Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #1  

Default Getting Started

I've been long interested in eating a whole foods diet, but really don't know where to get started.

Heeeeeeelp.

Thanks.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Maybe start by simply evaluating what you're doing now -- what kinds of foods are you eating that you're happy with? What are the first you can change? What challenges do you anticipate?

Also, for info, read read read here and some of the books recommended!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #3  

The books, "Superfoods RX" and "Superfoods Healthstyle" are a great place to start if you want all the information on what makes a food "super", and what the benefits of these various foods are. Not everyone can afford to buy books, though, so the list that Nelie kindly pinned to the top of this forum about the list of superfoods and their sidekicks (as well as the recommended intake each week) is a wonderful starting point.

Whole foods eating is really about eating foods in as natural a state as possible - how far you take the concept is really up to you. For me, it has meant eliminating almost all processed foods and choosing organic meat, eggs, and dairy, and some organic produce. I cook with an abundance of grains, fresh fruit and vegetables, and lean proteins.

A great way to begin is to cut out processed foods - 100 calorie packs, Kraft dinner, Lean Cuisines, etc. Choose snacks that are "whole" - apples, pears, fresh or dried berries, maybe some nuts. Natural peanut butter on whole grain bread vs. Jif on white. Traditional or steel-cut oats over Quaker packets - that kind of thing. Focus on cooking from scratch rather than relying on processed shortcuts. Work on introducing as many superfoods each day as you can - with a little creativity, it's amazing how many you can squeeze into a single meal.

Some people take it one step at a time - others, like me, just jump in the deep end with both feet. For me, it was easier to just immerse myself in this new way of eating - I cleared out the kitchen and got rid of the processed stuff or anything that didn't really "fit" anymore, and went shopping to fill the house with superfoods. That was it - I just woke up and started, and haven't looked back. You have to find what works for you, though - it may be baby steps or it may be the full monty

There's a lot of beauty to this way of eating. In just a couple of weeks I've noticed a tremendous change in how I feel, both physically and mentally. I started out calorie counting, but have realized the last couple of days that I really don't even need to count that closely now, as I've never gone over my intake for the day - I'm just not eating the kinds of foods, or in a way, that burns through calories quickly. It's allowed me to become more relaxed, and focus more on making good choices - I really love it!!!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:32 AM   #4  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlove
Some people take it one step at a time - others, like me, just jump in the deep end with both feet. For me, it was easier to just immerse myself in this new way of eating - I cleared out the kitchen and got rid of the processed stuff or anything that didn't really "fit" anymore, and went shopping to fill the house with superfoods. That was it - I just woke up and started, and haven't looked back. You have to find what works for you, though - it may be baby steps or it may be the full monty
DITTO!

Quote:
There's a lot of beauty to this way of eating. In just a couple of weeks I've noticed a tremendous change in how I feel, both physically and mentally. I started out calorie counting, but have realized the last couple of days that I really don't even need to count that closely now, as I've never gone over my intake for the day - I'm just not eating the kinds of foods, or in a way, that burns through calories quickly. It's allowed me to become more relaxed, and focus more on making good choices - I really love it!!!
DOUBLE DITTO!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #5  

Quote:
The books, "Superfoods RX" and "Superfoods Healthstyle" are a great place to start if you want all the information on what makes a food "super", and what the benefits of these various foods are. Not everyone can afford to buy books, though, so the list that Nelie kindly pinned to the top of this forum about the list of superfoods and their sidekicks (as well as the recommended intake each week) is a wonderful starting point.
Also, try your local library!

Quote:
I completely agree! It took me a long, long time to realize that I believed certain things about my body and the way it should be cared for, and yet I wasn't living by those beliefs. Instead I had allowed myself to be swayed by all the "diet tricks" out there--the "a calorie is a calorie" speak, the fake foods, the processed-lowfat-lowsugar-Frankfood products that were supposed to be just as good as the real thing or somehow miraculously better.

I'll tell the story (and copy the article I wrote for myself) if anyone is interested, but short version is that I suddenly realized what I was doing to myself, put my foot down, and started living according to what I believe. I even wear a bracelet that I had custom made that says "Integrity" on one side and "Truth" on the other, to remind me. And I feel sooooooooooooooo much better about myself! I no longer feel llike I'm fighting myself, and I no longer feel like a hypocrite. The difference is really amazing.
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #6  

I would say start by increasing your fruit and vegetable intake. Once you are eating the 5-9 rec servings of those you can switch over to whole grain products. After that you're nearly there I would say. It just takes tweaking for what you like and how you live.

I sort of fell into a whole foods lifestyle. I was maybe 50% there when I decided to lose weight. I found that whole, unprocessed foods let me eat alot more than processed stuff. It genuinely was about being able to eat more and still lose weight in the beginning. Switching to whole foods had the effect of making me (and my family) feel better. When this thread started it just seemed like the place to be.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousie
I even wear a bracelet that I had custom made that says "Integrity" on one side and "Truth" on the other, to remind me.
Thank you for saying this. It really hit home with me.

