Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
This never worked for me. I used to eat sushi every day at my heaviest weight. Too much rice. If I had just had the fish (sashimi) I would have done much better.

On snails, 12 have 100 calories with 20g of protein which is pretty awesome. I pan sear them with a little spray of olive oil, garlic and parsley after washing them well. For a treat I will scramble them with egg.

A low fat, low calorie, high protein bomb. Delish.

And I would rethink the gym. Not yet. But when you get below 200lbs, it will give a real boost to your weightloss, physique, fitness and general well-being. Never say never.
!

I started eating sashimi lately. It's not quite as exciting as sushi rolls, of course, but I just love raw fish. So sashimi is now on my frequent foods list, at least for when I have money to eat out. ^_^

I really need to pull that can of snails out of the cupboard. I have them, I like them, it just never occurs to me to eat them.

As for the gym... yeah, eventually. Mind you, I don't even know yet if I'll get down below 200 lbs. If I kept the amount of lean mass I have right now, or gain more lean mass (which is possible since I'm losing at 3 lb/month and eating lots of protein), I'd be at most 30% body fat at 200 lbs, which is healthy. I don't plan on dropping below 25%...

Anyway, I'm pretty active as-is. My pacemaker tech people even exclaimed on it last month (apparently my pacemaker keeps track of that). So I'm not lacking for activity, or for the lean mass that weight training would increase. Probably I'd just go if I wanted to be more toned, which is entirely possible once I get down around my goal weight... ^_^

Or I guess I might if my weight loss reaches a plateau. I'd rather get more cardio than eat less, most likely.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #17  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am guessing you will lose a lot of muscle regardless of what you eat if you lose weight. It is really hard to retain muscle when you lose weight, especially from the high 200s and beyond. I think you will break 200. If you are a guy, then 190 at 5'10" is a good final target based on my friends. For a lady, less.

Last edited by IanG; 10-25-2014 at 07:15 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 248?/173/130

Milks and creams are all about the percentage of fat. Whole milk has the most fat, then 2%, 1% and skim. Skim is not less healthy, lol. It's the same stuff with less fat.

As you go up the scale, you go from whole milk to half & half, light whipping cream, heavy whipping cream.

If weight loss and health are your goals, the skim milk is the way to go! Whole milk just means it has more fat, so more calories...not that it's more of a "health food." It's all the same stuff.

You should listen to the dietician. She's giving you good advice.

I count calories, but I use mynetdiary. You have to pay like $60 a year if your dietitian didn't give you a discount code, but they have a place where you can ask an actual dietitian questions...and you get really thorough answers, so you might like it. The food diary has cute little pictures, too, lol.

I started with My Fitness Pal, but switched to My Net Diary. Sifting through all those many options when entering food on my Fitness Pal and figuring out if it was right or wrong was a pain. The Net Diary has better recipe options and you can just copy a previous meal so easily.

I can track more things on My Net Diary, too - vitamins, minerals, blood pressure, etc.

It sounds like I work for them, doesn't it? I don't. I just really like the site.
Stripes 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:47 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Low-fat and minimal sugar are classic weight loss advice, what's the problem with that? As I recall, the book Thin for Life is highly regarded in this forum, and that's what it suggests. The National Weight Loss Registry had found that the people who were most likely to keep weight off long-term were eating a low-fat diet. Certainly junk food isn't good for weight loss (not that I'm against the occasional treat, we have nachos at our local pub every now and again, but you don't want to make it a regular thing), and that correlates with this.

I'm vegan with a wholefoods diet, and that's naturally low-fat and low-sugar.

Of course, I wouldn't be at all surprised if many dieticians are poorly informed, the only one I've encountered decided that I was gluten-intolerant based purely on my tendency to put on weight centrally and got me to go on a completely pointless gluten-free diet for a year. I have definitely found that GPs get minimal training in healthy eating and weight loss, and can't even advise someone with gallstones on how to avoid gallstone attacks, or help a patient figure out a sensible calorie allowance. Not to mention that they too are notorious for making snap judgements based on a glance at the patient, which can go either way. I've had doctors insist that I was getting blue lips due to being underweight when I was actually borderline overweight, and a slim friend who has put on muscle but not fat was told off for her perfectly healthy weight gain.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #20  
flyin purple people eater

S/C/G: sz 20/22 --> sz 10/12 --> sz 8

The problem with low fat advice is when we turn to low fat processed foods. That essentially means high sugar, which will help drive metabolic diseases. High sugar is what makes people fat.

I know everyone is different, and I can only convey my experience, but I've lost a lot of weight while still enjoying full fat milk, butter, and plenty of cheese. I eat nuts, avocados, olive oil and coconut oil. I have used an online calorie and nutrient tracker, and my fat percentage is always way above what is recommended. And yet? My skin is glowing, inches are dropping off and I feel great.

Eating high fat foods gives satiety and that is key to a weight loss programme, imo. When I was bingeing on carbs and sugar, I could eat eight slices of white bread toast with cinnamon sugar and still be hungry.

Last edited by Raisin5Cookies; 10-12-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Raisin5Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #21  
New Healthy Mum

S/C/G: 229/145.5/141

Height: 5ft8

Well a low fat/sugar free option sounds a lot like what they plug at Slimming World & Weight Watchers. They also usually plug high carb at the same time and your body always feels rubbish.

Yes I lost my first stone on Slimming World but it took a long time and I have lost weight much quicker and kept it off by going Paleo and following a wholesome diet.

I love greek yoghurt and will have it and give it to my kids. But I also have whole milk, butter etc and find that by having coconut oil you can lose a decent amount.

Since going Paleo in July I have gone from 12st4 to 10st5.5 that is my current weight. But I wouldn't listen to them, just because thats what they plug doesn't mean they follow it themselves.
sammymilner is offline   Reply With Quote