Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:04 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default White whole wheat flour

Apparently it is not an oxymoron! This is a naturally occuring albino variety of the hard red winter wheat that we all know and love. I found an old USA Today link here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...te-wheat_x.htm

Since DH is whole grain challenged, and these days with DD in house we no longer have the luxury of 2 or 3 separate meals for everone, I'm trying to figure out more ways to get whole grains in our diet in a way that is unobjectionable to him. Has anyone tried this flour? How does it work for you in baking and other recipes?

Also does anyone know if there is pasta available that is made from this stuff. We love pasta around here, and he finds whole grain and even part whole grain pastas (like the Barilla in the yellow box) objectionable. To be honest, I'll eat them, but am not really wild about them either, even though I prefer whole wheat/whole grain breads.

Anne

Last edited by AnneWonders; 10-10-2006 at 10:00 AM.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #2  

My regular whole wheat flour is King Arthur Mill, which is the brand that was mentioned in the article. I'll have to see if I can find some next time I go to the store. I think a lot of people (my DD being one of them too) are turned off by the wheat texture and taste, but it seems like now we might be able to fool them!

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/deta...=1160486182668
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #3  

My friend grinds her own and I think she gets the white wheat from South Dakota. I can hardly tell with the ww pasta that it is ww. When it's cooked and in a casserole it is barely recognizeable as ww. My family never even notices and my dh is not a ww person.......really gripes when I put it in pizza dough.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #4  
it's always something

I use the white whole wheat! It is softer than regular whole wheat, though it's not AS soft as regular. I've had good luck with it so far. There are a lot of things I bake which I can't use all WW flour or they won't turn out, so I usually use a mixture. I've not had that problem with the white ww.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

If you're looking for ways to boost whole grains, I'd recommend quinoa. It tastes great, is a good source of vegetable protein and makes great fillings (for stuffed vegetables, quesadillas, etc).

Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms

1/2 cup quinoa (I've also made this dish with pasta stars and blue cheese instead of feta)
2 big portabello mushrooms (substitute peppers, or zucchini or some other to-be-stuffed vegetables if mushrooms aren't popular at your place)
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup kalamata olives
a little olive oil
1/2 chopped red pepper
Fresh basil leaves (to taste)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
small red onion, chopped
minced garlic to taste
feta cheese to taste
1/2 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (not the kind in oil!)

Prepare quinoa, set aside. Saute onions, garlic in a little olive oil for 3 minutes. Add sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, quinoa, spices, pine nuts, fresh basil. Saute for 4-5 minutes (mine got a little dry, so I added a little juice from the kalamata olives).

Wipe the portabello mushrooms with a paper towel. Cut off stems. Spray some PAM on a cookie sheet, put the portabellos stem side up. Scoop on filling until fully covered. Sprinkle on desired amount of feta cheese (low fat is okay!!) Top with diced red pepper. Broil until cheese melts and red peppers roast - about 10 minutes (keep checking). Serve with a salad.

I also like to make black bean, sweet potato and quinoa quesadillas. Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll PM it!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #6  

I use it all the time to bake the church communion bread. Works great. Like with any whole wheat flour, baked goods are a bit more crumbly than with traditional white flour.. my experience.. YMMV of course.

I get this brand at Trader Joe's, but it is available in lots of stores

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
Apparently it is not an oxymoron! This is a naturally occuring albino variety of the hard red winter wheat that we all know and love. I found an old USA Today link here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...te-wheat_x.htm

Since DH is whole grain challenged, and these days with DD in house we no longer have the luxury of 2 or 3 separate meals for everone, I'm trying to figure out more ways to get whole grains in our diet in a way that is unobjectionable to him. Has anyone tried this flour? How does it work for you in baking and other recipes?

Also does anyone know if there is pasta available that is made from this stuff. We love pasta around here, and he finds whole grain and even part whole grain pastas (like the Barilla in the yellow box) objectionable. To be honest, I'll eat them, but am not really wild about them either, even though I prefer whole wheat/whole grain breads.

Anne
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #7  

Linda, do you have the recipe handy where you could post it? The bread I make each week is a brown beer bread; it has a great consistency but is a little sweet. When I make regular wheat bread, I still use all wheat flour and it's still dark but not as sweet. I would be interested in a bread recipe that uses the white whole wheat.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #8  

Kat, here you go.. being that it is communion bread, it has no yeast.. but I like it anyway

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. white flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. oil
3/4 c. water
1/4 c. honey

Sift all the dry ingredients together. Mix all the
wet ingredients together in a mixing cup so the honey
is well dilluted and doesn't settle to the bottom.
Mix into the dry ingredients - will make a very soft
and sticky dough. Portion into 5-6 balls and pat into
circles, roll between sheets of parchment paper. Bake
at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
My notes.. this is a very very wet dough, almost between a batter and a dough. You sort of have to plop mounds of it on a cookie sheet (I cover mine with parchment paper) and mound this into free form round loaves. I double the recipe and make 5 rounds and bake them ~20-25 minutes. If I only made a single recipe, I wouldn't make more than 2-3 rounds.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #9  

Thanks, Linda. I think I'll try this in a few days.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
If you're looking for ways to boost whole grains, I'd recommend quinoa. It tastes great, is a good source of vegetable protein and makes great fillings (for stuffed vegetables, quesadillas, etc).
I'm a fan. One of my favorite whole grains is actually millet, yes the yellow specs found most commonly in bird seed in this country. And I have a zillion wonderful recipies I can't actually use now, unless I want to cook 2 dinners when I just barely have time to get one together. The problem is DH. (The only things in your recipe I could actually get him to eat are olive oil, garlic, and red pepper. I have to sneak anything healthy to him, hence the white whole wheat thing.

Anne
Old 10-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Glory, your recipes always sound sooo good. You could make a vegetarian out of me yet! Back when we were young and struggling, my DH used to call us "economic vegetarians" which is to say we couldn't afford to each much meat. We really don't eat a lot - mostly salmon and chicken.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #12  

Just a suggestion, maybe mix white whole wheat flour with 1/2 regular flour and slowly increase to all white whole wheat. I have a friend who did this with her picky kids. FWIW, I tried the King Arthur, and while I thought it was good, my family continues to like the regular brown whole wheat. Weirdos!
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyofsix View Post
Just a suggestion, maybe mix white whole wheat flour with 1/2 regular flour and slowly increase to all white whole wheat. I have a friend who did this with her picky kids. FWIW, I tried the King Arthur, and while I thought it was good, my family continues to like the regular brown whole wheat. Weirdos!
Joy, thanks for the suggestion--I know it works for a lot of people. Unfortunately, I've already tried that one, and it really didn't work. DH won't stand for the part whole grain pastas either. DD is much more adventurous than her father and it works just fine for her. At least for now. Sometimes I feel like I've got two children in the house, and I really wish he'd just be a grown-up about it and try to expand his tastes some.

Anne
Old 10-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #14  

I baked a loaf of bread with the white whole wheat flour, and it was quite good. Soft, with the right texture and taste. It was however, on the brown side, which would not be noticeable in a sweet bread or muffin, but was obvious in my bread. I told DH I used honey instead of sugar in the recipe (also true) and he didn't question it beyond that.

So it gets a thumbs up from me.

Anne
Old 10-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #15  

You are baaaaad, Anne! However, we all promise not to tell him.