I wear, and have for nearly two years, a yellow LiveStrong band. My sister died four years ago at age 47 from cervical/vaginal cancer -- much too young and totally avoidable if she had been able to have checkups. However, living in a small town and having a totally inept doctor (details are irrelevant but available by PM if you're interested in the subject) had her with symptoms for about 5 years with no diagnosis or treatment. I digress ...

If I am to believe in the LiveStrong philosophy, why am I abusing my body? Why am I not taking every precaution to ensure that I am totally healthy, totally cared for and pampered and treated like I deserve? Why do I daily do things that are counterproductive to me "Living Strong"? These are the things that will keep me awake tonight.

I have recently discovered the SuperFoods book ... which to me isn't exactly a Food Bible but more of a starting point ... and from there have tried to incorporate as many unprocessed, natural foods into my diet that I can. Having said that, though, I must admit that I am human and have failed on more than one occasion (today being one of them).

And so -- with God and all of you as my witness -- today is the start of a different mindset. I must and I *will* do this for my health. Weight becomes secondary when I think of keeping my body healthy, but it is a natural follow-on. When I put my body back into the state that God made it to be in, then I truly believe the rest will fall into place.

Off of the soapbox now!! This is where I'll be hanging around from now on, so hello! I'm anxious to become acquainted with you all.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #8  

Hi katpo! Welcome to the flock. We all sound like religious converts, don't we?

I would do this: promise myself (yourself) that I would eat all the fresh, natural foods I wanted, but avoid anything processed, chemical, or "made up", for one week. You'll feel so much better, physically and mentally, that you'll start to really HATE the idea of having to have something processed. You'll feel soooooooooooo much better, really! If you're tempted, ask yourself: is this the last time the company is going to make that food? Is this your LAST CHANCE EVER to have it? That stops me in my tracks.

Welcome again!
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Thank you very much! Tonight has really been quite an eye-opener for me, and your bracelet comment was what sealed the deal. I'm not usually such a super "preachy" person, but I do know that God didn't create me just so I could mess myself up! I am so much better than that!

Lunch is made for tomorrow and the plan is in place.

And now, beginme, thanks for letting me hijack and temporarily sidetrack your post and original question. It seems that you can find all the information on Whole Foods right here; whether in the sticky posts that include lots of good lists and other resources, and also by reading what people eat each day, and the questions that others ask and answer. Good luck to you!
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #10  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

wow you guys sound like my friend! She is sooo into whole foods and eating 'naturally'... she has given me tips but I find it soo hard. My mind says to do it but it is so easy to fill the grocery cart with those 100 cal snacks and lean cruisenes... sigh.. give me some advice.
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #11  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

ps does this mean no crystal lite?
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:09 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/248.5/160

Height: 5 Ft. 6 In.

Beginme, I'm not as brave and ambitious as Heather, but that RX Super Food site she sent me to when I first joined was outstanding. I have made small changes and it's working for me. I am eating assorted nuts and dried fruits for snacks instead of cookies or chips. I'm using Olive oil and sauteeing instead of frying in deep fat. Next week, I'll replace a few more things. It's like I'm sneaking up on ME. LOL. I do know that the nuts sure curb the cravings. Just do what works for you.
harkeyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #13  

Thanks so much for the info. I really relate to the person who said she felt like a hypocrite because she believed one thing and yet did another.

Over the years, I've been getting closer and closer to what I believe. I quit eating meat, except for fish. Yet I still struggle with many processed foods that I KNOW aren't compatible with what I believe and what's good for my body.

It is so hard to change our habits. But, your posts are really encouraging. Thanks.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

Height: 5'5"

I am joining you all on this by adding one "meal" or "food" at a time. I have started SuperFoods in 2005 and again this year, but when something happens I tend to go back to my old habits.

Anyway - this week, I added breakfast - a mixed berry cobbler made w/ oatmeal, flax seed, all bran, walnuts and cheerios (lol) as the topping.
buddha belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:26 PM   #15  
Lookin for my collarbones

For me, it has been for the last year and a half a mental thing - not at all eating/living how I want to, but somehow, my mind and emotions have been preparing to make changes. I'm just starting now to actually make different choices in what I eat.

One thing that has helped me finally get over the hump and get the next stage started (i.e., actually beginning to make good food choices) is reading the Super Foods book. I've always known that whole grains and lots of fruit and veggies and fish and all that other stuff is "good for you" and how you "should" eat. But for me and my twisted brain, I needed to know a lot more of the science behind it, which I got a baby steps start of with the Super Foods book. I'm going to read the second one, and then go from there. I'm sure there are lots of good sources of information.

One other thing I found about Pratt's book in particular is that he makes it sound so easy to get started. Gee, you mean all I need for breakfast is some yummy yogurt, blueberries, and a slice of whole wheat toast, and I'm treating my body well? No problem! Even *I* can do that!

What I'm trying to say, is that when I'm eating my black bean whole wheat wrap with lots of tomato salsa, it just feels so darn good to me to think of all the specific good stuff I'm doing for my body and health, as opposed to "gee, arent' I being good, blah blah blah." And so yummy to boot!
Rabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote