Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:22 AM   #1  

Default Flax oil capsules for teen?

My 14yo dd is a vegetarian, has been for three years. Her diet isn't great but probably no worse than most teens. My concern is her lack of omega 3's. We discussed it and she won't do fish oil and doesn't like the taste of flax oil in salad dressing for instance. I was thinking a flax oil capsule might be good, but I don't know what brand would be of high quality. Any suggestions? For the record, she doesn't like nuts either so I can't get her to eat walnuts.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Does she eat eggs? I buy the Eggland's Best eggs and while they cost a bit more than regular eggs, they contain three times the amount of Omega-3. It's a thought.

As for Flax oil caps, I take the ones from Natrol that are Omega-3 complex (omega-3, flax, borage). When they're gone though, I'm getting the Fish Oil caps from Costco because I heard they are one of the best. Too bad you can't put them in a Flax oil bottle and trick her (oops, did I say that out loud??) -- I wonder if she could tell the difference? Neither of them smell that I can tell.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #3  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I use Now brand and really like them. There are a few other things you could try - Nature's Path makes some really good cereals with flax in them, and hulled hemp seeds are a great source of omega-3's. They're really tasty, and it's easy to eat a handful.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote