoises. The sun is actually out today -- a rarity for March in Michigan! I'm going to have to go for a walk outside just to make the most of it. (I'm working from home today.)

Erin, loved your comment about how long it takes to burn toast in a broiler. Cool idea from your DH about points-to-dollars-to-boots. Hmmmm. Since I tend to only lose if I eat below the top end of my points, maybe I need to think about this one.

Lin, a pound down during PMS! Whoa! How's that for progress?

I maintained this week, in spite of TOM ending. Maybe it's all the additional carbs and reduced protein due to Lent. Maybe I haven't been counting portions accurately. Maybe it's too much sugar again. I don't know. As for my "feels like I've been in the 190s forever" comment, I looked back and realized I've been in this "decade" for almost 4 months. Pretty much all of winter. I think what my body really wants is to turn into a bear. That way I could just hibernate all winter, eat as much as I wanted, and wear a fur coat without guilt.

It would be one thing if I hadn't been counting points, writing it down, working out, etc. But I have been doing all those things. So occasionally I give in to a moment or two of frustration and teensy little temper tantrums. I'll get over it, I'm sure. There's no point in self pity; it doesn't get me anywhere. But hey, I'm human.

I think weather does have a huge effect on my sense of well being, too. My grandfather was an eye doctor, and he used to say that in March in Michigan, he couldn't make his patients happy even if he carried them piggyback. Those of you in sunny California probably have no concept about what March is like here. In Michigan during the winter, it's not just cold and snowy and icy, it's also very, very gray. Probably because of the Great Lakes, which do interesting things to weather patterns. We have a ton of cloud cover. Grass turns brown; trees lose their leaves; the sky is gray; color pretty much disappears from the landscape. On nice winter days, at least we have bright white snow to cheer things up.

By March, though, the snow is intermittent or gone (at least in southern Michigan), and everything is gray. You get glimpses of spring -- crocuses appear for a week or 10 days, reminding you of what color looks like. You get incredibly antsy, wanting spring NOW. Instead, you get another blizzard, which smothers the crocuses and makes the streets undriveable again. Everything is gray and hard and frozen, and it just seems like you CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE. It went down to 17 degrees last night, just to give you some idea.

We can have snow all the way until the end of April some years, and by then, let me tell you, we're about ready for the loony bin. That's one reason I've scheduled two short trips this April, just to have something to look forward to.

No doubt all that is contributing to my malaise over staying in the 190s. Hey, this is the time of year I usually make drastic changes to my hair, too. Last weekend I told my hairdresser to just "do whatever you want" to my hair; I didn't care, so long as it looked different. (Being a lifelong Michigander, she's used to this phenomenon and therefore just cut my hair shorter without radically changing the style. She knows that sanity returns in a month or so.)

Anyway. If I continue to play with the same couple of pounds over the next couple of weeks, in spite of staying within points, then I'll look at adding more fish into my diet and cutting back the carb-based protein. I should probably look at cutting back on sugar, too, but DANG, I find that hard to do, especially this time of year.

Onward and DOWNWARD,

Lauren
274/191/189 by April 17 IF I HAVE TO CUT OFF A LIMB TO DO IT
Old 03-27-2002, 12:29 PM   #10  

Poor Lauren, I do actually sympathize. I spent one winter in Chicago and one winter in Minnesota, I know what it's like. The thing I found most frustrating was the nice day/icky day/nice day/icky day thing. I'd just begin to hope for a good mood tomorrow and it would be disgusting the next day. Thankfully you know it'll end, right? And good planning, planning trips to look forward to in April.

Although, as far as April goes, dunno if I'd cut off a limb. You tend to need those.

I loved your comment about your body just wanting to be a bear. I think it's true--your body wants to stay warm and "survive" the winter. It doesn't know anything about ready food supplies or central heating. It just knows that it evolved this way for good reason. 100 years of modern life (if that many) hasn't been enough to change our genetic/evolutionary patterns to any great degree. I'm sure once it gets warmer, though, your body will go "Oh hey! Healthy eating and exercise! I know what I'm supposed to do with that!" and the pounds will start melting off.

Try to be sure you're eating complex carbs and lots of veggies. If you like it try oatmeal, or whole wheat pastas, or breads with whole grains (check the package--just because it's brown doesn't mean there's any more "whole" anything than in simple white bread). Last night DH and I had whole wheat spaghetti with a really thick veggie sauce made with roasted red peppers, yellow squash, zuchinni, onion, tomatoes, and broccoli. Yummy, and it lasted for a long time in my stomach.

Keep your chin up, my dear, we're here for you.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:22 PM   #11  
Turtle Buddy

Talking

Hi, Turtles,

Lauren, you have a huge problem living in a real winter place. Your body does want to hibernate a little, keep warm a lot. We had one winter which I will never forget where I experienced something pretty close to what you mention, with a little bit of uncomfortable extra added attractions.

It rained every day for the whole month of January. I had broken my glasses and couldn't drive a car. My youngest was too young to walk to school alone, so I walked him in the pouring rain for the whole month. It was three months before we could afford new glasses. Luckily, I can do everything except drive without them, if I have to. Anyway, that was as gray as it gets and, of course, it wasn't as cold as Michigan.

I hope your efforts work and you do lose more weight in the next couple of weeks. Have you considered discussing SAD with your doctor? Perhaps some time under full-spectrum lights will fool your body into giving up that hibernation mode.

All I can think of is to send you a cyber {{hug}}. The time will pass and it will get better. Platitudes aren't the best thing, but they're all I have right now.

Erin, I'm a fan of RPG's. The game I'm playing now is Ultima IX. The ones I want to buy are Myst III, Arcanum, and Wizardry 8. The one that won't run on my computer is the one based on the latest AD&D gaming system. I can't remember the name of it.

I love reading about how your dh has gone from being unsupportive to a real partner in your efforts to become your best person.

Things are going fine with me. My ds is coming home for the weekend tomorrow. It will be great to see him, but weird. From talking with him online recently, I get the impression that he's really matured this year. It's funny that it's mostly due to the teacher whose class he's always one step away from flunking! She's tough, but he really likes her and has learned a lot about more than English from her. Like better work habits, a more mature attitude toward life, and is much better prepared for college next year. I'm so proud. Can you tell?

As for WW, I had one other glitch this week, but I'm doing quite well dealing with PMS so far. I'm being really diligent about writing it down and careful to have a lot of low-point choices around so if I get crazy, I can't do as much damage. The real issue is that I won't have as many banked points for Sunday as I'd hoped to have. So, I may just eat sensibly and let it go. We will be eating at least two meals in restaurants.

The book is starting to come together a bit more. I had a breakthrough in figuring out how to approach nailing down the details of the world and fit them with the story I've begun. This is the most effort I've ever been able to put into one book in my life. Prior to my children's becoming adults (in how much they DON'T need Mom all the time), I didn't have the concentrated time I need to get any work done. I'm not a person who can write in ten-minute increments. I get involved and go for hours. Then my dh walks in the door and I realize I haven't even figured out what's for dinner, let alone cooked it! (This from the cook??)

Have a great day!! Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/235/230/135 or so
Old 03-28-2002, 05:17 PM   #12  

Lin, I couldn't survive without my glasses. They're one of those necessary evils that we HAVE to spend money on. Right now I need an exam to get back into contacts. Thankfully, I have regular glasses that are the right prescription. I put them on when I get up and taking them off is the last thing I do every night--even after pulling up the blankets. That must have been awful.

I've never gotten into RPGs, myself. I've got an old, old character in a text MUD based out of Sweden that I've had for almost 10 years, but I gave up actually playing that game long ago and never found any other RPG worth the effort. DH, now, has played them all. He's surrounded by all things Everquest now, though, and is slowly losing his fascination.

Life is going beautifully. One more day of classes and then I'm off for 9 days (Spring Break) (Study A Lot Of Physics Time, more like). My total for 5.5 days stands at 166. 8 points planned for tonight's dinner, leaves 36 for tomorrow. Most unlikely I'll actually eat all of those, so there's my first contribution to my Boot Fund.

Hope you're doing okay, Lauren. Christy and Judy, my dears, where are you? Don't make me worry about you, check in!
Old 03-29-2002, 09:40 AM   #13  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Hi Turtles,
I've been so busy I haven't been able to get near a computer. My dd had her procedure yesterday. She needed general anesthesia and that always makes me nervous. My dh finally took control, put a stop to the dds (2) whining and cleared everything up so that procedure-dd came home and is recuperating with us. It's good to take charge once in a while.
Wednesday I worked, and I have the next week off. I'm really lucky that way. I'll be taking care of my dd, but that's a good thing too.
On Wed., I had pre-hospital blues, had not eaten well for awhile, and did not go to WW. This Wednesday coming up I am going to rejoin. I am going to Just make believe that I have not lost more weight and then regained it. Part of my nonsence has been about bemoaning how well I did in December where I hit 204 at home for a short while and how poorly I've done since then. This is my pattern for this time of year. I've done it before, but I was hoping not to do it again. Ugh! So, on Wed., no matter what I weigh at WW, I will start again. I'll work on a new bookmark, new five pound stars, etc. and see how I can do this! I absolutely have not given up. I absolutely have been an emotional eater, and I absolutely know I have it within my power to change this. 2002 has been an especially tough year for my dh and myself, but we've gotten through worse, and there will be more to come because life is like that.
For today I am OP. I have loved hearing of your successes and am cheering for all of you.
Christy==One thing I do is to have a well stocked freezer and pantry. I have MorningStar products in the freezer in case I need a lowpoint dinner. I make the Impossibly Easy Veggie Pie.
I looked through all the recipes found on the site and printed out those that looked good. There are quite a few. I make dishes on a Sunday that I can portion out for lunches throughout the week--last week I made chili and an Indian chickpea dish. Some I freeze for later weeks. I also boil up a batch of eggs. When I need some lowpoint protein, I pop out and throw out the yolks and eat the hardboiled eggwhites. I think they're yummy just the way they are. I've also made eggsalad with onion, celery, pepper, mustard , and a tad of nofat Miracle Whip (something my dh bought because he couldn't find Hellmann's no fat mayo--I thought I'd hate the Miracle Whip and found it's great). I make NF cream cheese sandwiches--sometimes with jelly, sometimes with olives--on lite rye bread. I eat a wide variety of foods. Right now I'm eating oatmeal quite a bit because my cholesterol is higher than I'd like it to be. For something really easy, I buy a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket. That night I eat 4-6 ounces of chicken with a baked potato. After that I may have chicken sandwich for lunch the next day or I'll make chicken salad low point style. I've even taken the bones and made a yummy chicken soup--very easy and very tasty.
I know when I get to mainenance I'll need to have a wide variety of foods that I like. At one point in my "dieting career", I couldn't look at yogurt or tuna anymore because I had had it with both. I try not to do that now. I even buy NF refried beans and put them on a fat reduced tortilla with salsa for a change of pace.
I like sauteed veggies on the same type tortilla. I'll bring it to work like that and then add cheese and warm the sandwich in the microwave to make the cheese melt.
Hey Chrissy, Guess you can see I like food! Chime in. We love to hear from you.
Lauren, I sympathise with the Michigan March weather. I went to school in Madison, WI. Would have settled there--loved the people, etc. but I wasn't able to take the white winters. I think you guys are tops to be strong enough to do it! Bravo on the weight losses you're experiencing. To me, holding onto what you've done so far is amazing and those next pounds will come off. Just trust yourself and the program. You're doing it!
Mousie,
I love that dh is so supportive. I bet your happiness over accomplishing what you want most is contagious and he realizes how helping you will make the person you want to be. Great! Also bigtime great that you lost weight during your birthday times! (Have to admit that we're a little spoiled here--our kids have birthday weeks--we haven't gotten to a season yet, but it's
not that much of a stretch)
Lin,
Find your writing journey fascinating. It's really interesting.
Also like how much effort you're putting into your weight loss and how you're making it all fit together.

Everybody--have a wonderful Easter!
Old 03-29-2002, 06:59 PM   #14  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Erin, my son had a friend who was so into Everquest that he used to have trouble contacting her. I don't do online games because the good ones cost $$ and I can't afford even the small amount they charge. Plus, I don't like to tie up our phone line for long periods of time, although we have a voice mailbox with the phone company, so we can get messages if we're online.

So, glad you're doing well. I'd give you a "thumbs up" sign, but it's not one of the little emoticons they have.

Judy, it's so good to hear from you. I've been wondering how you and your family are doing. Glad to hear that your dd got through her procedure.

You know, sometimes life throws a lot at us all at once. I think, and as you know from my last year, that maintaining during those difficult times is often the best we can do. And even then, sometimes we cannot manage to do more than minimize the damage. But it will get better and you will be able to focus again. Remember to be kind and patient with yourself. And to give yourself some relaxing time alone--take a bubble bath or something. It helps, really.

Your plan sounds great. I'm sure you can do it.

Christy, I hope you're still lurking. We're thinking of you. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

I'm struggling with TOM and just being extra hungry. So, I'm doing the best I can and I'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'll be back within points and OP starting with dinner tonight. My dh went to pick up the rental car and then we're going to get the grocery shopping finished. I don't want to do errands tomorrow because we're doing our family Easter celebration then.

Have a great weekend. Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/235/230/135 or so
Old 03-30-2002, 11:12 AM   #15  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, tortoise beings.

Thanks so much for all the encouragement. It really does help. You turtles are the best.

The sun is shining today, and it's getting up to 50 degrees. The daffodils are trying to bloom but aren't quite there yet; the crocuses are just passing. April is almost here; daylight savings time is almost here. There is hope in the air.

I've been doing well program-wise. I've been incorporating more protein -- fish and egg beaters. Staying toward the lower end of my points. It's working: this morning I weighed in at 189.5. Another half pound and I'll make my anniversary goal. You can imagine how happy I was to see that. DH waltzed me around the bedroom and sang.

Another reason the weight is finally coming off: stress. Judy, I have the opposite reaction you do to stress. If it's the nail-biting variety, I lose my appetite. Yesterday I had a deep ache in the lower, back of my mouth (near the jaw); I suspect an absessed tooth. That threw me into a tizzy, which made eating at the low end of my range easy. I started on antibiotics, which have completely taken away the pain. But I'll need to see the dentist next week, and we all know how I feel about THAT. Not having had an absessed tooth before (if that's what this is), I have no idea what to expect. I'd like to get any dental tortur-- I mean, work -- over before we go up north for our long weekend in two weeks.

Lin and Erin, so what are these games? What's an RPG? Oh, role-playing game, I bet. I love those. I did a couple of text-based MUDs years ago. Any good ones I should check out? I like the kinds where you actually do stuff rather than just hang out and talk. Those end up being like chat rooms, which I find extremely boring.

Judy, I loved reading all your recipe ideas. Very interesting. I'm such a non-cooker that I easily fall into ruts. It's good to get some other ideas. I'm glad DD's surgery went well and that you're sticking with this in spite of the emotions. Where do you live again? I take it you're in a more southern clime than Michigan?

Lin, I don't have true SAD. That is, I don't want to jump off a bridge during the long gray season. It really doesn't get to me until March, when -- as Erin so aptly put it -- you get good day, icky day, good day, icky day, and it starts to drive you bonkers. If that's SAD, then pretty much everyone in Michigan has it! I always get fooled this time of year into putting my winter clothes away too early in anticipation of spring. We get a couple good days and I always think -- "OK, that's it, spring is finally here." HA.

Interesting how your son responds to the teacher who's almost flunking him. I wish more adults could realize that kids aren't looking for buddies in their authority figures.

Erin, thanks for the suggestions re: complex carbs. This morning I had a flax and bran cereal with pecans; it only had 2 grams of carbs for some reason and was very filling and good. I'm so glad your DH has become so supportive. That helps a ton, doesn't it?

Well, we're going to head out and go for a drive into the countryside. DH wants to check out antique stores and I want to check out outlets for new bras. Have a splended weekend, everyone.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/189.5/189 by April 17
Closed Thread