Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #1  

Default Ummm...what?

I'm reading through Superfoods Rx. In my copy it's page 81, but your copy may be different. At any rate, the section I'm in is the chapter on oats, under the heading "Whole Grains and Your Health". There is a line that says,

Quote:
When you consider that in the United States, strokes are a leading cause of mobidity and death, with an estimated 700,000 strokes annually causing roughtly forty billion deaths a year, you can see that convincing Americans to add the Superfood oats and other whole grains to their diet is well worth the effort.
Given that the total population of the earth right now is at 6.5 billion (roughly)...how can the above statement be right? What am I misunderstanding? Somebody help!
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Geezalou! 40 billion deaths must HAVE to be a typo! Not even 4 billion (out of 6.5 billion?). Maybe 4 million? My book is at work but I'm looking this up first thing tomorrow morning.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #3  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

weird.
shyla2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:40 AM   #4  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

mousie, there must be a typo in your book! From pages 80-81 in SuperFoods RX, my book says:

When you consider that in the United States, strokes are a leading cause of morbidity and death, with an estimated 700,000 strokes annually costing roughly forty billion dollars a year, you can see that convincing Americans to add the SuperFood oats and other whole grains to their diet is well worth the effort.

Check again and if your book does indeed say what you wrote, somebody made a mistake! Where did you purchase your copy from?
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:50 AM   #5  

I just checked my book, and my copy says "dollars", also. If it is a typo, it was likely corrected in later reprints - sounds like maybe you got an earlier copy of the book?

Good catch!!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #6  

Nope, double checked, mine says "deaths". It's a library copy. First edition, 2004. Must have been a typo. Thanks, everyone, for helping me figure this out! Forty billion DOLLARS makes far more sense!
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #7  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Glad we got that cleared up! My copy is also 2004. I asked about where you got it from because I recently joined Zooba.com and ordered some books. But there is something strange about them. The pages are really, REALLY thin and frail and are NOT the same quality as the ones in a bookstore or like the ones I get through Amazon. The books themselves are ALL solid navy blue and look like 'knockoffs'. Hmmmm...
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote