Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 153/147.6/130

Height: 5'4"

My husband and I really like quinoa too.

It can be pricy but we got a giant bag of quinoa at Costco for a good price. We just keep it in the refrigerator so it keeps longer.

We often eat it with black beans, tomatos, green onion which is very nice side dish.
LilacGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #17  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

Height: 5'4"

I've been looking for something to replace rice in my diet. Definitely going to try some quinoa. =D
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #18  

This sounds really good! I'm trying to 'eat clean', so I'm going to give this a try.

Can I buy this at the grocery store?
sunflowers8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #19  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've seen it in regular grocery stores, usually where the rice is at.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 145/124/?

Height: 5" 4

Love it. It's really good with toasted pine nuts, red onion, lemon juice, cilantro.
HappyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #21  

Height: 5'3"

I have never tried it before so I bought some today. I am so glad that I have found this thread. I like the suggestion to eat it with black beans because those are my favourite bean.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #22  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

One of my favorite dishes in the warmer months is quinoa salad. I lightly sautee red onion, red or green pepper, zucchini, garlic, and a serrrano pepper. Then I mix the veggies and quinoa together with corn (which I toast) and black beans, then I dress the whole thing with a lime and cumin dressing and lots of fresh cilantro. It is SO GOOD and really healthy and low in calories. Sometimes I add grilled chicken, other times I eat it on its own. It's my standby for summer parties and potlucks and people always love it.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
One of my favorite dishes in the warmer months is quinoa salad. I lightly sautee red onion, red or green pepper, zucchini, garlic, and a serrrano pepper. Then I mix the veggies and quinoa together with corn (which I toast) and black beans, then I dress the whole thing with a lime and cumin dressing and lots of fresh cilantro. It is SO GOOD and really healthy and low in calories. Sometimes I add grilled chicken, other times I eat it on its own. It's my standby for summer parties and potlucks and people always love it.
It sounds lovely.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #24  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

I like quinoa a lot, but even if I rinse it, the taste is somewhat green and grassy.

I've begun buying it pre-washed from Bob's Red Mill and dry-toasting it beforehand in a skillet, then later adding vegetable broth to cook it.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #25  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I adore quinoa. We recently found a nice recipe where you make the quinoa as normal, and in a pan saute in olive oil chopped carrots, onion, garlic, celery, red bell pepper, leeks and pine nuts. Saute until carrots are cooked through and I like a little caramelizing on the onions. Mix altogether with the quinoa and it is a delicious side dish!

Edit: I saw someone mention that they weren't sure you could make this in a rice cooker. You can, absolutely. It's how I prepare mine. Use the same water:quinoa ratio you would in the pot. The cooker automatically turns off when it should.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 05-21-2012 at 08:20 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #26  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It also cooks well in a crockpot (even overnight). I tend to lose recipes or have difficulty finding them, so I find most of my recipes online. Even the crockpot quinoa recipes I usually find by typing "crockpot quinoa" in the google search bar, and then looking for recipes that include reviews from people who've tried the recipe. Or I'll go directly to the sites I know have customer reviews (such as allrecipes.com).

Overnight quinoa does tend to be creamier than other cooking methods. Even in a crockpot, if I'm cooking it during the day when I'm going to be home to check on it, I usually will turn off the crockpot when the quinoa is tender but still "pops" against your teeth. Overnight quinoa tends to be much softer and there's less "pop" but it has a creamy texture that's just as good, just different.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #27  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

Quinoa goes well with chicken, with kale, and with parsely, in my opinion.
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

I love quinoa. I eat it plain as a side dish to replace rice. My mum sometimes puts it in porridge. It's much more filling than rice (probably because of all the protien).
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #29  
the muse of memory

I used quinoa in lieu of bulger wheat when making tabouleh a couple of weeks ago. Basically: cooked quinoa, mixed with chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, scallions, with a bunch (or two) of parsley and some mint from the garden finely, finely chopped, dressed with a light vinagrette made mostly of lemon juice, with salt, garlic, and a bit of olive oil.

It is exactly the same texture as bulger wheat, and has added protein.

I was also in Peru in May. There was surprisingly little quinoa on the menus. It is apparently particularly expensive for locals in Peru right now because of its popularity in the States. I'm not sure how I feel about that, (vaguely guilty) but it has not stopped me from enjoying quinoa.

I did have an Andean vegetable soup several places, which combined quinoa, with local veg (a stripped green summer squash, rather like zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, lima beans, onions) in a broth, maybe with cilantro, sometimes served with Andean cheese. (I liked Andean cheese, but not in soup. It didn't do well when melty, IMO). It was always delicious, but I somehow feel like I'm missing some especial ingredient in there, because I don't think my approximations have matched it.

Last edited by mnemosyne; 08-14-2012 at 02:16 PM.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #30  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

I often wondered how Quinoa taste. It's expensive in my area. I would love to try it though.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote