Old 06-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Thinking on Joining WW

I need some help here, I have been going to a dietition since Jan 2006, I have lost 74 pounds, and really I should have lost more, I have been dieting well since last July and I am only 4 pounds lighter than I was this time last summer...how discouraging!! I'm 22 and I like to party and I even took that down a notch or 3 to lose weight, I go to the gym 4-6 days a week, I eat healthy, and I am thinking maybe I just need a change...can you WW'ers give me some detail about the program and how well it has worked for you?? Thank you so much....
signed;
FRUSTRATED!!!!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5'3

The thing about weight watchers is it works for every day life and going to an actual weekly meeting and knowing you have to weigh in is what keeps you accountable. I always have had success when I stuck to weight watchers. I just never stuck to it for more than 6 months.
Melody2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #3  

Thank you. I also think it would be easier to control during the summer.... I think the points system is probly my best bet?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I've always had great success with WW, until I stopped going to meetings... This time I'm doing it on my own, without meetings cause it's just not in the budget, but that's why I'm checking in here. Like Melody said, it's great for everyday life. You can find ways to get in the junk that you sometimes can't live without. Of course, only eating healthy natural foods is ideal, I personally couldn't stay on that plan forever. With WW, you just schedule into your daily points the things that will make you stick to the plan.
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #5  

True, I guess my problem is I feel like I should be skinny tomorrow, you know what I mean...its been 2 1/2 years and yes I have lost 74 pounds but I may just be being too hard on myself. Perhaps this change will do good for me and I won't feel so deprived. oh Congrats on your 20 lbs loss Auntie G!!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Thanks! And 74 pounds is nothing to feel bad about! Congrats! If you are stalled in your efforts, sometimes it does just take a little shaking things up to push on through. Good luck!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

As you sometimes hear in a wide range of support groups, "stop shoulding all over yourself."

"Should have," I think is the leading cause of abandoning weight loss attempts. Instead of looking at 74 lbs of success, you're feeling 36 lbs of failure.

I do understand. I've been there. In fact, I'm still there, but remember only giving up and regaining is failure. Maintaining a 70 lb loss for a year is an INCREDIBLE achievement.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with trying something new to stir things up a bit. I also heartily recommend a weekly support group. Currently I'm in TOPS rather than WW. However, both share what I consider the vital component to sustained weight loss (at least for me). Weekly weigh-ins, group support, and a lifetime plan.

When weight loss slows, it can be very, very tempting to give up, or quit any plan, especially an organized one (you may start thinking, why should I keep paying for this if I'm not losing any more weight), but you have to remember that your plan is not "just" helping you lose weight, it's helping you maintain your loss and avoid regaining.

You're doing great, really!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

JennyG - I have been on WW since April 8, 2008 and so far have lost 29 1/2 lbs. I have been on many many different diets and was successful with losing the weight, but it always came back. I was on WW before but once I lost weight, but went right back to my old eating habits.

In order for my weight lose to be successful, I have had to get it into my brain that this is a life choice, not a temporary way of eating for a short time until I reach my goal. With that in mind, the flexibility of WW Flex is what is going to work for me pretty much for the rest of my life if I want to maintain any weight loss. That being said, WW Flex is right for me. I can eat what I want as long as it is within my points. For me, this isn't as restrictive as other 'diets'. It is reasonable, you don't have to buy special foods if you don't want, and it teaches you how to cook and eat healthy.

I am doing this on my own. I have the supplies from when I joined WW in 2001 so I didn't have to purchase anything. The WW forums are a wealth of info and the support there is awesome! I don't go to meetings, so I don't have that expense. That is just me.. many others go to meetings and feel they wouldn't be successful without them.

Overall, from my experience and mind set, I highly recommend WW Flex or Core!

Also - congrats on the 74 lb loss and maintaining that for a year! That is really awesome!

Last edited by Chey; 06-24-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Still can't spell worth a darn!
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Default second that

Wow! Chey's story is curiously similar to mine. I started WW at-home April 7, 2008. I also am not paying, just found the formula online and asked some friend's who were doing it as well the rules. I LOVE IT! I have gone from 182 pounds to 156 and have dropped from a size 14 dress to almost a size 8. I saw "almost" because I bought a size 8 and was able to zip it a couple days ago. Hooray!

It is such an easy diet for me to follow. I tried Atkins, South Beach. Don't get me wrong, those diets work for some people. I was never able to lose more than 8 pounds on either though and couldn't stay on them for longer than a month, nor could I be that strict. WW allows me the freedom I need. I screw up all the time; no big deal. When I say "screw up," I mean that I use my flex points, as I try to avoid most of the time. I have so much more energy and I love being in pictures again.

I allow myself all of my old foods still too, just with a different spin on them. Like, I have pizza about once every couple of weeks, but it is a plain cheese from Papa Johns, and a delite. I also have burgers often, but they are garden burgers on wheat. I eat a lot of plain fruit. My favorite meal for WW are tacos. I can make my tacos to where they are hardly any points and I get to eat like 3 or 4 of them, not to mention I can usually squeeze in all my vegis for the day that way.

Good luck and can't wait to see you meet your goals and your progress along the way!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 321.8/261/164

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyG View Post
I need some help here, I have been going to a dietition since Jan 2006, I have lost 74 pounds, and really I should have lost more, I have been dieting well since last July and I am only 4 pounds lighter than I was this time last summer...how discouraging!! I'm 22 and I like to party and I even took that down a notch or 3 to lose weight, I go to the gym 4-6 days a week, I eat healthy, and I am thinking maybe I just need a change...can you WW'ers give me some detail about the program and how well it has worked for you?? Thank you so much....
signed;
FRUSTRATED!!!!
The only way to lose weight is to take in less calories than your resting metabolic weight plus your activity level burns in a day. Weight Watchers Flex Plan and Core plan both work by limiting calories, but they work in different ways. The Flex plan has designed an easy way of calorie counting, where they assign points values based on the calories, fat grams and fiber. That makes it much easier than straight calorie counting which I think is very tedious (although some people might disagree with me). The Core plan doesn't require you to measure food or count points. But the plan limits you to eating foods with "low energy density". That means that the foods you eat are going to have less calories for the volume of food. The classic example is that for the same calories, you can get a cup of grapes, or you can get a small handful of raisins. Which would make you feel fuller? The grapes. So you will eat less calories and feel more full or satisfied by what you eat. So the core plan works because the foods you eat are going to fill you up quicker and you will eat less.

Both plans work. But the question is, do you want to follow a food list and learn how to listen to your body's hunger signals, and stop eating when you sense you are satisfied? That is the core plan. You will also get 35 weekly points to spend on non-core foods. So you can plan some treats or a really nice dinner out.

Or do you want the "freedom" of being able to eat anything, but in controlled portions. If you don't make smart choices, you might find yourself hungry at the end of the day without any points to eat. So then you have to have a cup of zero points soup or something like that. But the good thing is that if you do eat a lot of veggies and fruits, whole grains, lean meats, and fat free dairy products, you will probably have enough points to spend on the extras that make the food taste richer and yummier.

Both plans take planning to make them work really well for you (that is, to allow you a sense of normality, a healthy lifestyle and not a horrid diet).

Good luck, with whatever you choose!

p.s. I love the core plan!!!
thesusanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #11  
~*2009 GOAL WEIGHT YEAR*~

S/C/G: 242/195/155

Height: 5'4"

HI JennyG

WTG on your weight loss so far..... 74 pounds AWESOME~! :O)

I have been on WW this time around since January and have lost 45 - 46 pounds..I still have that much to go, however, I feel totally motivated this time. I have been on WW before and I have been successul in the weight that I needed to lose at the time...however, old habits kick back in and "BINGO" the weight comes back. I am working towards "lifestyle changes" this time as well as losing weight....seems to be working better this time around.....went on vacation and actually lost weight while away from home....WAHOO~!

I think that WW is more "forgiving" than a lot of diets that I have tried in the past...if you "splurg" on WW, it's OK, you pick back up where you left off and go from there. Also, there are so many choices that you won't get bored, you can eat "real food", just learn your portions and your on your way~!

Check out WW and see how you feel after a couple of weeks, see if it is the change that you need to get your metobolism jump started again :O)

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ~!
Smiles,
Joni
Luvnlife05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: [img]http://tickers.TickerFact

Yes, you should join! I've learned so much by going to Weight Watchers meetings and one is not to use negative self-talk. You're 4 pounds lighter! You didn't gain..that's great!!! Don't say anything to yourself that you wouldn't want someone to say to you. Keep it up!

sopang is offline   Reply With Quote