Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 08:18 AM   #16  
Senior Tortoise

Hello, Tortoise Beings. Happy Monday. (All Mondays are happy when you're unemployed! Except for that money thing, of course ...)

I always gain so much from reading this group.

Lin, thanks for your thoughts and insights, as always. It's fascinating to see your journey progress.

Judy, you've got all the marks of long-term success on this journey, though it may not feel that way to you right now. Being able to stop a gain before it gets worse really is the hallmark of a long-term winner.

Mousie, I'm so glad things are easing up for you and DH. What a difference!

This past weekend I ate a lot of sodium, and I also ate out a few times. I'm finding that the more I eat out, the less I lose. Even when I'm within my points. I think one of the reasons I've had such steady losses of late is that I've been eating most of my meals at home, especially since losing my job.

I'm also beginning that cycle of being hormonal again (mine starts with ovulation), so I think I'm up a bit. Ah, well, that's how it goes.

I just found out that my former company is expected to lay off almost 1/2 its workforce today (what's left of it), and then get purchased by another company (SAP, a German company). Yikes. I'm so not sorry that I left. If I'd ended up working for SAP, I wouldn't have been able to do the work I was hired to do -- and I'd have to travel 100 percent of the time. Blecchh!

Well, better go do my workout before the day gets going and I put it off too long.

Onward and downward everyone,

Lauren
Old 10-15-2001, 10:59 PM   #17  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

It's so nice to see so many posts today.

Judy, I know how easy it is to eat due to life circumstances. It sounds as if you are faced regularly with the eating out challenge. When you know in advance that you're going to a restaurant or other type of celebration, you can bank points and eat lightly that day.

If you have a lot of times when you end up going out to dinner, and you didn't know in advance, try starting your daily point count with dinner. That one tiny change really saved me and even though we almost never go out to dinner anymore, I still do it that way.

OTOH, if you have contingency plans, backup plans, etc. but don't follow them, then you might need to do some soul-searching to figure out what's going on. I found that just deciding to change the way I behave wasn't enough. Things would happen and I'd be right back in the same old habits, even after months of following my new ones. The only thing that helped was finding out why I was acting that way.

Judy, the main thing is not to give up. We've all been through times that are tough, times when we've wondered if we can really do this. The whole philosophy behind the turtle club is precisely aimed at that issue. We know we can, if we just keep plodding along. Even if the plodding seems off track, we've found that the sidetrack we've gotten on usually leads to a better ability to get where we want to go. As long as we keep going forward. Good luck! You're doing this, even if it may seem like you're not. Because you're working on working out the problem, solving it, and moving on.

Mousie, I like your suggestion about celebrations and how to deal with them. It reminds me of the great advice a leader posted on another thread one day about restaurant eating. She said that if you're going out just so you don't have to cook dinner (basically to replace a regular, daily meal at home), eat the way you would have at home. If it's really a celebration, then go ahead and plan for a little splurge.

I also applaud your dh for having the courage to take your scale away when it became obvious you needed a break. I think your obsession may recede as your life gets back to normal. It's easy for us larger folk to obsess about the scale and weight loss stuff when life gets uncertain. It's almost a comforting thing because we've spent so many years worrying about it, trying to change it, etc. It's also something that gives us a feeling of control, even if it's only illusionary.

Congrats on the positive changes in your life.

Lauren, I know exactly what you mean about restaurant food. No matter how good my choices are, I can't change the way cooks in restaurants cook their food. That means more sodium than I would add to my food. And, usually, more fat. So, I'm really not unhappy that we can't afford to eat out very often. First, it's a real treat when we do and second, my weight loss is steadier.

I haven't gotten in my walk for the past couple of days. I'm surprised that I miss it. I don't know if I'll be able to go tomorrow or not. It may be Wednesday before I can do it again.

Our car's transmission isn't working properly. The first place we took it to ended up being super expensive. It cost us a lot just to get the estimate and they didn't really do anything. Paul is taking it to another place tomorrow. They gave us a quote of a little less than half of what the first place wanted for the same work.

The problem is that after being forced to move and pay deposits, etc. when we weren't planning and saving for it, plus being out of work for three months, has left us really tapped out. This is the first month I actually was going to have some money left over to start building a savings account with. But not as much as the repair is likely to cost. I hate to sound like I'm complaining, but couldn't something good happen to us for a change?

There's a thread someone posted somewhere asking how much a person is supposed to take. I resisted posting "a lot more than you've had to deal with", since her tale didn't have nearly as much woe in it as my year has held. II hope that last sentence didn't sound mean or petty. I didn't mean it in a nasty way, just that perhaps some perspective is needed. I know that there are a lot of people in worse circumstances than I'm in, but I keep hoping that this is as bad as it will get for us. And that I'm not being prepared for having to handle something much worse. I have a new motto that is exactly designed to deal with that feeling.

"Just do what's next."

It's the answer to everything because it keeps you in the moment. You can't change the past and you can't get to the future. So, what's next is all there is. It's helped me stop worrying too much, if I manage to think of the motto when I'm worrying. It's great for WW, too. No matter what you've done, if you figure out what's next--drink a glass of water, eat a 5 point lunch, go for a walk, track your stuff, etc. and do it, you'll automaticaly be OP.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/243/135 or so
Old 10-16-2001, 09:21 AM   #18  

Lin, I think you have every right to sound "whiny" occasionally! (Which, btw, you don't). You've had a hard, hard year, and it doesn't seem to be easing up. Feel sorry for yourself, nurture yourself. Take care of yourself.

There's a quote from Mother Teresa that goes something like, "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." Adds a bit of humor to the situation, at least!

There's also a quote in my marathon book, something like your "just do what's next". A runner said that it really helped her to think, "just run until it's time to stop." I appreciate that idea, and it's becoming my "keep going" mantra. Is it time to stop? No? So, I keep going. Works brilliantly.

I'll shuttle some of our good karma your way, Lin. We're got spare karma, now! The difference in us is amazing--DH is exercising again, he's sleeping, he's playful, he wants to take part in "our" life. I'm happy.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:42 PM   #19  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Mousie, thank you. My dh and I both appreciated that quote.

I'm so glad your dh is so much better. Being out of work makes you depressed and it's very difficult. My dh was gaining weight and it was starting to scare me because I worry about his health. But he's just about lost it all. His access to junk food has been severely restricted. Not deliberately, just due to circumstances.

Thanks for the spare karma. Now, if only you can direct it to someone who will hear about our problem and loan us a car for about three months. That will allow us to save up enough money to get ours fixed. Meanwhile, my dh has to drive it the way it is, unless he can manage to communicate well enough with the non-English speaking coworker who lives in our neighborhood. Maybe he'll accept some gas money in exchange for a ride. But, we'll have to see if that works.

I walked for about an hour and a half this afternoon. Sometimes I think that my journal and my walks are what's holding me together. I'm still OP, but it's PMS and I'm very uncomfortable due to water retention. The stress doesn't help, but I'm not going nuts. I mainly need to be sure to get in that walk. The activity points seem to be enough to cover that slightly larger appetite I have during the week prior to TOM.

I know that things will work out eventually. They always do, but I still wish that I'd get some good news that is the equivalent in good as the bad news we've had all year was bad. Does that convoluted sentence make sense? I hope so.

Hope all of you are doing great!

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/243/135 or so
Old 10-16-2001, 10:28 PM   #20  
Senior Tortoise

Hi, turtles.

Lin, wow, a 90-minute walk! That's great. I know what it's like to have a car need expensive repairs and not know how you're going to pay for them. I hope the carpooling can work out. Maybe your husband can find an interpreter at work? Anyway, hang in there, and remember -- things always look worst when you're PMSing. You *have* had some good news this year; DH is employed, you're both healthy, you're back on track, you've had some wonderful breakthroughs, you're doing creative work, you're not working in a job you hate, your sons are OK. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

I'm especially thinking about this because of our WW meeting tonight. Our leader, Pam, talked about how easy it is for us to see what we do that's wrong, and how counterproductive that is to our eventual success. She said that feeling successful breeds success. So this week, we're supposed to write down one successful thing that we did each day and not focus at all on any failures. I think she's right. I am by nature a self critic and somewhat of a perfectionist (in some things, not at all in others), and I'm quick to see the dark side of life. It's something else I want to work on.

