Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/278 (doc visit 10/22)/130

Height: 5'5 (and one-quarter!)

Default 100 Calorie Packs are the devil, and why I'm in this forum :D

Hi there!

I'm new to 3FC, and I was glad to see this spot for a "Whole Foods Lifestyle"....I am insulin resistant, and have learned that most refined/processed/"packaged" foods do not agree with my body. This is why WW is a problem, I think. A lot of people will eat the little Dorito or Oreo packs (I sure did!) and think, "Whoo, I'm being healthy, b/c it's low-cal". Sadly, we all know that stuff is full of chemicals and empty carbs, and isn't healthy in any way.

I am working "Beach Watchers", whereas I follow the SB principles (on Phase 1, but I do allow 1 6 oz. cup of SF, FF yogurt per day, 'cuz I lurve it), but ideally stay within my WW points range. I keep going over, LOL, but I have been SB-perfect for 2 days (except for too many nuts, I CAN'T have nuts!), and I feel soopah

Just wanted to drop in and say hi as a fellow total-package gal interested in eating a very healthful as well as weight-loss inducing way.

I buy organic when it's available/affordable, I love my whole-grain pasta, brown rice, and Ezekiel bread (when I get to Phase 2 again), and I WILL break my fast-food habit!

PS--I confess to having 3 cans of Diet Cherry Pepsi today....sweets cravings are kicking my azz this week thanks to TOM

Anyway, feel free to talk to me anytime!

-Jen
halloweengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There are some people the 100 calorie packs don't work for, and some they do. I'm glad you found out that they aren't OK for you - good luck on beating the TOM sweet cravings, I'm sending you lots of
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:24 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

Oooh, forgot to add - if you're looking for a less expensive way to buy your organic produce, have you checked out Community Supported Agriculture programs? Basically, you buy a "share" in a farm and for however long your subscription lasts, you get a box of whatever is growing at the farm weekly. Its fresh, doesn't have to travel far at all, and has AMAZING flavor, plus its all organic and local.

check out www.localharvest.org to search for farmers markets and CSA programs in your area.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #4  

You're right, I didn't mean to judge others who love their 100 Cal Packs...hope I didn't insult anyone. God knows I have my "Treat" vices, LOL. Sorry about that. I just meant to say that for me, they are BIG trouble.

Oh yeah, those produce co-ops are great! My mom is actually a distrubutor for the one near our homes. But DF and I just can't afford it right now (I'm looking for work, ack), although my mom talks about it all the time Definitely next year
Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #5  

Hi, glad you're working toward getting healthy. I'm afraid to say too much because I've only been eating really well since April, maybe in a year I can give advice, until then welcome.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

I didn't mean to imply it was offensive (eesh, internet communication is HARD...I always come across differently than I mean to).

Welcome, BTW! Don't know if I've said that yet.

I can't have the 100 cal packs either...but because I eat 2-3, and thats a 200-300 calorie pack.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #7  

No worries! I need to think before I post, LOL

I hear ya on the 200-300 calorie packs....plus, they make me feel kinda crappy.

Yay for SB!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #8  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Hiiiiiiiiiiii Jen! Welcome to the forum!

Okay, speaking of that dang TOM, I went to Brewster's Ice Cream stand and ordered a single, then a double, then went back to a single scoop of 'Stick in the Mud' ice cream. It's chocolate ice cream with chocolate covered pretzel ball pieces and gooey fudge swirled in. Oh......my.......God! Was it ever divine!!!!! I was craving something cold, chocolatey, and crunchy and it fit the bill! Other than that, I've been doing pretty darn good with my wholefoods/superfoods low calorie approach. And because of that, I felt NO GUILT about my ice cream! I wanted one today, but felt too bloated and yucky to drive there! Oh well, that could be a monthly treat for me!

Anyways, I've noticed the hoopla beginning to die down on the forum, but I believe most of us are still here and others still check in from time to time. Keep on posting and getting to know us, and allowing us to get to know you!

Luv your avatar! Are you a redhead? Also, I got a chance to visit Denver a couple of years ago. It was pretty cool! I had three cousins (one of them played for the Broncos) move out there all at one time and they love it!

Well, talk to ya soon!

~Hope~
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #9  

I am indeed a redhead, with a temper to match, LOL

Denver is awesome, just wish it was a little more affordable. Ah well, that will motivate me to get slim & sexy and land a power job
Old 09-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #10  

Redheads are sublime. Got any brothers?

Mandalinn, I got what you were saying and it didn't seem "wrong".

The 100 cal packs are like complete teases. They just don't do it for me.
iggystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:39 AM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Welcome Jen! As Hope says, we started off with lots of postings, and have died back a little but I think we're all still working at this WOE. BTW where is Jayde these days? And Dolly? So - glad to meet you!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:50 AM   #12  
it's always something

I've wondered about Jayde, too! The whole foods forum was her brainchild, and her input has been invaluable. I hope everything is ok!

Oops, sorry to hijack your thread!
Ok, whole foods: good - 100 Cal packs: bad
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I agree that the thread has lost a lot of hoopla, or whatever. It's sad to see days when nothing new has been posted.

As for those 100 calorie packs. I buy them, but not for me. My DD is trying to lose a few pounds as well, and she craves the starches. I buy them for her and she is satisfied with just one. If I buy a box of the same thing, she'll sit and eat half the box without thinking. Teenagers!!! While I'd prefer she didn't eat them at all, I have decided it isn't all that great to be too restrictive with a teenager (it just causes more angst!)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

I gotta admit that I like the 100 cal packs. Being honest with myself, I really love junk food, even though I try to avoid it, but avoid too long and sure enough I'll end up face first in a bag of Cheetos at some inopportune moment. But the 100 cal packs are just enough to scratch that itch, so the rest of my diet can be pretty healthy. The size for me is really good for portion control, because I'll pretty much eat to the bottom of whatever bag or box I open.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The only 100 calorie packs that I've used are the popcorn 100 calorie packs. For 100 calories, you get quite a bit of popcorn.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote