Weekly food bill, whats your's?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • I love that Costco carries organic now. We spend 200 dollars a month and we can get so many organic products.
  • Just at Costco? No way groceries can be that cheap for more than 1 person. You must not eat!
  • I shop a lot at Whole Foods;
    organic milk
    organic eggs
    wild salmon
    grass fed beef
    organic chicken
    organic fruit and veggies
    dried goods
    Typical bill for the week is $250 for 4 people

I spend another $100-150 per week for paper goods, ice cream, cereal (etc) and misc. items at Costo, Kroger etc.
  • About $150/month for my daughter and I (and my boyfriend who eats dinner with me about 4 days/week). We don't buy many packaged foods, go to Aldi's, Asian grocery stores, PriceRite, and Trader Joe's for a few ingredients.
  • $300-400 for two adults and two two year old boys.

Those boys eat more than any of us ever have.
  • Anyone know of any other "health food" stores in Maryland that are not as expensive as Whole Foods....where I can get organic produce, grains in bulk, gluten free and some vegan foods?
  • I think we probably spent about 40-60 a week. It's just two of us and we buy produce and almost no meat, and I shop at Whole Foods for some things and King Soopers for the rest.
  • diet and food bill
    oh boy. im hoping that actually dieting will help reduce my food bill.. (even though i just grabbed lunch out for convenience). im pretty sure my food bill for a week for just me is about 70-80 a week at least but then again im a student so eating on campus is expensive and its hard to pack a lunch when youre just rolling out of bed to catch the bus to class. Its also hard to store a lunch in a lunchbox when youre commuting. anyone have any advice on how to cut down the bill. besides stopping the take out and eating out? or ideas on what food to pack for snacks and meals when im on campus? Im usually on campus from 8-3 on mwf and then 9-1 on tuesday and thursday!
  • I live in central Alaska so things here are a little pricier as far as groceries, but for my husband and I we usually end up right around $500 a month. When I lived in Idaho I got a cartful of groceries (not as healthy since it was college) for about $65. *sigh*
  • Family of 4, my husband 2 adult children and I. We shop Whole Foods, Costco, Mariano's and Sam's Club. Only buy organic, and living a clean eating lifestyle. We spend about $300 a week (not including personal items/toiletry items, cleaning products or paper products). I would love to get that total down to $200 a week. One day!
  • Quote: Family of 4, my husband 2 adult children and I. We shop Whole Foods, Costco, Mariano's and Sam's Club. Only buy organic, and living a clean eating lifestyle. We spend about $300 a week (not including personal items/toiletry items, cleaning products or paper products). I would love to get that total down to $200 a week. One day!
    If you have an Aldi near you, they have an organic line that is very inexpensive. Also I would go with Trader Joe's prices any day over Whole Foods (and even the regular grocery store, at that!). Going meatless a few dinners a week can cut your bill too!
  • For one person who lives alone, weekly its roughly $50, depending on how organic I'm feeling. If I buy everything organic possible, then it's easily as high as $80-90 because I have to go to chains like Schnucks and Fresh Market to find organic anything. But if I ignore organic and simply buy the cheapest produce at Walmart, it's like $30.
  • I buy almost everything organic as long as it is available. I usually shop the day I'm cooking it to avoid it going to waste. If I buy a lot at once it usually ends up going bad on me. I will say my food bill used to be much lower before!!
  • I know this is an old thread but it is a topic I am always curious about. I shop for three and one is a ten year old boy. It's usually about 150. a week for just food. We never go out to eat and I cook most of our food from scratch. I just cook so much of it and need to learn healthier ways of cooking. I grew up on meat and potatoes with vegetables heavily buttered and cooked to a limp grey. I have progressed from that but it's hard to break the programming. I want to change now so I can help my son not end up like me.
  • around $40/week for me! I am not a strict vegetarian but find it cheaper to shop that way as a student.
    A typical list for me includes:

- bread
    - eggs or tofu
    - cheese
    - hummus
    - tomatoes
    - cucumber
    - carrots
    - salad
    - almond milk
    - two types of fruit
    - dried fruit if I run out (this week: prunes)
    - yogurt

I have a lot in my pantry and that list is the longest version I would have if I'm not out of eggs, yogurt or bread, for example. I also have quite a bit in my pantry already.