(Lin, I'm not at all trying to downplay the very real difficulties you're experiencing.)

Mousie, loved the quotation.

Well, I was up a pound on my home scales and exactly the same as last week on the WW scales. Over the past week I banked 17 points and worked out for 4.5 hours, so I'm guessing it's just hormones. On the other hand, it may also be time for me to drop down another range. I usually have to do that sooner than WW tells me to. I'll see how the next month goes.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
279/213.6/199 by Christmas (WW scales, evening)
Old 10-17-2001, 03:34 PM   #21  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Lauren, you're right in pointing out that I've been focusing on the negative this week. Thanks! It's hormones, partly and partly that it takes me a while to gain perspective when major things go wrong. I can almost tell you to the day when I will regain my optimistic perspective on life. It's mainly PMS that does this to me. The calcium and stuff helps, but it doesn't make it go away completely.

I've been walking between one and two hours most days lately. Most of my walks seem to be averaging about 90 minutes. I'm surprised because I didn't know I could walk that long. My legs have been really hurting lately (varicose veins from pregnancy), but when I walk, they don't ache like that. I realized what the main difference is between when I didn't want to walk and now. My new shoes! I guess my old ones were in worse shape than I realized.

You probably ought to wait and see if your lack of weight loss is hormones before you drop a point range. Staying the same during PMS is usually a sign that you've really lost some and it's being masked by water retention. I know I'm super bloated even though I'm completely OP.

Today is going fine. We're telling everyone we know about our car problem. We're hoping to find someone who can loan us a car to use for two or three months, until we can get ours fixed. I don't know if that will happen, but if we don't try, it certainly won't. If it doesn't, Paul will drive our car to work as long as it holds up. And hopefully when it finally dies, it will be in a parking lot or the garage. Other than that, we're staying home and walking to the grocery store so we don't use the car more than we have to.

If my dh can make up the two days he missed, we may be able to get it fixed in November, otherwise it will be December. I'm not sure that the car will hold up that long. So, any positive vibes, prayers, good thoughts you send to my car will be welcome.

Other than that, things are going well. I'm right OP. I don't expect a loss this week because of PMS water retention. But if I can keep a handle on the occasional wanting to eat thing, I'll do OK. I can tell when it's PMS vs. hunger because I want specific foods, rather than just feeling hungry and deciding what to eat. The calcium has lessened my cravings a lot. I only get them for a couple of days, instead of for as long as two weeks. And it's easier to control them. I find that I can say to myself that it's PMS cravings and wait until I really am hungry. Then decide what I want. What's odd is that I often eat something entirely different from what I thought I wanted, and am perfectly satisfied. This is weird. I've never been able to do that before.

Hope things are well with you all.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/243/135 or so
Old 10-18-2001, 08:58 PM   #22  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Hi Guys!
My computer at work is no longer connected to the internet, so I can't get online during my lunchtime. Ugh. So, if I don't get to you as much as I have been, know I'm with you in spirit anyway.
I have great news. Each day I had a challenge and I persisted.
At WW I reversed the trend and lost a whopping three pounds. I don't know if that puts me back to where I was six weeks ago, but I'm afraid to look and find out. I'm happy that I did so very well. I am persisting through the days and keeping everything you all mentioned in mind. Thank you so much.

Lin,
Things will get better. You have had that amazing breakthrough with your family history when you were a child and that is going to make the whole rest of your life so much better. It is only normal to think life stinks when you have so many adversities so close together. You'll feel better soon. In the meantime, all that walking is just terrific.

Lauren,
I am really going to school on you. Right now I am trying to eat at the low end of my range. I bet you're right that it's almost time to drop into the next lower range. Ever think you'd feel great about having less to eat? Look at what you're accomplishing.

Gotta run--I'm beat--but I wanted to say hello.
Love,
Judy
234/thinner/199 by Christmas
Old 10-19-2001, 01:38 PM   #23  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Judy, congratulations on that three pounds! Woo hoo!! Way to go!

Don't worry about whether or not you're back where you were. The important thing is that you met your challenges and are back on track.

I'm just checking in today. I've still been walking, but it's TOM and I probably will not walk as far for the next couple of days. I wake up several times during the night at this time and it leaves me really wiped out for a few days. So, I'm going for a short walk to pick up a couple of necessities at the store.

I've used a few banked points today. I have plenty to cover my slightly increased appetite. What's cool is that I haven't been having binge-like cravings for chocolate or potato chips or anything else. Just wanting to eat a little bit more, but not so much that banked points won't cover. And it's only been a day or so, not two whole weeks of this.

So, I'm on track. And everything else is about the same.

Hope everyone is doing fine.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/243/135 or so
Old 10-20-2001, 10:38 AM   #24  
Chick

Angry

Hi,
Am on my way to a baby shower/Halloween party. Don't ask! I like the people, so it should be fun. Another eating challenge.
I've got my box of raisins and a WW 2point bar with me and I'll run out to the car and eat them if I have to. If the other food is too expensive to consume right now. I'm comparing WW to being on a food budget of points--some things just aren't worth having to pay off in added pounds, etc. for the few delicious tastes they provide.

Lin,
Good idea to keep others posted--someone may just have a car they're not using, etc. I hope this obstacle gets removed quickly.
Good luck with your PMSing, etc.

Everybody--good luck--I'm sorry I'm so rushed lately, but I'll get back to this shortly.

Love and good vibes,
Judy
234/thinner
Old 10-20-2001, 06:02 PM   #25  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Judy, I hope you had fun at the party. Your plan is a good one, bringing alternate food in case what's served doesn't fit into your point range.

I like your food budget idea. It's a good way to look at it. I do a similar thing, but don't have a particular name for it. Just deciding whether it's worth the points or not. Sometimes I eat one bite and it's not. So I toss it or leave it on my plate. I'm stingy about my points. I refuse to waste them on food that I don't like.

Today is going fine. I'm still using a few banked points, but I think that by tomorrow or the next day I will be eating within my range again. I am getting in a short walk each day. Monday will probably be the first day back to my new, rambling walking routine.

Tomorrow is my weigh-in day. I'll check back and let you know how it goes. I may be up a bit because as of right now, I'm still bloated. It takes a few days for that to go away.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/243/135 or so
Old 10-21-2001, 05:39 PM   #26  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Just checking in, since today is my weigh-in day.

I'm down a pound, despite it being TOM! Hard to believe, but there it is. I'm happy with that loss. That's three pounds this month. It's slow, but that's why I'm a turtle.

I'm not using my banked points today. I used them for the past couple of days because I was hungry in the evening, which is unusual for me. But last night, I wasn't hungry, so I guess my appetite is back to normal.

I'm going for a walk after I finish this post. My son may come with me, so it will probably be a long one. He always does a lot of walking. His legs are about twice as long as mine, so I really have to push to keep up. He gives me a real workout and some company while I walk.

Gotta go. Hope you're having a great weekend.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/242/135 or so
Old 10-22-2001, 08:26 PM   #27  
Chick

Angry

Lin,
Congrats on being down a whole pound, especially during TOM!
That's wonderful. Isn't it great seeing your weight go in the direction you want? Three pounds for the month is considerabe and I don't hear you saying you are miserable or hating the food you're eating, etc. so that's all a very good thing.

Lauren, Mousie, Kimmers, Kathy, and All,
Take care out there and keep on keepin' on.

I've had a busy week. Too much to do too much of the time. I am keeping my WW program at the forefront which is what I *have* to do or I gain weight. It takes about ten minutes to pack all the food I eat for breakfast, snacks, and lunch. It's well worth it because that's what keeps me on track daily.

Last week at my WW meeting we had a substitute speaker. At first I was disappointed because I love my regular lecturer, but this one had good things to say too. She posted a list of words:
These are the ones I remember: choice, risk, persist, change,
faith, trust, --that's about it. I should have written them down.
She said that using different words and actions to suit the situation we're in can help us reach goal. She plateaued for 22 weeks because when she lost, she celebrated by eating. Then she'd gain a pound and have to work extra hard to get it off.
I bet many of us have done that. I certainly have.
As I said before, I realize how many times I am not in control of the food being served and it's up to me to persist, to plan and to carry out the ideas I know will work best for me in WW.

Good luck to all of us on this interesting journey to self-understanding and weight loss.

Judy
234/thinner/ 199 by Christmas!!!!
Old 10-22-2001, 10:54 PM   #28  
Senior Tortoise

Hey, Lin, way to go on that pound down, even with TOM! Woo-hoo!

Judy, WAY TO GO on sticking with the program and peeling off those 3 pounds! Awesome! That story about the 22-month plateau really hits home for me. It doesn't take much for me to lose focus, that's for sure. I've been doing OK but not great for the past week or so, mostly due to eating out a lot. We were in Columbus this past weekend with friends, and they didn't eat terribly healthy (and we ate what they did). Between that and TOM looming, I think I'll be up this week. Of course, I thought that last week, too, but I really think it's the case now. I'm also finding that my journaling is slipping. Hmmmmmmm.

At least I've kept up the exercise, which is good. In Columbus we got good walks in both days -- more than an hour one day (leisurely pace) and about 30 minutes the next (brisk pace). Good thing, because I didn't get in my Friday workout or today's. I've learned I just have to grab time to exercise or it won't happen.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 10-23-2001, 09:08 AM   #29  
Senior Tortoise

Well, my home weigh-in has me down another pound. I'm not complaining. Must be the exercise.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/208/199 by Christmas (home scales, morning)
Old 10-23-2001, 05:03 PM   #30  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Judy, you hit the nail right on the head (if you'll all pardon the cliche) when you said that this is a journey to self-understanding and weight loss. I know that the better I understand myself, the more successful I am with my weight loss. Mainly because when things aren't going well, I can't change the situation unless I understand it.

Lauren, great job on the exercise. It makes more of a difference than anything. I'm sure that my walking, added to the supplements, is what made the most difference for me with this past week. And congrats on the pound. I think you're going to hit that 199 by your Christmas goal, if you keep on going the way you have been. That's so great.

I'd love to be below 200 by next Christmas (2002). That's a real possibility, if I can stick with this pound a week average I'm starting to see. (My fantasy is to get to my goal by then, but unless the rate at which the pounds go away speeds up, that won't happen. It's OK with me, obviously, since I said this was a fantasy.)

I just got back from my walk. I seem to be going about an hour and a half. I ate more points at dinner last night than I usually do, but found it easy to make them up by eating less this morning because I wasn't as hungry. I thought I was coming down with the flu yesterday, but it turned out that all I needed was some extra sleep. I'm fine today.

Things are going just fine. My oldest son is off maneuvering his way through the inadequate public transportation system in this town. He has to get to a specific lab for a standard drug test. When he passes, he has a job. And his boss said there's no problem with him having the two weekdays off he needs because he has to be in SJ those days. Life is going better for him.

My other son is doing better in school than he thought he was. He's passing all of his classes except one. And he's working with his teacher in the class he's having difficulty with. He really admires this teacher. He says she's brilliant, but really hard. It's unusual for a kid to like a teacher who is flunking him.

My dh's boss is letting him make up one of the days he missed, which will help us in our quest to save enough to get the car fixed. My dh is considering buying a cheap used car from one of those places where it doesn't matter if your credit is awful or not. Then using that car until we can get this one fixed, and we'll have two cars. I'm a little dubious, but I'm willing to check into it in November when we'll have some money set aside we could use for taxes, insurance, etc.

So, things are much better. Can you tell TOM is past it's worst part? I'm my old, optimistic self. I assume things will be better, somehow.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/242/135 or so
Closed Thread