Old 10-01-2007, 03:16 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 Year Olds #103

G'day everyone,

I just got home this afternoon, absolutely exhausted. We did so much but we achieved a lot and Lexie and Joe are thrilled with all we were able to do. Slept poorly, the first 2 nights in a crappy motel and then the last 2 nights on a matrass on the floor in Lexie's house. The floors have all been sanded and polished and there was just stuff everywhere. Saskia was a good little girl and did not get in the way too much.
I have booked a flight this afternoon and will go back to visit in 18 days time, hopefully it will be a little less chaotic.
Normally if we take the Landrover it is a 10 hour drive but in the Merc it only takes 8 and a bit hours, quite a difference.

Glenda sorry to hear about Shanna's parents, it must be very hard for her to see her mother doing some strange things like firing home health.

Pleased you had a great time Ann, I also have a mount of dirty washing
It doesn't seem to take long when you come home and all is full bore again at home.
I made the mistake of having a friend over for lunch tomorrow, I had forgotten that Alan had organised for some people to come to dinner tomorrownight as well, I cannot cope too well with 2 social events in one day, especially when I have to cater!

I was looking foreward to a VERY early night tonight but Peta and David want us over for a BBQ, of course Alan cannot say no and we will be off there shortly.

I hope everyone is well and happy....

Cheers
Maria
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #2  
Net browser

Hi Everybody things are going good for me. I had to get a new cleaning lady the other one which I really liked has decided to cut back on the number of clients she has and as I was one of the last I am one of the first to go. My new one Olga is German and came from Germany a month or so ago and her English is very poor and I don't know German. She came here last Monday with her 18 year old daughter who took English classes in Germany so that was a big help. I had to show them which cleaning product to use for which surface. They did a good job and both are very nice gals. My Patches has healed nicely from her surgery and is really a sweet loving little dog. Ann, I am happy that you had a nice holiday, and not to worry the weight will come off. GLORIA.........my mail to you is being bounced back to me again. GRRRR I thought we had that problem fixed. Karen, I'm sorry little Sprout has allergies. You sure had a big vet bill too.
I have booked 3 weeks in Maui, Jan. 7th to Jan. 27th, flying out on my own but will see my friends when I arrive. I will be home for a few days, long enough to get my hair cut, and wash my clothes and pack again to leave for South Padre Island on Feb 1and return home March 2nd. I am going with my brother and his wife. I have taken cancellation insurance in the event that bad health shows it's ugly face but I am hoping that all will go well for me. My family will take care of Patches for the time I am in Maui and a friend will take care of her when I go to South Padre Island. I know I will miss her, but she will be well looked after. Talk to you all soon. Bye for now. Sally

Last edited by slavika; 10-01-2007 at 01:28 PM.
slavika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #3  
Fun Blonde

Slavika, such a world traveler! Sounds like your January - March will be just great. Missy Patches will be looked after well, I am sure, but she will miss her Mama. Wish I had the "problem" of a different language housekeeper. I have never had one, little house and no money, but have dreamed of one. I have friends who clean house BEFORE the housekeeper comes, but you surely don't.

Maria, I know Lexie and Joe enjoyed your trip. With us, sometimes it is just the moral support that the kids need in their projects. Joel is doing a retaining wall on his rent house and over the weekend Leon helped him a bit. What all is Lexie doing to her house? Did you enjoy the BBQ?

Can't remember a thing from the other threads. We are having a glorious fall day today with that magical golden sun. Makes me just want to sit in it. I took off Friday and Monday last week and just vegetated. Watched the three little ones on Saturday while their parents were footballing with OSU. They are so much fun and really good together. It is an ego-booster when they fight over me.

Well, I was upset with "Dancing with the Stars" last night. The most beautiful young man, the male model, was voted off. He promised to take his shirt off if he had lasted. Darnit!
Glenda
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #4  
Member Florida Chick

I was disappointed too. Wayne Newton should have gone, but he must have a big fan base to vote him in. I hope that he will improve. He may be a great Vegas star, but he is no dancer.
Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #5  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi..

I also thought that Wayne Newton should have gone. He really isn't in the other dancers league. I heard he is 65, hard to tell with all that plastic surgery he has had done. I think his face looks weird. Albert (the model) looked so shocked. I felt sorry for him, he could have surprised everyone in the coming weeks.
Slavika, I am so glad to hear that you can have 2 back to back vacations this winter. Patches will have a great time too, and will be so glad to see you when you come home.
I saw my doctor this morning. I thought that I had arthritis in my ankle, it swells and is quite sore. She thinks that it is tendon problems that are persisting from 2 summers ago. She wants me to go for physio.... not sure I will do that yet.
I started my Christmas shopping today. I hope to keep up this momentum and not face the last minute crowds.
Fall is here, and so far it has been quite lovely. Today has been another beautiful day.

Life is good...
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #6  

G'day all,

My goodness Christmas shopping Trudy I guess you are right it is not that far away!

Slavika
your holiday arrangements sound perfect to me....well almost perfect... Brighton South Australia would have been THE perfect spot but alas perhaps another winter.

Glenda Lexie has had the back of her house gutted and has had a new bathroom, laundry and kitchen put in. She has also had all her wooden floors sanded and polished, all looks fantastic but with all that going on, they have been unable to live in their house. I will fly over and stay with her on the 18th and give her a hand with just the re-organising of her house.
and yes we did enjoy the BBQ with David and Peta and had a great night sleep back in our own bed that night!

Ann Wayne Newton I cannot imagine him on dancing with the stars, he is so plastic. I am certainly not one of his fans.
We have also started a new season of Dancing with the stars, I do enjoy it but also enjoy the program 'so you think you can dance', such amazing talented young people. Matilda loves it as well and says all the time 'I can do that' and shows off her prowess as a dancer, that is the only reason Alan will watch it if Matilda is there because she is so funny imitating the dancers.

Life is good and I am really hoping that Alan with give work the flick. (we are still in limbo after having been asked in July if he was able to start the New Zealand contract the very next week )
Yesterday morning we watched 'Damages' that we had recorded the night before, David, Peta and the girls came around and we all went to the botanical gardens and I took some 300 photos of them all, they went home and we had lunch at a trendy cafe (like the one we went to in Cincinatti Peggy) Came home and set outside reading a book in the sun. Peta came around with the girls to see the photos we then all walked to the beach, had a bit of a run on the beach, came home again and our day was at an end.
Why would you want to work if you don't have to when you can have days like that

I have attached one of the photos, Poppy is just the cutest little thing.
Peta's necklace I bought for her in Annapolis and the kids clothes came from the Outlet shops in Williamsburg.

Our spring weather is just perfect except for the people on the land we just don't have enough rain.

Hope you will all have a great weekend,

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 03-07-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Good Morning everyone:
We are experiencing some much needed rainy days, warm but wet. It did sort of change my plans for the day, but I am happy for the rain.

I have been having knee problems, saw the Dr. Thurs. and he put a shot in there. It seems to be improving, but I guess only time will tell, and I need to be careful about what I do for a while.

Trudy: Sorry about your ankle swelling. I hope your Dr. can get to the bottom of the problem and get it fixed.

Marie: It sounds like Lexie is into a really big renovation of her home. Loved the picture. I'm sure you enjoy helping. I hope that Alan gets the word one way or the other about the New Zealand trip. It must be frustrating.

Slavika: You are fortunate to have back to back vacations this winter, escaping the snow and cold. I bet you will miss Patches just as much as she will miss you. But your family sees so much of her that they will get along well. I'm sure your grandkids look forward to caring for her.

Have any of you heard the video of Ralph Potts from England who sang in their national talent show? What a voice. If not, just google his name and take a listen to him. He even blew Simon away. And that is not easily done.

I have been doing some reading lately. My DIL had the book The Kite Runner, about Afghanistan, and I just finished it. Did any of you read it? It is sad and an eye opener also.

I see we are all in agreement about Dancing with the Stars. Wayne Newton has to go. I suppose he has a big fan base, and that is what kept him on, and not too many people knew the handsome model. Too bad.

Well guess I better get back to my laundry and other jobs indoors since I can't weed my garden.

Have a great rest of the week-end. Ann
Old 10-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #8  
Net browser

Hi Ann: The chaps name is actually "PAUL Potts" and yes his voice is just incredible. I did go to You Tube and heard him sing, "Time to say good-bye" one of my very favorites. Thank you for sending us there. He is 36 years old and his first recording will be out within a month. What a different life that young man is in for. I certainly wish him all the success he deserves it with a voice like that.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #9  

G'day all,

Well this will be short posting because of Ann!

I have spent far too much time listening and watching the videos on Utube of Paul Potts.
What an amazing voice and what a worthy winner.
Thanks for sharing Ann
I haven't read the book you mentioned but I have just finished a book called 'Daughter of Persia', this book is very similar to yours in so far that it is eye opening and very sad.

Hope everyone is well....I MUST fly and get something done!

Cheers
Maria
Old 10-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #10  
Net browser

Hi Everybody: This is our Thanksgiving weekend. I am going to go to son and dil's for a turkey dinner. Glenda, it's ok that you don't have a cleaning lady I would never have had one if it hadn't been for David. He really wanted me to go to all his appts with him, and out to lunch (and I wanted to do that too) but my house was really being neglected and he suggested I get someone in. I still have lots to do around here but at least the bathrooms and kitchen, floors are washed. I get the gal in once every two weeks but actually once every three weeks for 4 hours would be good enough. My knees are really giving me trouble. Since the heart attack I have been on Plavix so I can't take Advil anymore and can only take Tylenol for the pain and that really doesn't do much good. I see the doctor soon and will ask if I have to be on Plavix for the rest of my life now. I hope not. My blood sugar levels are far to high and the doctor told me that usually 12 years after getting Type 2 diabetes your body no long produces it's own insulin. He told me I will have to start injecting insulin because the levels are just not going down.
MARIA, Peta's necklace looks very nice, in fact they all look great in the picture. I seem to be stuck in a hole and these last 10# are not coming off. I must try harder. It would also be better for my knees if the weight was off. Happy Thanksgiving Norma.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #11  
Member Florida Chick

Slavika: Thanks for getting the right name. I just couldn't remember the correct first name. No matter his name, he is outstanding. The Dr. told me that I needed to lose 15lbs and my knees wouldn't bother me so much either. It is easy for them to say it, but not so easy for us to do it. Happy Thanksgiving. I have had someone come in to do the kitchen floors and bathrooms every two weeks since I had my surgery. I could do it myself now without any trouble, but why not enjoy the help.

I haven't been exercising the way I should lately, and the weather hasn't co-operated to get to the pool, but today I went clouds and all and managed 45min. exercise. I was all alone too.

We start our chorus rehearsals tomorrow for Christmas. Doesn't seem possible it is that time already. I got all the music ready today for each of the folders. The first get together is always a bit disappointing, as it takes a while for people to get used to getting 'in the groove' once again.

Hi everyone. Also Happy Thanksgiving Norma.

Ann

Last edited by Lizziepie; 10-07-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #12  

G'day all,

Happy Thanksgiving to Slavika and Trudy

Early this morning I got a call from Lexie on Skype, with her renovations we have not used Skype much these past few months. Saskia must have forgotten about being able to see me on the video camera, she was just mesmerised, very cute to see her do what I asked her to do, like touch your nose etc. etc.

A glorious day here today, all this talk of weight....I MUST go for a walk today.
Yesterday I wondered what it would be like to have no appetite, Slavika's email about the chinese food almost took my appetite away!

Good luck with your chorus rehearsals Ann, it was only 'yesterday' you had the last rehearsals! A bit scary how time flies.

I have been busy doing all sorts but today I will get back and try and get some more of my book done.
Haven't heard from Peggy for a while, hope all is well with her.

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 10-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #13  
Fun Blonde

Phooey! I just lost a nice big post that I am sure would have amazed and sent you all into a state of Wonder!

Maria, David's family looks like a picturebook. Too cute! My vote is with you--why in the world would Alan want to keep working when your lives are so wonderful!

Ann and Sally, enjoy the housekeepers! I don't have one but pretend that I do. You should see my house!

We would all be better off if we could get to goal and stay there. My 72-year-old brother just lost 30 pounds and his wife 40 on WW. He said, by golly, it does work if you do it right. Duh! I have been counting for two weeks and have lost a bit. It certainly is hard to count every single morsel that goes into this mouth. He walks two miles every single day no matter what. He told me that when you are retired, it is easy. Is it?

Gloria, I so enjoyed your story about working with developentally challenged people. I have a friend who had a Down Syndrome son. She said he is a true gift from God.

Well, today is my mammo appointment - boob-smasher or, in my case boob-search appointment. Yuck!

Keep exercising and losing that weight. I am going to try really hard this time. If I could lose 7 pounds, I would be in HEAVEN!
Glenda
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #14  

G'day all,

Just a quick one to reply to Glenda, it is super easy to stick to the WW plan when you are retired just ask Ann, Slavika, Trudy, Gloria, Karen and myself!!!!
I bet you and Peggy cannot wait to join us

I love your photo taken at your office!

I am sewing a dress for Matilda, haven't sewn for ages!

Cheers
Maria
Old 10-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #15  
Member Florida Chick

Glenda: The struggle is the same whether you are retired or not, and sad to say it is a lifetime affair.

Gals, I am not getting any emails from you since we have been back. What has happened? I know there must be some circulating out there. I did send a 'put me back on the list' message to everyone. Glenda- I'd like to see your picture, unless you sent it with some attachment that I don't have.

WW does work if you stick to the plan. For me it has been learning what foods trigger me to eat more than I should. Like doughnuts, or M & Ms. Especially the almond ones. My downfall. I could eat the whole bag.

Maria: Good luck on your sewing project. I used to sew a lot, and now haven't had my machine out in ages. I have about begun to think I am going to have to make myself a new skirt, since I do not like all the draped and uneven hems of the ones currently in style. Have you noticed too that brown seems to be the 'in' color?

Well, Wayne Newton is off now. And from now on it is going to be hard to eliminate anyone, since the quality of dancing is so good.I think the women are better this year than they have been before. The Braziliam race car driver is pretty good, but I think the women are way ahead.

I have been enjoying the music of Michael Buble. What a singer! And young and handsome too. Another singer one has to admire is Tony Bennett. He is better now than ever. I can remember when Frank Sinatra reached the age that he really lost it and it was necessary for him to retire. But Tony Bennett is past that age, and just keeps on performing.

Since we got home, I have been concentrating on losing, and as of this a.m. I have lost 7 lbs. Now I am going to be more accountable to WW. I think some of the loss is due to my stopping taking the Red Rice Yeast. It gave me a lot of problems, the worst being joint pain. Now I don't have any pain and that is good.

Our English friend got back today, and I had to give back her golf cart, which we borrowed (kept for her) over the summer. Now I have to walk, and that is good.

It won't be long and it will be too cool to go to the pool every day, so have to enjoy it while I can.

First chorus rehersal was not so great. Missing a lot of people, but I will be hopeful for a while, that people will be getting back from up North.

Hope everyone is having a good day...

Ann